Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike snobbery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
you never know someone's circumstances, someone's low-value older machine might be their pride and joy that they lovingly look after and is all they can afford. Or it might be someone's first bike, a hack or whatever, and it's the start of someone's motorcycling journey

Nonsense - I looked up the price of a new MV Agusta Brutale (just a random high-end bike that came to my mind) and it's only £14K. This is the UK not sub-Saharan Africa - if anyone over 30 with a job doesn't have £14K in investments or savings I would be very surprised. Houses and flats can cost a lot. Many, many more times what a top-end bike would cost. Some people don't have a bike or car but have more than one house. Some have 7 or 8 in London, each worth about a quarter of a million. And still not have a bike or a car. Then again there are people renting their homes who have BMW GS bikes outside (which they may own or still be paying for) - not even a garage to stick it in. I ride an old XJ600N and I have taken almost everything apart on it and put it back together. Beginning or the end of my motorcycling journey? You can't know anything about anyone's circumstances by the vehicle they drive or ride.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:01 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

£14k?

You mean £40k?

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/mv-agusta/brutale-1000/2019/

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

And it's not even a real MV.
Is that bike snobbery? Sorry I just have a thing about people buying up old names and putting them on new bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I stand corrected if that's the case, but I've Googled it twice now, and all my results show it (MV Agusta Brutale 800) coming in at £14K. The official website says the starting price is 13980 Euros:
https://www.mvagusta.com/en/model/brutale/800

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:38 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, after I posted the £40k bike I found pages saying that the starting price is £14k. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
if anyone over 30 with a job doesn't have £14K in investments or savings I would be very surprised

I would be utterly stunned if that was true. Is there a source for your supposition?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Bhud wrote:
if anyone over 30 with a job doesn't have £14K in investments or savings I would be very surprised

I would be utterly stunned if that was true. Is there a source for your supposition?

Sure, there are bound to be exceptions, but I just figure it's generally true. It's a really small sum of money. Someone aged 30 has had at least 7 years of working life - perhaps more. 7 years = 84 months. That means to end up with £14K they would only have to funnel away £167 per month into suitable ISAs or whatever during that time. That's just 10% of a £20K salary over 7 years.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Sure, there are bound to be exceptions, but I just figure it's generally true. It's a really small sum of money.

Please send me the small sum of £14k. I'm sure you won't even notice it's gone Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Someone aged 30 has had at least 7 years of working life - perhaps more. 7 years = 84 months. That means to end up with £14K they would only have to funnel away £167 per month into suitable ISAs or whatever during that time. That's just 10% of a £20K salary over 7 years.

Excellent advice for anyone is to save 10% of their take-home from when they start work.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Bhud wrote:

Whistle I peaked at 33k @ 28. Most (working) people I know have lots of disposable income because they aren't buying houses like years ago. People moan about their toys, ignoring that they won't ever own a place of their own, and will be living working until the day they die.

chickenstrip wrote:
Please send me the small sum of £14k. I'm sure you won't even notice it's gone Smile

In exchange for the deeds to your house when you die? Done Smile

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biker is a pejorative term. Think how someone last used it to you. Motorcyclist sounds elitist. Petrolhead sounds Clarksist. Just say, 'I ride a bike.' Then wait for questions. FFS, we're not vegans seeking approval for saving the planet.

Btw, pepperami, isn't your 6r beating most of them pound per pound for bhp?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

In exchange for the deeds to your house when you die? Done Smile

Stop moaning about your toys Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:29 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've had more than £14k in savings in my life was when I was putting down a deposit on my place. I had £10k tied up in a nearly new car once too, but sold it a couple of years later for £6k to renovate my house.

Who with a mortgage, car and family has £14k of savings? I bet it's a small minority, as home owners will always want to spend their money on home improvements, or moving to a bigger place, or paying off the mortgage instead.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The only time I've had more than £14k in savings in my life was when I was putting down a deposit on my place. I had £10k tied up in a nearly new car once too, but sold it a couple of years later for £6k to renovate my house.

