Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£10,000 Parking Charge *Resolved*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Update *Resolved* Reply with quote

I called up today and spoke to the lady in question, turns out because my bike looked ragged, old and i had used the same bike parking spot it looked like my bike had been there over 6 months (with out taking it home, which is not true.

Apparently they had someone check the bikes everyday at 7:30am and my bike was always there... I said yeah because i come in at 7:00am you can check the cameras that i leave at 3pm everyday.

Anyway she said don't worry about the letter, the £10,000 charge is only to scare people into calling up and not ignoring the letter.

Apparently they have tons of expensive cars and bikes people have left for months and they want to get rid of them as they are taking up parking spaces.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Cost the fuckers some money with an appeal to POPLA, and ignore them untill they take you to court.

Pepipoo https://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=e8e7538b401a96d95f81843efeebfa8c&showtopic=46975

That thread says:

"When dealing with "tickets" from private parking companies (PPCs) our advice is either:

1) Ignore all communications (other than in the extremely unlikely event that you receive genuine court papers - there were only 49 cases going to court last year out of over one million tickets issued); or

Is that still good advice? Anyone?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Update *Resolved* Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Write to them, get everything recorded delivery

Courier265 wrote:
write to them asking for further proof and do this right now

stinkwheel wrote:
I would probably confine myself to sending them a written statement

Ste wrote:
Do everything in writing rather than over the phone.

cb1rocket wrote:
Do as stinkwheel suggested.

Toccs wrote:
I called up today and spoke to the lady in question
[...]
she said don't worry about the letter, the £10,000 charge is only to scare people into calling up and not ignoring the letter.

So that's alright then Rolling Eyes

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:33 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

no its never good advice to ignore letters like that... Because in the rare chance you do get taken to court. You have to pay all fees fines and legal charges. Its hardly worth ignoring over when you end up with a bill that could be in the tens of thousands...

Toccs
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:08 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Update *Resolved* Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Write to them, get everything recorded delivery

Courier265 wrote:
write to them asking for further proof and do this right now

stinkwheel wrote:
I would probably confine myself to sending them a written statement

Ste wrote:
Do everything in writing rather than over the phone.

cb1rocket wrote:
Do as stinkwheel suggested.

Toccs wrote:
I called up today and spoke to the lady in question
[...]
she said don't worry about the letter, the £10,000 charge is only to scare people into calling up and not ignoring the letter.

So that's alright then Rolling Eyes

She also sent me an email confirming what was said when we spoke over the phone. Is that not good enough still?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Update *Resolved* Reply with quote

Toccs wrote:
Apparently they had someone check the bikes everyday at 7:30am and my bike was always there...

Pure potato that.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Update *Resolved* Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Toccs wrote:
Apparently they had someone check the bikes everyday at 7:30am and my bike was always there...

Pure potato that.

Init. Did they ever check on a Saturday? I bet all those bikes would have disappeared...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:04 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the level of potato involved in checking the bikes at 7:30am etc.. I strongly suggest you get something in writing to show you are off of the hook. As soon as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Judging by the level of potato involved in checking the bikes at 7:30am etc.. I strongly suggest you get something in writing to show you are off of the hook. As soon as possible.

He has, e-mail.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:25 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

He has, e-mail.

I'd rather have a hard copy on headed paper. An email is not a legally recognized document, unless it's an electronically signed document or whatever.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I'd rather have a hard copy on headed paper. An email is not a legally recognized document, unless it's an electronically signed document or whatever.

Well, when I was with Shell they considered all e-mails as legally binding as hand written.

I would be happy with it. It can be traced back to whoever sent it.

Anyway, his choice whether to pursue it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:18 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Update *Resolved* Reply with quote

Toccs wrote:

She also sent me an email confirming what was said when we spoke over the phone. Is that not good enough still?

For future reference - if you can, record all calls.
I use the ACR app for android to record all calls.

