Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Slim Fitting Textile Trousers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Slim Fitting Textile Trousers Reply with quote

Quite specific this one, i'm after some half decent quality SLIM FITTING textile trousers, which seems like a bit of an impossibility, unless i'm looking in the wrong places

Basically, i'm wanting to do more riding this year, and most of my kit consists of kevlar jeans and leather jackets, i bought an RST Blade textile jacket (which i liked) and to match i bought the RST Blade textile trousers to match (and zip together), but the trousers legs are like tree trunks, and not only look daft, they flap around at any kind of speed on the bike (i ride a naked Hornet, no wind protection), also, the pockets are next to useless, can't really fit anything in them, and awkward to access

Once i've got the trousers sorted, i can then start looking at a matching jacket, but need the trousers sorting 1st

TL:DR I'm after some slim fitting (or adjustable), waterproof/resistant textile trousers, with decent pockets, ideally under £150

Anyone got any recommendations?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got ya here. Alpinestars Patron GTX. Slim fitting leg.

Looking around now, they're over your budget more but I managed to get mine from Get Geared for 165 (ish).

Removable insulated lining but no other venting so may be quite warm in the summer but then you likely wouldn't need to wear them in the warm dry(er) summer as often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I've got ya here. Alpinestars Patron GTX. Slim fitting leg.

Looking around now, they're over your budget more but I managed to get mine from Get Geared for 165 (ish).

Removable insulated lining but no other venting so may be quite warm in the summer but then you likely wouldn't need to wear them in the warm dry(er) summer as often.

Cheers, i'll have a look into those, and glad i'm not the only one with this issue

They'd be mainly for Winter/Autumn riding anyway, as my jeans do a good enough job in the Summer (plus, i have some over trousers under the seat)

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Cheers, i'll have a look into those, and glad i'm not the only one with this issue

They'd be mainly for Winter/Autumn riding anyway, as my jeans do a good enough job in the Summer (plus, i have some over trousers under the seat)

I'm 6 ft 2 and weigh the grand sum of nowt. Long n gangly but these trousers fit great. Looking at the tag under my desk, they're XL. I'm about a 33" waist and usually have a "long" fitting, these don't have different leg lengths, that I could find anyway, and they fit great. probably an extra 2 or 3 inches length on my old HG trousers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Dainese Drake Air Tex, they are slim fitting (Italian styling or some shit like that) In fact I wear them in the office pretty much all the time since they look smart.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like i need to be looking at Italian clothing then........ there goes my budget, lol

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
I use Dainese Drake Air Tex, they are slim fitting (Italian styling or some shit like that) In fact I wear them in the office pretty much all the time since they look smart.

Just looked at them, they do look smart, and normal looking pockets too, and they decent in the wet then, i'm not expecting to be out in monsoons, but would want them to withstand a reasonably raining ride

Think i might have to try some of them out

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

These particular ones are not waterproof. You want something like the Dainese Tempest D Dry or Dainese Travelguard for that, which are also the same styling.

I use a pair of Berghaus over-trousers that open up right down the leg to just whip on over them when it's anything more than a bit of drizzle.

I do end up sounding like a Dainese salesman but I will say that over the years I have found their gear to be incredibly durable. My current pair of trousers and jacket have lasted two years of daily commuting and still look great with no faults, tears or malfunctions.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
These particular ones are not waterproof. You want something like the Dainese Tempest D Dry or Dainese Travelguard for that, which are also the same styling.

I use a pair of Berghaus over-trousers that open up right down the leg to just whip on over them when it's anything more than a bit of drizzle.

I do end up sounding like a Dainese salesman but I will say that over the years I have found their gear to be incredibly durable. My current pair of trousers and jacket have lasted two years of daily commuting and still look great with no faults, tears or malfunctions.

Bugger, those waterproof ones are getting rather expensive, and i'd ideally want to twin that with a similar jacket, might have to keep looking

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, it's not that cheap but the way i see it is good quality last twice as long. Cry once, buy once.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:

They look nice. £133 here

https://www.motocard.com/en/pants-2/dainese-drake_super_air_tex_nero_nero_631.aspx

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit the bullet and went for some Dainese Tempest D-Dry trousers for £150 off eBay (Dainese D-Store outlet) took a bit of a pint in the size as it's all odd Euro sizes, and there doesn't seem to be many around in my size (34" waist), but luckily PayPal are still offering free returns, so no problem if they aren't right

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a skinny-legged individual I've been wearing Wolf Nimbus leather jeans for years, the last pair being bought maybe four years ago (so I can't comment on the current fitting.) If you want(ed) waterproof buy some thin plastic over-trousers and stash them under the seat. I tried an alternative brand a while ago (Furygan, I think) but I looked like Baron Von Richthofen.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it does seem to be a very under catered for market, and it's not like they can't make slimmer fitting trousers, as most "lady" trousers are slimmer in the legs

Fingers crossed the Dainese ones fit, then i just need to get a matching jacket, or at least a jacket with the same zip

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use Infinity for trying on odd Euro sizes. I'll then throw them a 'match that and I'll buy it from you' but usually get a flat no because the prices I've quoted are from suppliers outside the UK such as Motocard etc.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
I usually use Infinity for trying on odd Euro sizes. I'll then throw them a 'match that and I'll buy it from you' but usually get a flat no because the prices I've quoted are from suppliers outside the UK such as Motocard etc.

Never heard of Infinity, so i've just had a look, will have to keep that site bookmarked

Looks like those range of trousers are being phased out, as it's showing various sizes not as discontinued

They haven't got any in my size anyway, which is probably not a bad thing as they are cheaper than what i have just paid anyway

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can find any dainese galvestone for the same price send them back and get those instead, I worked in a Dainese shop for 11 years and the goretex is far better than the D-Dry, inside and out

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:
if you can find any dainese galvestone for the same price send them back and get those instead, I worked in a Dainese shop for 11 years and the goretex is far better than the D-Dry, inside and out

Thanks for the heads up, but i think for my needs (and already stretched budget) i will stick with the D-Dry, i'll certainly bear it in mind if these don't fit though

I don't doubt that the Gore-Tex will be superior, but it comes at a pretty hefty premium, and i'm at least hoping that the D-Dry will still be better than more budget friendly brands

EDIT: just looked on eBay, not as bad as i thought, can get the Galvestone trousers for around £200 (paid £150 for the Tempest D-Dry), and more sizes available in the Galvestones

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

andys675 wrote:

You might actually be able to answer my next question

Any idea what connection zips Dainese use, or if zips are availablele to be bought separately (to sew into existing jacket, rather than having to buy a new jacket)

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:33 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

D dry is good for waterproofing, very similar to goretex. However unless it is bonded on the outer layer, it will have high water absorbency. It will take ages for the outer to dry, smell, and be cold to wear while damp. I would not recommend. If the outer pockets will be outside of the DDry liner, contents will get soaked. More problem on a jacket, but solved with nikiwax spray.

The connection zip is a fine pitch one.
Other zips, ankle closure/pockets did not last long for any of my 4 pieces.

Spada Nero (leathers), are a much better choice.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1