Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Death of the High Street?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Death of the High Street? Reply with quote

There's a lot of coverage being given to continuing shopping chain closures (Laura Ashley being the latest) and profit warnings for both high street and online retailers (ASOS today, shares down 40%).

High shops are allegedly, under siege because we are not buying enough.

But it's not just physical stores that are experiencing reduced demand, we're buying less from some online retailers too.

What's going on?

Is it financial uncertainty that is leading to people shopping less?
Is it wider environmental concerns meaning people want less manufactured stuff?
Is it boredom?
Or are people more cynical about price-setting meaning that they delay big purchases in the hope there will be a price reduction?
Have we just got too much stuff?
Has price-cutting by retailers back-fired and we feel ripped-off?

I dont shop nearly as much as I used to (I was olympic standard when I was earning) and it's not lack of funds. It's more that when I do go shopping I'm looking at a thing (clothes, cosmetics, gadgets) and thinking that "thing" just been designed to part me from my cash, my life will not be enhanced by buying that "thing", I'm going to buy a nice meal instead.

The amount of tat for sale this Christmas is utterly depressing, i refuse to join in.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Death of the High Street? Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:

And business rates. They're bleeding dry a sector in decline and hastening its decline.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Death of the High Street? Reply with quote

(with 8< )shopping chain closures (Laura Ashley being the latest) and profit warnings for both high street and online retailers (ASOS today, shares down 40%).

What's going on?

Is it boredom?
Or are people more cynical about price-setting meaning that they delay big purchases in the hope there will be a price reduction?

Average household debt is about 130% of household average income, not far off the 2008-9 figure, and household debt in the way of mortgage and unsecured debt is still outstripping rises in income. What was that in Dickens? Ah: Mr Micawber's recipe for happiness:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteenand six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it comes down to high house prices and tuition fee debt. I've already covered this in a previous thread. Basically that block of millennials should be starting to account for a lot of economic consumption for stuff to put their in their house and for their new baby. As they don't have a whole house they don't need more stuff. They have no house so they don't have a baby so they need even less stuff. And they can live their life with just clothes, a laptop, an iphone and an Oyster card. Laptops and iphones barely move forward too so you could use the same one for years Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
I think a lot of it comes down to high house prices and tuition fee debt. I've already covered this in a previous thread. Basically that block of millennials should be starting to account for a lot of economic consumption for stuff to put their in their house and for their new baby. As they don't have a whole house they don't need more stuff. They have no house so they don't have a baby so they need even less stuff. And they can live their life with just clothes, a laptop, an iphone and an Oyster card. Laptops and iphones barely move forward too so you could use the same one for years Laughing

I remember your thread, couldn't find it. Poor search skills Crying or Very sad

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say that this is again the news broadcasters making a story where there isn't one.

Laura Ashley, as an example, has been lolloping from disaster to disaster since the early 90's. I remember doing a case study on it in 6th form, back in 1992. Its fortunes have been wavering ever since ....

ASOS is a good example of what happens when tech becomes cheaper. Back in the day, ASOS effectively had a monopoly of brands getting online exposure. As tech and experience has got cheaper, more brands are going direct to their own market, bypassing ASOS completely. ASOS have sat back and watched it happen.

I think the high street could make immediate improvements by barring chuggers and those native Indian fella's with panpipes ...

On the subject of News, has anyone else noticed how much of a "News" program lasting 30 minutes, is approximately 2 minutes of factual news, and 28 minutes of peoples' opinion on the news, without necessarily referring to the facts presented ? They're all at it now .....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
ASOS is a good example of what happens when tech becomes cheaper. Back in the day, ASOS effectively had a monopoly of brands getting online exposure. As tech and experience has got cheaper, more brands are going direct to their own market, bypassing ASOS completely. ASOS have sat back and watched it happen.

It's interesting to see their share price history:

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Government and councils are refusing to recognise the reality of shopping habits in all but major shopping hubs. The majority of smaller and not so small towns will eventually find their 'High Streets' will become residential. The 'Out of Town' shopping facilities and 'The Net' are either more attractive over parking and with the net it comes straight to your door....and often cheaper.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
On the subject of News, has anyone else noticed how much of a "News" program lasting 30 minutes, is approximately 2 minutes of factual news, and 28 minutes of peoples' opinion on the news, without necessarily referring to the facts presented ? They're all at it now .....

