£300 claim vs £150 excess

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
That's what I said, in terms of knowing the damage to both parties, but in terms of my side I know the value as I had to accept the offer.

I think Polarbear's daughter (Wub) had her insurance cancelled because she incorrectly declared the year of an accident. It seems they're becoming more vigilant.

I didn't have to accept any offer, as there was no offer to make as the car was repairable, i just let the claims handling company sort it, never once did they mention how much the claim was worth

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
No it wouldn't make much difference if my car was a POS but you have to find one, pay for it and then get someone to fit it if you aren't mechanically minded all the while hoping the person is actually going to come up with the money. What if it costs you £200 as it's the only one on ebay and another £50 to get it fitted then the bloke says that's too much as well?

Freddyfruitbat hit the nail on the head.
I wouldn't mind if the guy just said he wanted to go through insurance - that's what we would've done. If he'd said £150-£200 I would have just paid out.

After a previous incident a few years ago (my wife went into the back of someone else at a roundabout at slow speed), we offered to pay and get their car fixed. I already know a local garage who are very good at repairs at a decent price - far less than dealerships.
The lady took her car there, got a lift there and back, and had it done in a day - we then went down to make sure she was happy with the repair and paid the garage directly.
Would have done the same for the mirror guy...
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
M.C wrote:
That's what I said, in terms of knowing the damage to both parties, but in terms of my side I know the value as I had to accept the offer.

I think Polarbear's daughter (Wub) had her insurance cancelled because she incorrectly declared the year of an accident. It seems they're becoming more vigilant.

I didn't have to accept any offer, as there was no offer to make as the car was repairable, i just let the claims handling company sort it, never once did they mention how much the claim was worth

Same here but I was still informed how much the hire vehicle cost, how much was for the vehicle (same if they'd repaired it), how much was for personal injury, loss of earnings yada yada. Anecdotally it seems more normal to know how much it cost (your side) than not.

Anyway this is turning into a bit of a boring back and forth, all I'm saying is be careful, I very much doubt ignorance will be a defence, particularly if all it would take is an email to the claims management company to find out the real figure. Either the real figure makes no difference to your premium (which's fine), or if it does then an insurer will probably become interested, maybe only when it's claim time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2