Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£300 claim vs £150 excess

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:54 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: £300 claim vs £150 excess Reply with quote

Evening BCFers

If some twonk couldnt judge the size of their vehicle and took off your wing mirror in a narrow lane, and disappeared befoe you could turn aroumd and catch them, and the repair would be £300 vs a "fault" claim with a £150 excess on own policy (bit higher claim value due to ambulance chasers and mgmt. companies jumping on the bandwagon) what would you do?

Fully comp protected no claims policy btw.

Cynic in me says not worth it due to subsequent premium rises but at the same time dont really want to splash £300 on a wing mirror.

(All the above is obvs hypothetical...)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: £300 claim vs £150 excess Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
what would you do?

Buy a wing mirror from eBay etc. not for £300 and avoid dealing with the vultures. You haven't told them already have you? Praying

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with MC, it's not worth claiming unless it's a big claim.

I've got protected no claims as well. I'm not sure how protected they would be if you had a claim though. I bet you get a (large) premium rise next renewal protected or not.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother claiming. You'll pay more than £150 in extra insurance costs over the following 5 years where you have to declare it.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Agree with MC, it's not worth claiming unless it's a big claim.

I've got protected no claims as well. I'm not sure how protected they would be if you had a claim though. I bet you get a (large) premium rise next renewal protected or not.

You are permitted so many claims in 3 or 4 years(depends on company) before your NCD would be changed.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:

You are permitted so many claims in 3 or 4 years(depends on company) before your NCD would be changed.

but you would gain a claims history .. and that is what will put your basic premium up before any NCD is deducted.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:01 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem that not many of my car (vw CC) came with powerfold mirrors as there arent any on the bay.

Called VW for a laugh to see how much they'd ask for a single powerfold mirror: £659 !

Non powerfolding version (second hand) in correct colour sourced for £132.

Its really bloody annoying though.

Transcend Drive Pro 200 wouldnt pick up the reg (unlit road) :(

TBH even if it could, on a narrow ish road with no centre markings and despite the other vehicle being clearly in the middle of the road and leaving no space eve if it did the ins co would only end up 50 50.

Of course id always inform the vultures....
But not needed here in this hypothetical example !! :lol:

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: £300 claim vs £150 excess Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
Evening BCFers

If some twonk couldnt judge the size of their vehicle and took off your wing mirror in a narrow lane, and disappeared befoe you could turn aroumd and catch them, and the repair would be £300 vs a "fault" claim with a £150 excess on own policy (bit higher claim value due to ambulance chasers and mgmt. companies jumping on the bandwagon) what would you do?

Cynic in me says not worth it due to subsequent premium rises but at the same time dont really want to splash £300 on a wing mirror.

(All the above is obvs hypothetical...)

Even if you caught up with them, you can't prove they were at fault.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:
It would seem that not many of my car (vw CC) came with powerfold mirrors as there arent any on the bay.

Called VW for a laugh to see how much they'd ask for a single powerfold mirror: £659 !

Non powerfolding version (second hand) in correct colour sourced for £132.

Its really bloody annoying though.

Transcend Drive Pro 200 wouldnt pick up the reg (unlit road) Sad

TBH even if it could, on a narrow ish road with no centre markings and despite the other vehicle being clearly in the middle of the road and leaving no space eve if it did the ins co would only end up 50 50.

Of course id always inform the vultures....
But not needed here in this hypothetical example !! Laughing

Are they unique to the CC? Also often the 'colour' is just a bit of plastic on top.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:

The point is, whether you have protected NCB or not, any sniff of an ongoing or completed claim which can't be pinned on someone else's insurance and they'll shaft you.

it does not matter who made the claim or who was blame worthy or not .. they still label you with a claim history .. and its all on file somewhere or other ..
charlatans the lot of them ... Neutral

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to be over a couple of thousand before a claim is worth it.

Do a test on confused, one without the claim and one with a claim, note the difference.

Then remember you need to do this on all policies, bike, car, second car etc.

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:10 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all.

Seems to be a case of suck it up, buttercup.

@ MC: The mirror itself does have different colour panels that can be changed but the housing was completely destroyed too.

I think the mk6 golf has the same mirror with different baseplate.

CC mirrors themseleves are pretty common enough - but it seems I bought one with a rarely chosen option (Powerfold : at least its rare on the CC). For now ill see if a non power folding one works, and most importantlyd if the side repeater on the mirror works like that too.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: £300 claim vs £150 excess Reply with quote

owl10 wrote:

Be aware protected no claims is, if you stay with the same company.....

So forget shopping around for cheaper quotes, once you have claimed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: £300 claim vs £150 excess Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
owl10 wrote:

Be aware protected no claims is, if you stay with the same company.....

So forget shopping around for cheaper quotes, once you have claimed.

I'm sure arry said it was transferable.

However there is of course no guarantee that a new company won't load you to the gunwales.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
Even though Admiral agreed and were fighting the case, my insurance trebled from £200 to £600 at renewal, even with the protected NCB. At this point the claim was still ongoing and we were still refusing liability.

Aren't they meant to refund you in that situation (did they)? I think any ongoing claim they load as at fault.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife slid into a parked car (with the driver in it) in the snow a year or 2 ago. Only snagged his wing mirror and it was on an old Honda.
At the time the guy was happy for my wife to pay directly for the damage outside of insurance - save either of us a hike.
So we waited for him to check out prices and see how much it cost, he then came back with a dealership price - something stupid like £350.

