Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle-specific jeans

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Motorcycle-specific jeans Reply with quote

Morning all

Thinking of getting some motorcycle denim jeans, the ones reinforced and with armour inserts. The appeal is I can go where I'm going and not feel a burke when I'm there if I don't want to change out of my kit. Obviously only really suitable for fair weather riding though!

A couple of questions though please;

- Are they less/same/more comfy than normal motorcycle textile trousers
- Can you still zip a jacket into them (I guess just a case of sewing the zip into the back?)
- Do they look like normal jeans when worn?

Cheers Thumbs Up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle-specific jeans Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

- Are they less/same/more comfy than normal motorcycle textile trousers
- Can you still zip a jacket into them (I guess just a case of sewing the zip into the back?)
- Do they look like normal jeans when worn?

Cheers Thumbs Up

If you get the correct size then no difference
None of the pairs I own have a zip at the back
Many options available, mine do until you notice the knee / hip padding.

It's motorcycle boots that dont look like motorcycle boots you want 😁👍

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle-specific jeans Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

It's motorcycle boots that dont look like motorcycle boots you want 😁👍

Cheers. Yeah, indeed - could get expensive (again) if I'm not careful Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find some decent affordable ones.... Let me know 🤣😁👍

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a couple of pairs kevlar jeans, one has connection zip, the other not, but like you say, easy enough to sew a zip on, you might also be able to buy a suitable belt loop connection zip like i have for my RST jacket

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/103770

One other tip regards knee armour, i bought some HELD "ladies" knee armour, still CE rated to the same spec as the mens armour, but much slimmer and less obvious when wearing with jeans

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/359479

Still not figured out why women's knees need less protection than men's knees though Laughing

Some jeans also have external knee armour pockets, so can be whipped out without having to disrobe Wink

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I own a couple of pairs kevlar jeans, one has connection zip, the other not, but like you say, easy enough to sew a zip on, you might also be able to buy a suitable belt loop connection zip like i have for my RST jacket

One other tip regards knee armour, i bought some HELD "ladies" knee armour, still CE rated to the same spec as the mens armour, but much slimmer and less obvious when wearing with jeans

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/359479

Still not figured out why women's knees need less protection than men's knees though Laughing

Some jeans also have external knee armour pockets, so can be whipped out without having to disrobe Wink

Cheers. I'll look into that.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some when Aldi had them in. I thought the same, oh I'll look normal when I get somewhere in the summer. They're bloody hot! So hot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I got some when Aldi had them in. I thought the same, oh I'll look normal when I get somewhere in the summer. They're bloody hot! So hot.

I can't imagine they're any hotter than my lined textiles! I'll see it as swings and roundabouts though; it'll mean they're comfy on the bike on cooler dry days. Smile

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:16 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I wear Forcerider ones year round, its a shame they dont make them anymore as the fit is really good. all the others I have tried on look like flares Crying or Very sad

only time I put textiles on is if it is proper pissing it down which isn't too often in London

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I wear Forcerider ones year round, its a shame they dont make them anymore as the fit is really good. all the others I have tried on look like flares Crying or Very sad

only time I put textiles on is if it is proper pissing it down which isn't too often in London

Have a look at Bull-It, they do 3 different fits, Easy, Straight and Slim (with stretch)

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:43 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
bigdom86 wrote:

Have a look at Bull-It, they do 3 different fits, Easy, Straight and Slim (with stretch)

cheers I will take a look, it is difficult for me to find good fitting ones which is why I like the forceriders as they are quite wide at the thigh but they taper in at the ankle which is what I prefer

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue with textile trousers (started a thread on that earlier this week), as i much prefer slimmer fitting trousers/jeans

I have the Bull-It stretch slim, and they are great, not too skinny, but loads of stretch, and can still go over the top of my TCX paddock boots (just above ankle height), or even inside my tall boots

matlow
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I have a similar issue with textile trousers (started a thread on that earlier this week), as i much prefer slimmer fitting trousers/jeans

I have the Bull-It stretch slim, and they are great, not too skinny, but loads of stretch, and can still go over the top of my TCX paddock boots (just above ankle height), or even inside my tall boots

i second the bull-it italian slim fit, look a damn site better than any others i tried.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw in my Penny Coin Penny Coin

After trying at least 10 different pairs of motorcycle jeans I've finally found a pair that I'm comfortable wearing all day.

My main issue with all previous jeans is that they were generally multi-layer with heavy cordura denim and then internal aramid/kevlar lining. Good for protection, bad for breathability, this also added a lot of bulk and weight. I'm a large guy fat bastard and run hot already. In winter they will keep you warm on the bike, but the minute you get off or go inside your legs start baking and in the summer they're basically unbearable.

I was considering getting a separate pair of kevlar leggings that I could wear under normal jeans and take of when required, however after some searching I found some single layer motorcycle jeans. I was sceptical at first but after some research I found a brand called Rokker that produced single layer CE approved jeans using UHMWPE interwoven fibres. Unfortunately, they are eye-wateringly expensive, but after at least 10 previous attempts and thousands of pounds worth of returns, I'm already looking at getting a second pair.

They currently have two options

revolution - 3.15 official CE slide time, "waterproof" (not sure how waterproof probably more resistant)
rokkertech - 6.39 official CE slide time, some water repellency

I ended up getting the rokkertech as they have better breathability and are perfect in summer both on and off the bike.
Used them both last and this winter and they are fine with a pair of merino leggings underneath for warmth, they're ok in light showers, but anything more I'll pull over a pair of goretext military trousers.

