BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Second Bike Suggestions Please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the most horsepower you can afford to buy and insure. BHP is king on an everyday bike, the more the better.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:24 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i did my DAS instructor said same to me.

Got CBF1000 and found it ideal, i commute on it, I've done 5000 miles on it in last year and yes i did some "Oh yeah I'll make it overtakes" in first few weeks, but now I'm used to it and judge things a lot better.

I'm 17-18 stone and 6'2

lots of low down torque, don't really have to change gear after 40mph, more fun if you do though.

Its not the fastest/most powerful bike in the world but its more than enough for your first big bike. you be surprised what it can keep up with.

should be fairly cheap
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
And thanks to everyone for all your input.

As I said I think I'm looking at big engine sports tourer and hope I don't kill myself. There's a few ZX-12R for around the £2,000 mark I might have a look at those. According to MCN they're better than the Blackbird and the Hayabusa but yeah that's probably subjective! Could get either for under £3,000 or even a ZZR1400!

Shocked

I would think very carefully before committing to a purchase - these are seriously powerful bikes and I think something like a ZX-12R, or a CBR1100XX, is not a good choice for a second bike! You saying you're riding a YBR125 at the moment (I think?) - that's got what, 12bhp or something? You're talking about going from 12bhp to, in the case of the ZX-12R, in the region of 180bhp. That's a phenomenal increase, like going from a milk float to a Bugatti Veyron. Have you checked insurance too on these sorts of bikes? I'd be looking at something 100bhp at the most if I were you, that's loads of power for road use.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

New rear shock (it's a given it'll need doing on a ZZR1100), change the fork oil, and I reckon it'll stick with most things, the rider rather than bike being the limit. If the OP's a tinkerer, then that's fairly easy to do. Insurance may have other idea's though.

That's a bit over simplistic given the age and condition of most ZZR's now. What about if all the chassis bearings are shot which on a big heavy fast bike they probably will be by now, and if the brakes have gone off or warped the discs and seized calipers.

It makes your new shock seem a cheap and easy job. I ain't no wimp but I'm absolutely not interested in riding a bike the weight and power of a ZZR without the brakes and chassis being as good as new. I also know if I bought one I'd easily spend 2-3 times the purchase price making it safe and making it work well if it was a rough one.

The most power and engine size/torque you can afford and fuck how it handles, as cc/speed for a basement budget price tag is all that matters to a new rider? Can't think of anything I'd enjoy less or of a bike I'd much rather leave out to rot in my back garden.

A CB500 with a Maxton front and rear end, 4pot front caliper and some good tyres would be so much more fun for me than a 150bhp Jelly on wheels that I can't afford to fix or justify the spend I'd want to throw at it making it perfect.

Seems like because the OP is 20St we all think he needs well over 1000cc just to get out of his Street? Rolling Eyes

And to OP, in my opinion i think the Honda CBR1100XX is a much better all round do everything road bike than a ZX12R. The one good thing that bike is good for is very tall people that are trying to fit on the closest thing they can get to a sportsbike much like the early RSV1000 which fills that brief far better IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I would think very carefully before committing to a purchase - these are seriously powerful bikes and I think something like a ZX-12R, or a CBR1100XX, is not a good choice for a second bike! You saying you're riding a YBR125 at the moment (I think?) - that's got what, 12bhp or something? You're talking about going from 12bhp to, in the case of the ZX-12R, in the region of 180bhp. That's a phenomenal increase, like going from a milk float to a Bugatti Veyron. Have you checked insurance too on these sorts of bikes? I'd be looking at something 100bhp at the most if I were you, that's loads of power for road use.

Agreed.

Your lack of a motorcycle NCD (presuming you haven't been riding the YBR long?) and motorcycle license pass date will seriously affect your insurance premiums on the higher powered bikes.

Best to do some online price comparisons first before you find out the insurance is the same cost as the bike!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Seems like because the OP is 20St we all think he needs well over 1000cc just to get out of his Street? Rolling Eyes

^this. I knew a big lad who commuted on a Derbi Terra 125, not sure how much he weighed but he bought the bike as he kept snapping belts on his Kymco Smile

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:57 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats (belated) on the pass Very Happy Very Happy

I went mid-weight, got my first big bike last week (Bandit 600). Got some solid 125 experience, but even after the bit of training for mod 1 and 2 didn't feel confident enough to go for anything bigger as next bike Embarassed

To be fair I am getting used to the 600 quite quickly but can see a huge new learning curve opening up, especially on the curvier bits of road.

