Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR125 final drive ratio curiosity

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only get 50 on GPS, especially with a capacity boost, something is fucked.
I'm, 6'3" and my stock YBR hit 70 if you had a long enough road, even before replacing the motor that the previous owner had fucked. Assuming you actually redline it on the way up the gears (It's a 125, you need to).

I suspect that with a "sports" exhaust, free flowing airfilter and larger bore, you may be outside of what the FI system can adjust to.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR speedo is driven from the front wheel, not the gearbox, so the lack of change in what that is displaying is probably down to the cable needing a lube Smile

I'm not surprised that a tooth drop on the front sprocket gives a higher MPH, they only produce around 10bhp so need all the leverage they can get. The earlier carbed version has slightly larger ports and kicked out a whopping 11bhp, so if you're in the mood for fettling you might want to source a head from one of those and see if you can rig it for FI, or just swap to carb for more options, if your mate can't remap the FI.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and (a) welcome to the forum, and (b) lube up, you're in for a heavy Teffing Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Oh, and (a) welcome to the forum, and (b) lube up, you're in for a heavy Teffing Smile

125 - tick
4 stroke - tick
gearing a 125 - tick
tuning a 125 - tick
Frustrated at the results - tick

I too can hear Teffs fingers buzzing away as he types up a 4 thousand word essay!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck Tef!

He's probably first been wanking himself off over a possible green enough newbie that he feels he can get away with bombarding with poorly spelt Gospel script. (Although OP doesn't come across as a chump to me based on his first post and background). Teff might not get as far with his "assumption is the mother" essay.

I've been around here long enough to know, he'll only try it on the conscientious clueless newbie prey, and not someone who's too wise to suffer fools, or even a stroppy teen that knows everything and will just give it a load of "fuck you grandad" at such a telling.

To OP, I agree with the others (no insult intended) that with 20St a YBR will get nowhere near 65mph. A true measured 56mph on the flat sounds bang on for a stock bike, given the circumstances. If even with a 10St rider a std YBR could reach a true 60mph on the flat then that's really good with 10bhp and no fairing. The YBR is doing itself proud even!

Bear in mind a best case (guess) for an indicated 65 or 70mph being 60/65mph is very good. Some speedos on small bikes are 10mph out at 60mph. (I think the KMX speedo is 7-8mph out as an example).

Your imminent heavy Teffing will go on about cylinder filling, valve sizes and cam timing etc, but the bottom line is that the 150cc kit as bolted on with a different exhaust and air filter will be lucky to make 2bhp extra. If it makes this much or more then again it's working as well as can be expected.

Out of interest what's your top speed down a long hill? If it's going to over 70mph on the speedo (on the standard gearing) that will tell you what you need to know.

Lastly expect some frowned upon comments if your planning on handing the bike down to your son as a 150cc, as people will be screaming to tell you how illegal this is and how irresponsible of dad etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
You say your YBR was hitting 70mph but was that on the GPS or on the speedo? As I said mine was showing 65mph when it was actually doing only 56mph. If you're a few stone lighter than me that could explain it?

GPS (DigiHUD Android app). GPS said 72, speedo indicated just over 80. Took a while to get there, but it did. I'm 16st-ish, so not an amazing difference.

Travis Bickle wrote:
Sorry to question but are you SURE the speedo is driven from the front wheel?

Yes. If you want to verify it yourself, just follow the cable from the back of the speedo.

If your exhaust is too open, you may well not have enough backpressure/scavenging. I'd suggest having a look into it, it's really important, and some bikes are very sensitive to changes in it.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
You weren't going downhill or slipstreaming or anything were you?

Nope. This road. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/53%C2%B000'04.6%22N+2%C2%B056'15.2%22W/@53.0012892,-2.9397567,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d53.0012861!4d-2.9375684

Naff all else on it, you can see over hedges etc, for the most part to check for tractors coming into tthe road.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

<duplicate post>

Last edited by The Shaggy D.A. on 22:04 - 06 Jan 2019; edited 2 times in total

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
YBR speedo is driven from the front wheel, not the gearbox, so the lack of change in what that is displaying is probably down to the cable needing a lube Smile

Sorry to question but are you SURE the speedo is driven from the front wheel?

They were on the two I had Smile You can see it on left hand side of the front wheel.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/ybr5.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/ybr_custom_3.jpg

I was 20st when I had them, the Custom was slightly slower due to the smaller rear wheel - the rear sprocket is different to the standard to counteract this, but it's not quite the same ratio. Both speedos were about 5mph out, and indicated 75 on the standard was just over 68mph :-

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=98395

Quite likely I'll have another. Thrashed the arse off them everywhere, and still didn't drop below 100mpg Smile

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably worn speedo drive or sticking cable. Either replace or stick a bicycle speedo on, I had one of these on my Enfield :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KC2402/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[edit] Or buy used for much cheap, very wow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000KC2402/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Probably worn speedo drive or sticking cable.

Emphasis mine.

I chucked a load of penetrating oil down it. It freed up after some wiggling and running in. Especially so if it's been stood or unridden.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=326544
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1