Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Play in front caliper - normal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Play in front caliper - normal? Reply with quote

Morning all

I noticed yesterday that there's some play in the front caliper on my ER5. The side that bolts to the fork is obviously rock solid, but the sliding part of the caliper has a bit of play to it (not much, a few mm at most). Is this normal? I'm guessing the play is due to the slide pins but I'm not sure how "perfect" they're supposed to be. It seems to brake perfectly fine and I haven't noticed anything amiss in that department.

Cheers

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: caliper Reply with quote

The caliper hydraulic unit needs to be able to slide, how are the discs, badly worn and tapered?

How are the pads?

How much tip is there when the brakes are applied and have you lost much brake lever pressure travel, meaning a tipping caliper is using up brake lever travel before the brakes come on.

How bad are the slide pins in the caliper holder, the part that's bolted to the fork leg.

Pictures and or video of the movement.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: caliper Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
The caliper hydraulic unit needs to be able to slide, how are the discs, badly worn and tapered?

How are the pads?

How much tip is there when the brakes are applied and have you lost much brake lever pressure travel, meaning a tipping caliper is using up brake lever travel before the brakes come on.

How bad are the slide pins in the caliper holder, the part that's bolted to the fork leg.

Pictures and or video of the movement.

The wheel is off at the moment while I'm fashioning my own mudguard extender. I'll video it when it's back on.

The pads and disc are good and the brakes act quickly when applied (certainly comparable to my 500 mile old summer bike which is saying something for the Kwak given it has done 24k miles).

The best way I can describe it at the moment (given the caliper isn't attached to the fork so going off memory) is there's a slight wobble to it if grasped and wiggled. It's minimal but I am just wondering if any play at all should be expected, or if given it slides on pins we would expect a little bit of play?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:44 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why sliding calipers are not as good as fixed ones.

Can you post a video of the movement so we can see how drastic it is? My VFR has sliding calipers and they seem to move quite a bit when the brake is applied. What doesn't help is that the left one is pivotted to enable the dual CBS, so it floats about all over the chip shop.

If it's a mm or even two I wouldn't worry. Much more than that and there may be something amiss. Do the sliders look new or worn?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
This is why sliding calipers are not as good as fixed ones.

Can you post a video of the movement so we can see how drastic it is? My VFR has sliding calipers and they seem to move quite a bit when the brake is applied. What doesn't help is that the left one is pivotted to enable the dual CBS, so it floats about all over the chip shop.

If it's a mm or even two I wouldn't worry. Much more than that and there may be something amiss. Do the sliders look new or worn?

I think it falls into your last paragraph, but I'll drop the wheel and caliper back on tonight and get a video if I get chance.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the video sorted!

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: play Reply with quote

The final giggle would suggest that that's about the max before the system looses pressure travel on the brake lever, how is it without the pads??

Looks as if the caliper could do with a service, pads stuck and need a clean/lub.

Pads lub, obviously NO ( NO !!!! ) lub on the disc or pad friction surface, but, they will need to be able to "slide" on the area where they transmit the braking force to the pad holder. If they are stiff in that area they cannot "move" towards the disc when they wear.

Brakes need at least 2 services a year, one pre winter and one after all the salt has gone from the roads.

caliper piston free ?? If its not free, the haudraulic seal cannot "re form" after it has deformed due to the brakes being applied. It re forms and pulls the piston back into the haudraulic unit slightly, thus free ing the pads, from the disc slightly.

It seems i have forgotten how haudraulic is spelt.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:18 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers bikenut. To be honest they don’t seem to be seized or stuck - performance is good and there’s still meat on the pads although they will need changing.

You’re probably right in that they need a service though. Tempted to leave it until spring though as they seem to be working ok....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:01 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's ok. My SV does the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: pads Reply with quote

a stitch in time..........

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:40 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Finally got the video sorted!

It's basically impossible to remove all play from sliding calipers, which is why they are not as good as fixed calipers. This looks perfectly within the acceptable range. If your bike stops OK I really wouldn't worry.

This is one of the reasons my VFR brakes are so poor, they have tonnes of movement and some of it is even engineered in to trigger the Dual CBS linked braking system. The VFR could be a great bike if it just lost 20-40kg and had decent brakes. As it is, it's just a decent commuter.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Happy enough with it I think. Appreciate the input - it’s all a learning curve!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1