Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Death of the High Street?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

It was the taxi driver thing which made me wonder. Are they mainly white men where you live then?

Hey sister, looks like mpd might be considering relocating to your area !! You might have a new neighbour, either that, or he's thinking of going out on the pull Laughing Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are going slightly off topic.

The high street is dying and it will evolve in to something else.

I live in Halifax and it's main street is dead. (Though the Piece Hall is quite a nice place to visit and even to go drinks/meals)

Nearby Keighley is probably the worst, on the main high street is an abandoned TV rentals shop, full of 20" CRT TVs and faded 80s font. It is truly dead.

Halifax council is called Calderdale and it does include some other smaller towns - Hebden Bridge/Elland/Brighouse . Now Hebden is really booming but it's all strange arty farty independent shops.

However Elland is also totaly dying, you can imagine what the council did, yup introduce parking charges on street.

Calderdale Council have watched Elland die and then thought, hmmm perhaps we were wrong and scrapped the parking charges.

Now nearby Brighouse ~ 4 miles from Elland. Was doing okay, yeah a few shop closures but not too bad.

So guess what Calderdale council has just done.... Yup introduced on street parking charges in Brighouse. WTF And guess what....

It really is f...g rediculous, there's letters in the Halifax Courier saying we should embrace public transport and travel using that.

So are people doing, well Brighouse for a start is a stones through from Leeds, no more than 15 minutes away off peak, so people are just driving to White Rose Shopping Centre. (Large Out of town shopping centre, loads of free parking, nice and warm, good security keeping local scum out).

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to give away precisely where I live in case Mdma's brownshirts decide to finger my dog, but I suspect Kawakid and I are neighbours without knowing it...

I agree. Halifax is dead apart from the Piece Hall and that covered-over bit by La Luna and Revo. Shame, because look above ground floor level and the buildings are wonderful. I do think that parking charges have an impact, but look at Hebden Bridge which has them also and it is thriving. Its because Hebden has interesting shops and offers more than your standard 'Greggs and a beggar' retail experience that the others do.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Nearby Keighley is probably the worst, on the main high street is an abandoned TV rentals shop, full of 20" CRT TVs and faded 80s font. It is truly dead.

Is that it? https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8661881,-1.9096445,3a,22.5y,271.78h,87.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD-EyVn9W-VOKXVRAIDnIqw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 Very Happy

I was looking at a hoose recently near there and thought the town had slightly more life than other shitholes lovely Northern towns I've looked at. A friend reckons it's chav central tho'.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
kawakid wrote:

Is that it? https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8661881,-1.9096445,3a,22.5y,271.78h,87.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD-EyVn9W-VOKXVRAIDnIqw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192 Very Happy

I was looking at a hoose recently near there and thought the town had slightly more life than other shitholes lovely Northern towns I've looked at. A friend reckons it's chav central tho'.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the place

Keighley Town Centre is a shxt hole, I can tell you this because I travel through it every weekend late at night, the local police station has shutdown and moved to nearby Bradford.

There is an absolute total disregard for driving laws in Keighley, cars seem to have adopted the French priorte au droit and they simply pill out/race/tare arse through the town.

Now areas near to Keighley are nice, - Denholme, Sutton in Craven, but the direct Keighley town centre is a NO GO.

Looking back to your picture from Google Street maps, it really is all totally like this.

The only thing I actually like about Keighley is the cenotaph, it's well cared for central (just across from TV rentals) and it is really well illuminated on a night. I can't think of a better one.

PS if you are thinking of moving, there are some great biking routes near Keighley, a stones from North Yorks and the dales.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Victorian architecture from back in the day when wool was king and people had civic pride...

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd it's quite strange where I live. Quite rare to see a black person or any other colour except white - unless you visit a hospital.
The largest 'multicultural' zone is along the West Road out of Newcastle upon Tyne - from the top of the famous Westgate Road (of bike shops fame) and for two miles. Imagine those gangs of youths who hang around on streets where you'd never venture - it's like that.

Many years back we had a huge influx of 'asylum seekers' or whatever it was - Whitley Bay guest houses would take them all in because paid for by the state. During the day time they were out and wandering around like zombies in the cold North East winter weather. Not able to work, little money and bored silly! I don't see them being shacked up in Whitley Bay so something must have changed..

Speaking of which, it follows similar lines of the topic: Whitley Bay as a coastal town died a rapid death. The pubs and night clubs closed, shops are just as crap and they sold off the majority of parking.. to build retirement complexes. I expect that's the same in most coastal towns though.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:47 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

The largest 'multicultural' zone is along the West Road out of Newcastle upon Tyne

I revisited here after a 20 year absence in 2017. The difference in "demographics" was startling. The speed of change, as well as the resultant change to the shopping areas, made it impossible to tell you were even in Newcastle.

Nothing kills off the culture and history of a place quicker than shutting the local boozers......

Last edited by GSTEEL32 on 12:05 - 01 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newcastles West Road could be mistaken for part of London - the change is so great.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
mpd it's quite strange where I live. Quite rare to see a black person or any other colour except white - unless you visit a hospital.

Isn't most of the UK like that though? 87% white according to the last census, and even when I go to cities like Manchester or Glasgow it's noticeable* for me just how white it is. Birmingham's probably the only place that made me feel at home; there were about a dozen black youths MC'ing outside a McDonalds Razz

It's why I don't get the diversity fixation, that's not to say they aren't important, but to single them out suggests someone thinks they're more important. If only immigrants were poor/struggling then I'd get it but that isn't the case.