Initially I felt a few nerves regarding test rides (600cc was enough) but got over that now and looking forward to getting a ride somehow on one those big boys.

Remains to be seen if I will look back in the future wishing I started on something bigger, let us know how you get on when you get one Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:02 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
my 476bhp Audi A8 6.0 W12

Travis Bickle wrote:
I done my DAS on a 72bhp ER6 and felt perfectly comfortable and confident on it.

Travis Bickle wrote:
I kinda feel like I'm being patronised "oooh no you mustn't get anything too powerful, you won't be able to handle it" almost like there's a rite of passage one must undergo (like riding a 600 for 10 years) before one can be allowed on a litre bike LOL

Travis Bickle wrote:
Other than exercising a bit of discipline and self control on the right wrist and not taking the bends too quickly, I'm not sure what else there can be to it. But maybe I'm just showing my ignorance here.

To be absolutely honest with you, yeah, you're in line for an attitude readjustment.

You have just passed your mod 2 - a 30-minute road-ride at legal limits to show you're not a hazard on the road. You have no racing experience.

This means that an experienced rider on a 1970s CB350 could embarrass you even if you were riding a Kawa H2. Our roads are not straight American roads. Any fool can wind it open but we have REAL bends, gravel, grease, autumn leaves, oncoming traffic, etc. A little humility might be in order. Try a group ride or IAM. Could you hang with me on my boring old 600? Doubt it tbh. I studied and improved with a huge amount of effort, research and practice, and I'm still only just above average, probably, and that's because I keep it up in the winter.

Sorry but anyone can buy something, but in these days of GoPro etc. you can be asked to prove it if you're such a hotshot. Frankly I think a bit more humility is in order.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Pal, but if it's adventure bikes you like the look of, riding position of and features of, then you should go out and test ride a few, to confirm that feeling/hunch or preference. Assuming you find them as comfortable and ideal as you think you will, then at least you have narrowed down and focused your bike search on a shortlist of criteria meeting machines.

Your reasoning for buying a ZZR 1400 with the above in mind is ridiculous and saying well Ive considered X bike just because it's 197bhp for £3000 as if you're somehow getting more or better bike for your money, smacks of both immaturity, and of someone who hasn't been riding over 6months already. In that time and mileage since passing your test you should have a pretty good idea of what your YBR replacement needs to have that you don't have now, and also what kind of style of bike you like, and what kind of riding your likely to do.

The ZZR14 or equivalent IMO is a terrible town bike, daft and uncomfortable for commuting, and 1400cc is going to drink fuel just bimbling around from the size of the engine. These bikes have a fairly long stretched out riding position and are heavy on the wrists at town traffic speeds. IMO the reason they exist is to smash out crossing European countries in a few hours two up, with soft luggage and are probably the most comfortable thing for two up tucked in 130mph+ travelling for several hours.

Also you talk about 180bhp like it's an important target for your next bike to have, yet I don't hear you mention weight? Weight has more bearing on how a bike feels to ride and it's character than power alone does. There's a whole world of difference in how a 30-40bhp/100kg bike rides, compared to a 200bhp/230kg bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:29 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

I do believe my road awareness has got to be in the top 1% of drivers on the road

To be fair, quite glad we don't drive or ride the same roads, usually, confidence is good, over confidence and arrogance.. well...

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just struggling with the fact that first off you don't know what you want? And secondly you seem to think you need to buy a bike that's for life or that you'll be stuck with for years hence wanting a 1400cc sports tourer.

All I know is that when I decide on what kind of bike I want, I've never been able to say "Oh I'll just get this other type of totally different bike, because there's more for sale and it's more bhp/weight/cc for the money" etc.

If for example I wanted say an RGV250, or an XR650R then it wouldn't matter if I could buy two ZZR1400's for half the price, they just arnt going to cut it if my mind is on something else. I'd I had to travel up and down the country and look for months or longer to find said RGV or XR then I'd do so if that's the bikes I wanted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6