Find me a 50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Find me a 50 Reply with quote

Hiya,

My nephew turns 16 soon and he would like any 50cc bike/scooter that moves. I am going to get him it for his 16th birthday, lucky little twat, I never even got a Raleigh Grifter when I was that age.

I need some help in identifying such a bike/scooter as I know nothing sure about them. Can you guys do a search for one in South Scotland and very North of England to identify a suitable piece of engineering masterpiece?

Thanks very much.

Last edited by struan80 on 21:25 - 28 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget? Are we talking new?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really as cheap as possible secondhand that has a years mot or close to.

Last edited by struan80 on 17:34 - 29 Dec 2018; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: Find me a 50 Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
My nephew turns 16 soon and he would like any 50cc bike/scooter that moves. ... Can you guys do a search for one in South Scotland and very North of England to identify a suitable piece of engineering masterpiece?

Your choice seems rather limited. A better "radius of X from town Y" might help.

If you don't care about going to Stockton you could look at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexmoto-WY-50-QT-111-FM-50cc-scooter/382670392582?hash=item5918eecd06:i:382670392582

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gumtree.com/p/gilera-motorbikes/gilera-dna-50cc-motorbike-/1322543673

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

- nice original plastics Whistle
- its done 17,000 miles
- on this set of clocks
- its had numerous MOT fails/advisories

However from the pics it does look relatively tidy Thinking

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/gilera-motorbikes/gilera-dna-50cc-motorbike-/1322543673

Wow, compare the MOT info https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ with the advert "1,700 miles Previous Keepers 11". Could be OK, but looks odd. MOT due Jan 20th.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Wow, compare the MOT info https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ with the advert "1,700 miles Previous Keepers 11". Could be OK, but looks odd. MOT due Jan 20th.

They missed a zero on the mileage, but it also shows it having 9 miles back in 2008 or whenever so that suggests a clock change. I'd guess 30k+, my 125 had 10 previous owners, that was a younger bike and years ago now Embarassed

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
They missed a zero on the mileage

Let's hope they've made a mistake with the price, too. £1,250. Wince.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's 'appreciating classic' money Smile I think they're the coolest 50/twist and go out there but it depends how much poon-tang the OP wants his nephew to get.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zontis-Tiger-50cc/401667988896?hash=item5d85471da0:g:8H4AAOSwV3dcHlsQ:rk:28:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexmoto-WY-50-QT-111-FM-50cc-scooter/382670392582?hash=item5918eecd06:i:382670392582

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vespa-ET2-50cc-2001-17k-Miles-reliable-learner-auto-serviced-with-a-new-mot/153292932684?hash=item23b0f8864c:g:qSkAAOSwiOxcCVDO

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-Vivacity-3-50cc-sport-line-moped-only-5000-miles/183599159320?hash=item2abf5cd818:g:9S4AAOSwb15cHiHk:rk:27:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-V-CLIC-50CC-4-STROKE-SCOOTER-2012-VGC-12-MONTHS-MOT/202540534836?hash=item2f285b4c34:g:d1sAAOSwKM1cCpiC:rk:42:pf:0

Bit far though perhaps? Also, personally speaking, I'd be wary of a 2nd hand 50, or 125 for that matter

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:17 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before splurging cash on a 50, that is barely as quick as a half-fit kid on a push bike, check out the likely price of insurance on, well, any thing!... Then compare how much it would cost to ticket up a 50, 'now' compared to a 125 in a years time.

If the funds is tight to get him a worthy 50, for the cost of getting one to road, it is likely a lot more prudent to give him a year and chuck budget at a 125.... and or put your attentions into helping him get CBT, and if you want to get along with your inlaws, getting him through A1 tests ASAP after, rather than leaving him to wally about on L's for however long to never.

I got No1 unson a C50 for his 16th... almost decade & half ago, even then it cost as more to insure it as to buy it..... pricing up for daughter when she was coming up 16, less than half a decade back, it was just Stoooopid... they wanted as much to insure a T&G 50 for her as they did for Snowie and me to insure three bikes and a car between us! It was something like £1000 pa... plus charges if you took 'the monthly plan'!!!

If you gave him a 50 he couldn't afford to buy himself, you MIGHT not be favourite uncle very long, when he goes to try get it legal to ride... or dont bother, and plod bring him home to ma&pa, and you is in the chit-house for encouraging him!!!

I'd keep cash in the bank, and if I did anything, help him tog up for and do his CBT, and see if he actually takes to two wheels..... and if fired with enough enthusiasm he'll do most of it for himself, if not you'd be wasting your time and money anyway.

