Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Religion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The stereotypical black gangbanger (I assume that's what you mean) is religious.

I'll assume ( Wink ) you are correct.

Quote:
Are you suggesting moar Jebus will save them? Confused

Is that what you think I'm suggesting? If so, you're wrong. I'm not really suggesting anything. I asked a lot of questions. Have a go at answering some of them if you like Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Will I go to hell if I say yes or will I go to hell if I say no Thinking

I was brought up in the era where homosexuality was not only deemed wrong, it was illegal, obscene and unnatural even before the church had their say.

In my lifetime it has gone from that to being positively encouraged at every opportunity. That is as wrong in my eyes as the attitude towards homosexuals when I was a kid.

The church has a problem in that it is mainly filled by people of my era with the ingrained morals fro the 1960's it has to keep sweet while being politically correct.

Islam doesn't suffer from this, they just throw poofs off high buildings.

Honestly that makes you sound like a bit of a dinosaur and this well I was brought up that way attitude is part of the problem IMO (particularity with Jesus freaks) . I agree somewhat that it's wrong how they seem to be encouraging 'homosexuality' although I'd phrase it more as a feminisation of male children, which's fine if you're that way inclined but a lot of blokes still like football/drinking/watching a punch-up.

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

The stereotypical black gangbanger (I assume that's what you mean) is religious.

I'll assume ( Wink ) you are correct.

Quote:
Are you suggesting moar Jebus will save them? Confused

Is that what you think I'm suggesting? If so, you're wrong. I'm not really suggesting anything. I asked a lot of questions. Have a go at answering some of them if you like Smile

What did I fail to answer? Your supposition, even if it was just a random idea, was that a lack of religious morals/values is a contributing factor in inner city violence. That doesn't tally with my experience.

I'm willing to bet the countries we consider civilised have lower levels of religion, or at least those global religions of peace known as Christianity and Islam.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

What did I fail to answer? Your supposition, even if it was just a random idea, was that a lack of religious morals/values is a contributing factor in inner city violence. That doesn't tally with my experience.

I'm willing to bet the countries we consider civilised have lower levels of religion, or at least those global religions of peace known as Christianity and Islam.

It's not so much a lack of religious morals/values. I do think we have come far enough (our generations, anyway) to have a well developed sense of those things ourselves. But we must have got them from somewhere - they're not innate in all humans sans external influence. But also, let's not confine the question to inner cities - they're just perhaps the most extreme examples.

It's more a question of how the generations to come will develop those same values in the absence of religion. Would you, for instance, say there has been a decline in moral values over the past few decades, as many people think? If so, what would you say has been the cause?

Here's another, associated, question: what are the moral values of corporate globalism?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It's not so much a lack of religious morals/values. I do think we have come far enough (our generations, anyway) to have a well developed sense of those things ourselves. But we must have got them from somewhere - they're not innate in all humans sans external influence. But also, let's not confine the question to inner cities - they're just perhaps the most extreme examples.

It's more a question of how the generations to come will develop those same values in the absence of religion. Would you, for instance, say there has been a decline in moral values over the past few decades, as many people think? If so, what would you say has been the cause?

Well I'm gonna sound MPD here but I think mass immigration has played a role. We've imported people with different standards and yes, those with a religious outlook. We've also lacked a identity of our own, which isn't a bad thing IMO, but it does make you impressionable and drawn to cultures with a strong identity.

To hopefully explain this a bit more; inner-city violence is heavily influenced by the US rap/gang/street culture, obviously black lads identify with this the most but also some white and Asian kids are drawn to it. I know we used to have the Krays etc., it's not like we were the Eloi Smile, but rather than people adapting to our culture we seem to have adapted to theirs.

Acid attacks are another example, you used hear about them mainly overseas, in poorer countries. Who started doing them over here (in recent years)? It's like the saying one bad apple can spoil the bunch, humans are stupid and tend to base their behaviour on the behaviour of others, if the standard of that behaviour drops that becomes the new norm.

Also I don't think people in quiet English villages are throwing acid at each other, from what I hear in the civilised world things are still fairly you know... civilised.

chickenstrip wrote:
Here's another, associated, question: what are the moral values of corporate globalism?

