Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Death of the High Street?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use Amazon so don't know..

On the high street, if 'charity shops' were removed there'd be almost nothing there. Sure they don't interfere so much with mainstream businesses but they do occupy a lot of sites.
On the subject of charity shops - I really dislike them. Lots of them carry new stock but get huge tax breaks..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The likes of Antiques road show, bargain hunt and Flog it have fcuked charity shops for bargains i=unless you want skanky clothes.

Everyone's an antiques expert now.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charity shops employ their own experts to value items donated - rare books, coins, jewellery etc.
Some shops keep the valuable items locked in a display case and other valuable items are never sold in a charity shop - they head directly to auction or to known collectors.
Also, charity shop staff have first shout at what's going up for sale which means you'll rarely see decent items - they're bought using a discount and sold to friends of the staff - I know people who help in charity shops.

The best used goods shops are church charity shops which are not chains of the same thing and tend to be a local church group. I've had some amazing bargains in those shops - I even buy 100% cotton sheets and duvets from them and rip them up to make rags for oily work. Double duvets costing 20p is normal up this way.

Village community charity shops are awesome too: Locals donate and funds raised help run youth clubs and other local groups. Again I've had real bargains from them.

Anyway, high streets R ded now and will probably never return. Life has moved on.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMV in administration... again: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46699290

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally Death on the high street.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/three-guilty-of-murder-over-leicester-shop-explosion-11364320380530

Thick as a bag of potatoes if they thought the insurance was going to pay out over that one. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Literally Death on the high street.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/three-guilty-of-murder-over-leicester-shop-explosion-11364320380530

Thick as a bag of potatoes if they thought the insurance was going to pay out over that one. Laughing

https://youtu.be/8g_GeQR8fJo?t=20

Apparently they wanted to kill the shop worker because she was in on the plan and knew too much, and they were happy with the family living upstairs dying as they'd get more money Neutral

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what should we do with our dying high streets? Should they just become residential areas? Or should they still be some kind of central focus for a town? If so, how and what?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So what should we do with our dying high streets? Should they just become residential areas? Or should they still be some kind of central focus for a town? If so, how and what?

They'll all die in the end. Maybe they will become just social centres with restaurants and bars but the shops will go because they are not supported.

The obvious example from biking is going to the bike accessory shop to try on helmets and then buying them on line when you know what will fit you and you can get it cheaper but to a man we will all moan when we can't try it on or can't send it back because safety gear.

To me that tantamounts to legal theft. You are using their expertise and expensive stock with no intention of buying, knowing they can't ever compete with an online front room seller who has no knowledge of his product and is just a reseller.

And yes, of course I have done it myself. It doesn't make it right.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
And yes, of course I have done it myself. It doesn't make it right.

I buy online then spend many hours trying to source alternative padding when it doesn't fit properly. Am I doing it wrong? Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back in my Oxfordshire home town visiting relatives over the holiday period. I was struck by the great number of hairdressers and barbers in town (and also the number of empty shops). I recall saying the same thing to my barber where I live in Herts and asking how they could all survive. His answer; they're there primarily to launder money. He reckoned hand car washes were the same,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I'm back in my Oxfordshire home town visiting relatives over the holiday period. I was struck by the great number of hairdressers and barbers in town (and also the number of empty shops). I recall saying the same thing to my barber where I live in Herts and asking how they could all survive. His answer; they're there primarily to launder money. He reckoned hand car washes were the same,

Same with sunbed shops, beauticians, etc.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I'm back in my Oxfordshire home town visiting relatives over the holiday period. I was struck by the great number of hairdressers and barbers in town (and also the number of empty shops). I recall saying the same thing to my barber where I live in Herts and asking how they could all survive. His answer; they're there primarily to launder money. He reckoned hand car washes were the same

Apparently a lot of car washes are run under slave conditions: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43646570

Think about that next time you get your car cleaned inside and out for a tenner Folded arms

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:02 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Apparently a lot of car washes are run under slave conditions: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43646570

Think about that next time you get your car cleaned inside and out for a tenner Folded arms

A tenner!!!

We are getting ripped off, it's £17 for a full valet here. Get some cheaper slaves. Evil or Very Mad

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:39 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

There are suddenly 5 turkish or similar barbers round here - remote yorkshire east riding region - wtf is this shit.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:43 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Don't use Amazon so don't know..

