Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Camera for insurance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:10 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Camera for insurance? Reply with quote

I installed camera on the car not because I like watching the recordings from there, but for insurance- I was hit a few times while stationary and at least once the driver run away because I wasn’t there.
I wonder if I should get a camera for the bike - I was once knocked off by a car and the driver drove away, but it was about 12 years ago.
Do you think it worths buying a camera for insurance purposes? I am thinking about practicalities- helmet camera will probably somehow affect helmet balance and increase wind noise, require regular charging, and I may run out of battery on rides longer than 3 hours, will probably need to recharge in the office, so need to carry charger with me. Installing on a bike - I saw one in Internet, it connects to bike battery, so no need to recharge the battery, but don’t like 720 resolution
Would like to hear opinions of the users
Thanks

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:20 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a camera on my car, a blackvue one. It is excellent but I don't think they do a motorcycle one or if it is available in the UK

They do an action camera that seems popular with motorcyclists but it does not look as good as the car versions (750s etc).

What I would want is one a lot more descrete that you can hide and leave on.
redeem ouzzer This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anyone who needs camera evidence to defend themselves is a coward IMHO. Instead of spending the money and having the inconvenience of looking a twat with a camera on your head, spend more time opening your eyes.

Bullshit. I got lane-chopped by a woman with no way out of it for me except to run into her and though I didn't have a camera I was lucky to get a really good witness statement from the lady following me. My insurers told me straight that without that statement I would have been held fully at fault. In that situation a camera would have exonerated me just as well as the witness account.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anyone who needs camera evidence to defend themselves is a coward IMHO. Instead of spending the money and having the inconvenience of looking a twat with a camera on your head, spend more time opening your eyes. I’ve been riding 26 years and only had one interference with another vehicle which a camera would of likely proved me partly to blame. Luckily having no camera meant I got away with it.

You're right I am a coward. If I'm semi-potato'd I don't want to be arguing over money I need to try and re-build my life.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anyone who needs camera evidence to defend themselves is a coward IMHO. Instead of spending the money and having the inconvenience of looking a twat with a camera on your head, spend more time opening your eyes.

Bullshit. I got lane-chopped by a woman with no way out of it for me except to run into her and though I didn't have a camera I was lucky to get a really good witness statement from the lady following me. My insurers told me straight that without that statement I would have been held fully at fault. In that situation a camera would have exonerated me just as well as the witness account.

I agree. Fortunately I haven't had to make a claim before, but if I did and it was a non-fault accident then I imagine that knowing that the idiot got away with it would make any insurance premium feel x5 worse than if it was an honest mistake.

Any half-decent motorcycle camera is designed to be areodynaomic so wind resistance won't be a problem unless you're going at motorway speeds and even then it shouldn't be too extreme.

The only problem that I've found with my camera is that it's a bitch to recharge. It's recommended to reharge via a laptop USB which takes many hours.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:44 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that there is a theory behind Schumacher being potato'd having something to do with him having a helmet cam attached to his ski helmet...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Bear in mind that there is a theory behind Schumacher being potato'd having something to do with him having a helmet cam attached to his ski helmet...

Really? Confused I know his helmet stopped him from dying but as bad as it sounds, from everything I've heard he'd be better off dead (I'd rather be).

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:20 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Camera for insurance? Reply with quote

OmegaA wrote:
don’t like 720 resolution

720 is better than 0.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Camera for insurance? Reply with quote

Pointless debate

Last edited by M.C on 01:41 - 27 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to see the license plate, you only need to see what happened. Having no camera wouldn't get you the license plate either.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really f'ing pointless

Last edited by M.C on 01:41 - 27 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:47 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
really? Confused I know his helmet stopped him from dying but as bad as it sounds, from everything I've heard he'd be better off dead (I'd rather be).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Pete. wrote:
You don't need to see the license plate, you only need to see what happened. Having no camera wouldn't get you the license plate either.

Assuming the hit and run situation how would you identify the car? Obviously if they stop you're fine. My point was more about the quality difference between 720 & 1080 (with the old Drifts at least), for example if someone reversed into you then drove off, with the 1080 you could at least read the reg' Smile

If someone reverses into you then drives off you'll get the reg with a VGA camera.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:40 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I give up, I actually have footage from my 720 and 1080 to show the difference but I can't be arsed with this pointless debate.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:00 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, with the state of all the fuckwits on the road and their piss poor driving a camera is pretty much vital. I got sideswiped on a roundabout, fucker didn't even stop and just drove off leaving me there lying in the road like a spastic turtle with a broken arm. Without camera footage Id have been fucked over big time. Their insurers went from "you're making this up, our client wasn't even there" to "our client accepts full liability" after being shown the footage.

Id quite like a little one permanently mounted facing backwards too, but no doubt in London it'd be nicked in seconds. Ive been rear-ended by some dopey cunt texting whilst I was waiting at a red light, no camera footage, police weren't interested.

Drift helmet cameras are amazing and worth their weight in gold. They look a little bit less tellytubby than the GoPro style boxes too.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anyone who needs camera evidence to defend themselves is a coward IMHO.

Respectfully disagree as I do like having a camera recording events in loop mode just in case an actual coward does a hit and run or hits and then pretends that he/she did nothing wrong.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQaIV66DDfc

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

inline4 wrote:
GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anyone who needs camera evidence to defend themselves is a coward IMHO.

