Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Had to do mod1 on 125.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:02 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Had to do mod1 on 125. Reply with quote

Hey so I passed my MOD 1 earlier but had to do it on my 125 as I wasnt able to control the big bike that the instructor provided. I wasnt able to use slow control with it and had it tip over while standong still.

Looks like im heading towards just getting a1 as I passed mod1 with ease on my bike, while couldnt even control the big bike. So should I just accept that ill never be able to use a big bike and try to avoid motorways when I pass or is there a 125 thats motorway viable?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:09 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and no.

Don't give up on big bikes.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggled massively with Mod 1 on a Bandit, so much so they weren't going to allow me to take the test, although part of that was that they had a shortage of bikes and were trying to pressure me into doing it on an A2 bike.

Did you get much road riding in on the big bike? I think I struggled as they plonked me on the Bandit and we went straight into Mod 1 practice.

Anyhoo despite instructor **** (he really was) saying I wouldn't pass and it was just practice, I passed my Mod 1 and 2 first time Dance! If I can do it (I really was appalling at Mod 1 stuff) you definitely can.

P.S. The Varadero 125 probably comes closest to a motorway viable 125 but I still wouldn't.

Lo-Fi
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:01 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely don’t give up, it sounds like you need a better riding school.

Last edited by Lo-Fi on 21:24 - 20 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely don't give up, Mod1 is the worst part of it and you've got that out of the way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
Definitely don't give up, Mod1 is the worst part of it and you've got that out of the way.

Not sure you read the post properly Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:27 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice, practice, practice.

I wrestle around a litre 250 kg bike and I weigh 10 stone and am quite short.

Learning to manage big bikes is about the slow speed stuff. You can practice it with lighter stuff by going slower.

(Edit, wrong measure....)

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 14:18 - 21 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 20 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Had to do mod1 on 125. Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Hey so I passed my MOD 1 earlier but had to do it on my 125 as I wasnt able to control the big bike that the instructor provided. I wasnt able to use slow control with it and had it tip over while standong still.

Looks like im heading towards just getting a1 as I passed mod1 with ease on my bike, while couldnt even control the big bike. So should I just accept that ill never be able to use a big bike and try to avoid motorways when I pass or is there a 125 thats motorway viable?

Nothing but alarm bells are ringing while I read your post.

As I understood it tests were category defined, and pre-booked at that. I'm confused what kind of school has you turn up on your own bike and brings theirs along to decide right before the test what one you'll be using; you shouldn't have had the test booked before they'd assessed your riding and got you to an adequate level.

How much money have you paid to do this test? A Module 1 A1 on your own bike is £15.50, and I'd be annoyed if I were you having paid anything more.

If you're legible by age for A2 then it would make no sense to go for anything else; as is the same with A.

Training school bikes have had plenty of donkeys ride them. I didn't get along with the twin Gladius the school I used had but I ride a "big" bike alright. The good thing is once you've got your license there's plenty of choice on the market.

I think you need to look for a new school and take control of the money you're being robbed of.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:58 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned up on my own bike as a way to get to the school. He put me on the big bike and got me to try slalom/figure of 8s. Did it for about an hour then he said I dont think we can have you up to test standard within 4 hours. Lets see how you do on your 125. So i jumped on and did everything very well and smoothe.

I felt not strong enough to maneuver the big bike as its 2 or 3 times more heavy than my bike.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:17 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
I turned up on my own bike as a way to get to the school. He put me on the big bike and got me to try slalom/figure of 8s. Did it for about an hour then he said I dont think we can have you up to test standard within 4 hours. Lets see how you do on your 125. So i jumped on and did everything very well and smoothe.

I felt not strong enough to maneuver the big bike as its 2 or 3 times more heavy than my bike.

It sounds strange, you're paying for training on a big bike, I'd expect them to offer more training rather than getting you to go for a useless A1 license on your own bike Confused

Are you happy naming the school? Going by your map we might have gone to the same place. I struggled a bit with manual handling as well, depending on the bike (what was it?) there might be ~100kg difference between a 125 and a big bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:36 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When booking a mod one test, don't you have to specific what type of license (A, A1, A2 or AM) you're wanting and can you change that when you turn up for the test? Confused

You'll get used to the weight of the bike in time.

Something sounds not quite right with them giving you an hours training on the big bike and then deciding that it's a lost cause. Confused

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people are a little bit scared of bigger bikes cos they ‘feel’ so much heavier than a 125.
Once you get the hang of a bigger bike, you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Just keep plugging away at bigger bikes when you get the chance and it will become second nature Thumbs Up
Remember not all bigger bikes have to be 1000cc/600cc.
You could move up to a 250/400?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:52 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will need to be a 600 for doing the test and that'll weigh slightly less than twice what the SR125 does.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:56 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He put you on a big bike for the first time 4 hours before your test??
I had a whole day farting about on a Hornet 600 before my Mod1 and felt completely prepared.

