Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Using a hand car wash for your bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Using a hand car wash for your bike Reply with quote

Hi,
My bike's gotten pretty cruddy over the winter with caked-on mud etc so it's past time for another wash, but one problem; with my accommodation I've either got to awkwardly try and clean around my bike with one of the sides pressed against a wall, or risk parking on double yellows.

I'm happy to pay the price of going to a hand car wash but in 4 years of working close to one I've never ever seen a bike there.
Why is this? Is it the pride of "The only person to touch my bike is me and the old lady" or is it because the heavy-handed fool who's used to cars won't appreciate the exposed wiring and other parts which are more vulnerable?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:22 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its because bikes aren't cars.

I will wash mine if its shitty, but I won't use any pressure wasters etc.

Park on the path near your house/front door and wash it, no one will care. Or wash it where you park it...

It will get dirty again though... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a fine for washing a motorcycle on yellows, you'll be a hero.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
If you get a fine for washing a motorcycle on yellows, you'll be a hero.

Something to frame.... Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one end of the scale - It takes about 5 mins to wash the worst shit off. About the same to make sure the shit is off the brakes/wheels/lights. Done.

At the other - You wouldn't trust your average hand car wash to look after soemthing with decent bodywork that needs a wash/polish/wax.

I think you'll find it covers almost all bikes.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:45 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't trust them. What if they knock it over or accidentally pull out a cable or something else. They won't admit it and if it's a critical part you could have a problem or worse it could be dangerous.

What's wrong with using a jet wash?

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take it to one of the jet wash bays. Take a shitty yellow sponge with you for the detailed bits.

If you jet wash it, stand back around electricals, seals etc.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:57 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of the hand carwashes here will do my bike or any bike, they are just being snooty about it too, as I even offered to give them ten quid to use their pressure washer and said I'd do it myself and they wouldn't let me do it, I made the offer after they started spouting health and safety bollocks, or said they'd worry about damaging my bike

there was a place with 4 coin-ops, but it's gone and is a hand carwash too

fortunately several more jetwashes have sprung up again now, as for a time there was just one in town and it was out of order a lot of the time

I can't jetwash where I am, cos I live in a terraced street, though I might ask the father-in-law if I can buy one and keep it at his,if I do his campervan for him

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
I'd take it to one of the jet wash bays. Take a shitty yellow sponge with you for the detailed bits.

If you jet wash it, stand back around electricals, seals etc.

I just leave the engine running and give it a good going over, then dry off the seat with a microfiber cloth.... so far my VFR coughed and spluttered a bit for the first half mile or so, but I found it was the wrong spark plug caps that had been fitted.

thx1138 wrote:
none of the hand carwashes here will do my bike or any bike, they are just being snooty about it too, as I even offered to give them ten quid to use their pressure washer and said I'd do it myself and they wouldn't let me do it, I made the offer after they started spouting health and safety bollocks, or said they'd worry about damaging my bike...

Couple of years ago I went to one (of the numerous) places, I asked how much and it was a quid cheaper than the cars, even though they had never done a bike before... they soaped it up and let me jet it off Mr. Green

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current bike has never gotten dirty. So it doesn't get washed, just wiped over with quick detailer and trim restorer.
The only bit that does get cleaned in detail is the chain, wouldn't think twice about using a jetwash to clean a bike though.
Although mine has a vario pressure lance. Fowlers has a little dude jetwashing bikes they have worked on, day in and
out. It can't be that bad for them. Truth is, despite their simplicity, many don't know how to use a jetwash properly. I base
this assumption on how many times I see people with the nozzle an inch away from the paint trying to use the jet to replace
getting their hands wet when washing a vehicle. I snowfoamed my ER6f ffs, nothing broke, failed or was reluctant to work.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably go with the jetwash open then; either buying one or using the self-service bays. If it does anything bad to the bike then at least it'll be my own fault rather than by a car cleaner who may neither know nor care about what they've done.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1