Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Death of the High Street?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large part of the problem is that we can buy most of the things we need from big supermarkets nowadays, rather than doing a food shop then getting other bits from town.

This is a fault of our judicial system. Years ago Local Authorities used to put Conditions on planning approvals for supermarkets restricting what they could sell to groceries. These Conditions were appealed over time and our glorious judicial system makes such Conditions unenforceable nowadays.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a small child I remember getting dragged along the high street by my mum: small supermarket, butchers, green grocers, Woolworths etc every week. There was also a small electrical shop, a couple of newsagents, a record shop, pharmacy, jewellers, fish mongers, shoe shop, couple of clothing shops, camping shop that also sold workmans wear, lighting shop, cobblers.
With the exception of the jewellers, pretty much all of that stuff is in Tesco Extra, and can be delivered.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:39 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone bemoans the death of the highstreet, but IMHO it's an outdated concept which is changing to reflect the needs of consumers. It's as daft as bemoaning the loss of coaching inns after the motor car became widespread.

I don't shop online because it's cheaper, I shop online because it's more convenient. It saves me an hour of my evening battling from work to the shops before they close (why oh why are shops and banks only open when all their customers are at work??), having to find a place to park and then deal with the general public whilst trying to find what I want in a shop that was organised by someone with ADD. Online you can search by sensible terms, filter it, they have every size in stock and its there when you get home a day or two later.

It's the same with Uber, it's not a cut price private hire taxi service, it's a different service offering, I dont need cash, or even to know where I am really, I dont need to call 4 different companies to be told they've no cars for the next half hour, it's just convenient.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother in laws garage was broken into yesterday, along with 7 others nearby. Someones started Christmas "shopping" then. Mad

As for the High Street, if you got any better than service with a snarl then you might want to use the shops.
When they aren't being surly, that's replaced with disinterestedness. I get why, but still. Poor staff attitude and
lack of knowledge in shops is what keeps me shopping online except when absolutely unavoidable. I bought a new
closed shackle lock yesterday in Screwfix to replace the bolt croppered one from the garage break in. I wanted to look
at a few before I chose one and you would think I had asked the bloke to forge me a padlock from scratch. When I realised
that this was a massive inconvenience to him I deliberately dithered and umm-ed and ahh-ed choosing the one I already had
sort of chosen already, just to inconvenience him some more before I bought it. I needed it immediately so couldn't wait for
an online order to arrive, with the garage being unlocked until the broken one was replaced. I'm certain he was glad when I left.
That made two of us, but at least I got a chuckle out of it.

Last edited by grr666 on 14:16 - 18 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
I reckon the city high streets will become more residential. All you Londoners are going to move to and live in Newcastle city center.

Funnily enough I live in London and just spent a week working in Newcastle, I came back thinking "I could actually live there" - probably the first UK city I've been to outside of London that I've genuinely considered.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Fourte wrote:
I reckon the city high streets will become more residential. All you Londoners are going to move to and live in Newcastle city center.

Funnily enough I live in London and just spent a week working in Newcastle, I came back thinking "I could actually live there" - probably the first UK city I've been to outside of London that I've genuinely considered.

I'll admit I've never been but been but I assumed it was shit due to housing being cheap, and surrounding areas regularly featuring on police interceptors Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here. Newcastle's finest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXNA5124qR0

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, there's some green bits...

https://explore-uk.illustreets.com/app/where-to-live-in-england?view=HyDkP8-hx&grid=HyDkP8-hx&map=-0.1123*51.5100*10
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually quite enjoy a wonder round a local town's shops, although never to buy anything specific, other than maybe lunch or a pint.

I enjoy looking in Charity/Second Hand Places, I also like Discount/pound shops too.

I collect old Video Games which I often get in charity/SH places. For some bizarre reason I like seeing what random shite they have for cheap in tat shops. Anything specific though Amazon/ebay FTW.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to buy from local shops and to support them, even chain stores.

but they never have what I want, so I go online Crying or Very sad

local Clarks shoe shop, the men section is upstairs, actually its two shelves in the kids section

New Look, have one 1/8th of the floor space for mens clothes, and no mens changing room.

Go Outdoors pile lots of tat up down the front of the shop, but when it comes to serious kit, it's very hit and miss.

Local sports shops, bar one on an industrial, are not really sports shops at all, they just sell awful casual wear and pump out dreary r'n'b music, and are populated by unfit yoofs.

nowhere left to buy any real electronic kit either.

Shopping on somehwere like Amazon, I fall down a rabbit hole...

