Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Second Bike Suggestions Please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:27 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy12345 wrote:
After googling “forum sock puppet” I believe we have just been accused of being the same person

Weird welcome, but heyho, goodbye

Greetings. We're not always so nice to newbies. Razz
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't go yet...there's much more ranting to come!

Tall tourer bikes are not 'adventure' bikes. At the moment, there isn't a factory one, the ktm640 adventure was the closest we ever got. The new mt07tenere thing might just be the 'one'! A ktm690/husky 701 that isn't 8 foot tall would be great. The 790 is into the 800xcx or 850gs weight bracket.

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, just joined to post a reply to this thread lol

I passed 3 yr ago, also a 20nstone trucker Very Happy

Just get the bike you want no matter how powerful it is. If you’ve been riding your ybf or whatever it is you have road experience and can control a bike. As for the power, the throttle goes both ways and the fear will keep to alive.

I got an mt09 tracer for my first bike in 2015. It absolutely scared me beyond words. The first time I went out on it after sorting my insurance the day I passed, I literally had tears in my eyes and I was thinking wtf have I done, I’m going to die and not see my kids grow up Very Happy after 3 months of bumbling and nursing it around I started to tip it in properly and get on the power correctly, trail brake smoothly and just got better and better. After about 8 months I would go out with my mates who have been riding 20 years and almost keep up with them out in the twisties on their r1 /gsxr 750. I got rid of that last year and got a cheaper fzs1000. This bike is absolutely epic. Fast as an r1 but more comfortable than my tracer lol. I’d strongly recommend getting a mk1 fazer 1000. It’s the ultimate all rounder, I’ll never sell it Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinka wrote:

I got an mt09 tracer for my first bike in 2015. It absolutely scared me beyond words. The first time I went out on it after sorting my insurance the day I passed, I literally had tears in my eyes

I had the opposite reaction - a manic grin plastered all over me mug (Kawasaki 750 Turbo as first big bike). But then, I'm stupid Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 17 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Sorry Pal

That's a Paddlin'

Tut Tut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Stinka wrote:
Hi mate, just joined to post a reply to this thread lol

I passed 3 yr ago, also a 20nstone trucker Very Happy

Just get the bike you want no matter how powerful it is. If you’ve been riding your ybf or whatever it is you have road experience and can control a bike. As for the power, the throttle goes both ways and the fear will keep to alive.

I got an mt09 tracer for my first bike in 2015. It absolutely scared me beyond words. The first time I went out on it after sorting my insurance the day I passed, I literally had tears in my eyes and I was thinking wtf have I done, I’m going to die and not see my kids grow up Very Happy after 3 months of bumbling and nursing it around I started to tip it in properly and get on the power correctly, trail brake smoothly and just got better and better. After about 8 months I would go out with my mates who have been riding 20 years and almost keep up with them out in the twisties on their r1 /gsxr 750. I got rid of that last year and got a cheaper fzs1000. This bike is absolutely epic. Fast as an r1 but more comfortable than my tracer lol. I’d strongly recommend getting a mk1 fazer 1000. It’s the ultimate all rounder, I’ll never sell it Smile

Thanks for that mate! Well I'm pretty set on an adventure style bike but not really fussed what it is at this point. Just if the right one comes along at the right price I guess. I've been looking at this Triumph Tiger 900 could probably get it for £2k but probably won't still be for sale when I've got the money. No doubt something else will be though so I'm easy Very Happy

My honest opinion on an old tiger 900 is don’t bother. Overpriced and likely to breakdown and piss oil out everywhere. I’d always buy a jap bike over an older triumph. Also they are very top heavy, especially with a decent amount of fuel in. If you want an adventure bike I’d consider a vstrom 1000 or xl1000 varadero before an old triumph. But I’d sooner have a bandit 1200 or fazer 1000 as they Handel better, go better and are comfortable

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Stinka wrote:
My honest opinion on an old tiger 900 is don’t bother. Overpriced and likely to breakdown and piss oil out everywhere. I’d always buy a jap bike over an older triumph. Also they are very top heavy, especially with a decent amount of fuel in. If you want an adventure bike I’d consider a vstrom 1000 or xl1000 varadero before an old triumph. But I’d sooner have a bandit 1200 or fazer 1000 as they Handel better, go better and are comfortable

Also, apologies for posting multiple times, but I was lead to believe that the Bandit is more of a sports tourer and the Fazer is more of a naked/street bike rather than an adventure???

The Fazer is a brilliant all-rounder - rag it, tour it, commute or just go for a lazy bimble. The fairing is reasonably effective - done plenty of motorway miles on mine in all weather with no major complaints in that regard.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/yamaha/2002-yamaha-fzs1000-fazer-sorry-yamaha
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Stinka wrote:

Also, apologies for posting multiple times, but I was lead to believe that the Bandit is more of a sports tourer and the Fazer is more of a naked/street bike rather than an adventure???