As you mentioned materialism earlier no I don't think this take take take attitude is healthy either, but then I'm not sure religion prevents that. There has to be something in the middle, and consumerism if you think about it is a sort of religion as well.

What drives me mad is we seem to be constantly arguing about how we should condition people... how about we just don't?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Religion Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I spent the best part of a car journey last night discussing religion with a religist.

Dem folk are well fucked up. Brainwashed Pricks.

I prey to Jesus that I dont go to heaven when i die.
I'll probably skull one of the cunts up there.

I spent a large part of my life on the receiving end of religious discussions.
I totally get it, I don't think my values were lower than my father's. I'm happy he died with whatever comforting thoughts he had.

He wholeheartedly believed...he was a kind of born again Christian..he would preach to any and all...I'll let that sink in.

Growing up with a more scientific mindset meant I was either at odds or embarrassed of him. In my youth I went along with it....taken to massive Christian group meetings whereupon I spent my time trying to finger a nice American girl or causing general havoc around the venues.

FFWD>> a few decades and after going to different types of religious groups he kinda had his own Christian based religion.
Then one time he came over to play my new guitar and I announced that I didn't believe or indeed disbelieve. Sure there's lots of evidence supporting life and the creation of the universe(s) but y'know ...I can't compute it. Before the bang? Infinity does not compute. To believe in infinity I need what my father had....faith...belief.

...but yeah we don't need religion. In every guise in every form it has sociopaths and psychopaths at it's head...just like big business and politics and Jeff down the snooker club.

Howling Terror snr .

Dad studied religion which meant learning how to read and write...later on he could read ancient Hebrew and do massive sums in his head...oh and he could read and write sheet music.... played blues and R&B guitar as good as the best of them..grade 7 classical...grade 5 saxophone...gigged extensively, handsome bastard, hard as fucking nails...battered a politician....took in homeless....sailed to America peeling potatoes every day...'borrowed' a double decker and took people waiting at bustops to their doors....no charge.
The church overflowed into the street at his funeral.

He was obviously a skyfairy loving nutter but you would've liked him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

What drives me mad is we seem to be constantly arguing about how we should condition people... how about we just don't?

I'm knackered now, so for the moment I'll just take this bit Smile ;

Aren't the laws of the land about conditioning people? Are you saying we should have no rule of law?
No, I know you don't think that, but do you get what I mean? Actually, I think you might be saying that the rule of law should be enough, if properly enforced? But I wonder, maybe that's not enough.

Was Mary Whitehouse right? Shocked !!!!!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Religion of Science makes me laugh, It' science so must be believed until it is proven wrong again and again and again. Not long ago science said that the earth was at the center, then it decided it wasn't. Steven bloody Hawkins is another prime example, says that space is xyz, but tells then says that you are too thick to understand and by the time we understand he came up with another theory and gets loads of money for it. In a few hundred years they will laugh at him and call him an idiot.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

George carlin has the one quote that perfectly sums up religion for me:

https://pics.me.me/tell-people-theres-an-invisible-man-in-the-sky-who-4947906.png

ಠ_ಠ

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

I'm knackered now, so for the moment I'll just take this bit Smile ;

Aren't the laws of the land about conditioning people? Are you saying we should have no rule of law?
No, I know you don't think that, but do you get what I mean? Actually, I think you might be saying that the rule of law should be enough, if properly enforced? But I wonder, maybe that's not enough.

Was Mary Whitehouse right? Shocked !!!!!

The reason I don't want to kill you and eat your face is cos I don't want to kill you and eat your face... not because I might get caught if I do Smile Does a law saying I can't kill you and eat your face stop a psychopath from killing you and eating your face?

Hungry for face now...

Skudd wrote:
The Religion of Science makes me laugh, It' science so must be believed until it is proven wrong again and again and again. Not long ago science said that the earth was at the center, then it decided it wasn't. Steven bloody Hawkins is another prime example, says that space is xyz, but tells then says that you are too thick to understand and by the time we understand he came up with another theory and gets loads of money for it. In a few hundred years they will laugh at him and call him an idiot.

Isn't that a good thing? With religion people believe a work of fiction created thousands of years ago. Sure Christianity might have mellowed a bit (well some of them) but it's a religion of intolerance, you only need people to start taking that shite literally again, much like Islam seems to be doing for us to be back in the dark ages.

