Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Gatwick chaos

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco-warriors sounds more plausible. Odd for somebody to do something then not claim responsibility though...

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/V5kfy2X.jpg

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco warriors wouldn't be able to afford a drone like that. Several grand would be better spend on eco-marketing and other educational campaigns, rather than a covert dront-flying operation that just pisses people off.

The main eco warriors in the area are about to be sent down anyway. The folk who blocked Heathrow a couple of years ago, they invaded Stansted recently and the government decided to stick terrorism charges on them just to make an example.

My money's on some wannabe jihadi kids with a big new toy who want to fuck the kafir system, maaaaan.

An interesting thing they said in the news yesterday was that drones are supposed to be designed so they can't be flown near airports. So the folk flying this drone have either got a very special one, or they know how to take off the restrictions. Or... actually drones can fly all over airports and the news was talking bollocks to make sure nobody else has the same idea.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco-warriors are pretty well funded, it, could also be a local protest group against the 'master plan', use of taxiway used effectively as a 2nd runway which is apparently backed by 'most' residents of Gatwick, which has only just recently been reported Smile

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Because it was staged by the authorities to bury Brexit news? Whistle

Rolling Eyes
Ste wrote:
Brexit isn't out of the news.

Thumbs Up Laughing
Is there no topic which mpd72 won't twist into a bonkers conspiracy theory?

I blame the Russians.

Wink Pass the popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently launching a helicopter with nets or guns would just put the helicopter itself at risk. There are other ways to tackle this;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4SIBDyRhm3k
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZVFAsEaSLw
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a conspiracy. The government is doing it to stop people about Brexit over Christmas dinner. Now they can talk about drones instead of droning Wink

Ste wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
stuff"

£1k doesn't buy a very big drone. Razz

The biggest drone from DJI costs ~£5,500 and you can spend many times that on more professional ones. Shocked

Jamming it wouldn't help as it'll have a return to base function.

There are other jammers available to bring it crashing down directly but they don't actually want to down it. They want to activate the return home function, catches the pilot red handed Wink

Doesn't need to be big, just to be over Gatwick. Wait until they start that third runway at Heathrow Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fourte wrote:
Some bloke on LBC claimed earlier that Heathrow already has anti-drone systems in place. When questioned on why others don't his claim was 'It's a new technology and takes time to put in place' which to me means he's talking shite Heathrow is just as vulnerable and if that one has drones flying near it'll cause massive disruption..

Shotguns are only effective to a certain fairly short range.
Live rounds can travel miles if they miss which means babies dead in nearby villages.

Totally agree on this: definitely something they're not telling us. They'll have known where it was landing and taking off from so why didn't they act?

Shotguns are the best option as the bird management people around the airport will already have them in their SUVs! They can jam the electronics as well as the comms.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Gatwick chaos Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Is there a possibility it was a news diversion stunt by the authorities?

No, none.

No "authority" is going to cause havoc for 100k people just to take the heat off for 2 minutes (which is all it adds up to compared to total coverage on brexit so far).
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling all tech gurus/experts and Fred in his shed.

Heathrow Airport: Can someone confirm that they already have anti-drone systems in place? I reckon authorities don't and are shitting themselves..

The UK really is making itself the laughing stock of the world. We shout that we're mighty and awesome but look at us - we have half of the Middle East living here now and authorities don't know where they are, teenagers on scooters own the streets of the capital, Russia sent some top ranking agents over on public flights and carrying nerve agent and killed some people and flew back unchallenged and now, a whole airport is on tatters because a toy is flying around.

I have my foil hat on: What I actually think this is all about is that our 'leaders' have intelligence that aircraft will be attacked using drones.
We don't have the resources now to tackle this and I expect the country will grind to a halt over it over the holiday period.
Those who want to cause problems in the UK know that violence is no longer needed. They now know that to attack our government, all they need is a few toys, glue etc. It was mentioned in another thread that if the capital cannot function then the country falls to bits. Glue up cash machines, stop the railways working, block roads, break mobile phone networks, break telephone networks. Throw a bicycle into a substation (video it because I like to watch those) It's so easy to do.
(Why are the police outside my door?)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:24 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racist.

Rain
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I'm agreeing with mpd on this one.

Look what it has done - as he says (you are male aren't you?) it's literally obliterated Brexit. All I'm hearing is Edna moaning she won't be able to spend 4 days in Africa etc.
Notice how the very people it's affecting ARE NOT POOR PEOPLE? This is government aiming a distraction at a particular part of society who have money to fly/holiday. It's aimed at distracting those type of voters who could well sway Mays offerings over Brexit.

