Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Religion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

I think it was about 10 years ago we went to York, and admission to the Minster there was about £15 each Shocked

Quote:
It costs £23,000 a day to run York Minster

Laughing

Round here they knock schools down for being expensive to run Laughing

You can't equate the two.

We are custodians for the treasures in our country for the future generations.

It's a bit like the argument which is more important. 1 of the last 800 or so tigers in India or the little girl it has just eaten, one of 7 billion humans.

The Tiger is (unless it's your little girl).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Isn't it funny; it took the thing we all hate - religion- to get these built. Perhaps their upkeep should all be taken on by English Heritage and/or The National Trust - the cathedrals at least.

Now what do we build? Glass and steel monuments to the god of money. And they're all so boring. Although, I must admit, in certain light, the skyscrapers of the big cities can look quite impressive, but they'll never match the detailed gothic stonework and soaring spires of a cathedral for sheer beauty, and never mind the stunning decorativeness of the interiors.

There are some skills we should never have allowed to disappear, but I wonder what it would cost to build such now? Kings of old virtually bankrupt entire nations to build their castles once upon a time, but an intricate cathedral must have been at least as expensive - relative to size, I imagine far more so.

Anyway, what motivation, what use could we possibly have for such constructs today?

I think I was born in the wrong era Sad

Totally agree.

Look at some of the buildings we have - The Palace of Westminster (Parliament), The wonderful castles all round the country. Some of the amazing stately homes.

Even the railway stations the Victorians built are stunning.

And Crossness sewer pumping station (below) is stunning. FFS it (was) a fully operational sewer pumping station in the Victorian era, look at it.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/F2MDKC/the-octagon-at-the-centre-of-crossness-sewage-pumping-station-south-F2MDKC.jpg

Can you imagine anyone saying the Gherkin should be a listed building.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is beautiful!

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

many texts mention being in the wilderness for years or up a mountain starving, at which point they must have been so hungry that they ate the mushrooms, and then they were visited by God who spoke to them?

tldr, all religions are the result of someone's mushroom trip

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I think it was about 10 years ago we went to York, and admission to the Minster there was about £15 each Shocked

Quote:
It costs £23,000 a day to run York Minster

Laughing

Round here they knock schools down for being expensive to run Laughing

You can't equate the two.

We are custodians for the treasures in our country for the future generations.

It's a bit like the argument which is more important. 1 of the last 800 or so tigers in India or the little girl it has just eaten, one of 7 billion humans.

The Tiger is (unless it's your little girl).

The schools I'm referring to are generally Victorian, ok not York Minster but we don't have many buildings that old, plus our council has a habit of letting them fall down to build Barratt boxes on them. All about the council tax.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
many texts mention being in the wilderness for years or up a mountain starving, at which point they must have been so hungry that they ate the mushrooms, and then they were visited by God who spoke to them?

Eventually, Ghostie's gonna have the religious experience to beat em all Laughing

Except, I don't think a BCF BBQ site quite matches the solitariness found in the mountains. Although, having said that, some couldn't get any higher Wasted Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:

The most feasible explanation I've heard Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
andys675 wrote:

The most feasible explanation I've heard Thumbs Up

I think it may have started when man tried to explain the natural phenomena he saw around him, coming to it with no scientific understanding whatsoever. Religion didn't begin with any of the major versions we know today, but there were whole pantheons of gods for all the things early man, early civilisations saw around them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought early religions were just vague customs and beliefs*, then the major ones were all about converting people, silencing dissenters, you know the kinda shit that generally leads to bloodshed.

*like that:
https://fordonfilm.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/the-wicker-man-5.jpg

Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I thought early religions were just vague customs and beliefs*, then the major ones were all about converting people, silencing dissenters, you know the kinda shit that generally leads to bloodshed.

Smile

The ancient Greek and Roman religions were more than vague customs and beliefs. Their civilisations were largely built on their gods and what they stood for.

The Romans in particular didn't mind who or what others in their empire worshipped, as long as they sacrificed to the Roman gods too, and paid their taxes of course. But they did finally clash spectacularly with the Jewish religion in about AD66. That was about Nero trying to raise the finances to build his ideal Rome though, and his procurator in Judea not caring how he went about raising funds from that province.