If he's enthusiastic enough... some help and guidance may be useful, but... I'd let HIM do the leg work, and go find the bikes HE thinks are worth buying.... and merely offer the 'lift' to go look, and the second eye to look it over, and hopefully keep enthusiasm in check before he blow his wad on the first thing that make strimmer noises.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I agree with Tef, in that it would be good to get your nephew to see, sit on, and if possible try, a scooter and/or a geared bike, to see what he may prefer.. I don't agree, obviously, that he should wait another year, if the want, willingness/need is already there.

Did the same for my nephew, got him through his cbt, and, sourced him a Direct Bikes 50cc scooter, still has it 18 months down the line, even though, he could move to a 125, uses it practically everyday for college, going to his mates, McD's KFC etc, he's even been on the last 2 Xmas Birmingham toy runs with it..

My daughter tried the scooter, and decided she wanted to have gears from the offset, hence the Mash 50 Roadstar for her. Both of them love their respective scooter/bike's, nephew has decided he want to finance to theory, mod1 & mod2 before upgrading to a 125, which to be fair, he does need to pull his finger out and get a shift on, but it's up to him. My daughter on the other hand, has already chose what 125 she wants !! Kids eh? Laughing Laughing

Oh, nephew is on his 2nd year of insurance, having gained 1 years ncb, it's good to start gaining your ncb as early as possible.. Perhaps, Tef should have shopped around for insurance, we paid £400 for my daughter, and, I think the nephew paid less than that from the start...

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:14 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my girls s pair of 80s Honda sh 50's. Dirt cheap, Honda reliability, big wheels. Just as quick as modern stuff. One daughter phoned us when she managed to get a 30 mph speed sigh to flash as she was doing almost 33!
And importantly they where £380 to insure.
However it must be said that first girl paid £380. Second girl got quote, left it a while, and as it got nearer the time did a requote which was far more expensive. Kept on checking on a weekly basis and suddenly after about 6 weeks it went back to £380. First girl started riding in February, second started in December. Don't know if this would effect insurance

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
And importantly they where £380 to insure.

Not bad at all, I paid about the same for a 125 when I was a fair bit older Embarassed

With the posts you get on here about extortionate (bike) insurance premiums* for young people I would have thought you'd be paying more.

One thing to watch out for with cheap chinese bikes is insurers not having a clue what the f**k they are. A guy I worked with was paying £700 to insure some tragic chinese scoot', he then got a Pulse Adrenaline which cost ~£300 to insure.

*Bennetts did once quote me £1700 for an NSR125 Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old shit from me, but does OP's nephew have any urgent transportation issues that requires a need for a bike that he can't wait a year until age 17 for?

Getting a kid a 50cc just because they talk about bikes, have done some happy pillion trips, and because you want to buy them a cool present from fave uncle isn't really enough of a reason IMO to make a 50cc purchase vital or life changing.

I also agree with TM that if you buy something that they can't then afford to insure, run or maintain then you could easily be seen as the bad guy for giving them something that'll be no real use to them, or that will get them into trouble if they attempt to ride it illegally. Its almost expected by kids today that if you provide something for them, then you have to also provide the means to use and enjoy it. For example a shiny new motocross or trials bike is of fuck all use to a teenager living in an inner city with no access to places to ride or parental transport to get there. In such cases a new PS4 and the latest games might often be a far better gift and much more appreciated and enjoyed etc.

If the 16yr old maybe has a job, or goes to college in a place or a route that's poorly served by public transport then sure a 50cc vehicle might be a huge help, and massively appreciated or even allowing said 16yr to double earning potential or have an active social life etc etc.

Otherwise a bus or rail season ticket might be a far better gift if their transport needs are well served by it.

The 125 at age 17 thing is so much more versatile for someone that:

1, needs a transport solution for A-B and learning or earning.

2, Has some interest in riding a bike or saving money for more important stuff that generation is going to struggle to afford.

3, Has realised that the realistic affording of learning to drive and running a car at least for a couple of years is going to be very hard, and expensive and unless they get ££££'s in financial support from family will be just about impossible for several years.

Final point is that 15bhp motorbike is a useful machine and can do anything really in transport terms, so a good one could be seen as a long term ownership plan even if in a few years cash and a car licence become attainable. Its old fashioned thinking, but keeping your old 125 bike as a back up transport tool, sunny weather commuter in busy traffic, or as a way to limit the running costs of owning a car are all valid points IMO.

Oh yeah and who ever says " fuck me the worst mistake I ever made in life was keeping my first motorbike for years after id learned to drive" Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll probably disagree on this Stevo Wink but IMO mopeds are only semi-lethal in cities which normally have ok public transport. If you live in an area with no decent public transport it'll likely be rural, and a restricted moped on NSL roads would be truly terrifying.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Same old shit from me, but does OP's nephew have any urgent transportation issues that requires a need for a bike that he can't wait a year until age 17 for?

