Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Second Bike Suggestions Please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things that this guy is saying aren't adding up!

Think it might be someone on the wind-up.... Laughing
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

Thanks for your input. I am thinking very carefully, that's why I'm on here asking for advice when I'm still at least a couple of months away from my purchase. Yep currently pottering around on a 10bhp YBR (although I've recently spent nearly £1,000 on tuning it to get it up to 10bhp!). Yes that's correct, that's not a typo', it's now still only 10bhp LOL.

I think the remark(s) from people/me about 100bhp being enough, is that while you might feel that you had felt the limit (or at least, feel you could see it) on the bike you were learning on, I suspect in reality you were a long way away from it, as indeed are most riders (which is why people who crash when they loose it more often than not do so because they panic as they think the bike can't do what it'll take).

Forums are great for "in-articulating" concepts . . . what may come across (from anyone) as patronising isn't necessarily intended that way. From my point of view, I think there's more value in learning your craft on something more humble then once you've honed your skills, that would be the point to progress to something more powerful (if you still felt the need to).

FWIW, the bikes you were talking about originally would (pun intended) run four rings around your Audi . . . it'd be a spec in your mirrors in no time. That's how fast they are. The difference is, in the Audi if you plant your right foot, it doesn't matter what gear you're in or probably even if it's wet or not, it'll accelerate without drama - do the same on the bikes you're on about and it is likely to have a very different (and more painful) outcome.

It's your choice ultimately, but I would still suggest something pretty "moderate" to start with; you can always upgrade at a later date. Power is almost never the limiting factor when riding on the roads once you're over 50bhp or so.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Of course I know full well those bikes will run rings round my Audi. STOP PATRONISING ME I'M VERY SENSITIVE!!! Damn where's that tongue-in-cheek emoticon again???!!!

They'll run four rings around it Wink

Travis Bickle wrote:

Without test riding anything I THINK I'm pretty set on an adventure style bike. Even if I do what you say and go for a smaller one say a 600 to 800 or something but I like the look of that BMW!

Also I have noticed that the adventure bikes of similar displacement to their sports tourer counterparts tend to be lower power and torque anyway...

Yeah that's very much down to the power characteristics of the engines, more low down grunt and less rev happy (typical of adventure bikes); my 900cc Street Twin is "only" 54bhp, but it's got about 60 ft lbs of torque, so it shifts along quite nicely. Very much personal preference (you need to test ride different bikes to get a feel for it really); I love the wave of torque on my Street Twin, no frantic gear changes. Some folk aren't bothered about that and instead love chasing the rev limiter. Each to their own . . . Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

Sorry to come back to this one but it's grating on me LOL. As if recognising one's strengths somehow makes you arrogant and overconfident, and therefore actually not as good as you thought you were? Nah it is actually possible to recognise your own strengths without going round doing what you think you're good at carelessly and therefore doing it less well... If that makes any sense... Which I don't think it does... If your intention was to annoy me with that comment congratulations are in order LOL!

SOMEONE has to be in that top 1% but we're just expected to keep quiet about it just to save rubbing the other 99% up the wrong way? Haha. Most could probably beat me round Brands Hatch, I'm not saying that isn't the case, I'm just saying with the sheer number of miles I've done over the past 13 years that has to count for something.

Passed every test I've ever taken first time including both HGV, PSV and motorcycle. Nuff said but of course you're not allowed to say you think you're good at something without someone picking you up on it and calling you arrogant/overconfident... Buuut like I also said when I came out with that comment I was well aware how I was coming across and didn't expect anything less really.

Recognising your strengths is all well and good, and just because you've taken a few simple tests, you assume that now entitles you to claim to be in the top 1% of drivers. Using what measure, or, have you crayoned up yourself a certificate to say so.. And, no, the number of miles you've racked up over the last 13 years, doesn't count for anything, certainly doesn't mean you are in the top 1% of drivers..

You may well be a good driver, perhaps even an excellent driver, but there is no way you can quantify,qualify or verify that you are indeed in the top 1% of drivers, and the very fact that YOU believe you are is what makes you a danger.

Andy12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:31 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, im new, very i interested in this thread as I may have just made a huge mistake hehe, I passed my mod1&2 on wednesday

i really like the look of bonnevilles and even harleys so ive been going into lots of shops and sitting on them, I want to commute on the bike I buy and my neighbour has little kids so dont think I should be firing up a loud engine at 6am under their window so in a bit of a quandry over what to buy as my 2nd bike, my first bike was also a ybr but have only had it a month so a very new or noob? Biker.

Im 48 and might be having a mid life crisis but think I am just sick of traffic (1.5 hour to do 11 mile trip home)

So anyway, to my mistake?...

I was looking at bikes at a second hand shop and they had a really cheap nice looking V-strom dl1000, £2500 39k miles, the fella offered me a test ride, oh my god, it was lovely! Like perfect! Im 6’2 16st and fitted me like a glove, like riding on a cloud so I bought it!

Now ive read this thread im kinda crapping myself, just waiting for a new mot to collect, am I toast? Is it possible to take it easy?

Andy12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:36 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add, i was with a colleague who thought it was a great bike for me.

He also thinks its a great idea to do 160mph wheelies and has broken most of his bones, this never came to mind when asking his advice in the shop

My plan is to commute of the vstrom and buy a weekend retro

Andy12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:07 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe yes it sure seemed like a good idea, dont test drive one unless youve decided its the right bike, its riding position is brilliant (in my very very uneducated and inexperienced point of view)

Unfortunately I cant do the F the neighbours thing, not my way, “do unto others” and all that

Andy12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:27 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent ALL night last night looking at reviews, both written and videos and everyone seems to be good, apart from some squishy front forks its an across the board “great bike” apparently.

I am going to try and ride it safely, Ijust feel getting out of the drag race at traffic lights will be safer that my current bike, on saying that a 500 would probly do that job too.

Heres hoping

Andy12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:28 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After owning (wifes) and repairing a bmw x5 for years I am put off bmws, but im sure they are nice, I have sat on a few

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/handmade-red-sock-puppet-picture-id182148004?k=6&m=182148004&s=612x612&w=0&h=ljx3YobFx0RFk4u1OjKg1uVsA2-IBTM3faTGzBgWSy4=

X2 I reckon

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:46 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that one.

I'm not calling it a balloon yet.

Andy12345
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:16 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After googling “forum sock puppet” I believe we have just been accused of being the same person

Weird welcome, but heyho, goodbye
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 103 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6