16%  [ 8 ]
Other. (Specify.)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 50

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Lottery. Reply with quote

I used to regard the National Lottery as a scam but lately I despaired of my "career" and became so desperate I briefly started playing. So, do you "play" the lottery or not, and why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, mainly on the massive euromillions rollovers

Sometime buy the odd scratch card too.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an account with them and spend approximately £50 a month.

Thats 2 lines per draw on lotto and 1 line per draw on euro millions. It soon adds up.

I'm amazed at how many people buy scratch cards in our local newsagent, spendin 10 or 20 quid a go.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to only play the massive Euromillions jackpots you hear about, but now I play every Euromillions and Lotto draw Embarassed

At least it's only one line, so £9 per week but I'm not proud of myself as it's a tax on the stupid/desperate... I'm sure that's why they changed the UK Lotto, as when they had (say) 300k jackpots they were often won, and they'd rarely rollover to the larger 'life changing' amounts. 300k wouldn't even get you a crummy house round here Folded arms

Also I lucky dip as I started remembering regular numbers and then you get into the "what if my numbers come up" mindset. The downside is you often get shit numbers, say 12,13,24,25,26,50 Rolling Eyes Also I buy my tickets for each draw so if I forget (which I often do) that saves me money Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

At least it's only one line, so £9 per week but I'm not proud of myself as it's a tax on the stupid/desperate

Yes, but if someone THEY don't like wins it, they get all stroppy.

Remember a bloke won it who was a criminal of some sort and the media started a 'he shouldn't get it' campaign.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:28 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I remember when the lottery started, Richard Branson offered to run it as a non profit organisation but Camelot still won. I wonder who got the kickback there.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
M.C wrote:

At least it's only one line, so £9 per week but I'm not proud of myself as it's a tax on the stupid/desperate

Yes, but if someone THEY don't like wins it, they get all stroppy.

Remember a bloke won it who was a criminal of some sort and the media started a 'he shouldn't get it' campaign.

The case I remember (there was probably others) a rapist or something won it with a ticket he bought on day release. I blame Jebus Folded arms

Polarbear wrote:
Also I remember when the lottery started, Richard Branson offered to run it as a non profit organisation but Camelot still won. I wonder who got the kickback there.

I'll be honest I don't like all of the causes they support. I'm not sure about lottery backed athletes now (thanks to this place Smile), when you hear some posh rower going on about lottery funding Thinking

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

They’re currently owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. So we’re all paying for Canadian retirement.

I have a line per week on a direct debit, I didn’t realise how much people were putting in though, £50 per month would be a lot to me.
That said, the mention of £300k would be enough to get a decent four bed detached house where I live, I just don’t have £300k.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

They’re currently owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan. So we’re all paying for Canadian retirement.

I have a line per week on a direct debit, I didn’t realise how much people were putting in though, £50 per month would be a lot to me.
That said, the mention of £300k would be enough to get a decent four bed detached house where I live, I just don’t have £300k.

I didn't actually realise that I was spunking £50 a month. I thought it was about 30, which it probably was until they put up the prices.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an account but it's just for ease of playing.
I probably spend £20 a month maximum but it's only on the Euromillions things and only on the big rollovers.
My biggest win? Just under 100 notes. As they say - you have to play to win.

The lottery rapist was released into Sunderland after being released from prison and then moved to Darras Hall Estate near Newcastle - literally 1/4 mile from Alan Shearers house.
This house was easy to spot - ten thousand big security cameras bolted onto it and driveway gates constantly covered in paint and eggs.
He walked past me in a Cramlington car park with his house cleaner linked to his arm. That was before the story got out that she was fucking him. He really is an ugly bastard.
I've no idea if he still lives there in Darras Hall Estate.

I remember the first week the lottery was played. My pub landlord had a line on and every single one of his numbers was one number off the winning ones.
If you want to piss him off all you do is ask if he has the lottery on!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost never.

I used to. Used to regularly use "the same numbers" - birthdays/ages, although they changed every year due to our ages, LOL ...

But then in fairly quick succession, two different people quite close to my family won life-changing amounts.

So despite the rule of thumb that "things always go in threes", I decided there was no point in continuing.

That was back in around 1997 and I was a bit anxious at first that our numbers would come up. Now I've not been doing it for so long that I'd only be mildly annoyed if our numbers did come up, rather than gutted.

So now I rarely do it, and even if I buy a scratchcard, I almost never get my stake back anyway, wankers. In fact, learning that its run by a Canadian company which means I'm funding Canadian pensions, just makes me less inclined to do it than I was before Shocked

I run hot and cold on my belief about lucky dip being a better likelihood than "my own numbers". But really, the probability is so remote anyway (Jen The Realist) for both the lucky dip number AND the allegedly random numbers that get picked, being the same, that I just don't bother. I'd rather spend it on premium quality cupcakes.