I mentioned the bandit/fazer as your primary need seems to be a bigger engined bike with a comfortable upright position. Many naked bikes are comfortable and even as comfortable as a big adventure bike, but without the extra weight that an adventure bike has. Personally I’d love an adventure bike but the only one I’d consider is a bmw gs as it has the low center of gravity with he boxer engine, but I can’t afford one so I’ll stick with my trust old fazer lol

Modern adventure bikes are on a different level to the first gen of so called adventure bikes, with your budget (of around £2000 ? ) I’d definitely be looking at a nice jap naked for a decent level of comfort, handling and performance

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Adventure bike..... just call them what they are. 'Tall tourers'. If everyone stops buying into the bullshit, maybe there'll be a decent 'Adventure bike' ....roll on the mt07 tenere with a 175kg wet weight. Or a Himalayan with the 650 engine at similar wet figures.

F0ulOli
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:40 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed reading this thread - but then, I've gone through this over the last 20 years and the honest truth is there is no perfect bike you can buy, and be happy with.

I'm not 20 st, but getting there and the one thing you possibly not considered is you weigh the same as two test riders! All those reviews are from people who think 80Kg is a bit heavy, so you are not going to get the same feedback on the bikes as you've read. Your weight is going to suck up the performance and handling more than you can possibly imagine.

For a first big bike, you need something 750 or larger - I would suggest a TDM900 or similar like a big VStrom . Its very comfortable for a fatty and light enough to feel controllable while still having the big number engine to impress your non bike riding buddies.

While a BMWR1200GS is such a popular bike, I wouldn't recommend it as a first bike. You need some experience to understand why people buy them, and its mostly because they are a good investment - ideal for being seen on and you get your money back at the end of the PCP if you don't ride it too much! The better bike is an ex police R1200RT - but its not cool, so people don't!

By today, I ride a very personalised SV650s - absolutely perfect for me, and not fast enough to lose my licence on, which would happen on a ZZR or a CBR or whatever.

Welcome to the world of being a biker!

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:00 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you not bought one yet! What are you waiting for? Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

The Fazer has recently been bought to my attention as has the TDM. I've also noticed that some bikes like the Fazer 600 have as much power and torque as some 1000cc bikes so all things should be considered. Some people seem to be raving about the Fazer, my uncle included who has moved from an SV650 to a Fazer 1000 and was complaining about the comfort of the SV650 after travelling round Europe on it but apparently the Fazer is so much more comfortable on longer distances and a very good all-rounder.

I went from an SV650 to the Fazer 1000 too, but i'd had many bikes before either. The SV was just me coming back to it cheaply after a couple of years sans bike. I took the SV on a week's tour of Wales, and it was bloody uncomfortable (bench-hard seat), among other problems which eventually put me right off it. And having had a good few other bikes, it was obvious the SV was only going to be a stop-gap for me.

The Fazer 1000 is definitely a big step up from the SV in every way though, just a much more serious bike. SVs really seem like bikes for novices to me. But your experiences (and perhaps tastes) are different to mine, so I would never tell someone this is definitely the bike for you - only you can decide that. But the Fazer certainly isn't the worst suggestion you could heed.

I've also ridden the Fazer 600 (FZS600), and it's a very good bike too. Just I've been used to large capacity machines, which suit me well generally.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:

Thanks again for the helpful input. I might be able to squeeze some funds out of my business a bit sooner than originally anticipated so I've been looking hard at bikes on AutoTrader over the last few days. I know colour should really be the last thing I should be concerned with but I'm after something in yellow (and black) to match my riding gear so that has been in the search criteria.

My previous one:

https://i.postimg.cc/jj09C9qX/DSCF6147.jpg

Mr. Green
(paint job wasn't standard).

Quote:
I'm looking at a 2002 Fazer 600 which looks quite nice and also if I step the budget up from £2,000 to £2,500 a 2009 CBF1000 appears in the search as well as a 2003 TDM900 which both also look quite nice. All three bikes get excellent reviews on MCN.

The Fazer is listed as a tourer on the advert but is a sports tourer according to MCN. Do you think this would be a comfortable and nimble bike round town?

The CBF is listed as a sports tourer on the advert and MCN but the handle bars look quite high to me. Do you think this too would be a comfortable and nimble bike round town despite it falling in the sports tourer category?

The TDM is described as an adventure on the advert but is a naked according to MCN but I'm assuming it would be ok for upright touring?

It's all so confusing!!! Of the three bikes the Fazer looks to be the more aggressive / lean forward position but everyone is saying how comfortable it is. Comments and opinions on all three bikes would be welcome from all.

The Fazer 600 I found comfortable, and also plenty nimble enough for town work. Plenty quick enough, and handle nicely too.

Never ridden a CBF1000, but from all I've read, I wouldn't personally have one, certainly not while the Fazer 1000 exists Mr. Green (or the 600 for that matter). I have known Fazer owners go to them, and come away disappointed. From what I read, they are an ok bike, but have that Honda thing of blandness, and don't deliver so well on the fun side - for me, I suspect they lack some oomph, especially in relation to weight.

TDM I can't comment on, never ridden one, and haven't ever looked into ownership.

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cbf1000 is a total shitter

Just get a fazer 1000 ffs. I’m 21 stone and I’d miss the power if I downsized

I got mine from gumtree, private for £1400 it’s ‘04 44k very tidy

Some decent ones on eBay too. I’d never buy from a stealer
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6