Watch the headlines, turn it off. It's about what BS narratives you can get people to believe rather than the 'truth'. We're going backwards Sad

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:

Yes, very much. It allows broadcasters influence they did not have from news programmes before this format was introduced.

I have also noticed that there's a huge buzz at different times, then silence, as if someone has said: "Speak!" then "Shut up!". Libya, Syria, were prime examples.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
The 'Out of Town' shopping facilities and 'The Net' are either more attractive over parking and with the net it comes straight to your door....and often cheaper.

Clarkson said that in one of his (many) rants, that they make 50p from parking charges whilst every shops shut Very Happy

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As house price inflation slows, so does peoples desire to spend.
Worry about the economy and if they can't get that £30k from re-mortgaging again...again again because the can't see it coming back via inflation.

We've had a period of inflation (albeit fairly low).

Oil price has fallen a fair bit. Once brexit gets kicked out / kicked further down line. Pound will rise, lowering inflation further.

There is an argument that says low inflation leads to people not buying, because the next step is negative inflation. And why buy something today when you could buy it cheaper in 3 months.

Also, the news cycle has been nothing but negativity for the last 12-24 months. Both politically and economically.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:43 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's people expecting you to pay shop prices for internet service.

I went into town last week to buy a SIM free nokia 3310 handset, a single speed bicycle chain and a folding plastic bicycle mudguard.

I left 2 hours later with none of them having visited 3 bicycle shops and thee phone shops.

They all wanted to order them in for me. I could have done that from the comfort of my own armchair and for less money... which is what I did in the end. COuld have saved myself a tenner of fuel and three hours of my life.

Lest anyone thinks I'm asking for something unreasonable. The phone in question is comon and this years model. All the bicycle shops sell bikes with hub gears which use single speed chains.

I went to a shop because I had a broken bike chain and a broken phone handset and wanted a new one that day. The reason shops get to charge more than online is because they keep physical stock I can go and buy and walk away with in my hand there and then.

This is happening more and more. If a shop is just a glorified ebay storefront with fewer Chinese drop-shippers claiming to have stock in the UK, it ceases to have any point.

From that experience, I have little sympathy and am unlikely to go into town to buy shit any time soon.

Although at least M&S still stock underpants so I was able to do my annual top-up meaning the trip wasn't entirely a bust, although it cost me more in fuel than the postage would have been.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:48 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

Also, the news cycle has been nothing but negativity for the last 12-24 months. Both politically and economically.

I do feel, and I appreciate that there is a separate thread for this, since most of the news outlets didn't get the result they "wanted" on Brexit, they've been throwing their toys out of the pram ever since ....

I notice that the Daily Mail have now "highlighted" the plight of Chinese Muslims today. Its got to the point where there are so many "victims" in the world, I'm giving less and less of a $hit about any of them ..... back in my day, the only people you really had to feel sorry for were Gingers....

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

I don't know a single person who thinks hmm I better not make that purchase, I'll hold off as I might need the money for something else Smile

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I notice that the Daily Mail have now "highlighted" the plight of Chinese Muslims today.

Careful you don't trigger the Lord Percy on that one, he's a powerful man Very Happy

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook Marketplace. I’ve just kitted out the new house with good condition fridge/freezer, dishwasher and microwave for £110. Looking at double that just for a dishwasher.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's people expecting you to pay shop prices for internet service.

I went into town last week to buy a SIM free nokia 3310 handset, a single speed bicycle chain and a folding plastic bicycle mudguard.

I left 2 hours later with none of them having visited 3 bicycle shops and thee phone shops.

They all wanted to order them in for me. I could have done that from the comfort of my own armchair and for less money... which is what I did in the end. COuld have saved myself a tenner of fuel and three hours of my life.

Lest anyone thinks I'm asking for something unreasonable. The phone in question is comon and this years model. All the bicycle shops sell bikes with hub gears which use single speed chains.

