BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Camera for insurance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:27 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP mentions an on-bike camera anyway?

Several people on here have been reversed into by vehicles while they were stationary and no real way to avoid it.

In one case at least, the van driver claimed they ran into the back of them - with no other witnesses, they did have a helmet camera and could prove it. Otherwise they'd be significantly worse off.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Winning the argument who might have been to blame is something of a punic victory, especially if you iz dead

A what?

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does anybody use/recommend any particular on-bike camera?
I've been thinking about getting one of those bullet-style ones.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:23 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
punic victory

A what?

Oh Kay, try a Pyrrhic victory... right nation, wrong war!

Been reading how Hanibal quarreyed the passes out of Spain wide enough for his hefalumps with fire and wine.... hmmm... it dissolved rocks... and you expect me to drink this stuff? Sounds like a good reason to steer clear of the sangria to me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Anyone who needs camera evidence to defend themselves is a coward IMHO.

Absolute toss.
2 days ago, my mate was rear-ended at lights (In his car, not on his bike). They left the scene (full burnout, wrong way down a one way etc). His rear-facing camera had them without any doubts, they've already been arrested and charged. Previously, I've given footage to mates that have needed it and it's helped, and in one case moved a danferous driving prosecution from a friend to the other driver. I've shown my footage to police to sort issues that may otherwise have caused me a lot of problems. They've more than proved themselves to us. Granted, if you ride like a 'tard everywhere, it may trip you up, but that's the risk you take.

Now, Vloggers need to feck off and die in a fire, I don't upload to YT for views or other stupid shit. A camera is just a tool. Like any tool, it's useful if used correctly.

Edit:-
My on bike camera isn't that great, under £30, dual cameras, enought to prove movement in/over lanes, but I need my lid camera for plates and faces. Saw it on here, it does the job, but not amazing. No doubt better ones will be along soon.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Lens-Motorcycle-HD-DVR-Dash-Cam-Front-Rear-Video-Recorder-Camera-G-sensor/372542286804?epid=18027203156&hash=item56bd402bd4:g:7YAAAOSwtFxcIY~S:rk:7:pf:0

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
So does anybody use/recommend any particular on-bike camera?
I've been thinking about getting one of those bullet-style ones.

Drift Ghost X. Very good battery life and "Car DVR" mode that loops in segments and records over old sections when card is full. Can mount to helmet or bike with different attachments. Even longer life battery module available as a spare, though I've never needed more than the standard.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
His rear-facing camera had them without any doubts, they've already been arrested and charged.

Another thing BCF disapproves of Smile IMO if you're going to go fixed you need a front and rear camera (for a car or bike).

Helmet cams* provide a better all round view, as you tend to look at the car that's about to sideswipe you. I guess you could still get rear-ended and have them drive off without seeing the vehicle involved but you do tend to capture most stuff.

*but potato risk Sad

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
His rear-facing camera had them without any doubts, they've already been arrested and charged.

Another thing BCF disapproves of Smile IMO if you're going to go fixed you need a front and rear camera (for a car or bike).

Helmet cams* provide a better all round view, as you tend to look at the car that's about to sideswipe you. I guess you could still get rear-ended and have them drive off without seeing the vehicle involved but you do tend to capture most stuff.

*but potato risk Sad

He has a dual facing cam/two cams (Not honestly sure which it is) Rear one nailed them, their faces were crystal clear, driving car. Obviously no lid camera, it's a car. He had to give the dibble the whole card as evidence, after he had copied it for the insurance company.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:34 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like that? https://youtu.be/5AROvBw6VyY?t=61 That's an interesting solution although it looks like you'd have to have it mounted in the middle of your windshield. I'm probably the only person who has their dashcam actually mounted to their dash Smile as I don't like anything obscuring my view.

I've thought a dual helmet camera would be cool (front and back views).

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:51 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera is well worth getting if you don't ride crazy otherwise it might backfire on you. It'll help sort out insurance cases quicker.

If you're paranoid about a helmet cam damaging you in a crash you can get bike dash cams I've used one called a DV688, runs off the bike battery on a switched source so turns on when the bike's on front and rear.

BTW it's helped me out on 2 cases already rear end etc

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I've used one called a DV688, runs off the bike battery on a switched source so turns on when the bike's on front and rear.

Thanks. That looks like just what I am after!
What's the quality like? Can they read number plates?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
... it looks like you'd have to have it mounted in the middle of your windshield. I'm probably the only person who has their dashcam actually mounted to their dash Smile as I don't like anything obscuring my view.

Mine sits under my seat. You can hear it power on. Periodic check to make sure it's playing nicely. Put a switch on it and just remember to turn it on, or put it on a switched live.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:58 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
evilzed wrote:
I've used one called a DV688, runs off the bike battery on a switched source so turns on when the bike's on front and rear.

Thanks. That looks like just what I am after!
What's the quality like? Can they read number plates?

Get a 1080p, as a720 is not upto decent imagery.
Depending on your budget , higher end an innovv single or dual cam is pretty good.
Next base bike cam is fairly popular, but the mounting is problematic.

Edinho
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:39 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hardwired a sjcam4000 (a cheap gopro) and its been on the handlebars for 2 years now. The footage isn't movie quality but its enough to capture evidence. It just took a bit of fiddling with wiring and cutting some holes with a dremel. And used a RAM mount to fix it.

If you are capable of wiring in your own satnav or lights then you should be able to do it.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoided commenting here but can't resist..

Remember too that it's not just the camera which needs to be decent - make sure to use a Class 10 memory card or better. If you don't then it'll struggle to absorb the data being thrown at it by the camera. That's why you often see footage which jumps or pauses.
Memory cards should be up to the capacity listed in the instructions. If they say 32 gig maximum, don't throw a 64 gig in - it could clash with the device.
When you first install a memory card you must make sure to follow instructions. Often you'll be told to format the card - do it. If you do format the card make sure to do it when inside the camera and not if reading the card on a pc.

Lastly, check where the camera is looking. You'll be wasting time and money if your camera looks at the sky or your front wheel. You'd be surprised how many people do that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:28 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Avoided commenting here but can't resist..

Remember too that it's not just the camera which needs to be decent - make sure to use a Class 10 memory card or better. If you don't then it'll struggle to absorb the data being thrown at it by the camera. That's why you often see footage which jumps or pauses.
Memory cards should be up to the capacity listed in the instructions. If they say 32 gig maximum, don't throw a 64 gig in - it could clash with the device.
When you first install a memory card you must make sure to follow instructions. Often you'll be told to format the card - do it. If you do format the card make sure to do it when inside the camera and not if reading the card on a pc.

Lastly, check where the camera is looking. You'll be wasting time and money if your camera looks at the sky or your front wheel. You'd be surprised how many people do that.

Drift told me to use a class 4 card (iirc) with their older 720/1080 range. Basically my 720 started corrupting video, Drift replaced it with a 1080 even though I was just outside the 3 month refurb' warranty (pro tip get a full warranty Smile), and told me to get a slower memory card.

Being stubborn I didn't, carried on using my class 10 and it was fine for ages, however it has started occasionally corrupting video/locking up again. I'm not sure why.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2