New school required methinks.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Practice, practice, practice.

I wrestle around a litre 250 KG bike and I weigh 10 stone and am quite short.

Learning to manage big bikes is about the slow speed stuff. You can practice it with lighter stuff by going slower.

FTFY My scooter weighs more than 250LBs. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It will need to be a 600 for doing the test and that'll weigh slightly less than twice what the SR125 does.

Also...

Changes to category A from 31 December 2018:
the minimum engine power requirement for large motorcycles (category A) will increase from 40 Kilowatt (kW) to 50kW
a minimum kerb weight of 180kg will be introduced
Motorcycles affected by this change are shown on the list as A*. You will not be able to use these for the test from 31 December 2018.

That excludes a fair number of bikes, 38 according to their own incomplete list.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:24 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training school bikes on the whole already meet the new requirements.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't really see what the changes are there for, and with the OP something like a Duke 690 would be a good option (if a little expensive) for someone struggling with the weight of a big bike.

They've not answered what bike it was so maybe finding a school with MT-07's would do.

Lo-Fi
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:56 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you tell them what course you wanted to do (e.g. 2/3/4 day) or did they tell you?

Either way, very poor of them to put you in for a test without having done an assesment or any training first, to do it all on the day really piles the pressure on.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:59 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

over phone said i wanted to do one days training then mod 1 test. He said well if we cant get you up to standard your gonna have to do it on a 125.

He wanted to do 2 days training then mod 1 on big bike but I thought id be sble to do it in one day. When I turned up he set me up to do figure of 8 and slalom. I just didnt get it, then he said try your 125 and every slow manuever was nice and smoothe.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:02 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a pay as you go school im bath motoxp

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

He wanted to do 2 days training then mod 1 on big bike but I thought id be sble to do it in one day. .

That is your problem there, Our standard DAS course is 2 days for mod 1. During that time we take you out for a long ride for the first half of day 1 just to get you used to riding a big bike and get you familiar with the handling. We then spend the remainder of the time getting you more than ready for module 1. Over a weekend this also includes access to the local test centre to do some full practice tests.

As a result of you wanting to do it cheaper you are going to end up costing yourself more money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lo-Fi
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:40 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was a mistake.

When I did mine the first half of the day was out on the road to get used to the way the bigger bike rides, then the second half of the day was mod 1 practice. Passed mod 1 2 days later with another hours practice first.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mod 1 training for mine was one day, but that was on day 2, day 1 we went for a long ride but as I was on a restricted (33bhp) ER5 it was a waste of time in terms of getting a feel for the Bandit.

It was only cos test day (day 3) involved a long ride to the test centre that I was able to get a feel for the bike and pass Mod 1.

Depending on what you've spent so far I'd not spend anymore money getting your A1 license.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:35 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Coincidence Reply with quote

By coincidence I just passed my Mod 2 on Tues. training with Motoxp in Bath.

I suspect you may have forced the issue somewhat, I found them very good and flexible (in fact I went to them after doing a CBT elsewhere as I found the instruction at the other school a little harsh).

When I did my Mod 1 with them I had two sessions beforehand including a ride out to the test centre to practice as it is bookable (just on Saturdays I think). Another guy had told them over the phone that he was confident he could do with one session and didn't do the second one I did (and to be fair he did pass, he had a lot of 125cc experience and practice) this guy was tiny in comparison to me also.

For the Mod 2 I was supposed to do two sessions prior to test but we agreed I only needed one in the end (I could have done more but neither I nor the instructor felt it would make much difference as I had put in a lot of my own practice on 125cc, also had touched a few points and got some practice whilst riding out for the mod 1 training and to the test centre anyway) I got through the Mod 2 test without any difficulty (few nerves but they went quickly).

What aspect of control did you feel you were struggling with? You probably just needed more time. Transition from 125cc to 600cc I found pretty natural but found I missed the flickability of the 125cc. Didn't affect me on U-turns as had practiced those loads in less space on 125cc but the slaalom and figure of 8 felt a constant struggle for ages. I definitely felt the bike getting away from me a couple of times coming to stop etc. and had to learn to be more disciplined with keeping the front wheel straight.

I didn't really find most aspects of road riding a problem in the transition, in fact most things were easier, the extra power, more forgiving gearing etc. I did have to learn to put more input into counter steering/swerving.

Slow manoeuvres, stopping and pulling off needed a bit a time though, eventually it clicked and I could use the same skills I had on the 125cc, a little more input needed and there is a bit less margin for error. I got away with not dropping bike merely due to my large size and mass and had a couple of minor wrestles (if it really started to go though I would have conceded and let it go I can imagine how easy it is to pull muscles and worse). The big bike I would characterise as more stable but the margins (for error) are smaller.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2