At least with science old shit theories get torn up, maybe they get a mention as a footnote but they don't keep teaching stuff they know to be outdated and wrong*, unlike religions.

*well maybe for a few years until they update the syllabus.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it, Islam is the dominant religion in the UK.

Sure, 'historically Christian' culture is the dominant culture of the UK, but nobody goes to church any more.

What's most interesting is how people think the dominance of Islam is a problem. Religion is make-believe for idiots. Lots of people going to the mosque each day is about as worrying as lots of people going to watch football on a Saturday. Or Sunday or whichever day it is.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

The reason I don't want to kill you and eat your face is cos I don't want to kill you and eat your face... not because I might get caught if I do Smile Does a law saying I can't kill you and eat your face stop a psychopath from killing you and eating your face?

Hungry for face now...

So if you don't believe the rule of law and its possible consequences to someone who breaks the law encourages higher moral standards, and you don't believe religion ever encouraged higher moral standards, what exactly is it that you're relying on to do so? Crime increases when there are no consequences for committing it, wouldn't you say?

The psychopath bit...well, neither the rule of law, religion or anything else is going to stop him from killing me and eating my face if he's inclined to. But an otherwise perfectly sane person might decide I have something they want (I don't, I'm poor Laughing ), and therefore that it's worth his while killing me and eating my face (he might not do that bit if he's not a psychopath Smile ) to get it, if there will be no consequences for his actions. Especially if he sees others doing it and getting away with it too.

Anyway, what does face taste like?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

What's most interesting is how people think the dominance of Islam is a problem.

That depends. What if it's the kind of Islam that the Taliban made dominant in Afghanistan? Or that ISIS wish to make dominant throughout the world? Would you be ok with that?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Let's face it, Islam is the dominant religion in the UK.

Sure, 'historically Christian' culture is the dominant culture of the UK, but nobody goes to church any more.

What's most interesting is how people think the dominance of Islam is a problem. Religion is make-believe for idiots. Lots of people going to the mosque each day is about as worrying as lots of people going to watch football on a Saturday. Or Sunday or whichever day it is.

Is it? 5% according to the census figures, and under 'other' on the alternative figures I posted earlier.

I'm still of the belief if the terrorist/stabby stabby element were to go away so would the 'Islamophobia', much like hatred for the Irish* has rapidly evaporated since the IRA stopped bombing the mainland.

*except for pikeys, but again that only proves you can dislike a minority of a particular group without being raciss**

**unless you consider pikeys a race... they're not

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So if you don't believe the rule of law and its possible consequences to someone who breaks the law encourages higher moral standards, and you don't believe religion ever encouraged higher moral standards, what exactly is it that you're relying on to do so? Crime increases when there are no consequences for committing it, wouldn't you say?

The psychopath bit...well, neither the rule of law, religion or anything else is going to stop him from killing me and eating my face if he's inclined to. But an otherwise perfectly sane person might decide I have something they want (I don't, I'm poor Laughing ), and therefore that it's worth his while killing me and eating my face (he might not do that bit if he's not a psychopath Smile ) to get it, if there will be no consequences for his actions. Especially if he sees others doing it and getting away with it too.

Anyway, what does face taste like?

Your face tastes of arse Smile Moral standards come from people who (to bring it full circle) are responsible and accountable for their own actions. People who do whatever they can get away with are usually fairly immoral, they're not using their own moral compass, they're seeing how far they can push it before Police Tut Tut, which depending on where you live in the world could be robbing fools or murdering fools.

For example if you stab someone to death in UK right now the chances are you will get caught, and go to prison for a long time. So why are people still stabbing each other over nothing? It's illegal (we all know that), the god they believe in says it's wrong, but it still happens.

Religion far from imposing values seems to absolve individuals of blame and responsibility, which's pretty f'ing scary.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Your face tastes of arse Smile

You'd like that, wouldn't you Laughing

Quote:
Moral standards come from people who (to bring it full circle) are responsible and accountable for their own actions.

Doesn't get to the heart of the matter for me. Want to go into more depth?

