Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bandit 600 front-end clunk sound

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Bandit 600 front-end clunk sound Reply with quote

Got my first big bike on Monday spent the last few few days riding it around. Is a Bandit 600 Mk1 with stupidly low mileage (which may be a factor) has had a bit of action in the last year or so (a few thousand miles). An rides really well (based on my limited experience).

There is however a noticeable 'clunk' from the front-end that seems to happen when the forks are compressed a little (they will happily compress further after the clunk. Sounds a bit like the clunk you get when you pop it into first but only about half as load.

If I bounce the front suddenly (using my not inconsiderable weight or pushing the bike and pulling front brake hard, I don't seem to get it.

Steering is smooth riding slow or fast and during slow speed manoeuvres.

If I take the weight off the front, bars move freely from lock to lock,

Brakes work well including a couple of practiced emergency stops.

If I brace front wheel with my legs there is no free play when I put pressure on the bars.

There is no free-play in the wheel, brake calipers or discs and I have gone through every nut and bolt on the front-end looking for something missing or loose, there isn't anything, and nothing else loose or knocking that I can find.

I don't have a lot of experience with bikes yet, should I be worried? Best I can make out from searching is a change of fork oil might be called for.

It is a bit annoying when going slow on slight bumpy surfaces (very bumpy surfaces aren't an issue as the forks appear to have to uncompress fully before you can get another 'clunk') but once you get up any speed or revs there the noise is drowned out.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be the front brake pads are rattling /moving? (anti rattle springs)

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
May be the front brake pads are rattling /moving? (anti rattle springs)

Potentially good call, thanks, didn't think of that.

I used to a do a lot of car mechanics (mid 80s to 90s) lost enthusiasm when everything became computerised and wedged in. Looking to get the spark bike with bikes. Awaiting Haynes manual and a tool audit and then looking for a place to start, unless something else crops up stripping and cleaning the front-front brakes might be that place Smile

Riding bikes was the main pull but there is something very satisfying about fixing stuff with spanners and have a permanent layer of oil/grime under the finger nails.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the brake disk, is there lots of movement on the bobbins?

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:18 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

There is no free-play in the discs (with all hand pressure I can apply), I guess I would feel it if there was an issue there?

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:46 - 02 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

There is no free-play in the discs (with all hand pressure I can apply), I guess I would feel it if there was an issue there?

OK just been researching and I 'should' get some movement on discs so I probably need to check there is enough/any movements on the bobbins. might get a warped disc otherwise. So though not a likely clause of clunk, something I need to investigate anyway....

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same on my SV, particularly noticeable over humps and potholes. Turned out to be new discs required. Fitted new discs and the problem went away. There was pretty much no movement in the discs before this, I can only assume that when still and in situ one can't generate enough force with one's hands to replicate the clunk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:31 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I had the same on my SV, particularly noticeable over humps and potholes. Turned out to be new discs required. Fitted new discs and the problem went away. There was pretty much no movement in the discs before this, I can only assume that when still and in situ one can't generate enough force with one's hands to replicate the clunk

Cheers, I am pretty much convinced now I need to have a good look at the disks and brake pads, if it turns out to be the forks then peace of mind of going over and cleaning the brakes etc. is worthwhile. I have found a local (ish) mobile mechanic who is coming over to change the tyres (they are old) and chain/sprockets (not well maintained and not a lot of life left in them). Going forward going to work out what bits I can do myself and what to get him to do. Sounds like he seems happy to show me what he is doing etc. so hopefully going to learn something.

Thanks for all the advice, when I get rid of the clunk I will comeback and confirm what is was Wink

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check for steering head bearing wear.
Jack up the front and see if the bars have the feel of dropping into a slight notch roughly straight ahead.
I'd go for brakes though, it might sort itself with more use.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be checking the head bearings, catch it early and it's an easy adjustment. Late and it's new bearings.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1