Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Textile jacket recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:48 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Textile jacket recommendations Reply with quote

My old Buffalo touring Jacket has been leaking and, despite my best efforts, it continues to do so. The missus said she will buy me a new one but I'm bewildered by the choice available. I probably want something in the £200 range. Anyone got any pointers?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Richa and Spada Jackets. But the Spada edges it on functional design and holding out the rain for a bit longer.

I have Spada Metro. But if looking now, would try in shop Spada Routemaster and Stelvio to see which is better.

Things I would look out for next time:
1. Avoid ANY jacket that has a shiny inside. During anything approaching summer, unbearably hot & sweaty. Mesh type insides are vastly better.

2. Zipable vents. Brilliant. Summer airflow.

3. Pockets. 2 outside, 2 inside + mobile phone pocket. Minimum.
Having external pockets that both velcro shut and zip is nice.

4. Thermal liner. Ideally has pockets, as does jacket. So liner in/out makes no difference to pocket count.

5. Waste and arm adjustment. Tighten over winter, slacken summer.

6. Back protector. Saves buying if it comes with.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also getting ready for a new textile jacket.

My current Jacket is an Alpinestars andes drystar jacket, it's a very good
jacket, in fact it's my second one but mine is knackered.

Thinking of getting another one but also considering BERING which I know
from experience make great jackets.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on sportsbikeshop (a clothes selling retail outlet, amongst other things) to get an idea of what you like (their 360 viewing tool on most things is helpful) and see if your local shop stocks it; perhaps pop down your local and try in on and then order it from there if its cheaper?

I'd be amazed if you find your perfect jacket in one. I use an RST Pro Series Adventure II most of the year, and wear my other ones when I fancy a change or feel they need some useage to warrant the money I paid for them.

You can get an RST Pro Series Adventure III for £199 from sportsbikeshop but it depends if that's what your after. I'd say that jacket, and or that type, is about the only type I'd spend a lot of money on -- simply because its considered a 4 season in 1 jacket.

Only gripe is that it takes a while to dry because the waterproof layer is separate -- which is great -- and so means the jacket absorbs water, and thus gets heavier (not noticeably, mind); also on the warmer days when it might rain wearing a layer -- and thus trapping more heat inside the jacket -- can be a pain.

You can get great jackets for about £100-150 in the RST line, however, so it depends how much you want to spend; the conditions you ride; what you want for your investment etc.

There are other brands, of course, but I don't have experience with them, and as I say in person is always the best way because the one you really want is the one you wont be able to walk away from.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpinestars Andes 2 is pretty decent from my experience so far and not too expensive.

Had it just over a year, crashed in it, rode in sub zero temps, rode in heavy rain etc.

Thermal liner has pockets for phone and wallet, and the jacket kept me warm with a jumper underneath in sub zero.

It's waterproof, though it does get a little wet on the outside, so needs somewhere to air out a little when drying. I've not had other textile jackets but I assume they are all the same?

Plenty of external pockets, zippable vents for summer, removable thermal liner etc. It has a hook to loop the neck fastener tab when you want to ride with some ventilation in summer.

2 niggles with it.

*It doesn't come with a back protector, so factor in an insert into the purchase price when comparing with other jackets. I went with the alpinestar one to ensure it fitted.

*The neck fastener, when the jacket is worn with a thick neck buff (I have a fleece one for winter), doesn't like to do up, it's like it needs an extra inch of velcro to help it secure reliably. It's fine with normal wind neck buffs.

I am a 40" chest, 5ft 6, usually wear medium everything, the jacket fits true to size.

That may or may not help you. I would buy the same again if I was to go back a year or whatever it was.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Only gripe is that it takes a while to dry because the waterproof layer is separate -- which is great -- and so means the jacket absorbs water, and thus gets heavier (not noticeably, mind);

Common to most textile jackets, and is shit. They take ages to dry, unpleasant to wear while wet and smell. There are several bikes and cyclists at my office, on a wet day, you'll see textiles hanging from every corner of the room and spread across the floor. Yet my waterproof leathers will be on the back of my chair /folded on the shelf. They abosrb nothing.