On the high street, if 'charity shops' were removed there'd be almost nothing there. Sure they don't interfere so much with mainstream businesses but they do occupy a lot of sites.
On the subject of charity shops - I really dislike them. Lots of them carry new stock but get huge tax breaks..

Or, 19 racks of womens clothes, and 1/2 of one rack with mens clothes, with the rest of the rack having more womens clothes on.

a load of "bric-a-brac" i.e crap, some DVD's and CD's a blu-ray if you are lucky, and the only video games they will have will be FIFA or cricket or something.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:21 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

There are suddenly 5 turkish or similar barbers round here - remote yorkshire east riding region - wtf is this shit.

Turkish or similar laundries you mean. Hmm... Thinking What businesses need no significant stock, have very low
set up costs and can have as many "customers" as is necessary to make dirty money clean?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experience with some of those mentions..

I know a woman who's been a hairdresser for years in Sunderland - right next to a very rough Estate. She gets by amazingly well but from the first day I met her (we'd dated) I knew there was far more to her 'business' world. Yes you have the blue rinse customers who bring in regular income but there's also this strange 'bolted on' part to her life - her cover and her real money making things. I've even met the people who make things happen for her - certain taxi drivers. It's all quite sinister and was far too dodgy for my liking.
Everyone has a word or two that they repeat - hers is "I love money me".
I know now that she's connected to some well dodgy shit..

Hand car wash?
One near me is a local lad set up by his dad for him. They're the original sad but rich family - lots of bling toys (shiny quads, jet skis etc but never used - only on show) but no friends.
The sons car wash has only the son as on the payroll. He employs people sent from the dole office - those who work for dole money only because they get experience. In other words - forced to work. The turnover of work experience folk is astounding and there's always 4 or more of them. The son (owner) gets to keep all of the takings and for very little effort.
Might be work experience but businesses like that should be burnt down - they only exist because of free labour.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge - what did the woman do? I'm sensing drug dealing, prostitution and dodgy videos....

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around my way the hand car-washes only exist because they employ immigrants who survive on below minimum wage plus tips, and because their real purpose is laundering drug money. The Plod know it, HMRC knows it but neither do anything about it because it keeps the situation contained and in clear sight. Put pressure on the car washes and legitimate businesses get visits from local gangsters once more.

It used to be laundrettes, takeaways and ice cream vans because they only dealt in cash...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it across the country, I bet. If it's not run using slave labour, it's gangsters themselves, resulting in shootings etc.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Sister Sledge - what did the woman do? I'm sensing drug dealing, prostitution and dodgy videos....

Her cover was hairdressing. She employs two full time staff and she can do hair quite well but her other side? Put it this way I watched as she bought two houses in one go. Yes they were tatty but that's where her 'uncles' as she described them (taxi owners) would organise things. If she wanted something done then her 'uncles' would make it happen. It was as if she was running something big and 'uncles' were her yes people.

Not long after we split she purchased a massive industrial unit beside the river in Sunderland. It turned sour with refusal of planning permissions and she sold it on - it was as if authorities knew this was another cover for something and stopped it outright. Her plans for it were actually good but it all stunk of badness.

What was she doing? I dunno. I did meet up with her last year and she was losing it - as if her mind was breaking. I think it's drugs. I think she'd fallen into the drug trap herself - boredom or whatever. She wasn't high as such - more wrecked and not knowing reality. Name that drug! I think heroin.
Her shop had a constant turnover of female customers getting basics done - during the week too and not for nights out. Quite radgy women tbh and not the type you'd date - definitely users or the partners of users. I didn't sense prostitution but drugs and that do often go hand in hand.

You'll find me ded tied to concrete in the River Wear next week Smile
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
2 houses where her "uncles", who are really minicab drivers "organised things", sounds more like a child sex grooming gang.

What nationality were these "uncles", if they're mainly Pakistani, I think you've probably answered your own question.

If that were the case it means a white woman is involved, which kinda goes against your mantra....

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
2 houses where her "uncles", who are really minicab drivers "organised things", sounds more like a child sex grooming gang.

What nationality were these "uncles", if they're mainly Pakistani, I think you've probably answered your own question.

All involved are most definitely white British nationals. There was a real hatred in every one of them I met towards people of other colours/origins. By hatred I mean absolute hatred.
Definitely no kids stuff - again the hatred towards that was there too.

That woman is definitely running a few things and controlling them. 'Uncles' would do the work/make things happen.
The money was strange - I never saw piles of cash but lots of money was evident. The big purchases and just spending too much.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 115 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7