To quite my nephews mum,
Quote:
it's the best thing that has ever happened to him
, he has grown up alot, gained alot of independence and self confidence, yes, I feel, it would be better if it was quicker, but, as I said, it was quick enough for him to do the Birmingham toy run from Halesowen to Birmingham Childrens hospital for the last 2 years, has ridden from Wolves to Bridgnorth and other places, so, from our experience, others may be different of course, there are far more positives to having a 50 at 16, than not.

Oh, and 1 more thing, his mum is not a rider, and has no intention of becoming 1.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man talks sense! Thumbs Up

But being a wanker, what if your say 5-6mile trip to work/college etc is on NSL roads, but the route there is almost entirely on single track county lanes that are quiet because most people will use longer main road/dual carriageway routes, instead of risking getting stuck behind farmer Freds muckspreader at 20mph for 5miles? Wink

I'd ride an unrestricted 50cc in the town I live in which has plenty of 40mph ring roads, or down the quiet lanes but yeah busy stop start traffic, lots of changeable speed limits, and roads 40,50mph+ then fuck that I'm out.

You'd be surprised, but if nearly all my daily commute was 60-70mph roads, and in rush hour well I wouldn't really want a 125 either, but I accept they can get you places.

I've had rides in hilly roads in Wales with luggage on a 60bhp 500 and found I'm sometimes needing 100% of performance a bit too often even, but far less so than on a 125.

I could have used more torque if not bhp when riding 620miles to France in a day, and for travelling down that big long country in total comfort then 150bhp and a big comfy fairing and screen sounds like a nice way to travel to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The man talks sense! Thumbs Up

You'd be surprised, but if nearly all my daily commute was 60-70mph roads, and in rush hour well I wouldn't really want a 125 either, but I accept they can get you places.

I've had rides in hilly roads in Wales with luggage on a 60bhp 500 and found I'm sometimes needing 100% of performance a bit too often even, but far less so than on a 125.

I could have used more torque if not bhp when riding 620miles to France in a day, and for travelling down that big long country in total comfort then 150bhp and a big comfy fairing and screen sounds like a nice way to travel to me.

I agree, but, then, who in their right mind would use a 50 where a daily commute would be 60-70, likewise, 620 miles on a 50 is an awfully long way Wink Not impossibe, most commutes for a 50 will most likely only be at most 5-10 miles each way, with occasional further jaunts, and to be honest, at those ranges, something a Super Soco may well be ideally suited, very cheap to run, still need a license & insuranec, so, still build up their ncb..

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input guys. The sensible decision is to wait until he's seventeen, but I don't really do sensible.

This is only 10 miles away from me and it's not chinese. I'm waiting on getting an email about what's wrong with the brakes.
https://www.gumtree.com/p/yamaha-motorbikes/2013-yamaha-aerox-50cc/1324464527

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Thanks for all your input guys. The sensible decision is to wait until he's seventeen, but I don't really do sensible.

This is only 10 miles away from me and it's not chinese. I'm waiting on getting an email about what's wrong with the brakes.

(Obviously) from the pics it looks like its been dropped/pranged, and one advisory from the last MOT: Rear shock absorber damping effect marginal. On a scoot' I'd assume rear pads.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thousands of people pedal to work every day, anything that can be done on a push bike can be done easier on a moped.
Cant understand all the comments about waiting till he's 17, as soon as he hits 17 he'll want a car. Anyone thats spend a year on a moped will be a far better car driver than the ones that jump straight into a car at 17, if everyone had to ride a moped for a year before taking their car test the roads would be a lot safer for all of us.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:24 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just trying to think back.... its a big 'back' BUT I didn't have to convert prices form pounds, shillings and pence, before any-one casts nastersions.....

I THINK that my first insurance policy on a moped, cost me a WOPPING £25... which, when pondering the daft prices kids get quoted stooopid these days, seems rather good.... until I think, "Yeah! But I only paid a fiver for the frigging BIKE!!!"

Which is a bit more skew... I got in in some argy-bargy play-ground swapsies, and the fiver, I think was pretty notional.... thing was an utter wreck, and I thunked it 'might' make bit of a project to do up for my 16th..... then Grandad got a bit enthusiastic about the thing....

You know, I was about 26, a decade on, when my Grandad had a senior moment, and hopping mad.... he had just stubbed his toe... on a Moped Motor!!!! Blamed me, and demanded WHAT I was going to do with this effin-scrap, and When....

