Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The Great Fuel debate resolved.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: The Great Fuel debate resolved. Reply with quote

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/supermarket-fuel-actually-worse-branded-fuel/

For me its, Supermarket splosh in the car but Superfuel in the bikes. 😎
(As long as your bike's engine can cope with the full potential of Superfuel of course.)

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd take considerable time and effort for me to fill at a supermarket. None of them sell petrol round here. Okay - there's one Tesco that does - but it's 10 mile away. The issue for me is the pump at the local shop for local people in the village here. It's Rix branded petrol (and there's also a single diesel pump) and I'm paranoid there's a lot of sediment lurking in the ancient tanks. Also it's really dear.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an older Vauxhall diesel car I had, I could actually tell the difference when using supermarket or actual petrol station fuel - the difference was dramatic. So much so that for those extra pennies for petrol station prices I ended up getting more MPG. The engine was livelier and just ran better - it wasn't working as hard to get to places.

To be fair I think supermarket fuel quality has improved these last few years? That or petrol station stuff has decreased in quality..

For my current car (Leon 184) I just use normal fuels. Using those 'better' fuels at pumps doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell. I won't have the car long anyway so being cleaner inside makes no difference to me.

For my 404DS I don't give a shit - I'm just happy I've found a fuel source before I had to push it!

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:26 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually been thinking about this very subject. Was thinking about using premium unleaded but as I only have a 125 I doubt it will make any difference.

My thoughts were purely about looking after the engine better rather than performance.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got much better MPG in an 08 Passat with premium fuel. My X reg fiat van hated it and ran really badly though.

MPG on bike seems to be up when I use premium but not as obvious as it is in the car.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
With an older Vauxhall diesel car I had, I could actually tell the difference when using supermarket or actual petrol station fuel - the difference was dramatic. So much so that for those extra pennies for petrol station prices I ended up getting more MPG. The engine was livelier and just ran better - it wasn't working as hard to get to places.

To be fair I think supermarket fuel quality has improved these last few years? That or petrol station stuff has decreased in quality..

For my current car (Leon 184) I just use normal fuels. Using those 'better' fuels at pumps doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell. I won't have the car long anyway so being cleaner inside makes no difference to me.

For my 404DS I don't give a shit - I'm just happy I've found a fuel source before I had to push it!

Most modern cars seem to have such poor fueling you probably can't tell the difference Smile

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.
is the reason I buy it ... yeah it's a 125 ..but I get 86mpg and I like to use it ...

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never found a problem with any supermarket fuel. I think that "supermarket fuel is inferior" or "to get the best, squirt in a shot of shitex" is a myth.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: The Great Fuel debate resolved. Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
What was the point in posting that clickbait nonsense?

i think it was a wind up

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: The Great Fuel debate resolved. Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
What was the point in posting that clickbait nonsense?
How was it "resolved" as you claimed?

You've not heard of Sarcasm?

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, it's not the fuel itself which is shitty from supermarkets etc it's the tanks they're stored in. There's more shit in them leading to poor fuelling.

Seeing as they all come from the same refineries then I would be inclined to believe this.

Our old diesel Auris hated Tesco fuel, it ran like shit and the EGR would jam up in no time. I'm not an advocate of 'premium' fuels since, in my opinion, it's a load of bollocks but I do only put BP (standard) in our vehicles and have had less trouble than filling up from supermarket pumps over the years.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Supposedly, it's not the fuel itself which is shitty from supermarkets etc it's the tanks they're stored in. There's more shit in them leading to poor fuelling.

this would depend on where you live.. the newness of the storage tanks and the volume of sales ..

not an issue round here ..
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asda's finest shite in both the wife's car (a 17 plate Suzuki) and the bike (01 Hornet)

It be rest, it's a Honda Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, TL; DR: The only difference are the additives which give the fuel better properties, so using the more expensive fuel (not necessary) means higher mileage. At least that's my experience.

However, the extra cost is not worth the money and if you do wish so, you may just add those additives to your fuel tank yourself.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I ended up getting more MPG. The engine was livelier and just ran better - it wasn't working as hard to get to places.

To be fair I think supermarket fuel quality has improved these last few years? That or petrol station stuff has decreased in quality.

Yes, placebo effect, the quality is the same.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's true that "super" is ethanol free then that's where the gain in mpg is. Ethanol has 34% less energy that petrol. The other additives are just marketing IMO. If the fuel was 10:90 that's 3% less energy so not a huge difference in mpg.

In years of using petrol from anywhere I happened to pitch up at, be it motorway services, local Esso, supermarket or village pump I've only once had an issue. There used to be a small car dealership with some old forecourt pumps on the A41 near Aylesbury 'branded' as "Delicious Petrol." The Kawasaki lurched terribly until the tank was empty, presumably due to water in the fuel. It was fine on the next tank full.

When I renovated the Kawasaki a couple of years ago after a long lay-off (I'd been using the R1) I drained the full tank into several jugs, filtered the fuel through a cloth leaving the lower, coffee-coloured later in the last jug, and put the fuel into my car with a full tank of petrol. I was wary but there was no problem with the car at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1