Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

37, 6’3”, 16st...KTM Duke 125?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

williamstom
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:43 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: 37, 6’3”, 16st...KTM Duke 125? Reply with quote

Evening all. Having got my CBT around 9 months ago, I thought I’d best get a 125 to commute as I have noticed my fuel costs soaring since changing jobs. I use mainly A roads so ‘L’ plates no problem.

I’ve been looking at Varadero’s and Terra’s purely for the size of the bike. Ultimately I’d rather not look like a clown at the circus on one of those little pedal bikes. That being said, I’m not finding anything worthwhile and good condition for the age for less than £1500.

By chance, I see my (not so) local bike shop have new 125 Duke’s for £2,800. This appeals to me, as I can see they hold their value well for resale, and the idea of 2 year trouble free motoring appeals.

So just wondering if there are any other larger-framed bikers who have opted for the Duke, and if so, what your thoughts are on practicality? My commute is around 15 miles each way.

Thanks,
Tom

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 30 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duke 125s aren't particularly big and have a myriad of reliability problems (they're made in India). I do like the Terra, they do occasionally come up cheap as they're a bit of an unknown/fairly rare. Varadero's are sought after so hold their value.

Try and find a fellow 125 noob who's riding through their first winter and are ready to throw in the towel Smile

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:41 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some rather bizzare illogic and anti0mnaths being applied here.... I'm not entirely sure how spending thousands on a posey 125, you are allowed to ride on L-Plates, when you could buy another 125, you could likewise ride on L-plates, makes sense an an ecconomy measure.

You are bothered about what you look like?

Its a motorbike mate, not a chuffin cat walk.... number one excuse for being knocked off ANY bike is "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You" so WHO the heck do you think is even looking, at you, let alone concerned with how stylish you might look....

Two thoughts for you here.... One: IF they bother to look AND have some opinion on what you look like.... odds is that that thought will be "Bludy Idiot!" Cos sensible people drive cars! On a bike, in the cold and the wet, you look like a rather uncomfortable drowned rat. Two... IF, they bother too look, and they have some opinion, and have any idea of what they are looking at.... the fugging big red 'L' hanging off the back and front of the bike, will definitely tell them you are a bit of an idiot, who cant pass a driving test. It sort of spoils the aesthetic a bit that does.

SO..... if you want to save money..... there's a lot cheaper bikes about.... especially if they are over 125cc you need a full licence for.

NOT having to display an L-Plate will do more to improve the pose value of anything you choose to ride, and MIGHT just might, mean that of the few folk that bother to look, who might have an opinion worth considering, it isn't "Bloody Learner!"

Interesting fact for you...... 125's suffer the learner-loading. It effects second hand prices and insurance premiums.

Annual insurance on my 125 is actually about 50% MORE than for the 750..... the 750 actually has a lower book value, too, A-N-D MPG is proportional to how hard you twist the wrist, and I tent to average about the same 70ish mpg from both bikes, getting more from the 750 than book suggests, cos I dont have to rag it every where, and less fromn the 125 than book suggests, cos I do! Go figure....

Go get a licence......

Then stop fretting about what you 'think' you look like.... with the narcissism that every one MUST be looking at you!!!! They aint... go figure!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore Tef - He's got a boner for shouting at Learners who post on here. Ideally, full license. If not, read on.

The Terra has a half-decent motor (Same as the Derbi GPR and Mulhacen, on the legal limit for L's). The Mulhacen is a decent bike (I'm 6'3" as well), but make sure it's not had it's wiring pissed around with by clueless 17yr olds.Cafe version is what to look for. Varadero's can be found in deecnt nick, but they're not cheap. There's a reason they are nicknamed Very-Dearo's

Also, the Hyosung 125's (GTR, Comet, Aquila) are decently sized and have power on the legal limit.

There was talk of removing the ability of Perpetual L Platers (Re-taking your CBT every two years), but I'm not sure if, or when, that'll happen.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might actually find that going full license and buying something slightly bigger will be more economical. 125s often come at a bit of a premium (including insurance on Ls) whereas many bikes in the 250-500 range will still offer excellent fuel economy plus meaningful extra performance.

If you really want to go 125, I'd avoid the Duke due to well documented reliability issues.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Ignore Tef - He's got a boner for shouting at Learners who post on here. Ideally, full license. If not, read on.

The Terra has a half-decent motor (Same as the Derbi GPR and Mulhacen, on the legal limit for L's). The Mulhacen is a decent bike (I'm 6'3" as well), but make sure it's not had it's wiring pissed around with by clueless 17yr olds.Cafe version is what to look for. Varadero's can be found in deecnt nick, but they're not cheap. There's a reason they are nicknamed Very-Dearo's

Also, the Hyosung 125's (GTR, Comet, Aquila) are decently sized and have power on the legal limit.

There was talk of removing the ability of Perpetual L Platers (Re-taking your CBT every two years), but I'm not sure if, or when, that'll happen.