I went to a shop because I had a broken bike chain and a broken phone handset and wanted a new one that day. The reason shops get to charge more than online is because they keep physical stock I can go and buy and walk away with in my hand there and then.

This is happening more and more. If a shop is just a glorified ebay storefront with fewer Chinese drop-shippers claiming to have stock in the UK, it ceases to have any point.

From that experience, I have little sympathy and am unlikely to go into town to buy shit any time soon.

Although at least M&S still stock underpants so I was able to do my annual top-up meaning the trip wasn't entirely a bust, although it cost me more in fuel than the postage would have been.

Did you find any coffee shops though? Laughing

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Death of the High Street? Reply with quote

There's a lot of coverage being given to continuing shopping chain closures (Laura Ashley being the latest) and profit warnings for both high street and online retailers (ASOS today, shares down 40%).

But it's not just physical stores that are experiencing reduced demand, we're buying less from some online retailers too.

What's going on?

Is it boredom?

I dont shop nearly as much as I used to (I was olympic standard when I was earning) and it's not lack of funds. It's more that when I do go shopping I'm looking at a thing (clothes, cosmetics, gadgets) and thinking that "thing" just been designed to part me from my cash, my life will not be enhanced by buying that "thing", I'm going to buy a nice meal instead.

The amount of tat for sale this Christmas is utterly depressing, i refuse to join in.

You also run out of things to buy.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is surely due to:

1. Internet sales

2. Corporate giants who can handle low prices and absorb the competition.

UK needs better anti-monopoly laws.

Or perhaps proper taxation on those massive corporate entities, the takings of which could be used to help small businesses.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:47 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narp @ financial uncertainty.
Narp @ wider environmental concerns.
Narp @ boredom.

It's not so much delaying purchases in the hope that there will be a price reduction as it is how much time and effort you're willing to put in to find where the item is already at a reduced price.

People have never got enough stuff. The perfect number of bikes to have is n+1 and the same equation can be applied to almost all types of stuff people have.

We've always known we were being ripped off but have had to put up with it if we want to buy stuff. Amazon, eBay and the rest of the internet have given us a viable alternative. Amazon same day delivery will allow us to buy more stuff even faster!! Laughing

The high street is killing itself and local councils are tightening the noose.

GSTEEL mentioned chuggers and that's something we need to pay more attention to. As the high street continues to die, chuggers will be looking for new hunting grounds so it's only a matter of time until they find new places to annoy us.

In the news yesterday: Amazon Denies that the online giant is "single-handedly killing the high street"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/17/online-retail-giant-denies-claim-high-street-dying-due-business/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:12 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The high street is killing itself and local councils are tightening the noose.

GSTEEL mentioned chuggers and that's something we need to pay more attention to. As the high street continues to die, chuggers will be looking for new hunting grounds so it's only a matter of time until they find new places to annoy us.

They already live in or outside the supermarkets I goto. Even the beggars have started sitting outside them, although I'm not sure they are getting what they want, ie money. One had a dog with him and he was doing rather well in the treats and food department. Laughing

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:38 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hospitality, pubs and High Street retail face the biggest crisis since 2008 breakdown and that has nothing to do with Brexit uncertainty.

https://i.imgur.com/pUqfqsl.png

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

High business rates.
High parking charges.
Costly public transport.
People going to physical shops, trying goods, leaving without a purchase and then buying cheaper online.
Shops not having in what they claim to have - despite me doing online checks before leaving home. Looking at you Toolstation/Screwfix.
Lack of disposable income.
People starting to realise that bling is shit.
People have everything now - it eventually reaches a saturation point.
Even if you have no intention of stopping and parking, cities have become 'anti-vehicle' in so many ways.

Personally I reckon it's sweet FA to do with worry over Brexit. If my freezer breaks I'm not going to wait 2 years for markets to settle before buying one!
(I actually don't own a freezer - never had one for 5 years)

I reckon the city high streets will become more residential. All you Londoners are going to move to and live in Newcastle city center.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

This is pretty much how Argos has gone now, but it actually works quite well the few times i have used it since their radical change to have stores inside Sainsbury's supermarkets

You order said thing via the website from the comfort of your armchair, then within about an hour it is ready to pick up from your nearest Sainsburys pick-up point
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7