Now we're too old, our "birthday numbers" are too big anyway. Rolling Eyes

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 25 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never won a penny on a lucky dip. I’m not saying they’re fixed, I’m just saying that if I was running the show, lucky dips would only spit out the wrong numbers.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:

It's best not to think about it Neutral It's like a(n expensive) phone contract. 300k was the minimum I remember on the old Lotto, but the jackpot rarely seemed to go over a million before they followed the Euromillions format.

dydey90 wrote:
I’ve never won a penny on a lucky dip. I’m not saying they’re fixed, I’m just saying that if I was running the show, lucky dips would only spit out the wrong numbers.

22 wins in the last year half of them lucky dips, as in a free ticket for to the next draw. Never won more than £25 though Crying or Very sad I hate it when you get the email 'we have news about your ticket', you think it's gonna be the big one and it's £3.60 on Euromillions Rolling Eyes Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's an odd couple of quid change I might buy a lucky dip. Otherwise no.
I did know a bloke who almost won the lottery. His next door neighbour won. Shifty

Whistle

Christmas Hat

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£2 once in a blue moon.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Direct Debit, one ticket per Euromillions.

The chances of winning are near zero... but not actually zero, which it would be if I didn't buy a ticket.
I only ever have one entry in competitions - I feel that if I'm going to win, I'll win, and if I'm not, having 1000 entries won't make any difference. (I know this is NOT how probability works Wink ).

Money is not particularly tight for me, happily; if it ever gets tight, the lottery will be amongst the first to go.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:28 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:

Money is not particularly tight for me, happily; if it ever gets tight, the lottery will be amongst the first to go.

Trouble is, for a lot of poor people, it's the last thing to go but hey, that's the choices you make.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

other, used to way back in the 90's when it was the one draw on a Saturday night

don't now, don't even understand it, there are that many different options and different tickets and prizes etc going on i would be bamboozled knowing where to start

lost interest when it stopped being on of the big things on a weekend telly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add about competitions:
I used to do those crappy competitions in Take a Break magazine. Yup a big bastard bloke from Newcastle entering those competitions - I won one!!

The magazine are real stirrers. Firstly I received a letter from them. They way they'd printed their logo onto the envelope and used thinner white paper - the letter inside had thick dark divider lines printed on it which made the whole thing look like a juicy cheque inside - it wasn't.
That letter told me a delivery was coming from the manufacturer.
When the delivery came my 'prize' filled the whole Transit van. We struggled to get the three massive boxes through my front door.
So what had I won?? I can still remember the description: A matching set of Jane Shilton luggage in 'shimmering blue'. Yup a van full of what was basically the bigger luggage they make such as holiday cases etc.
Completely useless for someone like myself (smaller bags would be filled with tools) and so I sold the lot to a bloke I knew who liked to holiday.

Oh - I won £2.60 last night in the Euromillions - I put another line on and I'm 10p in profit.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
The chances of winning are near zero...

UK Lotto - 1 in 45,057,474
EuroMillions - 1 in 139,838,160

Unless I'm going full Diana Abbott here when they have the really big draws, why doesn't a multi-millionaire buy every combination of numbers? Thinking The Euromillions goes up to 190 million euros (£170.5 mil' apparently), so someone like beardy Branson could make a easy 30 mil', assuming someone else didn't win as well...

However I think they have a rollover limit now which has stopped the really big draws (like 160+ mil'), it's only at 107 mil' currently.

thx1138 wrote:
other, used to way back in the 90's when it was the one draw on a Saturday night

Back in the Mystic Meg days? Smile I doubt they'd even allow that now.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really cared for that kind of thing, but I don't think anyone's stupid for doing it. Winning even a fraction of the jackpot would be brilliant.

I don't think it's a tax on poor or gullible people either. It's just a sweepstake on a national scale. Bit of fun for those who like that kind of thing.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Unless I'm going full Diana Abbott here when they have the really big draws, why doesn't a multi-millionaire buy every combination of numbers?

National Lottery has 13,983,816 possible ticket choices.

People with 14 million quid in the bank probably have better ways to turn their money into more money!

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn’t there a story with the Irish lottery where a syndicate got together and bought every available ticket, but somebody else won the jackpot too? Apparently they still made money due to smaller prizes, but it nearly went wrong.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
M.C wrote:

Unless I'm going full Diana Abbott here when they have the really big draws, why doesn't a multi-millionaire buy every combination of numbers?

National Lottery has 13,983,816 possible ticket choices.

People with 14 million quid in the bank probably have better ways to turn their money into more money!

Wasn't that the old Lotto?

https://beta.ems.ladbiblegroup.com/s3/content/491x276/035bf1005a9e083f554621dcc75c9224.png

With the old lotto I don't recall it getting anywhere near 14 mil'. According to Wikipedia currently there's a 22 mil' jackpot cap (on the UK Lotto).

BTW this is how your wikipedia link looked to me...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_Ae7tVXcAAn9E_.jpg

Smile

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Well think about it.....

How long would it take you to do that?

Quote:
You can play up to 7 lines of numbers on each play slip and buy up to 10 play slips at a time

That's one hell of a lot of tickets to place in 3 days....

Sure you could hire some people to do it for you. But that is going to reduce your winnings.
Never mind the fact someone else could win it as well....

Ever wonder if Camelot don't have software looking for just that type of thing.

I bet they do.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3