In the mid-300s BC, I don't think I ever read about Alexander trying to convert the people of the lands he conquered to the Greek beliefs system either. In fact, I think Alexander saw, for e.g., the gods of the Egyptian people and saw their equivalents in his own religion.

Of course there were established religions elsewhere before that too, and I think they were taken very seriously, the Egyptians themselves having a very intricate series of beliefs that influenced all aspects of their daily lives too.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:48 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always the Romans with you Rolling Eyes Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Its always the Romans with you Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Yeah, don't know why I'm interested in such an obscure period of history Confused
I mean, what did the Romans ever do for us? Laughing

Oh yeah, they passed Christianity on to the western world...knew there was something relevant here Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:30 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dearly wish that I held religious values, so I could debate them with you Philistines.

As it stands, the closest we have is Mdma and his ultra right-wing Christianity. He will doubtless deny his beliefs, but his ideologist gods are all that way out, so I look forward to his comment.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I dearly wish that I held religious values, so I could debate them with you Philistines.

Don't be so hard on yourself. After all, you know who Vic and Bob are Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic sums up my general experience, outside immigrant communities who do seem to be heavily religious, where are all the Jesus freaks? Smile

I posted this in another topic the other day (not on this subject Shifty):
https://www.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/FT_14.04.23_UKreligion.png
I'd say both figures are too high with the census one being total BS. I can only assume people think they're Christian because they were christened or got married in a church or something.

In terms of practicing Christians well...
https://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/screen-shot-2016-01-14-at-1-34-54-pm.png?w=592&h=361
There was something on the news recently about last year being a great year for attendances, but AFAIK they're still in terminal decline...

Dance!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

In terms of practicing Christians well...
https://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/screen-shot-2016-01-14-at-1-34-54-pm.png?w=592&h=361
There was something on the news recently about last year being a great year for attendances, but AFAIK they're still in terminal decline...

Dance!

I'd add that I think some will just have made their beliefs a more private matter, which is fine by me. But a decline in religious belief is also fine by me. The question is, what will people replace religion with, if anything? Science? Materialism? Religions have given us many of our values and morals, or at least promoted them. Is it just that they don't need to be propped up artificially anymore? Or is it even that such values and morals aren't even relevant or necessary anymore?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:04 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I'd add that I think some will just have made their beliefs a more private matter, which is fine by me. But a decline in religious belief is also fine by me. The question is, what will people replace religion with, if anything? Science? Materialism? Religions have given us many of our values and morals, or at least promoted them. Is it just that they don't need to be propped up artificially anymore? Or is it even that such values and morals aren't even relevant or necessary anymore?

I dunno, most religious people I know like to shout about it. You don't need religion to have morals or values Rolling Eyes If you need a book to tell you thou shalt not kill then there's something wrong with you in the first place.

Furthermore think of all the religious violent countries, they're either ignoring religion so it's irrelevant anyway, or (as I suspect) using religion to absolve themselves of and justify their crimes.

The problem with the world (IMO) is a lack of responsibility and awareness, religion is a major cause of this.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I dunno, most religious people I know like to shout about it.

Perhaps that's how you know about those ones Wink

Quote:
You don't need religion to have morals or values Rolling Eyes If you need a book to tell you thou shalt not kill then there's something wrong with you in the first place.

What do you need then? Schools? Parents? What if killing someone sets you at an advantage in some way? Why shouldn't you? How will you know why you shouldn't? In many of our inner cities, youngsters often don't seem to know. Is it just the knowledge that society will punish you if you do (if you get caught)? Is that enough? It doesn't seem to be, does it?

Quote:
The problem with the world (IMO) is a lack of responsibility and awareness, religion is a major cause of this.

Why are people responsible for others? Awareness of what? The consequences? What are the consequences of killing someone if you aren't caught?

I think to say religion is responsible for all lack of awareness or responsibility is wrong, too general (and you know how I hate generalisations Laughing ). In many cases, in many times and places, it has been the major promoter of such. Sure, it has been used often in conflict, caused conflict. But it is all about interpretation.

