BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heated Grips

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:38 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Heated Grips Reply with quote

I am looking at what winter hand combination I should go for.

I have been looking for what seems like hours at winter gloves. Everything from gerbing heated to richa gore Tex ones and I can't make up my mind.

So I have been thinking of combining both heated grips and a cheaper set of gloves. For example the Oxford heated grips are £50 at the moment with a set of Richa carbon gloves or IXS arctic.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101831 - I have noticed there are sports, touring commute versions. What is the difference?

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/33557 - these have had recommendations as decent gloves on some sites.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/299789 - edging towards these over the carbon due to the gore Tex lining.

Thoughts please.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grips are different lengths and all have the ability to be trimmed, but you'd have to measure your current setup to understand what ones you'd need.

I wouldn't bother with "winter" gloves to be honest: all a bit of a gimmick. Buy hand guards instead and you'd probably give yourself a better chance of keeping extra warm.

Worth popping down to a local dealer -- one that sells them on the shelf -- to see how much it would cost to get them fitted (hand guards you can do yourself but grips are probably worth having some form of warrenty on)?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:48 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips aren't really difficult to fit and the Oxford ones even know when the engine is running and so will turn off if it isn't so you can just stick them directly onto the battery if you really cant figure out how to get them working via the ignition.

I wouldn't pay someone to fit them.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 26 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Heated grips aren't really difficult to fit and the Oxford ones even know when the engine is running and so will turn off if it isn't so you can just stick them directly onto the battery if you really cant figure out how to get them working via the ignition.

I second that....

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heated grips are excellent, but yes make sure you buy the correct ones for the length of your grips. I had to cut mine down and I nearly ran out of room (i.e. another few mm and I would have been cutting into the heated part). They are easy to fit, oxford smart ones direct to the battery, but they have a light on them so are very hard to leave on anyway unless you are totally absent minded.

I use short summer gloves with mine, the leather retains more heat than fabric gloves. You'll only really need the gloves for waterproofing rather than for heat. Hand guards or muffs are a real bonus if you're doing longer journeys as they keep all the wind blast off your hands, but up to half hour journeys I've been fine with just the grips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:09 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated gloves -> Muffs -> heated grips -> winter gloves.

My wifes bike has muffs AND heated grips. I can ride it without gloves, even in sub-zero conditions.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to rely on muffs and winter gloves, still found myself pressing my hands against the engine to warm them up every time I stopped, still got home with paralysed fingers . Last year I fitted Oxford HotGrips and the difference is unbelievable, only need the muffs and mid season gloves and my hands stay comfortably warm. After two winters I've never had the grips above the 50% setting, with 40% being more usual. Probably the best fifty quid I've ever spent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:03 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[grips arrived this afternoon and I have fitted thwm. They are working well but I need to take the bike on a test run really to test properly.

Fitting was pretty straight forward really. [/list]

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Heated gloves -> Muffs -> heated grips -> winter gloves.

My wifes bike has muffs AND heated grips. I can ride it without gloves, even in sub-zero conditions.

So can I, Cool

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
They are working well but I need to take the bike on a test run really to test properly.

Fit muffs as well, otherwise you'll only warm up the inside of your hands.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:11 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went into my local bike shop and was recommended Halvassons, does anyone know anything about these?

They felt nice, not too thick, I have heated grips so might not need thick gloves.

https://www.bikestop.co.uk/halvarssons-advance-laminate-waterproof-leather-gloves?nosto=nosto-recently-viewed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:39 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
Went into my local bike shop and was recommended Halvassons, does anyone know anything about these?

They felt nice, not too thick, I have heated grips so might not need thick gloves.

https://www.bikestop.co.uk/halvarssons-advance-laminate-waterproof-leather-gloves?nosto=nosto-recently-viewed

It's a good make.

They are waterproof because of a membrane in the layers. if that gets damaged, they are no longer waterproof. I suspect it may be bonded down in a higher end make like that.

It has however been said, there are gloves that spuriously claim to be waterproof and there are goretex gloves.

My personal test with winter gloves is to put them on then decide if the lining is going to stay put if I take them off with wet hands. Pissing about trying to stuff the lining back into the ends of the fingers with freezing hands is no fun.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:57 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to go for the Halvassons in the end as they felt great.

Found this review, a little old but decent anyway.

https://www.motolegends.com/halvarssons-advance-gloves-review

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
[grips arrived this afternoon and I have fitted thwm. They are working well but I need to take the bike on a test run really to test properly.

Fitting was pretty straight forward really. [/list]

I find that there's a correlation between engine rpm and heated grip output (you'd expect that though really!); if I'm bumbling through town in the early morning and it's dead, the engine isn't doing many rpms so the grips tend not to pump out as much heat, but if I'm going faster, accelerating or especially on the motorway where the revs are holding steady at a higher number I'd normally cruise at, then they churn out much more heat.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:49 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not noticed that on mine however I have a 125 that is almost always at high revs. Besides I have not used them that often, only doing a 10mins to and from train station currently.

steve_
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:32 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use R&G heated grips and tucano handlebar muffs.
You could use any gloves and your hands will be nice and warm.
I do a 60 mile round trip 5 days a week.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAYK47 wrote:
Not noticed that on mine however I have a 125 that is almost always at high revs. Besides I have not used them that often, only doing a 10mins to and from train station currently.

10 mins with the recent weather is nothing Smile

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:23 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RAYK47 wrote:

10 mins with the recent weather is nothing Smile

That's what I mean, I am not really using the heated grips at the moment. Even though I am using summer gloves until my Halvassons arrive.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1