Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£10,000 Parking Charge *Resolved*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:16 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: £10,000 Parking Charge *Resolved* Reply with quote

I received the attached in the post today, a demand to remove my bike or they will sell it and a parking charge of £10,000.

The only problem is my bike was not there for that time because the engine seized in November, its been at my address since then. Plus Qpark offer free parking to motorbikes at this site.

Its really odd any ideas on what i should do and if i should be worried?

PS. I've tried calling but goes to answer machine.

*Resolved*

I called up today 17/12/2018 and spoke to the lady in question, turns out because my bike looked ragged, old and i had used the same bike parking spot it looked like my bike had been there over 6 months (with out taking it home, which is not true.

Apparently they had someone check the bikes everyday at 7:30am and my bike was always there... I said yeah because i come in at 7:00am you can check the cameras that i leave at 3pm everyday.

Anyway she said don't worry about the letter, the £10,000 charge is only to scare people into calling up and not ignoring the letter.

Apparently they have tons of expensive cars and bikes people have left for months and they want to get rid of them as they are taking up parking spaces.

Last edited by Toccs on 12:10 - 17 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a bike there with your reg?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:25 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Write to them, get everything recorded delivery. Tell them that this could not be your motorcycle, and ask them for photos. You may also need to send them images of your bike to prove that yours is at home but don't do that yet.

Sounds like it could be a cloned plate or similar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely do as MarJay says. IF the UK is any similar to the Czech rep., then sitting on your arse doing nothing will result in you effectively admitting the offense and acknowledging the £10K fine/charge.

Once you get to the point of no return (defence), you're done.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:42 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them an £11,000 parking charge and see what they do. Thumbs Up

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: £10,000 Parking Charge Reply with quote

Toccs wrote:
I received the attached in the post today, a demand to remove my bike or they will sell it and a parking charge of £10,000.

The only problem is my bike was not there for that time because the engine seized in November, its been at my address since then. Plus Qpark offer free parking to motorbikes at this site.

Its really odd any ideas on what i should do and if i should be worried?

PS. I've tried calling but goes to answer machine.

Something fishy going on here. You don't say that you have never parked at that car park, so presumably you HAVE parked there but not since your engine seized. You also don't say that the make and model are wrong, so presumably they are right.

That leaves 3 possibilities that I can imagine:

1. There's something you're not telling us.

2. Someone has cloned another bike identical to yours and parked it in the same car park you use for the 240-odd days it would take to rack up 10 grand of parking - all without you even noticing. Not very likely TBH.

3. They have number plate reading kit at that car park that has clocked you going in sometime last year but not going out. It's Christmas and they are having a tidy-up of their records so you've got an automatic email based on what the computer says is the current situation at the car park because this Alina bird is too lazy to go down and check or even pick up the phone.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:30 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: £10,000 Parking Charge Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Something fishy going on here. You don't say that you have never parked at that car park, so presumably you HAVE parked there but not since your engine seized. You also don't say that the make and model are wrong, so presumably they are right.

That leaves 3 possibilities that I can imagine:

1. There's something you're not telling us.

2. Someone has cloned another bike identical to yours and parked it in the same car park you use for the 240-odd days it would take to rack up 10 grand of parking - all without you even noticing. Not very likely TBH.

3. They have number plate reading kit at that car park that has clocked you going in sometime last year but not going out. It's Christmas and they are having a tidy-up of their records so you've got an automatic email based on what the computer says is the current situation at the car park because this Alina bird is too lazy to go down and check or even pick up the phone.

Good point... So some extra info.

The make and model are correct on the letter and the address, i have been parking here for 4 years and its free, i come in at 7am and leave at 3pm everyday its never there over night.

However, i know that there are allot of bikes in the lot that have been there for months even years so i think the letter is intended for them and I've been mixed up in it somehow.

My bike broke on the 23rd of November and i walked it home. I've been getting the train ever since and passing my DAS (Which i did Smile ) My bike is currently sitting on my driveway and has been since the 23rd.

1. There is nothing i'm not telling, which is why i find it so odd.

2. Never seen anyone else with my plates i know most of the bikes that park there.

3. This seems most likely, except she has actually signed the letter with an ink pen. Its not a photo copy.

I've tried calling the head office and the lady who sent the letter but no one is answering. There is nothing on the letter to say how to pay or what i need to do, or even a reference number.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd scan the letter and attach it to an email along with a photo of the bike sitting in your garden awaiting repair, telling her not to bother you again.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If parking is free and your bikes not there at the moment just ignore it, how can they remove something that's not there!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:48 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

almostthere wrote:
If parking is free and your bikes not there at the moment just ignore it, how can they remove something that's not there!

If they take him to court or something it could be difficult for him, so it's best to nip it in the bud now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very odd to me but all you can do is what MarJay is saying, write to them asking for further proof and do this right now. The sooner you start the better.