I don't know if he was trying to con us and get more cash, but it just wasn't worth paying out that much as our excess was quite small - so we went through insurance. Means hikes all round but hey, can't help some people!
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
My wife slid into a parked car (with the driver in it) in the snow a year or 2 ago. Only snagged his wing mirror and it was on an old Honda.
At the time the guy was happy for my wife to pay directly for the damage outside of insurance - save either of us a hike.
So we waited for him to check out prices and see how much it cost, he then came back with a dealership price - something stupid like £350.

I don't know if he was trying to con us and get more cash, but it just wasn't worth paying out that much as our excess was quite small - so we went through insurance. Means hikes all round but hey, can't help some people!

If someone went into me I would go for a dealership for my car repairs. Why not? It's not my fault and I want it back to the standard it was before the crash.

Why should I go to Bob's back street bodgers and have an ebay reject fitted because you think that's what should be fitted and have the audacity to think you are doing me a favour?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, i had a non fault claim on my car a few years back (dozy woman pulled out into the side of me)

The only damage to my car was a replacement alloy wheel and wheel arch trim, plus hire car for about 10 days

Whenever i'm asked to delcare it, i am always asked to put the cost of the claim, to which i have absolute,y no idea as i was never told to total cost (including hire car), so i just stick down £500 (seems reasonable for an alloy wheel and trim, and my insurance hasn't increased by any discernible amount in the past 4 years of declaring it, other than the usual rises expected in these days of customer loyalty Laughing Laughing Laughing

Seriously though, shopping around i generally find each years renewal at a very similar price, so no, a sub £500 claim should not cause any massive hikes in the next 5 years premiums

Best thing, is stick some fake details into go-compare, and do a quote with and without a claim, see how much of a difference it makes

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Feasty wrote:

If someone went into me I would go for a dealership for my car repairs. Why not? It's not my fault and I want it back to the standard it was before the crash.

Why should I go to Bob's back street bodgers and have an ebay reject fitted because you think that's what should be fitted and have the audacity to think you are doing me a favour?

Just out of interest, has anyone in the history of "yeah mate I'll pay for the damage" actually paid up? It seems like every story ends up going through insurance.

rpsmith79 wrote:
Whenever i'm asked to delcare it, i am always asked to put the cost of the claim, to which i have absolute,y no idea as i was never told to total cost (including hire car), so i just stick down £500 (seems reasonable for an alloy wheel and trim, and my insurance hasn't increased by any discernible amount in the past 4 years of declaring it, other than the usual rises expected in these days of customer loyalty Laughing Laughing Laughing

Careful with that, I'm willing to bet £500 wouldn't even cover the hire car, so you might be misdeclaring and giving them grounds to reject a claim in future.

I believe the claim amount is also meant to include damage to the other party, I've no idea how you're meant to know that, I just declare what my letters say for the total claim (everything my side).

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

rpsmith79 wrote:

Careful with that, I'm willing to bet £500 wouldn't even cover the hire car, so you might be misdeclaring and giving them grounds to reject a claim in future.

I believe the claim amount is also meant to include damage to the other party, I've no idea how you're meant to know that, I just declare what my letters say for the total claim (everything my side).

But as i said, i was never told to total amount, has anyone ever in the history of insurance claims, been told to total amount of their claim

I'm also pretty sure that they check your claims history out when taking out a policy anyway as due diligence, the amount you enter is only there for the insurance bots to calculate your yearly premium, and it has never affected my premiums thus far

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Cos what feasty said. A 'dealership-level' fee is instantly likely to make the difference between the matter going via insurance companies and not doing so. And as we all know, that involves premium hikes for years even if you're not at fault. And if you're driving have a crappy 12-year old Honda, will it really make that much difference to you to have a brand-new, dealer-fitted replacement door mirror over an identical but 5-year-old item off eBay? A bit of cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face methinks.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 14:11 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Cos what feasty said. A 'dealership-level' fee is instantly likely to make the difference between the matter going via insurance companies and not doing so. And as we all know, that involves premium hikes for years even if you're not at fault. And if you're driving have a crappy 12-year old Honda, will it really make that much difference to you to have a brand-new, dealer-fitted replacement door mirror over an identical but 5-year-old item off eBay? A bit of cutting-off-nose-to-spite-face methinks.

To be quite honest, on ,my old Toyota I would be perfectly happy with an Ebay part to replace and a small independent garage to fit. only issue would be no doubt I would have to source the part etc on ebay for the numpty who hypothetically hits me which is some inconvenience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
M.C wrote:

But as i said, i was never told to total amount, has anyone ever in the history of insurance claims, been told to total amount of their claim

I'm also pretty sure that they check your claims history out when taking out a policy anyway as due diligence, the amount you enter is only there for the insurance bots to calculate your yearly premium, and it has never affected my premiums thus far

That's what I said, in terms of knowing the damage to both parties, but in terms of my side I know the value as I had to accept the offer.

I think Polarbear's daughter (Wub) had her insurance cancelled because she incorrectly declared the year of an accident. It seems they're becoming more vigilant.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

No it wouldn't make much difference if my car was a POS but you have to find one, pay for it and then get someone to fit it if you aren't mechanically minded all the while hoping the person is actually going to come up with the money. What if it costs you £200 as it's the only one on ebay and another £50 to get it fitted then the bloke says that's too much as well?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2