It one of the few times I actually recall him admitting being in the wrong, because I reminded him, HE had put the effin-moped-motor he'd stubbed his toe on, next to the freezer.... because.... when it was totalled by a twit in a Triumph, and subsequently written off by the insurance co.... HE had made mutterings about the gear-box, which he reckoned would work well on his lathe.....

THIS little revalation, DID make me reconsider an awful lot of his motives when I was trying to get the thing road worthy when I was 15/16/17.... yers... it took a LITTLE longer than planned! A completely crappered motor and a snapped frame, an exhaust made of old central heating plumbing, did NOT help much before the Trumpet hit me! However.....

Pops, had found me in the kitchen one week-end, pondering wiring diagrams and a zenner diode, with a Sammy-Miller enduro lighting kit..... and was NOT impressed by my wire twist connections..... which was when he got all enthusiastic.... and dug out an old cotton bound book called "Tuning The two-Stroke Engine for Speed" full of pictures of Villiers lawn-mower motors.... and got me filing down warped Hilman-Imp cylinder heads, so he could mix the aluminium filings with araldite and fill my crank-cases with the gloop, to raise the primary compression.....

With the benefit of HINDSIGHT, I 'think' I may have been being sabotaged! Actually I was pretty suspicious at the time, if I recall! Ruddy thing kept popping crank-case seals!!! Yers... well, it DID sort of prove that Pops HAD got the primary compression up, as intended!!!

But, I think It would have been a bit blatent, had he not helped 'fix' the problem (he made!!!) showing me the fan-belt driven lathe, he thought the gearbox might be good for.... turning down a couple of large washers to screw down over the crank-seal and hold them in place..... "See I have to keep turning it off, and moving the belts when I go from cutting the inner diameter to the outer.... THIS is why a gearbox, I could do it just by shifting a lever, on the run, would be good...." Lol!

I think, by the time the thing made it to the road, I had stopped counting the cost when they exceeded £250... probably when yet another set of crank-case seals was ordered! Lol! But still....

I Seem to recall, that a brand new DT50MX was something like £599, at the time... a Thomas, pedal and pop, in woolies, £199, OTR! A £25 insurance premium WAS not exactly 'peanuts'.... B-U-T it was still sort of 1/10th the price of a bike... ANY bike (that could pass an MOT!).... not like these days, when the premium is likely to be 'undreds, if not more, and on a cheap-heap chink with a freyed variator belt, many, many times what the bike's worth....

M.C wrote:
(Obviously) from the pics it looks like its been dropped/pranged, and one advisory from the last MOT: Rear shock absorbed damping effect marginal. On a scoot' I'd assume rear pads.

THAT actually begs a bit of enquirey.... Does it actuyally NEED damping in the suspension?

The MOT regs for a moped, 'used' to be quite a lot different than for a motorbike.... things like the tyres, on a Moped, only had to have 'Visible' tread, which is something of a bone of with traffic coppas, who presume to try apply the 'car' 1.5mm(?) mimumum tread depth to a motorcycle, that only needs 1mm, in the central portion, and merely visible across the rest, if I recall.

Helped Unc, who had a perversion for 'classic' mopeds for a time, with a few, and the caveots of the MOT regs gave local MOT man field-day, come nervouse break-down!

The Velosolex; (genuine French example, which was apparently something worth applauding, it wasn't a later Czechoslovakian refugee...) had absolutely NO suspension..... you want a scary motorcycle! Keep your nitreose oxide tripple charged Hyabusa's with six foot over-length swing arm.... try riding a 40cc Velosolex down your drive!!!!! THAT is scary!!...

Fun... briefly... but scary!

WHO the heck had the idea of sticking the engine on the front forks?!?! I think fella must have looked at the bumble-bee mechanics of a Vespa, and sad, with gallic accent, "Non, Non, NON! Weez can make a Mucho-becoup job of, 'ow yooz aay, ReDiK-luss, dan dat!" and stuck all the weight the wrong end, the other ways about!!! MAD!

Moto-Guzzi trotter, had a pressed steel frame with rigid rear ISTR, and I suppose both of them may get around the regs on the 'if its there, has to work' rule. But many of them old mopeds, and even larger displacement old bikes, even if they had springs, didn't have much by way of discernible damping... certainly not hydraulic, and made do with little more than the friction in the swing-arm pivot!!!

There may be an debate to be had there, reading the various regs, whether it 'needs' damping effect, and whose ideas of what might be more or less than 'marginal' should count!!!

Whether its a good idea... is probably another matter..... see comments on the Velosolex!!! But still.

