Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sadiq Khan has gone too far,

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Diggs wrote:
I agree with you about biofuels to a degree, but to produce a corresponding amount of biofuel to the amount of oil we use presently, we would have no land left to grow food.

That's why I specifically dodged that issue by saying we might use waste materials (sewage or chaff) as feedstock for algae or micro-organisms. We could solve two problems in one. Science and technology is usually the answer, although admittedly they often bring new problems with them. That's progress.

I understand what you are saying, but sewage is a product of food production and so is chaff (assuming you are talking about the cereal variety). Its chicken and egg therefore because without the land to grow food, you won't get the sewage or chaff...

The way I see it, timing is the issue. Oil is getting more expensive and biofuels are not replacing it in a corresponding manner. Assuming that technology does provide an alternative, it needs to do so within the next few years in sufficient quantity to replace oil, otherwise our economy will collapse and all we will be eating is whatever we can grow locally. Other than that transported by water that is, and I refer you to my point above on that matter...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crop production will always bring some kind of waste to deal with in the form of the parts we can't eat, and after consumption there will be sewage. Puke

Your transport scenario would only work if there was a large decline in the population back to 19th Century levels, reducing demand. (I hope I haven't just opened the door to someone's favourite subject... Confused )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, its chicken and egg. Think about how much oil we use as a nation today - not just internally but for importing goods also. The beauty of oil is that we extract it from the ground with minimal cost to the environment during the extraction process. Replace this with biofuel and the environmental cost of generating the same amount of energy is catastrophic in terms of land usage and the opportunity cost in terms of the inability to feed ourselves is so large that our population levels will have to 'balance out'.

The one thing you can guarantee is that our population won't grow as a result....

Likewise, I hope I haven't opened the door to a rant about immigration.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll come in at an angle on this one..

I hate waste. Waste to me is expensive and destroying not just where it originated but also where it's dumped.

One good example is plastic. It's topical because it's everywhere now. We can use old plastics.
I'm serious here: The UK has a waste problem. We have thousands of old rubbish tips dating back centuries. Modern ones are the worst - hundreds of thousands of tons of plastics dumped into them.
My idea is we reopen old landfill sites. We reprocess them for useful materials - metals and plastics for example.
Plastics can be placed into massive sealed vats and boiled. The gas coming off can be processed into key components and reused in fuel and plastics production. The remnants are minuscule and could well have a use.

A lot of more recent landfill sites are still decomposing and providing methane for energy generation but once decomposition ends they should be opened up.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I hate waste. Waste to me is expensive and destroying not just where it originated but also where it's dumped.

One good example is plastic. It's topical because it's everywhere now. We can use old plastics.
I'm serious here: The UK has a waste problem. We have thousands of old rubbish tips dating back centuries. Modern ones are the worst - hundreds of thousands of tons of plastics dumped into them.
My idea is we reopen old landfill sites. We reprocess them for useful materials - metals and plastics for example.
Plastics can be placed into massive sealed vats and boiled. The gas coming off can be processed into key components and reused in fuel and plastics production. The remnants are minuscule and could well have a use.

A lot of more recent landfill sites are still decomposing and providing methane for energy generation but once decomposition ends they should be opened up.

You have some good ideas there. There is an argument for 'waste-mining' rather than incineration, but at the moment it isn't economically viable because we aren't poor enough. Likewise, re-use of soft plastics (as opposed to Upvc window frames etc which are defined as hard, and are made into pellets to be re-used) isn't economic without Government intervention.

You will be aware of the Government's 'waste pyramid' which places landfill at the bottom and no waste at the top. Everything else we currently do is in between.

Problem is, we produce too much waste and that waste is usually contaminated with other substances that makes its recycling uneconomic. A typical example would be a builder's skip containing wood and plasterboard:

To recycle the wood it has to be transported to a recycling plant, sorted, graded, 'cleaned' of nails, plasterboard, plastics etc then made available for an end user to purchase. That end user has to drive to the recycling plant in a waggon (often a 40 tonne one) and take the material away to be re-used. Wood is graded according to potential contaminant, with Grades A & B considered re-useable, and C hazardous. Given that wood treated with chemicals to prolong its life may be treated as Grade C, we as a nation have a problem...