I now predict that at a very busy/important time our railways will suddenly have to stop being used. It'll be something easily fixed or should I say easily made to happen by government. Something that will ruin peoples 'lives' for 5 days.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:34 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the big Brexit stories which have been buried in the news by all the drone stuff?

Has anything interesting or different happened with Brexit stuff?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's stalling things. It's removing the majority of observation over the whole thing.
It's at time like this when government accidentally slips through a few laws or regulations that screw people over.
I honestly expect something like that to happen - might not be Brexit related stuff but I betcha a banana something slips through.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourte wrote:
It's stalling things. It's removing the majority of observation over the whole thing.
It's at time like this when government accidentally slips through a few laws or regulations that screw people over.
I honestly expect something like that to happen - might not be Brexit related stuff but I betcha a banana something slips through.

The government wont be slipping anything throught, they broke up for xmas on the 20th until the 7th of jan.

Kind of explains the lack of brexit news, unless maybe just maybe there no brexit news because they were too busy flying drones over gatwick to deflect attention from brexit.

Also there are reports they've arrested 2 pax over the drone shenanigans.

No wait a rational explaination, thats not possibe they must be russian patsies set up to make it look like isis did it to slow down brexit

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:47 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't heard of a good explamnation for why they didn't just blast the fecking things with a 12 bore.

A good shot will take out a high pheasant at 100 yards and it's not like you can't have a good few gos at it. The thing is moving relatively slowly and predictably compared to a high bird. Shotgun pellets coming back down aren't going to hurt anyone and they haven't got the range to do damage outsaide the airfield.

It also occurred to me that they would just need to fly near one with a helicopter to totally fuck it up with the downwash. You could easily force one down by hovering over it. Good helicopter pilots can land a linesman on a high tension electricity cable so they can certainly out-manouver a remote control drone.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Still haven't heard of a good explamnation for why they didn't just blast the fecking things with a 12 bore.

A good shot will take out a high pheasant at 100 yards and it's not like you can't have a good few gos at it. The thing is moving relatively slowly and predictably compared to a high bird. Shotgun pellets coming back down aren't going to hurt anyone and they haven't got the range to do damage outsaide the airfield.

It is possible the sightings were brief and not by people ready and armed.

stinkwheel wrote:

It also occurred to me that they would just need to fly near one with a helicopter to totally fuck it up with the downwash. You could easily force one down by hovering over it. Good helicopter pilots can land a linesman on a high tension electricity cable so they can certainly out-manouver a remote control drone.

There is still probably a guy somewhere who doesn't want to sign off on sending a helicopter to effectively battle with a UFO.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

That's the only thing that i find odd about this. [/b]

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:23 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they were more interested in finding the culprits than they were in catching or shooting the drone?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

TBH this was the first thing I thought - and more so when the police said it would be too risky to shoot it down - don't they have shotguns for firearms officers?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Because they were more interested in finding the culprits than they were in catching or shooting the drone?

What are the chances of them having multiple (costly) drones? Wouldn't losing the drone be a deterrent anyway?

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like he got too cocky and ended up getting caught in his hi-vis spandex cyclenazi gear Laughing

Where is Val? Wink

Fourte wrote:
Calling all tech gurus/experts and Fred in his shed.

Heathrow Airport: Can someone confirm that they already have anti-drone systems in place? I reckon authorities don't and are shitting themselves..

The UK really is making itself the laughing stock of the world. We shout that we're mighty and awesome but look at us - we have half of the Middle East living here now and authorities don't know where they are, teenagers on scooters own the streets of the capital, Russia sent some top ranking agents over on public flights and carrying nerve agent and killed some people and flew back unchallenged and now, a whole airport is on tatters because a toy is flying around.

I have my foil hat on: What I actually think this is all about is that our 'leaders' have intelligence that aircraft will be attacked using drones.
We don't have the resources now to tackle this and I expect the country will grind to a halt over it over the holiday period.
Those who want to cause problems in the UK know that violence is no longer needed. They now know that to attack our government, all they need is a few toys, glue etc. It was mentioned in another thread that if the capital cannot function then the country falls to bits. Glue up cash machines, stop the railways working, block roads, break mobile phone networks, break telephone networks. Throw a bicycle into a substation (video it because I like to watch those) It's so easy to do.
(Why are the police outside my door?)

Drone guy is probably looking at 5 years in jail though. But yeah non-violent protest is extremely effective is used right. Internet fibre optics are also quite vulnerable in places like London as they run through the sewers. Anything that is locked with a padlock or chain can have another padlock or chain added to it, preventing the owner from opening it.

Ste wrote:
What are the big Brexit stories which have been buried in the news by all the drone stuff?

Has anything interesting or different happened with Brexit stuff?

The only Brexit story I've seen is the proposal of a managed no deal Brexit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6