Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Euro driving after no deal Brexit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:39 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Euro driving after no deal Brexit Reply with quote

Boring I know, but according to the UkGov if we don’t have a deal ,we will have to buy an international driving licence from the Post Office for around £6.00, in order to drive there. Huh. Valid for 1 year.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this with the 7 euros (every 3 years) to travel to EU countries? However will we afford it Crying or Very sad

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems implausible that a US driver doesn't need an International Permit but we would.

Obviously a reciprocal agreement would need to be decided so there might be a short period when rules were not clear.
This is why the transition period was set up, it will generally be assumed things go on as they are now unless a change is agreed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Euro driving after no deal Brexit Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
according to the UkGov if we don’t have a deal ,we will have to buy an international driving licence from the Post Office for around £6.00, in order to drive there. Huh. Valid for 1 year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
This is why the transition period was set up, it will generally be assumed things go on as they are now unless a change is agreed.

No transition in a no deal.

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'no-deal' Brexit will start a recession. I'm sure paying £6 for an international driving license will be of little significance! Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:
A 'no-deal' Brexit will start a recession. I'm sure paying £6 for an international driving license will be of little significance! Smile

Along with 4% interest rates and a 30% drop in house prices?

Dance!

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NakedBiker wrote:

You get them from the post office in larger cities. Fill in the form, give them a photo and six quid. You get one about 5 minutes later.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:
NakedBiker wrote:

You get them from the post office in larger cities. Fill in the form, give them a photo and six quid. You get one about 5 minutes later.

From the bumf referenced above:

"From 1 February 2019, the government will begin providing IDPs. From this date, you will be able to apply for both 1949 and 1968 types of IDP at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK. We will announce which Post Office branches will offer IDPs in early 2019.

Currently getting an IDP over a Post Office counter takes around 5 minutes on a turn-up-and-go basis."

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:38 - 01 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Ah "Project Fear" for the hard of thinking again. I'll highlight the usual bullshit part of this...

Quote:
After March 2019 if there’s no deal
Your driving licence may no longer be valid by itself when driving in the EU.

If you move to another EU country to live, you may not be able to exchange your licence after the UK has left the EU.

Or to cut the bullshit, "you must all allow Teresa's Remain in all but name deal or the world may end".

You'd think they'd know wouldn't you?

So project Donk doesn't know the answer then.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:57 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode a motorbike on Gran Canaria, didn't need an international Driving licence. It's not in the EU.

The channel islands aren't in the EU either, pretty sure Jersey people can drive in France.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
There is no answer because it's just propaganda aimed at people like you, too daft to see through it.

Both sides sling shit, but anyone that can't see that the side they support does do it it is the daft one. All too often, it's lapped up by knuckle dragging, xenophobic, conspiraloons like you, or your polar opposite that want a full Euro republic.

I'll pay £6 per type if I want to go on a jaunt through Europe. It's not exactly a worst case scenario, is it?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Euro driving after no deal Brexit Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
Boring I know, but according to the UkGov if we don’t have a deal ,we will have to buy an international driving licence from the Post Office for around £6.00, in order to drive there. Huh. Valid for 1 year.

Such a hard ship. If we have had to do that for the last 30 years it would have cost me in total a big fat ZERO.

I have also heard that after Brexit we will have to move the steering wheel to the other side of the car before driving in Froggyland.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:25 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I rode a motorbike on Gran Canaria, didn't need an international Driving licence. It's not in the EU.

The channel islands aren't in the EU either, pretty sure Jersey people can drive in France.

Gran Canaria is most certainly in the EU. I went to Tenerife last year, and they made a big thing of being the most southerly province within the EU.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Along with 4% interest rates and a 30% drop in house prices?

It truly baffles me how people some up with these figures.
I imagine it's with a crystal ball. For the house prices to drop 30% would mean less people wanting houses, which I really can't see happening. Then again, house prices need to drop about 50% for them to be realistic. The prices of houses in the UK is high in comparison to almost anywhere else in the world of similar structure, like Germany, the US, Canada etc and stupidly higher than in plenty of other countries like Spain, France and Italy.

Maybe we need a crash to get ourselves sorted out properly.

In any case, there is no real way to predict the prices of houses after Brexit, they may well rise double.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Maybe we need a crash to get ourselves sorted out properly.

I'd love a reset but I doubt it'll happen, there's too much vested interest, developers build just enough to maximise profits, BTL landlords are making a killing off the skewed rental market.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:56 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I couldn’t give two hoots whether we have to have “a special licence “ or not. Either way it’s an excuse to put prices on any thing we ultimately do. It’s probably all scare mongering.
Do you all remember we were being panicked at the end of the last century(1999), “planes could fall out the sky, computers will all crash, people will hide in the hills with their essential basics” because nothing was programmed to receive the year 2000.☠️
REALLY!

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
Personally, I couldn’t give two hoots whether we have to have “a special licence “ or not. Either way it’s an excuse to put prices on any thing we ultimately do. It’s probably all scare mongering.
Do you all remember we were being panicked at the end of the last century(1999), “planes could fall out the sky, computers will all crash, people will hide in the hills with their essential basics” because nothing was programmed to receive the year 2000.☠️
REALLY!

I worked on equipment that relied on a clock,which would not go past the end of the 31st December 1999.Customers were not at all pleased that their machines would not work when they next went to work on the next working day.

But the world carried on and my customers had their equipment up and running as soon as the mother board clock was changed back ten years.No reason to panic.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is so often the case, the "Millenium bug" was hyped up by the "news media" (they have an awful lot to answer for) and though real, was largely addressed through advanced recognition and remedial work. They're playing the same games with Brexit because they either want to stop it or because silly stories sell papers. TV news media is no better.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
REALLY!

Many things wouldn't go past '99, straight locked up if the date ticked over. It was a multi-year long effort that made it such a non-event. I worked a metric fuckton of 90hr weeks in the months running up to it to get as many systems ready as possible.

If it had just been left, I can assure you, things would have gone tits up.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Many things wouldn't go past '99, straight locked up if the date ticked over. It was a multi-year long effort that made it such a non-event. I worked a metric fuckton of 90hr weeks in the months running up to it to get as many systems ready as possible.

If it had just been left, I can assure you, things would have gone tits up.

Shhhhhhh stop being reasonable. It reminds me of Carney forecasting a negative effect from the enactment of article 50. On its enactment, he initiated countermeasures which offset the worst of his own predictions at a net loss overall.

Because he offset the worst, his predictions were..... wrong..... apparently...... to many...... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You got no chance fella.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2