Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sitting bike - battery life

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:53 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Sitting bike - battery life Reply with quote

Hi guys

In general how long would a motorbike battery last just sitting over winter? I have an 02 cbr f4i and has been garaged for 2 weeks now with a s4 datatool alarm active. I have another 2 weeks off work before i will ride again, is a whole month likely to drain it? Should i take it for a ride to charge it - how long would i need to ride for

Cheers

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had bikes go 'flat' after a long weekend, others sit for weeks no problem. Depends on the battery and then any drains on it. With an alarm fitted? Be flat in no time.

Invest in a trickle charger. Taking it out for a spin won't charge a flat battery.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's items like clock, alarm immobiliser there will be a slow drain and it would be wise to charge at very least once a month, or have a suitable trickle charger on it continuously for maximum life.
A bike without any of the above might go two months but you are still taking a chance.

If not allowed to discharge you can get 5 years and more from it, if you let it go down to where it barely turns the engine a couple of times, you can be buying another almost annually - in short a trickle charger makes a lot of sense unless it's impossible to use where your bike must be kept.
- In which case I'd take the battery off and keep it inside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:31 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Cheers guys i ride year round but this year have been given a generous holiday this Christmas so off almost a month (i use my bike for commuting) - i wont be able to remove the battery as wont it set off the alarm/immobiliser? Is there a battery trickle charger which you can use without mains? Probably a dumb question but a charger which you charge indoors then can connect to battery. My garage has no power. Other option is to take it for a 30min to 1 hour ride to recharge the battery. I doubt it will be dead after 2 weeks without use so shouldnt take a long ride to recharge?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Other option is to take it for a 30min to 1 hour ride to recharge the battery. I doubt it will be dead after 2 weeks without use so shouldnt take a long ride to recharge?

It'll obviously help but in my experience a one off ride of that length won't be the same as say a weeks worth of commuting. For example if it's a bit weak after 2 weeks, don't expect to get another 2 weeks out of it after a single ride.

It also depends on the bike, the Street Triple seems to be really fussy about having a healthy battery, my other bikes would turn over with virtually no juice left. If it goes flat you can always experience the fun of bump starting it Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get small solar powered chargers which are just about OK in summer, crap in winter.

Just remove your battery. The bike won't go anywhere without it. Laughing If you want an alarm, buy an alarmed disc lock.

If your battery goes flat, you pretty well half it's life straight away. I've killed £500 worth of leisure batteries in a season on one of my boats letting them go flat and thats the sort that are built to take large levels of discharge.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

put your alarm into deep sleep mode or even better remove it and throw it in the bin.

alarms have given me nothing but hassle in the past

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:36 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

Tbh ive never had an issue with any datatool alarm and they seem to do what they need to do to be honest, just worried as ive never left my bike for this long before (longest i left the bike is a week with no issue).

I just read the manual and if i put in winter mode i can remove bike battery if it does go dead or i can bump start i guess (no hills near me though)

Might go out for a ride tonight and then put into winter mode

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregarding parasitic drain from ECU's alarms etc. these are the self discharge rates by battery chemistry.

Battery system Estimated self-discharge
Alkaline 2–3% per year (7-10 years shelf life)
Lead-acid 5% per month
Nickel-based 10–15% in 24h, then 10-15% per month
Lithium-ion 5% in 24h, then 1–2% per month (plus 3% for safety circuit)

Presuming you have lead-acid then 5% per month is minimum rate with it plugged in to the bike. The alarm will draw something so I understand why trickle chargers are a thing, but I've never needed one.

I've got a LiFePO4 battery in for a couple of years now, which can stand around for ages with no bother as I've no alarm, but I still take the bike out every other week at the moment as they don't recover well if they do go flat and I'm using the car a lot lately.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a month sitting, I would definitely get a trickle charger.

If the charger is only going to be used for bike batteries, get a ctek XS 0.8.

If you ever think you'll use it for car batteries too, get the MXS 5.0.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just removed and charged my motobatt gel battery after months of inactivity.
Surprised how quickly it charged but then the bike had been in winter mode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have power a trickle charger with permanently attached tender wires is a no brainer, even a couple of weeks without use can start the decline.

Lead Acid likes to be practically fully charged at all times.
Bike batteries have to be small and are soon tipped over the edge.
They are also disproportionally expensive for many models.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BIG ZOOK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:51 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: battery life Reply with quote

I must hold the record for best oem battery.The battery on my gsxr is still going strong and it`s 16yrs old.However I have had new batteries fail in under 1 yr on other bikes.
Very Happy

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries come out of both of the bikes when the weather starts getting cold. They live a the side of the house, underneath a separate cover each and a tarpaulin over the top of both, so there's no way of keeping them on charge.

If I had a garage, both of them would be on an optimate, but I don't have that luxury unfortunately.

I learned the lesson, about leaving unused batteries in the cold, the hard way. I left the battery in my cbf1000 over winter. Halfway through the winter I took it out and it measured a shade over 10 volts on a multimeter.

I managed to revive it using a ctek charger, I thought it was toast, but the charger saved it, thankfully.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1