If it's going to be done, then its going to be done.... and to my mind the only 'real' issue with mopeds is the fact that they have to have a chuffin number-plate.... and are thence subject to the same road laws as other vehicles, so folk have this idea that they aught to do what other motorvehicles, particularly the ones they are most familiar with, AKA 'cars' do.... and go 100+mph etc.

IF they are perceived as what they are.... a motorised push bike, that cant even go as fast as some of them can, without an engine....

A) the expectations are a lot more realistic, and they can be a heck of a lot 'safer'.... I mean, if you wouldn't presume to take a push-bike down the by-pass and deal with audi-cochs up your chuff trying to do 80+ everywhere.... then WHY try taking a moped there?!? I didn't over 30 years ago, sticking to the country lanes, and only having the odd Dentist in an Ovlov ot Farmer Giles' takker, parked on a blind bend to deal with.. and in thems days didn't have the 'refuge' a push-bike does of being able to use the pscycopath....

B) it DOES make the comparison a tad more biased towards the push-bike, and holding fire a year until eligible for a car or 'propper' motorbike licence....... As hintimated, a moped, by law is slower than a fit kid on a push-bike....

Slight aside, but, could be said that many 125's aren't as fast as a probably rather fit-kid, on a push bike!... in my uni days, I was asked to 'pace' one of the cycle-pscyco's, and yup.... having a chuffing PUSH bike make a 'break' from your slip-stream and OVER TAKE you!!!!.... on the flat..... when you are doing the NSL on a country road, DOES sort of make you question their insanity, some.... especially when all they have is a bit of lycra and a bulge for protection!!! NOT leathers!

Used to get the weekly results sheet from local Time-Trial cycling club, when my lads competed in the school-boy class.... they didn't have a lot of competition, one has to admit.... but they would drop a 10mile road course in around 25minutes, oft nearing 20, something close to a 30mph 'average'... one of them not even on a racer, but a mountain bike with street-slicks!!! Meanwhile the meatheads... sorry... the 'keen cycle enthusiasts' would be chasing the 10 minute barrier to show a 60mph average, and waving cat-eyes around the pub-car-park, showing how close, or even over, the 70mph UK speed limit they had got on the course!!

Not the sort of speeds typical kid achieves on a push-bike, very often.... b-u-t... if anything a moped DOES slow many down!

A-N-D get them off the chuffing pavement.... at least when the engine's running, and the smell of chips isn't beckoning! And that number plate does mean plod, if they care, know where to go moan!!!

Which begs another slightly skew conundrum.... round here, local plod have had a couple of 'initiatives' to clamp down on illegal mopeds on the park.... and it seems that thier main intent is simply to take the peds off the kids and argue about it after.....

The 28mph 'design speed' in the moped regs, appears most contentious.... its a design speed, not what a bike might actually achieve, in the real world under a radar gun.. let alone, without wind resistance on a set of rollers, that ISN'T as so often suggested a 'Dyno'....

Matter of interpretation of the MOT regs and particularly that tyre tread depth them comes into play, and so it goes.....

And I wonder just how many mopeds are crushed because Ma+Pa just shrug and say "Well, we DID warn you! You must have been being an idiot, somehow!" or not, when desk sarge, just says "OK, show me the V5 and a valid insurance cert and you can go get it round back" not really all that keen to argue the toss with Mums net expert, when kid has had wind taken out their sails for a week.... and WPC hasn't moaned when sent on the chippy run.....

For 16 year old.... its all grist to the mill, and there's a lot of learning 'potentially' to be had there...... whether it's USEFUL learning, is another matter.....

Push-bike, dont need petrol; dont need tax, or MOT, or CBT, and dont have to displayt a reg-no.... as well as being able to potentially go faster, and play cameloen jumping on and off the foot-path... Which all makes a moped a rather good way to spend an awful lot of money, to make life a dang site harder, for no real benefit in speed or safety!!!

And the school-bus tends to be a lot warmer..... and contain 16 year old GIRLS, with imbalanced hormones.... one does wonder if them hormones are EVER balanced.... but hey... its all 'experience'!!!! (Just when you 'think', Oh-Kay, not that you have it sussed, but are at least used to it.... they go to the quacks and get HRT, and it starts all over.... but that's for another life-time, maybe! Lol!)

On the big balance sheet.... mopeds REALLY do not come out particularly well against the alternatives... but if you accept them down sides.... why not; just don't ignore them..... like the imbalanced hormone sufferer, they likely come back to bite you in the bum, if you try!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

The cost of fixing the brake is not likely to be great. I'd go and have a look, straight away. There are plenty of plastic parts available for these things, and fixing of existing is possible. Chap says "offers", so there's some scope there and you might get the lock (etc.) too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 110 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2