Plasterboard can be burned at very high temperatures to produce electricity, or can be broken down and mixed with aggregates or taken to landfill. Before an end use can be considered it is sorted, metals and plastics removed etc etc etc.... You can see why it is uneconomic to recycle.

There is an argument for incineration of most of the material we currently landfill other than certain plastics, treated wood etc. This process heats water which generates electricity plus dries waste to make it more efficient to transport and burn. This technology is widely used in this country and abroad, but some say irrespective of filtration the fumes will still kill us over time. Part of the problem is that the EA cannot easily control what goes in, so it can't control what comes out of the flue. The counter argument to this is that we do know what comes out of waggon exhausts, and incinerating waste reduces journeys to landfill with a net environmental saving.

Ultimately the only solution is to produce less waste, and this requires a shift to a 'Caroline Lucas on a horse' economy, as Mdma so eloquently describes it.

I won't go 'Tef' on you with this subject, but it is something I am interested in too.....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

You have some good ideas there. There is an argument for 'waste-mining' rather than incineration, but at the moment it isn't economically viable because we aren't poor enough. Likewise, re-use of soft plastics (as opposed to Upvc window frames etc which are defined as hard, and are made into pellets to be re-used) isn't economic without Government intervention.

You will be aware of the Government's 'waste pyramid' which places landfill at the bottom and no waste at the top. Everything else we currently do is in between.

Problem is, we produce too much waste and that waste is usually contaminated with other substances that makes its recycling uneconomic. A typical example would be a builder's skip containing wood and plasterboard:

To recycle the wood it has to be transported to a recycling plant, sorted, graded, 'cleaned' of nails, plasterboard, plastics etc then made available for an end user to purchase. That end user has to drive to the recycling plant in a waggon (often a 40 tonne one) and take the material away to be re-used. Wood is graded according to potential contaminant, with Grades A & B considered re-useable, and C hazardous. Given that wood treated with chemicals to prolong its life may be treated as Grade C, we as a nation have a problem...

Plasterboard can be burned at very high temperatures to produce electricity, or can be broken down and mixed with aggregates or taken to landfill. Before an end use can be considered it is sorted, metals and plastics removed etc etc etc.... You can see why it is uneconomic to recycle.

There is an argument for incineration of most of the material we currently landfill other than certain plastics, treated wood etc. This process heats water which generates electricity plus dries waste to make it more efficient to transport and burn. This technology is widely used in this country and abroad, but some say irrespective of filtration the fumes will still kill us over time. Part of the problem is that the EA cannot easily control what goes in, so it can't control what comes out of the flue. The counter argument to this is that we do know what comes out of waggon exhausts, and incinerating waste reduces journeys to landfill with a net environmental saving.

Ultimately the only solution is to produce less waste, and this requires a shift to a 'Caroline Lucas on a horse' economy, as Mdma so eloquently describes it.

I won't go 'Tef' on you with this subject, but it is something I am interested in too.....

Laughing Not a bad mini Tef start. Thumbs Up

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I bet you didn't read it as a result!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Again, its chicken and egg. Think about how much oil we use as a nation today - not just internally but for importing goods also. The beauty of oil is that we extract it from the ground with minimal cost to the environment during the extraction process. Replace this with biofuel and the environmental cost of generating the same amount of energy is catastrophic in terms of land usage and the opportunity cost in terms of the inability to feed ourselves is so large that our population levels will have to 'balance out'.

You're thinking of current generation biofuels production (see image) which does indeed use crops which we could be eating. I'm interested in newer technologies.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/03/180326110116.htm
https://phys.org/news/2016-11-fuel-sewage-futureand-closer.html
https://www.seeker.com/sewage-is-being-turned-into-biofuel-to-renewably-power-cars-and-utilit-2324639097.html
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-17/audi-joins-french-quest-for-biofuels-that-won-t-challenge-food

Plastics recycling:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/12/uk/fungi-plastic-mushrooms-intl/index.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fascinating subject and yes something I feel so passionately about. When you look into the UKs overuse of methane and why, you discover where it all started and what it replaced. As I said it's a good topic and something I feel we can fix - and I'm definitely no friend of the Earth and all that crap..