*you also notice it when you see old footage of London from the 70s/80s (how much whiter it was).

Sister Sledge wrote:
I expect that's the same in most coastal towns though.

Pretty much, except for two hot days in August I doubt that many people make the effort to visit the coast. Only old people move there to die Very Happy

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an exception though. Soho, Mayfair, Marylebone, and Covent Garden are all BOOMING.

Oxford street
https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2017/11/Oxford-Street-2-col_2.jpg
https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2018/12/31/09/gettyimages-900132752.jpg?w968

Halifax
https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/1071925/stream_img.jpg
https://images.archant.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.5754917.1540745305!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

Does anyone get the impression that people outside London are getting short changed? Wink

You are of course free to go to London to watch the fireworks and pay for a return ticket and a hotel on new years eve Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
The last census thinks we only had 63,000,000 here too. I suspect quite a few visitors didn't admit to being here.

That's true although I've also heard people on here say they don't bother filling it in because it's 'the man' keeping tabs on you or something. Unless we have less BS figures I'll have to use BS figures to illustrate my point, which was when you go to other parts of the UK it's noticeable how white it is.

Maybe I'm going to the wrong places (ie: not Bradford Smile) but you don't seem to get widespread diversity, more diversity areas. That's why I question the diversity drive, it doesn't seem to be representative in how diversity works.

If you did it by class for example that would also include ethnic minorities, but I suspect too many whiteys would benefit as well Tut Tut, and in terms of pure talent pools it would probably makes things worse in terms of representation etc..

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Does anyone get the impression that people outside London are getting short changed? Wink

Dunno what are rent and house prices like where you live Wink

P.S. you need to pay for a ticket now to watch the fireworks

PPS that's a digital mock-up of a pedestrianised Oxford Street Wink

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:

Dunno what are rent and house prices like where you live Wink

P.S. you need to pay for a ticket now to watch the fireworks

PPS that's a digital mock-up of a pedestrianised Oxford Street Wink

PPPS
London still gets way more of the good stuff than the rest of the country. Don't you think our country would be improved if everyone had the sort of opportunity that is open to the people around Oxford Street and the city? Wink

PPPPS
Your focus on the origins of the picture of Oxford street speaks volumes for your total contempt for ordinary people outside of London. Perhaps you would like some non-mock ups instead? Wink

PPPPPS
https://secretldn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Oxford-Street-Christmas-Lights-1.jpg

PPPPPPS
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2696/4158262504_0809e00cb8_b.jpg

PPPPPPPS
https://media1.santabanta.com/full1/Sports/London%20Olympics%202012/london-olympics-2012-24a.jpg

PPPPPPPPS
https://www.burohappold.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Millennium-Dome_01_BuroHappold-Mandy-Reynolds.jpg

Meanwhile the North got this sh1tty bird human hybrid thing
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/976xn/p05x53bv.jpg

And the South West got this giant disco ball Confused
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/8b/61/58/millennium-square-bristol.jpg

More subway lines than rUK combined!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/London_Underground_Overground_DLR_Crossrail_map.svg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
London still gets way more of the good stuff than the rest of the country.

So move there like everyone else Rolling Eyes

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Don't you think our country would be improved if everyone had the sort of opportunity that is open to the people around Oxford Street and the city? Wink

What opportunity is that? We need to start a new hashtag LondonPrivilege. For the vast majority of people who don't come from generations of wealth it's a tough and difficult place to live, but don't let any of that sway you.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Your focus on the origins of the picture of Oxford street speaks volumes for your total contempt for ordinary people outside of London. Perhaps you would like some non-mock ups instead? Wink

What contempt do I have for whom? Eh? I merely pointed out your lazy googling of an obviously doctored image, FWIW the last I heard the pedestrinsation wasn't even going ahead but you'd obviously only read about that in London Privilege Weekly.

P.S. currently West Hams home at great expensive to the tax payer

PPS massive flop/white elephant for years, but where else do they hold boxing/concerts Thinking

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
London still gets way more of the good stuff than the rest of the country.

So move there like everyone else Rolling Eyes

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Don't you think our country would be improved if everyone had the sort of opportunity that is open to the people around Oxford Street and the city? Wink

What opportunity is that? We need to start a new hashtag LondonPrivilege. For the vast majority of people who don't come from generations of wealth it's a tough and difficult place to live, but don't let any of that sway you.

Im-a-Ridah wrote:

What contempt do I have for whom? Eh? I merely pointed out your lazy googling of an obviously doctored image, FWIW the last I heard the pedestrinsation wasn't even going ahead but you'd obviously only read about that in London Privilege Weekly.

P.S. currently West Hams home at great expensive to the tax payer

PPS massive flop/white elephant for years, but where else do they hold boxing/concerts Thinking

Why should I move there when I can just ruin London for you? Wink

PS hope you don't lose too many city jobs because of Brexit Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Why should I move there when I can just ruin London for you? Wink

PS hope you don't lose too many city jobs because of Brexit Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I completely forgot I'm a privileged pro-European hipster socialite Rolling Eyes

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey we love our rusty Angel of the North. It's designed to rust - it created a hard barrier against rot. The steel was specially made for it.

Although the North East gets trampled on and ignored, I much prefer it that way.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Hey we love our rusty Angel of the North. It's designed to rust - it created a hard barrier against rot. The steel was specially made for it.

Although the North East gets trampled on and ignored, I much prefer it that way.

That Angel does have a rough sort of beauty about it.

A bit like a rusting steel plate in a long defunct Newcastle shipyard.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7