Quote:
People who do whatever they can get away with are usually fairly immoral

You don't say, Einstein Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pics.me.me/religion-and-profesional-wrestling-are-alike-1-bothprofitoff-of-false-pretenses-8887433.png
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
https://pics.me.me/religion-and-profesional-wrestling-are-alike-1-bothprofitoff-of-false-pretenses-8887433.png

But the religious ones are in a much better position to blow up a shopping centre than a kid watching wrestling. Both fake though Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

But the religious ones are in a much better position to blow up a shopping centre than a kid watching wrestling. Both fake though Smile

You can take the piss out of wrestling. Do it to religion (Islam version) and it's a hate crime.
Lord Percy This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And before you claim that Islam caused all the pedo rings.

It didn't. Being a a set of uneducated mongs from a backward sandpit non-country is what caused it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Anyway I digress. Islam isn't the problem. Angry people is. Every single 'problem community' the UK (or the west) has ever seen has had a motivation to do what they did, normally a revenge motive. You carry on believing that caliphate bollocks though. How many years have idiots like you been believing that trope? I won't hold my breath for the Muslim sharia law invasion death brigade to happen because I absolutely guarantee it won't.

What exactly have we done to UK born Muslims that make them want to blow themselves up or go all stabby stabby? Iraq 2.0 or Afghanistan are often cited as reasons by apologists and extremists alike (funny that) yet they don't predate the rise of radical Islam.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's blindingly obvious that Iraq and Afghanistan didn't help at all.

It's rather telling that tensions became much worse after those wars started.

It's also rather telling that the 'black immigrants' problem of the 90s and early 2000s faded away into almost nothing as soon as the public's gaze shifted to the Muslim Menace. Nowadays barely anyone talks about black community problems at all, unless they have direct personal evidence. Most people get along quite fine, and there certainly isn't anything about Problem Blacks in the national press.

I know this is more of a rant about the way people are treated in the media, rather than facts or blame-finding, but I think it's important. I highly suspect there would be a lot more social harmony, or at least much less widespread hatred, if Muslims weren't dressed up as a national enemy for the past 15 years. Religion is irrelevant.

Anyway this has totally digressed. My point was that religion as a 'thing' is poitnless, it's a joke cult community that certain people like to play in. The UK has only one set of laws, which everyone must follow. If Islam make-believers end up embroiled in their Islam problems, they know full well that they can walk into their nearest police station or solicitors and complain about it. As far as I'm aware, the UK legal system has never been altered to cater for Sharia tendencies in any way, and so my point is proven, Islam is irrelevant.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It's blindingly obvious that Iraq and Afghanistan didn't help at all.

It's rather telling that tensions became much worse after those wars started.

Tensions became worse after 7/7 in the UK. Was there no Islamic terrorism before those conflicts? Are only countries involved in those conflicts affected by Islamic terrorism?

Lord Percy wrote:
It's also rather telling that the 'black immigrants' problem of the 90s and early 2000s faded away into almost nothing as soon as the public's gaze shifted to the Muslim Menace. Nowadays barely anyone talks about black community problems at all, unless they have direct personal evidence. Most people get along quite fine, and there certainly isn't anything about Problem Blacks in the national press.

Eh? It's in the media virtually everyday, it's just organisations like the BBC go with the victim narrative, otherwise they'd probably ignore the problem.

Lord Percy wrote:
I know this is more of a rant about the way people are treated in the media, rather than facts or blame-finding, but I think it's important. I highly suspect there would be a lot more social harmony, or at least much less widespread hatred, if Muslims weren't dressed up as a national enemy for the past 15 years. Religion is irrelevant.

Anyway this has totally digressed. My point was that religion as a 'thing' is poitnless, it's a joke cult community that certain people like to play in. The UK has only one set of laws, which everyone must follow. If Islam make-believers end up embroiled in their Islam problems, they know full well that they can walk into their nearest police station or solicitors and complain about it. As far as I'm aware, the UK legal system has never been altered to cater for Sharia tendencies in any way, and so my point is proven, Islam is irrelevant.

See my point above about the IRA bombing campaign. It's people like you turning it into something it isn't (Islamophobia/an attack on all Muslims) that are fostering deep divisions Rolling Eyes
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7