Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB 500 cut out problems

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

travster8
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:08 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Honda CB 500 cut out problems Reply with quote

Hi all, I have recently bought a Honda CB 500 2000 reg. I've been loving it so far seen passing my A2 license however there have been a few things off with it. I understand it is old however, its been well maintained and is an old trainer bike I'm the second owner. Its also ranked up 100,000 miles.

The problem is around every 25 miles it will just cut out on my while driving I lose all power from the engine and goes to just the ignition being on. I'll pull my clutch in pull over as I slow and put it into neutral the dash remains on however it wont turn over until a few minutes later (pressing the start switch does nothing) so I'm guessing its electrical as also my right blinker occasionally blinks very quickly and I'm not sure why. If anyone has any insight to this id really appreciate it as I'm clueless right now, its a real safety concern because if this happens when I'm over taking I'm in trouble! Embarassed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:29 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you change it into neutral, does the neutral light stay on? When it cuts out, does the rev counter drop to zero before you pull the clutch in or does it continue to show a reading?

After it dies, see if it'll turn over if you hold the clutch in while pressing the starter?

A few componants could be at fault here. The kill switch, the ignition switch, the clutch switch and the sidestand switch spring to mind. The last one would be a major suspect with a 100k bike at this time of year.

I'm going with those because there are many things that would lock out the starter and there are many things that would kill the spark, but there is a relatively short list of things that would do both.

Intermittant faults are such fun. SO testing componants isn't necessarily going to help either.

So if it were me, I'd get myself a can of WD40 with astraw. I'd give all those switches a damned good soaking in the stuff and a wiggle through their movement range. I'd then test them with a multimeter to check they are making/breaking good contact before finishing off with a squirt of silicone grease (the latter is a new thing to me but a good thing to do. If you're just rocking WD40, stick with that).

A flasher flashing too fast means there is a reduced current load on it. It may be one of the bulbs is cutting out intermittantly.

Also worth a good look at the wiring loom for signs of wear and exposed/intermittantly shorting wires. Especially where it runs past the headstock. A riding school bike will have seen a lot more steering movement than most.

EDIT: It's also the time of year for spontaneous battery death. I wonder if it's charging. Does it turn the engine over powerfully when it starts or is it sluggish?

If you don't have a multimeter, get one. They are cheap, you don't need anything fancy for motorcycle electrics at this level. Be interesting to know what the battery voltage is just after it's cut out and it will come in handy for a lot of other electrical fault-finding tests you may need to do.

travster8
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:36 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Thanks for the responce Reply with quote

Hi Stinkwheel,
Yes the light stays on and my headlights do too, there is still power in the dash etc.
I'm sure its not the sidestand switch as that was giving me a problem until I fixed a new spring to the sidestand now its fine Smile
The others could be at fault.

Thanks for the tips ill give the switches a look over tomorrow, ill also check the wiring of the right indicator.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:54 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the responce Reply with quote

travster8 wrote:

I'm sure its not the sidestand switch as that was giving me a problem until I fixed a new spring to the sidestand now its fine Smile

Now I'm even more suspicious of it. It's in fact now my #1 suspect until proven otherwise. A new spring doesn't mean its working. It can also lock out both your starter and ignition.

To test, you want continuity between the white on green and green with it up and between the black on yellow and green with it down. The stand warning light doesn't necessarily mean the switch is working either, it makes and breaks a connection in each position.

If it were me, I'd bridge between the green and the white on green wires with a bent paperclip temporarily and see if the problem goes away.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidestand switches are a nightmare. Low down and fully in harms way to the elements.
The fact that it's started doing this around the time of replacement makes me think it's the sidestand switch too.

Lots of people bypass the switches because even something simple such as going over a bump can move the stand a bit and kill the engine.
Makes me wonder if the correct strength of spring was used when replacing?
(Either way I'd try a switch bypass to see if it fixes things)

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Lots of people bypass the switches because even something simple such as going over a bump can move the stand a bit and kill the engine.

Seriously?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 09 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:

Seriously?

Yes.

My work rat had one. It cut out over fairly small bumps, let alone big ones. It's not fun starting your engine while doing 50. It got binned in it's entirety, and the wires labeled and soldered together where they exit the main loom. The Honda's seems to be okay, but I'll do the same in a heartbeat if it needs it.

I know many, many others that have issues with sidestand switches. Standard advice is nuke it from orbit, don't be a mong and ride off with it down.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ This.

It's a standard 'fix' on a lot of trail bikes (supermotos too) because the longer side stand means smaller bumps can affect the switch more.
I don't even think it's an MOT requirement? Probably more of a stupidness requirement!

travster8
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: I think it’s the kill switch Reply with quote

I understand why the sidestand switch might be the main culprit but I’ve gone over other bumps and not had a problem. However, when it cut out my thumb was near the kill switch.
I had a look at it, and just by touching the switch it cuts out without even flicking it off, minor contact on the switch (with it still switched on, cuts the engine).
Therefore I think it’s the kill switch being very sensitive, could anyone suggest any fixes?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:21 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: I think it’s the kill switch Reply with quote

travster8 wrote:
I understand why the sidestand switch might be the main culprit but I’ve gone over other bumps and not had a problem. However, when it cut out my thumb was near the kill switch.
I had a look at it, and just by touching the switch it cuts out without even flicking it off, minor contact on the switch (with it still switched on, cuts the engine).
Therefore I think it’s the kill switch being very sensitive, could anyone suggest any fixes?

Squirt loads of WD40 into it. Switch it on and off repeatedly. Squirt loads more WD40 into it, wiggle it more.

If that doesn't work, get another switch off ebay.

If you can be bothered, most of those honda switches can be dismantled and rebuilt again. You need watchmakers screwdrivers, patience and good eyesight.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 100 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1