In the olden days, I'd want say an electronic organiser, go to a local shop like Dixons. See maybe 7, discount 5 from my selection, and then choose between the 2.

Look for the equivalent, like a tablet, on Amazon now, get absolutely bamboozled by choice, and then waste 1/2an hour reading negative reviews. Confused

I'd better stop, before I catch teff syndrome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:55 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy all my A/V gear out of Richer Sounds cos the service is top notch. I'll often buy stuff in Halfords/Euro Car Parts too, prices generally are reasonable.

I also bought my car audio stuff from a local one man band because the service was great. I did over pay by 15-20% but the bloke was so helpful and really went the extra mile, although he does fitting he happily talked me through fitting and even gave me screws and crimps for nothing. Well worth the extra money IMO.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, I forgot about Euronics. As sort of chain/consortium of independents.

I buy all my big electrics from my local one, and they are wonderful.

But I rarely need that sort of stuff. I will always go there though, always.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Shopping' works when you don't really know what you want, Christmas is about the only time of year that applies Smile The rest of the time it's just easier to find it online, occasionally that'll mean click and collect from Argos but normally it means an online retailer.

Only food shopping and clothes really need to bought in person (IMO), unless you want moldy fruit and trainers that don't fit properly.

Most of the shops I like(d) have gone out of business, it seems to be the expensive stores with hardly any stock that are surviving.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did my entire Xmas shopping in the week before Xmas from the comfort of my own home and it is all being delivered tomorrow.

I didn't have to go and mingle with the great unwashed and I had 1000x the choice of items and the prices were better or the same as going into a store.

This is why the high street is dying.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many places will price match Amazon

I've got matched prices from both Currys and Go Outdoors this xmas.

Parking is my biggest gripe about shopping in town.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Many places will price match Amazon

I've got matched prices from both Currys and Go Outdoors this xmas.

Will they pay me to spend time in cold weather?
Will they pay for fuel and wear and tear on my vehicle?
Will they pay the extortionate parking charges?
Will they carry the stuff to my door?
Will they pay me for all the extra time spent on going round shops?

I am not a fan of losing physical shops because when you need something urgently or something specific you want to see in person before purchasing, then they can be useful but they are not going to survive except for some very niche products.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:24 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I buy all my A/V gear out of Richer Sounds cos the service is top notch. I'll often buy stuff in Halfords/Euro Car Parts too, prices generally are reasonable.

Me too, but ECP have stupid pricing that means it's only competitive when they have a deal on (which is almost always) and their online pricing is cheaper than their shops despite being the same stockholding, so I've actually stood in the queue in the shop and ordered online for click and collect.

M.C wrote:

Only food shopping and clothes really need to bought in person (IMO), unless you want moldy fruit and trainers that don't fit properly.

I've ordered all my supermarket shopping for delivery for the last 3 years and apart from the odd substitution, I'm yet to receive anthing I wouldnt have picked myself.

The Artist wrote:

Will they pay me to spend time in cold weather?
Will they pay for fuel and wear and tear on my vehicle?
Will they pay the extortionate parking charges?
Will they carry the stuff to my door?
Will they pay me for all the extra time spent on going round shops?

I am not a fan of losing physical shops because when you need something urgently or something specific you want to see in person before purchasing, then they can be useful but they are not going to survive except for some very niche products.

This!

Even the urgent aspect isn't so much of an issue now, for groceries and stuff you just need to be organised and for niche products Amazon will deliver most things next day and it's only getting better. I fitted a bath for a pal in the summer and realised his Mrs had never ordered the taps. Ordered saturday at breakfast and delivered sunday morning

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
I've ordered all my supermarket shopping for delivery for the last 3 years and apart from the odd substitution, I'm yet to receive anthing I wouldnt have picked myself.

Who do you use? Tesco always seem to have old fruit, I often have to rummage to find anything worth buying or leave the item altogether.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:14 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The high street is killing itself and local councils are tightening the noose.

I thought councils set business rates, but I was told today by an Accountant that they are set by Central Government.
Don't know if true though.

EDIT:

It appears it is Central Gov

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:33 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was meaning in regards to parking restrictions and charges.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

parking charges for shopping areas seems to be self defeating

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Councils set parking charges for two reasons:

1. To regain some income to spend on public services, because the current Government gives them less to spend on you each year.

2. To encourage people to use public transport and to shop locally.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
To encourage people to use public transport and to shop locally.

That's the point, people don't want to buy everything from the corner shop like it's 1952, or catch consumption on public transport. That's why they drive to somewhere where they can park.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 19 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a subtle form of social engineering to change people's habits. Cars pollute.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7