It's saved me about £10 pm on a phone contract when they claimed they'd never offered me that deal and a totally separate £320 CCJ from bailiffs acting for three.
They denied all knowledge of the call where they agreed my contract should have been cancelled and stopped all legal proceedings then.
Luckily I kept the recordings across two phones and several years; I'd have had no proof at all that they'd previously said this and had the CCJ + fees to pay if I hadn't.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Update *Resolved* Reply with quote

G wrote:
Toccs wrote:

For future reference - if you can, record all calls.
I use the ACR app for android to record all calls.

It's saved me about £10 pm on a phone contract when they claimed they'd never offered me that deal and a totally separate £320 CCJ from bailiffs acting for three.
They denied all knowledge of the call where they agreed my contract should have been cancelled and stopped all legal proceedings then.
Luckily I kept the recordings across two phones and several years; I'd have had no proof at all that they'd previously said this and had the CCJ + fees to pay if I hadn't.

I use that too, although I think there are issues with newer versions of android? Normally when I get a phonecall from a company (particularly after I've emailed them) I assume they're calling to lie about something.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:36 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACR is a bitch and every so often when there's been an Android update, it only records what I'm saying and not what the other person is saying.

Plus I get bored every so often and delete everything it's recorded cos there won't be anything important in that load of recordings which I can't be bothered to sift through. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:56 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine used to do that years ago, but has worked fine recently.

And soooo glad I didn't delete the ones from years ago!
Also meant that the hour plus I was on the phone moaning to a supervisor at the Bailiff-company was their time entirely wasted Very Happy. (I had it on a hands free and was doing my own thing.)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, resolved... fantastic Cool

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're supposed to notify people that calls are recorded. Note that replying to the automated recording saying the call is being recorded by saying you are as well for the purposes of verifying and archiving the coversation is entirely adequate.

Hearing people flip out when you remind them that the call is being recorded is hillarious. Particularly when you've caught them lying to you or doing something that's going to get them fired.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
You're supposed to notify people that calls are recorded.

Not sure that's correct actually. I think the roolz are that if a phone conversation is being recorded, then at least one of the parties on the call needs to be aware of it; ie even if that is the person making the recording. I'm sure that the Data Protection folk will have a different view, but that would apply to the 'corporate' end of the call, not you the end customer. But that's a different issue to considering what's admissible as evidence in a court hearing.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
talkToTheHat wrote:
You're supposed to notify people that calls are recorded.

Not sure that's correct actually. I think the roolz are that if a phone conversation is being recorded, then at least one of the parties on the call needs to be aware of it; ie even if that is the person making the recording. I'm sure that the Data Protection folk will have a different view, but that would apply to the 'corporate' end of the call, not you the end customer. But that's a different issue to considering what's admissible as evidence in a court hearing.

I'm fairly sure you're mixing in some US law there (a "One party" state), which can also vary from state to state. - In the UK, you can record all you want, but it's inadmissable in an english court of law if you don't inform the other party that you're recording at a reasonable opportunity that it's being recorded. It's just fine in prvate cases, tirbunals etc, as I've used it in 2 tribunals. It's greta watching someone trot out the "That's Illegal!" phrase when you tell them what you're about to play back, and they get informed otherwise by the legal advisor present. I suspect it happens a lot, jusging from the reactions of those staffing tribunals.

It's why Watchdog etc can do what they do without getting sued into oblivion for recording audio.

This was a few (5?) years back, so the law may have changed in the meantime.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:47 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easier to assume that all calls are being recorded.

Most calls are recorded, aren't they?

Lo-Fi
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:56 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely for ‘training purposes’ of course. Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:14 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further, I believe the 'admissible in court' thing only applies to companies - not to the other way around.

But yes, always amusing when someone that won't speak to you when they hear the call is being recorded. "So, what WERE you going to tell me before you realised I would have proof you said it?"

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo-Fi wrote:
Purely for ‘training purposes’ of course. Laughing

I remember years ago now, someone trolling PayPal, and recording the conversation and putting it online, their reasoning being "calls may be recorded". I think that might be why the wording changed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 126 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2