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all good, but in order for our lives to not alter dramatically we need these fuel supplies to come on line in massive amounts as we stop using oil from the ground. So far this isn't happening - look at the Audi article for investment stats, for example.

Ignoring plastics for the time being, all these fuels require land and the only way we can produce the amount of fuel we currently use will be to devote more land to growing crops than we currently do. It may sound a tad dramatic, but as a planet we'd have more of a chance if we all went vegan....

What I'd love to see is somebody who really knows their shit (scuse pun), to describe how much land we will need to provide an equivelent amount of fuel to that which we use today, given the potential emergence of these new technologies. I haven't seen this calculation, and I suspect the reason why is that the future it would paint isn't good...

No, our only option is to use less fuel, which means a restructure of the global economy imo.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
I thought the biggest creator was cattle?

That's the reason Vegans want to kill them all.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Its all good, but in order for our lives to not alter dramatically we need these fuel supplies to come on line in massive amounts as we stop using oil from the ground. So far this isn't happening - look at the Audi article for investment stats, for example.

True, but it's a longer term development. I'm not the one saying we've got 5 years before the horse and cart becomes the norm again.
Diggs wrote:
-all these fuels require land and the only way we can produce the amount of fuel we currently use will be to devote more land to growing crops than we currently do.

I've addressed that more than once. I'm not talking about using food for fuel; we don't consume every part of a plant so why not use that waste material. Similarly I've pointed to technologies which create fuel from sewage. No agricultural land is taken over.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you say, but think about it a different way. Imagine a typical crop plant. Currently 50% of its mass goes for food and 50% goes back into the ground. Now imagine if we use the bits we don't eat for biofuel. What goes back into the ground to bind the soil and to ensure enough nitrogen, phosphates etc for the next crop? This is why we end up with dustbowls where nothing of value can grow.

Similarly with sewage, in order to create the sewage we need to grow the food to eat. In order to grow the food we need to chose what we use our finite arable land for, and if we chose to use crop 'waste' for fuel then ultimately we lose the land for the reason described above.

I'm not suggesting that we will all be driving horses and carts in 5 years time, far from it. What I am suggesting is that unless we discover a 'magic' source of sustainable, transportable energy before oil becomes too expensive to extract then lots of us will be walking.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Constructive, informed comment there Mdma as usual. Every day is a school-day with you around....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
It's a fascinating subject and yes something I feel so passionately about. When you look into the UKs overuse of methane and why, you discover where it all started and what it replaced. As I said it's a good topic and something I feel we can fix - and I'm definitely no friend of the Earth and all that crap..

What do we overuse Methane to do then? I thought the biggest creator was cattle?

Liquefied Natural Gas is Methane.

It's what we use in our cookers and central heating. It's what gas powered power stations run on, modern ships run on, even some lorries in the states.. etc. etc.

It will overtake oil as the largest use fossil fuel.

And all that without a single cow fart being harvested.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
He won’t listen.

Neutral
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YXW0C6oIxVE

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep saying it - coal is our fuel of the future. It's such a versatile energy source. Yeah yeah not green and that but it's in abundance beneath us.

Soil binders: Winter greens/green manure. It's plants with mega fibrous root systems and come Spring is simply ploughed into the soil before planting a crop. It's awesome stuff.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope we'll stop using fossil fuels to power vehicles long before the oil runs out. As oil becomes scarcer we'll reserve it for use as a chemical feedstock for things like medicines. Burning the increasingly precious resource will begin to look like madness.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I keep saying it - coal is our fuel of the future. It's such a versatile energy source. Yeah yeah not green and that but it's in abundance beneath us.

As a Northerner you just want to get back down pit Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought one of the problems with coal* (and oil) was that whilst it may still be abundant it was increasingly hard to reach, and it would be very difficult to reopen closed mines.

*Also, the unions.
Jewlio Rides Again LLB This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6