Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike that hasn't had its first break in

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

timtimtim1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:19 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Bike that hasn't had its first break in Reply with quote

Hi,

I've found a ninja 650 for a good price.

Unfortunately it has done 5000 km and the first service has yet to be completed.

Would the bike have significant engine damage at this point?

Quite on the fence about getting it at this stage.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage of equipment is a significant factor.
If it was stored 'properly' Tires over pressured and the frame lifted off the tires, the engine oil refreshed, All holes plugged, shoved in a air-tight-ish crate/container with possibly some desicant bags used
then it should be worry free. Fresh oil, adjust the tire pressures (or fit new) and ride off into the sunset.

If nothing of the above have been considered then Caveat Emptor.

Could be a pig in a poke.

Oil will oxidise, absorb moisture, wash off surfaces etc. That may encourage corrosion.
Tires will deteriorate over time and wil be shagged if a load if placed on them they can go out of round.

But Barn-Finds are always interesting.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would normal use have damaged it? Take it for a ride and do the usual checks.

timtimtim1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's no issue that the first service is 4000 km overdue (ie it still has the break in oil in it from the factory)?

Just needs a fresh service?

I figured you may have issues given you'd have all that metal floating around for 4000 extra km's?

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Storage of equipment is a significant factor.
If it was stored 'properly' Tires over pressured and the frame lifted off the tires, the engine oil refreshed, All holes plugged, shoved in a air-tight-ish crate/container with possibly some desicant bags used
then it should be worry free. Fresh oil, adjust the tire pressures (or fit new) and ride off into the sunset.

If nothing of the above have been considered then Caveat Emptor.

Could be a pig in a poke.

Oil will oxidise, absorb moisture, wash off surfaces etc. That may encourage corrosion.
Tires will deteriorate over time and wil be shagged if a load if placed on them they can go out of round.

But Barn-Finds are always interesting.

No mention of this being a barn find.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:40 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's dodgy as hell... The first service is the most critical. I'd probably avoid it if I were you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

timtimtim1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:40 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much of a barn find as it is a 2016 bike.

It has been garaged its whole life, just never been serviced... ever.

Only has 5000 kms though...

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know it has definitely not had one? It could have been done but not by a main dealer or done and not stamped.

timtimtim1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner had no idea it required a first service at 1000 km.

The dealer never explained it to them it seems.

The owner doesn't know much about bikes but is happy to get it serviced immediately by a mechanic as they didn't know (but it will be a very late service!)

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds suspicious.
It's a big bike. If they've ridden it then they've surely ridden other bikes too?
Even if they simply went through bike lessons and tests to be able to ride it, the training will surely have taught about maintenance (not the absent parent type).

For me I'm out. It's your money though.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:06 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Sounds suspicious.
It's a big bike. If they've ridden it then they've surely ridden other bikes too?
Even if they simply went through bike lessons and tests to be able to ride it, the training will surely have taught about maintenance (not the absent parent type).

For me I'm out. It's your money though.

Agreed.

I bought an ER6 for the GF a couple of years back. The guy who owned it didn't like it because it scared him. The front tyre was square, the heated grips were fitted in such a way that you couldn't open the throttle fully. Even he had the first service done on it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's anything special about the oil it's supplied with.
It's just that at least historically there's a chance of bits of metal swarf from machining being flushed through into the bottom of the crankcase and filter.
After a few hundred miles an oil change should get rid of that, the mechanic would pay particular attention to any debris found in case any assembly problems were revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

timtimtim1 wrote:

Oh just omit vital details. Rolling Eyes

2016, 5k miles? Get it serviced and it will be fine.

Awww.... There are other details we haven't had revealed?

The bike is a stolen-recovered-insurance write-off The current owner is a Ghey, Muslim Transjendar Disclekzik Pole.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, a not-mechanically-minded neighbour bought a Vauxhall Cavalier car new when they retired and never had it serviced at all, just ran it until some strange noises were noticed at about 100,000 miles.
He did top the oil up.
It went in for investigation and was written off with sludge having blocked various oilways and wearing parts badly scored.

Thing is it still lasted about ten years and he saved thousands on servicing. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:23 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the owner didn't realise that the bike needs servicing, I wonder what other mistakes they've made.

Getting it serviced immediately won't undo damage that's already been done.

The bike would need to be very, very well priced for me to consider taking a chance on it.

So keep looking for a different bike to buy. Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja 650 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOVGu_fEIU

ER6F - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyUQrKUPn8A

Same but different.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how much cheaper you can get it than another example of an ER6 in excellent condition. Let's face it it's not hard to find several other ER6's without much effort is it?

As Ste said, it'd need to be a steal to buy over another much better equivalent bike, it's not like your looking for an RC30 or RG500 is it.

For a beat to death price I'd consider it if:

1, Cosmetics are spotless and it's never been dropped and has no signs of corrosion etc.

2, If you can do any work required yourself to re-comission it and do a full service or any remedial work. Its going to want new tyres, all fluids and filters changed, and a comprehensive service for piece of mind. The cost of all that at the least needs to come off the purchase price, then there's your effort and time.

Otherwise walk on by to the next shiny ER6.

timtimtim1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:47 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
timtimtim1 wrote:

Oh just omit vital details. Rolling Eyes

2016, 5k miles? Get it serviced and it will be fine.

Awww.... There are other details we haven't had revealed?

The bike is a stolen-recovered-insurance write-off The current owner is a Ghey, Muslim Transjendar Disclekzik Pole.

Apologies, I didn't mean to leave off key details, was just typing it up in a hurry trying to figure out which direction to go in.

Bike appeared to be in great condition, wouldn't have hesitated till I found out it did not have the service done.

I'll scour for other ones but none are around its price range.

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a bike not run for 14 years, started fine with a new plug. Changed the oil and it runs like a dream. The Ninja will have an oil filter in any case. I would service it and enjoy, loved my one.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:28 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to the advert?

And how much cheaper is it than other ones?

The bike will appear to be in great condition right up until the point where it needs expensive work doing to the engine.

If the owner is saying that the dealer didn't tell him when the bike needed servicing, does that mean he was never going to have it serviced? Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the owner is that clueless would be enough for me to walk. It's not a rare bike.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:01 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk away.
It has missed the most important service. It has no warranty. It has no resale value.

It is possible that it's fine. I don't know if this bike ships with mineral oil which is only meant to stay in until the first service. It is also possible that it isn't fine. If I was buying an ER6 and paying the premium of having one quite new, it would be for peace of mind and resale value.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Bike that hasn't had its first break in Reply with quote

timtimtim1 wrote:
Hi,

Unfortunately it has done 5000 km and the first service has yet to be completed.

So it's missed TWO services, walk away.....

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Bike that hasn't had its first break in Reply with quote

timtimtim1 wrote:

What is the "good price"? If it holds a decent amount of oil, I might be very tempted if it sounds OK at the bottom end (using a bit of stick or WHY), and still has a decent amount of oil in it..

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

5,000 km is what, 3,000 miles? I would use missed services as a bargaining tool and if you can get a bargain, have it without a second thought about the oil or engine condition.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1