Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Worst Christmas song.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Worst Christmas song. Reply with quote

Chris Ureas, Driving home for Christmas. How the hell did the guy ever get allowed into a recording studio? Hes like an embarrassing uncle who has to whip out his fecking geetar at every opertunity.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't that song shelved for years or something? I find it similarly annoying, although it would be quicker to list the Christmas songs that aren't irritating.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Wasn't that song shelved for years or something? I find it similarly annoying, although it would be quicker to list the Christmas songs that aren't irritating.

That just begs the question, which idiot took the tape off the shelf, dusted it off and played it then thought hey this just has to be released!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:12 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst Christmas song?

Not work safe!!! https://open.spotify.com/artist/1fFRFFdA2wGTTWmKyOAtYw

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seriously think 'Driving Home for Christmas' is worse than "Mistletoe and Whine"? Shocked

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:25 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistletoe and wine is worse than driving home for Chrismas but I really hate 'All I want for Christmas' my Mariah Carey. It grates on me so much.

I have started to take a shining to 'Step Into Christmas by Elton John. It really does remind me of Christmas as a kid, along with Last Chrismas, Merry Xmas Everybody and I wish it could be Christmas Everyday.

I'm not a fan of Chris De Burgh's Spaceman Travelling or whatever you call it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live Aid

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them.

I worked for asda for 5 years, many years ago, having them on repeat all day and night totally ruined Christmas for me.

I empathise with anyone that works in retail at this time of year.

ಠ_ಠ

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all a bit pants with a couple of exceptions.
Queen's Thank God it's Christmas and Lemmy's Run Run Rudolph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartney

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
All of them.

I worked for asda for 5 years, many years ago, having them on repeat all day and night totally ruined Christmas for me.

I empathise with anyone that works in retail at this time of year.

I had a very odd conversation with a shop assistant yesterday and then realised she was just in some kind of Christmas chit chat zomvie zone and was just stringing random Christmas shopping related sentences stogether. Poor girl will be totally deranged by Christmas.

What makes Driving home for Christmas so awful, apart from the bad singing and dull melody and crummy lyrics is the so obvious attempt to get radio airplay. What Chris Urea lacks as a musician is made up for by his insight into just how unimaginitive radio DJs are. He knows that everytime there's a traffic report on some local road blockage then at radio stations all across the english speaking world the dumb DJ will stick his crappy record on. Driving home for Christmas is the seasonal version of his other turgid-turd-hit Road to Hell, a guaranteed two times a day rush hour easy listening oh soooo amusing entertaining the commuters "hit".

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
What Chris Urea lacks as a musician is made up for by his insight into just how unimaginitive radio DJs are. He knows that everytime there's a traffic report on some local road blockage then at radio stations all across the english speaking world the dumb DJ will stick his crappy record on.

much radio is just garbage, independent local radio was often the worse offender (with the the odd flash of brilliance, though normally a syndicated show)

to quote Dead Kennedys it's "sugar coated mindless garbage"
Lo-Fi This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
They're all a bit pants with a couple of exceptions.
Queen's Thank God it's Christmas and Lemmy's Run Run Rudolph.

I still like the The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York.

Probably more because of Kirsty Wub

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 21 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lo-Fi wrote:
Happy Xmas (War Is Over). Not only is it a shit song but Lennon was a pretentious prick.

Hi Bodytard Rolling Eyes

ಠ_ಠ

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s the intense repetition of any Christmas songs that makes them so annoying .

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I still like the The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl - Fairytale of New York.

Probably more because of Kirsty Wub

What!? Toothless and Sharkbait! Fairytale of New York is just a sap for the "alternative" Crimbo market!

If you want a proper alternative to the trad Christmas song get a load of Hippopotamus for Christmas https://youtu.be/vsvOrtcrA5c

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked The Only Ones rendition of Silent Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lue4w6Dixrk

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step Into Christmas and Thank God It's Christmas both sound like contractual obligation songs to me.