Respectfully disagree as I do like having a camera recording events in loop mode just in case an actual coward does a hit and run or hits and then pretends that he/she did nothing wrong.

"Without evidence to the contrary, we can only assume that the accident was at least partially your fault.."

"Buut I'ma brave warrior!!"

"That's fantastic sir, but I'm afraid that we're gonna have to add the accident to your account record and that extra £300 premium. Have a nice day sir!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a camera about your person or on your bike make you a coward?
Ensuring you can prove that an incident wasn’t your fault make you a coward?
How does that work then?

I try to ride defensively and be observant, however being a human being and having to be in the world of other humans, I can’t rely on their behaviour.
So to prove I am a man and not a coward, I must dispense with the ability to prove that I have been wronged.?

Nah! I’ll stick to having a camera Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamEf wrote:

Can't read the plate what camera's that then? Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Camera for insurance? Reply with quote

OmegaA wrote:
I am thinking about practicalities- helmet camera will probably somehow affect helmet balance and increase wind noise, require regular charging, and I may run out of battery on rides longer than 3 hours, will probably need to recharge in the office, so need to carry charger with me. Installing on a bike - I saw one in Internet, it connects to bike battery, so no need to recharge the battery, but don’t like 720 resolution

A fixed on-bike system from https://www.innovv.com/ is 1080p, front- and rear-recording, works on a loop; ie fit-and-forget. Ticks all your boxes but expensive. Personally I'd go for one in a heartbeat apart from the high cost.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Camera for insurance? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
A fixed on-bike system from https://www.innovv.com/ is 1080p, front- and rear-recording, works on a loop; ie fit-and-forget. Ticks all your boxes but expensive. Personally I'd go for one in a heartbeat apart from the high cost.

Expensive but I guess cheaper than potatoing yourself with a helmet cam'.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:27 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winning the argument who might have been to blame is something of a punic victory, especially if you iz dead at the time..... Prevention is far better than a presumed cure....

And one DOES wonder how many folk drive or ride like idiots 'cos camera... means they 'cant' be in the wrong... camera proo-ooves it...... bang! See!!!! It was MY right of way,,, right up the pearly stairs!

Loads of stuff rather more important in the list of priorities to dodge an accident, or try soften the blow when one happens, than an electric widget that 'may' help show who was less in the wrong to be there, after the event, and certainly far more important than whether that widget happened to have web-cam res or 4k vidie cap-ability.... it still needs to be pointing in the right direction, and not wobbling around like an alziemer sufferers mug of tea!

Slightly more practically...... battery life is only half the problem; you need the memory capacity to at least equal if not exceed the battery life in order to capture all it might record.... higher resolution you aim for, more memory you need, and as hintimated, utterly wasted if the picture is wobbling around all over the place, and or camera not pointing at anything 'useful'.....

A wide angle lens, doesn't oft help here, and the topic starts to get a lot deeper. A very wide angle lens, distorts the perspective, far subjects appear very very far, near subjects a lot nearer, in between as the range changes, it appears to change an awful lot faster... so the lens distorts perceptions of both speed and distance.. whilst the wider the lens, to get most margin around where the cameras pointing and hopefuly get that critical angle in shot..... so the relative resolution falls, the subject a much smaller proportion of the whole frame.....

Eg.... you want to prove that it was D875OEP that hit you.... camera not only has to 'see' that bit of the subject that includes the number plate, it has to be clear enough to read, and see the rest of the wreck at the same time..... So its NOT merely the pixie count the camera might generate.... those pixies have to be in the right place at the right time, and not jumping up and down all over exited like.....

So how far do you go?

Even TV companies with the budget to buy really good kit struggle with on-board footage, whether on an F1 car or a chap in a game show..... So how much are you prepared to pay and what's the acceptable quality level, and IS a 'better' camera an awfully large part of the equation, when the mounting system is as if not more important, and you still have the matter of battery and memory capacity...

A-N-D.... what are you trying to prove, WILL this be like a flat fire extinguisher most of the time, doing nothing, but give you some false sense of security that IF it comes to, you are 'prepared'.... oh the CO2 cartridge seems to be flat... there's no foam coming out.... oooh.... its about to get a BIT hot round here...... well, that was a waste of time..... maybe I should have been a bit more careful with the lighter-fluid when the barbeque wouldn't light.......

There's no one size fits all, over the counter answer to the question, A-N-D the very fact that its being asked begs an awful lot of other questions, pulling the priorities back to check that all the basics have been tackled first, which PROBABLY make a ride-cam pretty much redundant if they have been.....

But what the heck... what would You-Tube compositors have to splice together if every-one was a b-i-t sensible on this subject......

Do or dont, its your call, but, in the grander scheme, I think that there's rather a lot more important stuff to be worried about than the resolution of a tele-tubby cam, and whether its best powered of its internal battery or a mains supply!!!!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
And one DOES wonder how many folk drive or ride like idiots 'cos camera... means they 'cant' be in the wrong... camera proo-ooves it...... bang! See!!!! It was MY right of way,,, right up the pearly stairs!

Commercial/company drivers with cameras seem to be the worst for I was in the right type accidents, I think or at least hope 'normal' people are still put-off by the ballache/higher premiums involved with an accident, and obviously (likely) injuries if they're a biker.

Personally the only effect its had on my riding/driving is that I get less rage face now, as I'm recording my own antics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 121 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2