Also and I'm sticking my neck out here, a chat to the police on this situation, if the registration is being used on a similar bike, having the police involved might be helpful..

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:24 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alina-guiste-48892374/?originalSubdomain=uk

could try messaging her direct through linked in

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:29 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't get into any sort of drawn out argument or explanation.

I would probably confine myself to sending them a written statement thanking them for their notice dated 6th of December and stating that your motorcyle is not currently at the location in question, nor was it there on the date the notice was issued or at any time during the intervening period.

I'd finish by stating that I consider the matter closed and do not expect to receive any further correspondance on the subject unless they feel they are in a position to append evidence to the contrary.

You are under no obligation to provide them with evidence they are wrong, Refute their allegation and leave the ball in their court. Keep your powder dry.

Worth taking a time and date stamped picture of the bike in its current location (with todays paper in shot?) so you can definatively prove its there now. Also worth hanging on to any receipts for parts so you could later prove your story about a breakdown.

If you can remember the date and time you removed the bike from the carpark, it would be worthwhile making a subject access request for CCTV footage of you pushing it out. Either from their CCTV or other CCTV that overlooks your route.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:18 - 15 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do everything in writing rather than over the phone.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: £10,000 Parking Charge Reply with quote

Toccs wrote:

Have you evidence it's been at your place and not at theirs during the period in question? Did you SORN it, for instance?

Unsure about the conditions there might be if the above isn't so about "free parking", or whether they've cocked it up and don't know it's a motorbike.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: £10,000 Parking Charge Reply with quote

Toccs wrote:

My bike broke on the 23rd of November and i walked it home.

I assume that they use some form of ANPR to track vehicles entering and exiting the car park.
When you walked the bike home did you walk it on the footpath?
If so, then I assume that the cameras wouldn't have registered it leaving?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: £10,000 Parking Charge Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:
Toccs wrote:

I assume that they use some form of ANPR to track vehicles entering and exiting the car park.

It couldn't possibly have racked up 250 days of parking charges in 3 weeks.

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:12 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: £10,000 Parking Charge Reply with quote

andy_uk wrote:
Toccs wrote:

Yeah they use ANPR. No it broke down half way to work, walked it home from the A3 about 5 miles.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you never even made it to the car park then.....

Do as stinkwheel suggested.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It clearly states that they offer free parking to motorcycles on that site on their website.

They even instruct you to ride around the barriers to gain access. It's not like they have any terms and conditions. I would take screenshots of such information before they remove it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
It clearly states that they offer free parking to motorcycles on that site on their website.

They even instruct you to ride around the barriers to gain access. It's not like they have any terms and conditions. I would take screenshots of such information before they remove it.

Free parking doesn't mean "park however many bikes as you like all year round for free". If there's no 'long term' caveat I'd be very surprised.

EDIT: here you go, from their T&C's:

Quote:
10. LIENS
10.1 We reserve the right to hold your vehicle until we have received payment for all parking charges due to us and we reserve the right to refuse any vehicle until those charges have been paid.
10.2 If you intend to leave your vehicle in the Car Park for more than 28 days we recommend that you notify us in writing of your intention to do so.
10.3 We reserve the right to sell any vehicle which we reasonably believe to have been abandoned and shall be entitled to regard as abandoned any vehicle which has been in the Car Park for more than 28 days without prior notification and which is not known to be covered by a current valid season ticket.
10.4 Before proceeding with the disposal of abandoned vehicles, we will;
10.4.1.1 Make reasonable enquires with a view to identifying and contacting the registered owner of the vehicle in question;
10.4.1.2 Give 28 days notice of our intention to do so to the registered owner by pre-paid post addressed to the registered owner’s last known address.
10.5 Abandoned vehicles will be sold by auction whenever practicable and the proceeds of the sale will be applied in and towards satisfaction of all sums owing to us together with the expenses of sale and in connection with such sale we shall be entitled to charge reasonable garage charges in respect of the period during which the vehicle is in our possession.
10.6 Any balance of these sales proceeds remaining after satisfaction of such sums shall be held by us on behalf of the registered owner of the vehicle and paid over on proof of

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:49 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[obvious question] You were only parking in the motorcycle bays and not anywhere else?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 16 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It apears to be the in thing to monetise free parking by setting up ANPR and sending nastygrams to people who used the parking for two shore periods of time days apart. It's happening at the Centurion Retail Park/McDonalds in Doncaster and at the One Stop in LS7. I've had to yell at my idiot friends who nearly paidt he fine becuse they didn't know how to protest.

Cost the fuckers some money with an appeal to POPLA, and ignore them untill they take you to court.

Pepipoo https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=e8e7538b401a96d95f81843efeebfa8c&showtopic=46975

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's a very good link.
I too have noticed the surge in Parking Eye type systems which are cropping up around the country.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add except I hope it gets sorted OK and get an ambulance chaser to sue the tits off them for the stress caused. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2