Who with a mortgage, car and family has £14k of savings? I bet it's a small minority, as home owners will always want to spend their money on home improvements, or moving to a bigger place, or paying off the mortgage instead.

I think we come from completely opposite ends of the spectrum with regard to attitudes to money and I doubt the circumstances you outlined here are typical in any way.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

I think we come from completely opposite ends of the spectrum with regard to attitudes to money and I doubt the circumstances you outlined here are typical in any way.

What Stevo has typed is more typical of my situation......

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud, I suspect you're a bit like our politicians...not in touch with how much of the world lives.

I think bike snobbery met while out and about is more to do with how an individual comes across than what he's riding, and probably is perceived due to others finding the rider mind numbingly boring.

For instance, I don't really like Harleys, cruisers etc. But if a Harley rider engages me with sufficiently interesting talk about bikes, I'll chat. If on the other hand he wants to just drone on about why his bike is so great, I'll find a way to disengage. I try not to do it in a manner that will be perceived as rude, but he'll probably go away thinking I'm a bike snob, whereas in reality, I just find him tedious company. I'm also conscious that others would find me numbingly boring if I just droned on about my bike all the time...oh, wait Embarassed Laughing

Then again, if someone has a bike that does interest me, I'll be more inclined to listen to them droning on about their bike - but there's a limit, even then. Again, comes down to how he comes across.

Bikes can be a useful starting point of conversation to meet people - if we both turn up somewhere on bikes, it's an obvious thing we have in common, at least to some degree. But in a longer chat, it's nice when we get onto other subjects too - might click about music, or walking the Lakeland fells (often around here) or whatever. Just because I'm out on my bike, doesn't mean it's all I want to talk about all the time.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:56 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so bothered about the snobs. They are the ones who buy expensive bikes on credit and then I can pick them up cheap years later.

What bothers me is the wannabes who don't really pay their biking dues as it were, and pretend they are hardcore even though they've been riding for five minutes and don't have a clue.

My GF has a friend who met this guy... He claimed to be a biker. He wore tweed, had overy styled hair and sleeve tattoos. Nothing wrong with that as such until I found out he lives in Shoreditch and just bought a brand new Enfield Himalayan and then claimed it was a fast bike. She asked him about it, and he said "It's OK, I have a 650 Fazer too". For a minute I thought maybe Yamaha had released a new bike that I wasn't aware of... but then I did a google and I really don't think a 650 Fazer exists... That was his downfall as far as I'm concerned. People can be into whatever they want, but when they make shit up to try to ingratiate themselves with the groupthink I feel quite sorry for them.

That said, having watched Ready Player One recently, and realising that knowing all their is to know about your particular fandom is not a master key to the world, My long held view that anyone can be a fan at any level was reinforced. In fact, I felt that this movie was taking the piss out of hardcore fans to some extent. In some ways biking snobbery is the same thing as that fandom. I'm really really into bikes, and have been for as long as I can remember but I'd never take the piss out of a n00b for being a n00b. Sometimes I let my feelings on cheap Chinese 125's be known, but anyone who has passed their bike test is legit as far as I'm concerned. That's the trial they need to pass to join the club. Not having a 1000cc sportsbike, or riding an enduro, or trying to be Charley Boorman etc.

There are bikes I don't like, and I'll be open about that, but I don't see why I should ever take the piss out of someone for wanting to be into bikes, even if their taste in bikes is questionable.

The forum is obviously different I think - If I meet someone in real life and they tell me they have a Yamasaki I say "Oh, cool". Obviously if they come to me and ask me if they should buy a Yamasaki I'll say no but that is different. I think that is the difference between being knowledgable and being a snob. As I said, the Forum itself is very different, and I do take the pi$$ a bit on here, but I think to some extent that only kicks in once people have been stupid for a reasonable amount of time first.