I think religion had a very important role in society. My question is, how, in modern times, do you take those parts which are good (promotion of values) without all the sky fairy worship, which many of us here in the west disdain now, and make them meaningful to those who have no religious, as we traditionally understand the word, beliefs? Not all people are what we might consider as decent honest citizens at heart. There is always the darker side of man's nature.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I prefer some of the morals and rules that have come from Christianity than some of the total lack of morals and rules that seem to be prevalent now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What do you need then? Schools? Parents? What if killing someone sets you at an advantage in some way? Why shouldn't you? How will you know why you shouldn't? In many of our inner cities, youngsters often don't seem to know. Is it just the knowledge that society will punish you if you do (if you get caught)? Is that enough? It doesn't seem to be, does it?

The stereotypical black gangbanger (I assume that's what you mean) is religious. Are you suggesting moar Jebus will save them? Confused

chickenstrip wrote:
Why are people responsible for others? Awareness of what? The consequences? What are the consequences of killing someone if you aren't caught?

I think to say religion is responsible for all lack of awareness or responsibility is wrong, too general (and you know how I hate generalisations Laughing ). In many cases, in many times and places, it has been the major promoter of such. Sure, it has been used often in conflict, caused conflict. But it is all about interpretation.

I think religion had a very important role in society. My question is, how, in modern times, do you take those parts which are good (promotion of values) without all the sky fairy worship, which many of us here in the west disdain now, and make them meaningful to those who have no religious, as we traditionally understand the word, beliefs? Not all people are what we might consider as decent honest citizens at heart. There is always the darker side of man's nature.

Being responsible for your own actions, unlike parts of the world where people jump in motor cars, and drive like nutters because it's in gods hands Rolling Eyes Awareness comes from asking questions, not being fed a set of bullshit answers from a young age which rather than helping people only makes them extremely narrow-minded.

I don't. Religion has held us back for thousands of years.

Polarbear wrote:
I think I prefer some of the morals and rules that have come from Christianity than some of the total lack of morals and rules that seem to be prevalent now.

Like homosexuality being a sin?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Polarbear wrote:

Like homosexuality being a sin?

Will I go to hell if I say yes or will I go to hell if I say no Thinking

I was brought up in the era where homosexuality was not only deemed wrong, it was illegal, obscene and unnatural even before the church had their say.

In my lifetime it has gone from that to being positively encouraged at every opportunity. That is as wrong in my eyes as the attitude towards homosexuals when I was a kid.

The church has a problem in that it is mainly filled by people of my era with the ingrained morals fro the 1960's it has to keep sweet while being politically correct.

Islam doesn't suffer from this, they just throw poofs off high buildings.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The church has a problem in that it is mainly filled by people of my era with the ingrained morals fro the 1960's it has to keep sweet while being politically correct.

You have to admit, given that a lot (all?) of the abuse dished out was against young boys, is that not considered homosexuality? Thinking

They just stuffed young, vulnerable women into the laundries didn't they, after removing the kids they had borne?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

You have to admit, given that a lot (all?) of the abuse dished out was against young boys, is that not considered homosexuality? Thinking

They just stuffed young, vulnerable women into the laundries didn't they, after removing the kids they had borne?

I'm not defending the church in any way or form. I'm saying the majority of people who actually go to church regard homosexuality as a sin, even if they don't say it.

Lets be honest, sky fairy worshippers of whatever book will believe despite whatever has gone on in the past.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying you are. I'm just saying that whilst homosexuality is such a sin in the eyes of many of the older congregation, the sexual abuse of boys, by men, does not appear to be the same? Thinking

In my opinion, that's actually worse, given queers are generally consenting adults. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother told me that if I ever need to talk to someone, I could always talk to our vicar. (My father had done a bunk by then)

She totally believed the vicar/priest was a good man even though all she went on was he was a priest.

There was that sort of unquestioning trust back then.

And my mother wasn't a stupid woman, she was deputy head ay a girls secondary school.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7