Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Doing a Euro tour on a supermoto - insane?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Khanivore
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:49 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Doing a Euro tour on a supermoto - insane? Reply with quote

Is it practical to go on a one or two week bike tour of southern europe on a husqvarna 701sm or ktm 690 smc? Other riders will be on a range of stuff from GS's to sports bikes. Ride leader tends to stick to stick to 70-80 while others have a play, dropping back and catching up. The ride is to the picos mountains.

Reason i ask is that I'm currently on a Ducati 848 but fancy trying something a bit more upright that I can just go out for a blast on and have fun on without going silly speeds. I'm not skilled enough to pull wheelies and all that - 99% of my riding is country roads on weekends for fun going from cafe to cafe. A supermoto sounds like it would be fun for that, right? Could it handle a tour though - this is my first and at most i'd do it once a year.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:55 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Doing a Euro tour on a supermoto - insane? Reply with quote

I did on a 690.

Motorways not so fun, but lots of tighter roads much fun.

Mine was the enduro model - I had road biased tyres, but took off road tyres to play in Spain too.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 18 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be fine if you re going to Picos by Bilbao ferry, it's an awful long drag down through France otherwise but more reasonable one way only and not rushed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Khanivore
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:13 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback guys. Thanks.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a tank range that doesn't mean everyone is waiting for you to fill up twice as often as them, why not.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorway stretches might get tiring but you'll love it in the twisty sections. I think it's hard to beat a good supermoto for fun in short blasts. The seat might limit you somewhat also but there's plenty of solutions to that.

Might be that something like the Duke or an MT09 type thing might suit your purpose better though. There's plenty of upright hooligan bikes that'll make better all rounders than a SuMo. I love that dirtbike stance though, definitely adds to the fun for me.

Khanivore
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:21 - 23 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Might be that something like the Duke or an MT09 type thing might suit your purpose better though. There's plenty of upright hooligan bikes that'll make better all rounders than a SuMo. I love that dirtbike stance though, definitely adds to the fun for me.

Funny you mention those. Tried hypermotard today and those are the next two bikes I’ll try.

Thing is though the euro tour is a one time thing. I don’t want to buy a bike for that. Most of my rides - the rest of them - will be blatts around the countryside. Neither seems as cool as the sumo’s from a looks perspective at least.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1