A jacket with the micro porous lining bonded to the nylon outer avoids this but typically costs more. Goretex is nothing special other tech is equally good.

Spada are excellent and I intend to buy more of their stuff, first brand I would look at.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:37 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to see how Neverleak panties are doing!!!

Drum roll please...

£925 pledged of £105,391 goal
18 backers
Funding Unsuccessful

Well, we didn’t get there.
Posted by Ben O'Brien (Creator)
Thank you so much for your support. From my wife and I, and our two little girls, we genuinely say ‘thank you’ for your support.

I honestly think these pants are better than what’s currently available on the market. They’re a good idea. But perhaps not quite positioned properly to get off the ground on Kickstarter.

I’m going to have a re-think and see if there’s another way to market them. The fact is, they definitely work better than other motorcycle waterproof over-pants, so perhaps there’s a better way to describe them.

Rest assured we’ll be back! And I’ll keep you all informed on our progress.

Thanks again, Ben and family.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an RST Paragon set about a month ago. The jacket's a bit on the bulky side but has enough length to not have water seep in around the waist when it's really wet. Double cuffs are a nice feature but the outer cuff doesn't really open wide enough for getting bulky gloves inside. Has waterproof vent zips, too many pockets, and extras in the lining. Outer is quite substantial feeling, but the thermal liner isn't as good as my blade trousers and Tractech jacket. Not sure how long the set will last, the waterproof lines on my Blade trousers dies after 3 years.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
the waterproof lines on my Blade trousers dies after 3 years.

The RST Adventure Pro Series III textile trousers are £139 on SBS at the moment -- in limited sizes -- due to the new CE rules (ie: selling non CE current stock cheap).

I agree, mind: the RST Blade trousers are the only piece of kit I've ever had leak on me, and boy was it a horrible experience -- enough to make me spend the required funds at the nearest opportunity.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wolf Titanium 3/4 length (so crotch level, not waist) textile jacket which has been excellent. They normally go for nearer £300 I think, but there are some on-line closer to your budget, though sale items tend to be in limited sizes. Still, it's that time of year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my BKS Tiger Tex jacket and its matching trousers since my CBT (nearly 2 years ago) and I'm still happy to stay with it. It's warm yet still breathable, has space for 3rd party back armour and sensible pockets. The only thing I don't like about it is that even when unzipped the sleeves tend to catch all the moisture and smell after any rainfall.

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:48 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little mentioned Arlen Ness. Has inner lining, loads of zip/velcro pockets arm ties, back front and arm ventilation zips. Inner removable padded lining.

Brought it about 3 yrs or so back from JTS. Toured Europe / Scotland in the rain etc. Been brill would buy another if I knew where?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years is doing quite well for my kit, I had IXS Tromso trousers before that. They had a less baggy fit and felt nicer, but I killed the seams on the lining in less than 2 years. I had 3.5 years out of a HG jacket until the zips went but it had started leaking before then. I would have been bitterly dissapointed if I'd had paid full price for it. RST kit seems to have a fairly good price/lifespan ratio.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Goretex is nothing special other tech is equally good.

No other tech just isn't as good. Goretex is rated to a much higher pressure than just about any other breathable membrane used in motorcycle gear.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:40 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input people. I ended up buying a Spada Routemaster, now just need some better weather to give it a try (I don't take the bike out when there is salt on the roads).

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
kramdra wrote:
Goretex is nothing special other tech is equally good.

No other tech just isn't as good. Goretex is rated to a much higher pressure than just about any other breathable membrane used in motorcycle gear.

Irrelevant when other breathable membranes do not leak. Dianese d-dry does not leak and is more than adequately breathable, same with hipora. They are all the same idea, and they all work. Goretex is massively over priced and most have shit design.

My Speedcross 3 GTX were exceptionally good and is the only goretex product I would consider buying again.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:32 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the other breathable membranes which are as good as Goretex?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
What are the other breathable membranes which are as good as Goretex?

eVent, NeoShell, Pertex Shield+, Porelle Dry, OutDry Extreme...
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1