Worst Christmas song is I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every day. I mean the beardy twat just hasn't thought it through;

The first Christmas day once his wish is granted would be fine, much like normal.
The next day, Christmas again, no shops open or anything, have to re-wrap the pressies opened the day before to open them again, better hope you took the paper off neatly rather than tearing. Plenty of leftovers to eat.
Third Christmas day, only the crappy little party food things no-one will eat are left; you're starting to remember what's in which parcel. Getting harder to fake the surprise and delight. You wish your relatives would shut up and F off. But they can't - it's Christmas tomorrow.
Fourth Christmas day, shops still shut, milk has run out, despair at not being able to make tea sets in.
Seventh Christmas day, the people who got given guns for Christmas are now in charge of what's left of the country. It's all gone a bit Mad Max, but cold and drizzly. Never mind, it's Christmas tomorrow Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I really hate 'All I want for Christmas' my Mariah Carey. It grates on me so much.

I can acknowledge a 'good' Christmas song, I may not like them but I can see they have musical merit. Most of the Christmas songs don't, if they weren't about Christmas they'd have been forgotten long ago.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:27 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:58 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Went straight into an advert Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
Step Into Christmas and Thank God It's Christmas both sound like contractual obligation songs to me.

Worst Christmas song is I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every day. I mean the beardy twat just hasn't thought it through;

The first Christmas day once his wish is granted would be fine, much like normal.
The next day, Christmas again, no shops open or anything, have to re-wrap the pressies opened the day before to open them again, better hope you took the paper off neatly rather than tearing. Plenty of leftovers to eat.
Third Christmas day, only the crappy little party food things no-one will eat are left; you're starting to remember what's in which parcel. Getting harder to fake the surprise and delight. You wish your relatives would shut up and F off. But they can't - it's Christmas tomorrow.
Fourth Christmas day, shops still shut, milk has run out, despair at not being able to make tea sets in.
Seventh Christmas day, the people who got given guns for Christmas are now in charge of what's left of the country. It's all gone a bit Mad Max, but cold and drizzly. Never mind, it's Christmas tomorrow Smile

Jehovah's Witnesses open shops everywhere and clean up.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
What makes Driving home for Christmas so awful, apart from the bad singing and dull melody and crummy lyrics is the so obvious attempt to get radio airplay. What Chris Urea lacks as a musician.......

I'm no Xmas song fan, nor am I a massive Chris Rea fan but, what exactly does he lack as a musician, pray tell?
Not liking someone or their music does not equate to them lacking in musical ability!

A little bit of research reveals, he's a very successful song writer, plays guitar and piano, has made a career out of performing his songs in front of thousands and has four, million selling, albums, yet in your learned opinion he's lacking as musician.

Thanks for your marvellous insight, you've got your finger right on the pulse there then. Rolling Eyes

A little more research reveals that the lyric for "Driving home for Xmas" was written as a sort of joke in 1978, it took a further 8 years for some music to appear. It was then released as a "B" side in 1986, it was finally reworked and released, in the format you despise, in 1988, so a decade on the slow burner before any "cashing in on Xmas" then!
There are 10 cover versions of this particular song!

HTH.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 22 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
What makes Driving home for Christmas so awful, apart from the bad singing and dull melody and crummy lyrics is the so obvious attempt to get radio airplay. What Chris Urea lacks as a musician.......

I'm no Xmas song fan, nor am I a massive Chris Rea fan but, what exactly does he lack as a musician, pray tell?
Not liking someone or their music does not equate to them lacking in musical ability!

A little bit of research reveals, he's a very successful song writer, plays guitar and piano, has made a career out of performing his songs in front of thousands and has four, million selling, albums, yet in your learned opinion he's lacking as musician.

Thanks for your marvellous insight, you've got your finger right on the pulse there then. Rolling Eyes

A little more research reveals that the lyric for "Driving home for Xmas" was written as a sort of joke in 1978, it took a further 8 years for some music to appear. It was then released as a "B" side in 1986, it was finally reworked and released, in the format you despise, in 1988, so a decade on the slow burner before any "cashing in on Xmas" then!
There are 10 cover versions of this particular song!

HTH.

Sorry for offending you madam.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2