Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My tank paint jobs starting to blister :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:24 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: My tank paint jobs starting to blister :( Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/PeO4Dch.jpg

Right so as you know when i got the bike over a year ago now the tank wasnt at the best state... It was crazy paving all the way... So i had to strip the tank and repainted it... Apart from some dripping lacquer on the kawasaki decal it actually went pretty well and to plan...

Untill now.

Why has this happened?

So yes some nights i leave the bike out here... It has been in frost.... this has been because I sometimes leave the house at 6:30 in the morning to get to town, so I didnt want to go through all the faff of going out to the shed (bit of a walk in the dark) set up a plank of wood as a ramp and then push the bike up it... Normally during the day its not a big issue but at freezing cold night its a pain in the arse....

So i figure, cars bikes and paint is designed to be outside... So I leave it outside some nights.

I was lazy this xmas I admit I should have put it away... but I didnt so its been out for a few days. And I just checked on the bike and found the blistering... Whats really perplexing is the weather. Apart from being misty hasnt been that bad. Its been a relatively warm Christmas here.

So whats caused this? Is it rust? (i suspect so because some of the line patterns suggest some kind of rust formed in a sanding line)

And if rust, how has moisture got through lacquer and paint? (I admit this is rattle can stuff)

Or also very likely... Did i do something wrong pre painting, should I have applied some kind of extra treatment?

I did do acid washes before to remove the few specs of rust that were on the tank when i stripped it, was there another treatment I should have done to seal it?

Well i cant repaint it as its too cold a time of year... And come spring I might be getting a new bike.

I might end up keeping the er6f to turn into a project bike but I dont know yet...

It was under a tree, could tree sap cause this?

Let me know your thoughts...

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a problem from when you painted it. My best guess is that you didn't let it dry enough before putting the next coat on, but I'm not a painter, so I'm probably wrong.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you spilt petrol on it? Rattle can stuff is not as resistant as 2 pack or decent cellulose.
I've used rattle can lacquer before and had it craze, yellow and flake off after a few years.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:44 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Have you spilt petrol on it? Rattle can stuff is not as resistant as 2 pack or decent cellulose.
I've used rattle can lacquer before and had it craze, yellow and flake off after a few years.

Deffo not spilt any been extra careful about that... I did use petrol resistant lacquer....

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I did use petrol resistant lacquer....

Despite advertising, there's no such thing, at least not one that works in the long-term.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:19 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still not convinced its petrol damage... the trouble looks like its under the paint... Some of the blisters form a line and such...

Anyway if im going to be repainting it I can do it properly now. We have the right guns for it.
Just has to wait for warmer times

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct in thinking you stripped it all back to metal and then used an acid wash?

If so what steps did you take between acid wash and colour coat?

That doesn't look like lacquer breach issue, damp would make it bloom (cloudy) and fuel blistering would make itself evident by, usually, starting at the filler neck and spreading continuously rather than in spit spots all over.

My guess would be that tank was wiped with a rag that might have had some damp in it prior to colour coat or you sprayed it in a high humidity environment.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:01 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a cheap bike, I'd not worry too much.

Don't know what year it is but a clean non dented tank for 09-11 is 60 quid on eBay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got damp in the paint and/or lacquer or not allowed long enough to flash off between coats, if you redo it, do it in heat of summer if you don't have any kind of heat source and preferably use a 2k base coat and lacquer, it will last longer.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be wary of spraying 2k at home in your garage, unless you've got no neighbours and a airfed mask. Its pretty nasty stuff.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/2k-safety-leason-learnt.14051/

In b4. I've alway spray 2 pac naked without mask and I've not died yet

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:15 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Am I correct in thinking you stripped it all back to metal and then used an acid wash?

That doesn't look like lacquer breach issue, damp would make it bloom (cloudy) and fuel blistering would make itself evident by, usually, starting at the filler neck and spreading continuously rather than in spit spots all over.

My guess would be that tank was wiped with a rag that might have had some damp in it prior to colour coat or you sprayed it in a high humidity environment.

Think i rinsed it off with baking soda and water... then towled it dry, it might have been a few hours before paint went on... this was last spring,maybe april so not hot summer but not totally cold and wet

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Think i rinsed it off with baking soda and water... then towled it dry, it might have been a few hours before paint went on... this was last spring,maybe april so not hot summer but not totally cold and wet

You'll be needing to flat the whole lot back to the primer coat, then get the heat turned up in your spray area, or wait for a good warm day before trying again.

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:24 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

water damp under the paint ..froze expanded lifted paint ..
clean it back to base..no .send it off to get done right

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

Did you prime it?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t spray 2k at home, it can ruin your health instantly. Just buy a better tank or ignore the problem as it’s an ER6 and no one cares.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:28 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I care... And yes primed it

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:46 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

flearider wrote:
water damp under the paint ..froze expanded lifted paint ..
clean it back to base..no .send it off to get done right

Yep, that’s the cause, but would add it’s moisture in the metal , then it’s rust forming causing the blistering.
Before you spray something, let’s take a small bit of metal for instance.
If you heat it up briefly , no not red hot, just warmed you will be staggered as to how much water comes out of the metal. Try it.
If and when you redo the tank, put it somewhere warm ie the airing cupboard and get the tank warmed up.
Good luck.
Bikeless This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikeless wrote:
You're talking out your behind, do you spray much using 2k paint and clearcoats?

Do you? If yes then read the HSE stuff on isocyanates, it may just save your life or health.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:08 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a special booth, but i have a shed Smile and a painting gas mask with proper filters and decent seal around the face

flearider
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:40 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I dont have a special booth, but i have a shed Smile and a painting gas mask with proper filters and decent seal around the face

great for you just not the paint ...
it should be sand blasted back to plastic or metal primed in a warm (20c) room .. then should be cleaned with iso then sprayed and baked .. after which it should last 10 yrs or so ..

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

flearider wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

great for you just not the paint ...
it should be sand blasted back to plastic or metal primed in a warm (20c) room .. then should be cleaned with iso then sprayed and baked .. after which it should last 10 yrs or so ..

Really?? He just needs to sand the reaction out then re-prime.
How many coats of primer did you use? & was the original primer a high build?

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:48 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,did you spray it when there high humidity in the air? I.e cold,damp outside but warm where you sprayed it?If so,when you open the door of your shed,area where you did it,cold air can come in and cause a very slight fogging issue in the air,condensation. You may not see it,but it can happen,causing minuscule droplets. This may have happen, but I can't say for certain. What's the inside of the tank like,also?

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 08:25 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some incompatibility caused by the acid wash,especially if filler or polyester filler/primer was used...

Those lines indicate something probably contaminated the wet/dry you used.

If it were mine, it would be going back to bare metal & starting over with epoxy primer.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 08:30 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

No telling what the towel had been washed with, then it got damp when you wiped it all over the tank. (that might explain the lines)

It appears you didn't use any solvent/grease remover to wipe it down before spraying?

You mention you have access to proper spray gear.. does that also infer you have access to proper prep gear too?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 98 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2