I think also the RS4. Definitely it's the way I'd go if I had to go back. Have Hyosung's got any less rarer and hard to get spares for? Smile I guess Derbi's aren't the most common bikes either for cheap parts.

The last I saw (re changes to the CBT) they were going to remove the manual/automatic entitlement, so you can't take your CBT on a scooter and ride a geared bike (which makes sense TBH).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I think also the RS4.

Yup, that too. Brainfart.
M.C wrote:
Have Hyosung's got any less rarer and hard to get spares for? Smile I guess Derbi's aren't the most common bikes either for cheap parts.

Yeah, pretty easy now. I'd say easier than Derbi's being honest. The one's I mentioned all share the same V-Twin motor, and a lot of Suzuki parts fit.
M.C wrote:
The last I saw (re changes to the CBT) they were going to remove the manual/automatic entitlement, so you can't take your CBT on a scooter and ride a geared bike (which makes sense TBH).

Last time I heard it floating about, it was part of a consultation, in which they were also looking at knocking the Full A test on the head when upgrading from A2 and just having an approved instructor assess and sign it off.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:12 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Consider aiming for full licence... Reply with quote

I think the biggest cosmetic appearance improvement is ultimately removing the L plates.

Try a few 125s you may be surprised, depending on body proportions, I am 6'1 and have enjoyed riding around on a CB125F for five months depends where those extra 2 inches are Wink I have a mate who is your height and has shorter legs than me and long torso.

I do have a big frame and a considerable weight however (both muscle and errr a bit of extra padding.... so I know for a fact looked a bit big on the 125, mechanically though no issues, I adjusted the preload a notch and it felt zippy and easy to handle.

I did some commuting and a couple of long trips plus some bumbling around on country roads for fun, mostly good really but A roads could be a grind, fast busy junctions can be unpleasant, as you really don't have enough acceleration to slot yourself into gaps that would be fine in most cars and bigger bikes. Long stretches on A roads especially dual carriage way is not pleasant, I spent a full 26 miles at one point in 5th gear with occasional 4th when needed, throttle jammed open ALL the time going between 55 and 70 depending on incline etc. and have to scrub of a bit of precious speed now and then to let people filter in (using the right lane to give them space not being an option due to lack of any sort of real world acceleration at these speeds).

I passed my MOD2 a couple of weeks ago and BOOM taking the L plates off makes a real world difference. Some people even the usually mild mannered seem to be triggered by an L plate to do stupid overtakes, if anything the usually mild mannered are the worse as they may do stupid overtakes in under powered cars and are possibly going to consider squeezing you off the road a better options than colliding with the other steel cage hurtling towards them. I think this is partly accounted for some people thinking that L plate means you have to be restricted to 30mph..

Test rode a few bikes and picking up a Bandit 600 this week, almost trembling with excitement even at my age. On my test ride took it on A roads with a couple of fast roundabouts and was grinning from ear to ear.

I am a bit of a slow learner, getting full licence slowly over half a year or so with lots of 125 practice (about 3000 miles in total), worked for me, If I was a bit more confident and quick to pick things up it may have been better to do it all in one go. The Bandit felt about the point where bikes start fitting my frame.

I will miss the 125, it is being replaced by the Bandit I almost kept both, in city (Bristol or Bath for me) or country roads (eg. around Cheddar Gorge) it is terrific. But when the number of bikes start to multiply I think I will be researching something light that has just bit more poke to offset the disadvantage on faster roads (200-300cc).

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:24 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: or you could embrace the clown Reply with quote

alternatively embrace the clown and make it work for you Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RBz3fXOcNU

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL:DR edit

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Go get a licence......

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:38 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Yeah, pretty easy now. I'd say easier than Derbi's being honest. The one's I mentioned all share the same V-Twin motor, and a lot of Suzuki parts fit.

Hmm ok, I thought Hyosung dealers came and went with the passing of each season. The two in London are also dealers for other fine brands such as... Daelim, Keeway, KSR, Sym, LML and Brixton Thinking

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Last time I heard it floating about, it was part of a consultation, in which they were also looking at knocking the Full A test on the head when upgrading from A2 and just having an approved instructor assess and sign it off.

I can't find any recent info' beyond the consultation results (spent a whole 30 second googling tho' Smile)...
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/default-website/2017/december/government-plans-bike-training-and-cbt-changes/cbt_02.ashx?h=411&w=620&la=en&hash=E9D45C20F8270AA9B9342CC5E994B8FE3318EAE9
^ it all sounds sensible to me

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Re: or you could embrace the clown Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
alternatively embrace the clown and make it work for you Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RBz3fXOcNU

"Much better than a bus pass" Very Happy I scared myself on an MSX; I felt as slow and vulnerable as a kid on a BMX bike, so I'll probably pass but they're a cool little (although hideously expensive) thing.

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Duke 125s aren't particularly big and have a myriad of reliability problems (they're made in India).

Agreed. All the people I know who have had them have had them back and forth to the dealers for faults. That and because they are Duke...picked off by bike thieves more so than other bikes.

