ZX6R Brakes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:18 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: ZX6R Brakes Reply with quote

Hi Guys. happy new year to you all!

Took the bike out for a spin yesterday (haven't rode it since Oct), and the brakes were total gash! back & front.

both resevoirs are full, got Hel braided lines. Changed rear pads in the summer for some SBS pads. Not changed the front though. they probably do need changing, but i don't think its the cause.

Basically there is hardly any pressure when applying the brakes, and not a lot of stopping power........ Any ideas what it could be?

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe needing a good bleeding?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you any resistance on the levers?
If so i would suggest that the caliper pistons/ or/ the master cyls are seized.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a caliper strip, clean and rebuild
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your convinced that the bike was working perfectly fine last time you rode it and it wasn't stored covered in gunk then my first guess would be that there's an air leak somewhere.

Could be a faulty seal, bleed nipple slightly open, air in the fluid or trapped somewhere or a problem within the caliper itself: sliding pins need cleaning; pistons not moving etc.

A basic clean of the caliper should turn a soft lever into a useable one, and if that doesn't work then the best thing to do would be to replace the consumables, seals and bleed nipple.

Deal with the rear first and then you'll have an idea of what might need doing on the front (single caliper generally cheaper to service and will give you an idea of what is wrong with all three).

Although, at the very least, I'd just take it all apart and order everything in one go.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: ZX6R Brakes Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
Took the bike out for a spin yesterday (haven't rode it since Oct), and the brakes were total gash! back & front..... Basically there is hardly any pressure when applying the brakes, and not a lot of stopping power........ Any ideas what it could be?

Aceslock wrote:
Current bike: ZX6R.

I don't disagree with the other assessments, but just to add another dimension; Tokico 6-pots? Squeeze 'em! You've had a lay off and forgotten how they feel. And/or they've been stewing in grime and corrosion. I was a bit shocked when I got my ZX6R back on the road after using the R1's gold spots, but with more pressure on the lever (which will go back quite a long way) I find the Tokico's will do the job alright. They just don't bite hard until quite a lot of lever travel.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:23 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: ZX6R Brakes Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Aceslock wrote:
Took the bike out for a spin yesterday (haven't rode it since Oct), and the brakes were total gash! back & front..... Basically there is hardly any pressure when applying the brakes, and not a lot of stopping power........ Any ideas what it could be?

Aceslock wrote:
Current bike: ZX6R.

I don't disagree with the other assessments, but just to add another dimension; Tokico 6-pots? Squeeze 'em! You've had a lay off and forgotten how they feel. And/or they've been stewing in grime and corrosion. I was a bit shocked when I got my ZX6R back on the road after using the R1's gold spots, but with more pressure on the lever (which will go back quite a long way) I find the Tokico's will do the job alright. They just don't bite hard until quite a lot of lever travel.

Last winter I used my 9r right up until the first snow, then just dumped it in my lock up for a couple of months and had the exact problem the OP mentioned (front brake lever was going right back to the handlebars without much happening), I spent a couple of hours stripping, cleaning and replacing all the seals.... after that I only needed a few millimeters of movement to slow the bike

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: ZX6R Brakes Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
Basically there is hardly any pressure when applying the brakes, and not a lot of stopping power........ Any ideas what it could be?

tokico 6 pots

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUPOqo6E1XvWXwlCyQ/giphy.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: ZX6R Brakes Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Last winter I used my 9r right up until the first snow, then just dumped it in my lock up for a couple of months and had the exact problem the OP mentioned (front brake lever was going right back to the handlebars without much happening), I spent a couple of hours stripping, cleaning and replacing all the seals.... after that I only needed a few millimeters of movement to slow the bike

Interesting. Maybe I should do mine again, although I don't think I ever got to "just a few mm" on the lever. What would the cause be? Water in the brake fluid?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: ZX6R Brakes Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Interesting. Maybe I should do mine again, although I don't think I ever got to "just a few mm" on the lever. What would the cause be? Water in the brake fluid?

In my case it was because the bike had been sitting for a while with all the crap on the calipers, and with 12 pistons in there it only takes a couple sticking to make the brakes go weird.... and if all the pistons on 1 side of a caliper are sticking then (in my experience) the brake lever ends up spongy and the braking is shit.

Last time I done a strip and clean I think it cost about £15-£20 for all the seals, washers and brake fluid, and even with the old pads the lever needed very little pressure to slow the bike

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:48 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seized. Could be a combination of pistons and sliding pins. Strip and clean.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:16 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***

Sorry for the late update. For anyone that's interested, I stripped the front callipers & cleaned them up as suggested (with some help from youtube vids)

It looks like a couple of the pistons were seized. They were cnuts to get out!!

cleaned everything up, (the seals were fine so reused them) re-filled the lines with new fluid & bled system. Only last week I managed to get out on the bike for one reason or another, but brake power now better than ever Very Happy

As for the back brakes, the old jamming the brake on overnight done the trick. wedged a screwdriver in between the lever to keep it depressed. left it there for longer than 24 hours though, more like a week Laughing

All good now so thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 26 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
***Update***

Sorry for the late update. For anyone that's interested, I stripped the front callipers & cleaned them up as suggested (with some help from youtube vids)

It looks like a couple of the pistons were seized. They were cnuts to get out!!

cleaned everything up, (the seals were fine so reused them) re-filled the lines with new fluid & bled system. Only last week I managed to get out on the bike for one reason or another, but brake power now better than ever Very Happy

As for the back brakes, the old jamming the brake on overnight done the trick. wedged a screwdriver in between the lever to keep it depressed. left it there for longer than 24 hours though, more like a week Laughing

All good now so thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.

Glad your sorted matey Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1