Maybe I am a biking snob? I am not, however, and never will be a 'matching kit KTM adventure' type, nor a "You must have a race replica with matching leathers to be real' person. If people want to do that, it's a bit weird but I'm not going to condemn them for it, and at the same time if people wear and ride what they can afford that's fine too. But when someone judges someone else for the area of biking they choose then that's probably moving into the snobbery area.

Except for cruisers. Cruisers are pointless. And Brat bikes. I hate 'em. and Hipsters...

Shifty Shifty Shifty Shifty

(Apologies for the Teftastic post btw).

Mind you... You think biking snobbery is bad. Have you ever heard a bunch of cyclists get together and talk about their carbon framed fixie road bikes and stuff? Jeez. Motorcyclists are the definition of inclusive compared to them!!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:03 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Nonsense - I looked up the price of a new MV Agusta Brutale (just a random high-end bike that came to my mind) and it's only £14K. This is the UK not sub-Saharan Africa - if anyone over 30 with a job doesn't have £14K in investments or savings I would be very surprised. Houses and flats can cost a lot. Many, many more times what a top-end bike would cost. Some people don't have a bike or car but have more than one house. Some have 7 or 8 in London, each worth about a quarter of a million. And still not have a bike or a car. Then again there are people renting their homes who have BMW GS bikes outside (which they may own or still be paying for) - not even a garage to stick it in. I ride an old XJ600N and I have taken almost everything apart on it and put it back together. Beginning or the end of my motorcycling journey? You can't know anything about anyone's circumstances by the vehicle they drive or ride.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this... but I *think* it makes you come across as a d*ckhead. I'm not sure, because you seem to pivot from "Everyone in the UK is rich!" to "I can't afford anything better than a 600 diversion".

What a very peculiar post.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at with this... but I *think* it makes you come across as a d*ckhead. I'm not sure, because you seem to pivot from "Everyone in the UK is rich!" to "I can't afford anything better than a 600 diversion".

What a very peculiar post.

Well I tried to make it crystal clear. I can afford any bike I like but I'm happy with the one I've got, because I don't blow my cash on shit I don't need to impress people I don't know. If someone wants to point their finger at my bike and say I'm poor, that's fine with me but it would be an inaccurate belief on their part (I might just point my finger at their mortgage if I could be bothered).

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:58 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Well I tried to make it crystal clear. I can afford any bike I like but I'm happy with the one I've got, because I don't blow my cash on shit I don't need to impress people I don't know. If someone wants to point their finger at my bike and say I'm poor, that's fine with me but it would be an inaccurate belief on their part.

In which case you TOTALLY missed the point of the post you quoted, because I took that as "How can you take the piss out of anyone on any bike? They could be rich, sure, but they could be on minimum wage but desperately want to ride, so they have a Hyosung GT250 or whatever it is."

I don't think he's being snobbish, I think he's trying to put down the snobs. I think by saying everyone over 30 has 15k of assets or investments is incredibly short sighted, and dare I say it snobbish.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:01 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tritey?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
In which case you TOTALLY missed the point of the post you quoted, because I took that as "How can you take the piss out of anyone on any bike? They could be rich, sure, but they could be on minimum wage but desperately want to ride, so they have a Hyosung GT250 or whatever it is."

I don't think he's being snobbish, I think he's trying to put down the snobs. I think by saying everyone over 30 has 15k of assets or investments is incredibly short sighted, and dare I say it snobbish.

Yes it's quite likely I missed the point.
The bottom line is, everyone's happy and having fun on what they've got, mostly. For a circuit of about 60 miles out in the country on a weekend, you don't need much bike, but if you're doing trackdays or you're doing long distance tours, you will have different needs.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:52 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Yes it's quite likely I missed the point.
The bottom line is, everyone's happy and having fun on what they've got, mostly. For a circuit of about 60 miles out in the country on a weekend, you don't need much bike, but if you're doing trackdays or you're doing long distance tours, you will have different needs.

I think you just succinctly described the point...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is my end of the financial spectrum a frugal saver that is very lifelong careful with cash (tight), or a frivolous spender that blows all my cash as soon as I get it and will never save a penny, I'm confused? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 91 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6