If you are planning to move up to a higher cc bike eventually, go for something like the Varadero. Not particularly good looking, but big, sturdy and less of a bike thief magnet.

Oh and by the way, overall height means nothing. Inside leg is what matters. I'm 5ft 7" with a 35" inside leg...meaning most bikes are too short for me. Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
Oh and by the way, overall height means nothing. Inside leg is what matters. I'm 5ft 7" with a 35" inside leg...meaning most bikes are too short for me. Thumbs Up

I am jealous of women's legs Crying or Very sad, despite being taller I've got these stupid 30 inch things. I need a leg transplant...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3VbpOzX_CFc/hqdefault.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As great and better VFM bigger bikes than 125cc are, there's alot of taller and much higher seat height 125's available new and used. The really tall ones are uncomfortable, have thin poorly padded seats and are generally not great as road bikes. Upside is that if your a tall fellow that's also a fair size unit, then the 900+mm seat height drops massively when your sat on them.

The Varadero is just one tall old used 125 that's still a good road bike, but theres less good alternatives like the Yamaha TDR and Cagiva supercity, Aprilia Pegaso Rally and Gilera Apache. KTM once made a good tall road bike too called the Sting.

There's taller Chinese bikes too, and plenty of generic supermoto or adventure style ones around. Of these the well Sinnis Apache is fairly well regarded and will be coming up for classic status soon, from the masses sold to the Noughties generation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Sinnis Apache is fairly well regarded and will be coming up for classic status soon, from the masses sold to the Noughties generation.

If there's any left Shhh!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
If there's any left Shhh!

This. Neglected and rusted most of them.

I'd have one for work, but its GS/GN based lump that's anemic, even by 125 standards. would probably put a 4V Hyosung motor in it if I went down that route.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 31 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend is having great fun on his 125, he plans to do his DAS next spring. A 125 is worth it just for something to ride while waiting on a DAS. From my last experience there is usually a waiting list for any training.

On the 125 front I have only ridden three, a CBF, Shadow VT and a CB125R.

My friend is 6ft and 15st and the 125R doesn't look too ridiculous, but maybe a wee bit ridiculous Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:11 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Hyosung............. and a lot of Suzuki parts fit.

Name 2 parts that fit.

I had a myriad of parts on mine, someone had tried changing the air filter for a Suzuki part Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does anybody else find the KTM Duke bikes a bit chavvy?

I always think they are the equivalent of owning one of those bright Orange/Green Ford Focus RS/ST's!!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is why i like 'em - lary shit rocks in bike world

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather take a Pulse Adrenaline over KTM Duke 125. This is because of the build/quality issues with the Indian built KTM. Its not a nasty looking bike, and has typical KTM power/weight advantages, but from seeing them and what I read about them, they aren't even in the shadow of Austrian built £6000 KTM 125's.

And even the Austrian competition bikes as great and class leading as they are, well you rarely see a 10-15yr old KTM running, compared to a Japanese bike. This is not just down to expensive hard to find spares, but I think even the competition bikes are not built as well as a Japanese bike.

ljw
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:53 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second what chris_hu_cheng said.

I'm 6'2" (36" inside leg) and used to commute in a city on a CBF 125. It was perfectly comfortable. Recently re-did my CBT on a 125 Duke. Reliability aside, it was comfortable for me, at least for a few hours riding.

BUT, while I enjoyed ragging my 125 on quiet single carriageway NSL roads at the weekend, longer dual carriageway stretches were never fun, nor any NSL road at rush-hour really.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
Is it just me or does anybody else find the KTM Duke bikes a bit chavvy?

Folded arms I'll get shit for this but there are two bikes you see being ridden differently on the road, 600ish Dukes and the 660 MT03, both seem (I've yet to ride a Duke Crying or Very sad) to have that 'flickability'. The little Dukes are just crap Indian motorcycles trying to cash on their big brothers reputation, however...

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd much rather take a Pulse Adrenaline over KTM Duke 125. This is because of the build/quality issues with the Indian built KTM. Its not a nasty looking bike, and has typical KTM power/weight advantages, but from seeing them and what I read about them, they aren't even in the shadow of Austrian built £6000 KTM 125's.

And even the Austrian competition bikes as great and class leading as they are, well you rarely see a 10-15yr old KTM running, compared to a Japanese bike. This is not just down to expensive hard to find spares, but I think even the competition bikes are not built as well as a Japanese bike.

No way, they're a whole new level of shitness Very Happy I don't think proper KTMs have ever been about reliability, lightness and (relative) performance yes. Lets be honest with your sensible shoes on you wouldn't buy one (on price alone).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Hyosung............. and a lot of Suzuki parts fit.

Name 2 parts that fit.

Oil filter (GS), ignition coils (2x GS), Exhaust gasket (2x GS),

That's just off the top of my head, there's a fuckton. Most aparts end up cross-referencing to a Suzuki part number. I've worked on a couple of Aquila's for a local lad, show him how to do the basics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2