Both of these run at around £350 Sad ouch

There's a write up here for anyone still interested Laughing

www.motolegends.com/editorial-rokker-jeans

There's a few companies now going down the single layer route, another option I will be looking at, is the slightly cheaper Resurgence New Wave which run at about £300 Sad but claim an official CE slide test time of 10.83 seconds.

They all come with the usual D30 knee/hip armour, depending on where you buy from.

I think I still have a pair of Knox Richmond dual layers in the cupboard somewhere that I never use.
I couldn't return them as I thought it was the best I was going to find and had the leg altered.

If you're on a budget and are skinny and cold all the time, any CE approved jean should do, if you are looking for something a bit more specific prepared to bend over and grab those ankles.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
you might also be able to buy a suitable belt loop connection zip like i have for my RST jacket

Yeah I've got one of those to go with my Hood jeans and IXS jacket - note that zips vary so will be unlikely to work unless you get a connector of the same brand as your jacket.
Also note that for those connectors to work properly, the 'gaps' in the connector need to line up with the belt loops on the jeans. Mine didn't, and I had to get two of the loops moved a bit. Also, they don't look very good attached to your jeans if you're going to wear them off the bike all day, and are a bit of a faff to thread through the belt and belt loops if you decide you're going to remove/refit it twice a day.

Regarding the jeans themselves - yes, bloody hot in the summer (no cooler than my textile trousers). Most bikey jeans are two-layer - denim outer and a separate protective Kevlar inner. If you buy single-layer jeans, you need to be sure that the protection element is adequate; there are some brands (*Rokker springs to mind) which do produce decent genuine single-layer jeans with Kevlar woven into the fabric, but they are effing expensive.

*EDIT: FWIW, I actually wrote the above post at the same time as Owl's, so the above comment is entirely independent of Owl's opinion

tactical_pancake
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:39 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle-specific jeans Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Obviously only really suitable for fair weather riding though!

Not at all. After many years wearing textiles outside of summer I now wear kevlar jeans, with a thinner weatherproof breathable goretex trouser on top, and tracky bottoms inside the jeans in winter. Far better than textile in my experience, more waterproof and more breathable. I tend to wear the goretex on top in summer too just in case of rain, except on our rare hot days.

I've found the cheap aldi / ebay versions as good as the branded bike shop versions, but not crash tested.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad enough finding normal jeans in larger sizes, but if anyone comes across these with armour in waist sizes around 44" (yeah fat git I know Laughing ) let me know!
Especially if they come in cheap... Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some Hood jeans with hip and knee armour, and a lot of kevlar, don't look like motorcycle kit when I'm wearing them, really comfortable

dread to think what they cost new, I got them for a tenner off of a mate who retried from riding and knew I was skint
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear Kevlar jeans from JTS biker clothing, they come in a massive array of sizes and leg lengths, I think they have different versions that take armour in hip and knee. Mine are the showerproof ones and I just carry a pair of Oxford w/proofs for when I get caught out in heavy rain. I wear them 90% of the time, only go to textiles when its raining as I leave the house. Not the cheapest out there, but have lasted well.

Feasty....they go up waaaaaay past 44 waist.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
if anyone comes across these with armour in waist sizes around 44" (yeah fat git I know)

I have a pair of Hoods which I think are very good, and although not exactly bargain-basement prices they do come in fat git size 44" waist

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:41 - 10 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bull-it Jeans used to sponsor BCF.

Forget how that one ended but they don't sponsor BCF anymore. Laughing

Here's one of the threads about them: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=267417

And here's a screenshot of their sponsored thread which no longer exists: https://i.imgur.com/ftG2D0o.png

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some "RedRoute" stretch denim from J&S last night for £99. They're kevlar lined in the right places and have armour pads, but the slight stretch to them means they fit really well and other than when you're stood bolt upright (and the knee pads become slightly more visible), you'd never know they were proper bike jeans.

This morning riding in they were noticeably cooler than my normal textile trousers (obviously less wind protection) so while borderline comfortable in today's temperatures (5 degrees with no sun to warm) I think they'd be much more comfy in warm weather than my normal textiles. Came with a little zipper on the back too that can be sewed into the jacket.

I would say though that of all the pairs I looked at, these were the only ones that weren't really baggy and/or felt just like normal motorcycle textiles but with different cover fabric.

Pleased Very Happy

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably should have mentioned before, personally I wouldn't look at anything that isn't fully lined or protected.

Here's hoping if you do fall and slide it's only on the bits with kevlar Thumbs Up

At the end of the day, guess it's still better than what a lot of riders wear, which is usually just normal jeans.

Last edited by owl on 11:02 - 11 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:47 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a pair of the older non EU Hoods and a pair of the newer ones that meet the regs. I've cut off the loops that go under your feet/boots as I imagine everyone does on the new ones but other than that I'm very happy with them. Wearing them now as it happens Smile

Not cheap though although cheaper than the top notch Rokker offerings.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 11 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

owl wrote:
Probably should have mentioned before, personally I wouldn't look at anything that isn't fully lined or protected.

Here's hoping if you do fall and slide it's only on the bits with kevlar Thumbs Up

At the end of the day, guess it's still better than what a lot of riders wear, which is usually just normal jeans.

In fairness, the points that will make contact with the road with any degree of pressure are always going to be the knees/hips/bum as these stick out and this is where the abrasion resistance is needed most; intended use is only slower riding, e.g. in and out of town - not going to be hooning around the Peak District or bombing down motorways with these! If I were to be using them for higher speed stuff I'd agree that fully lined would be the route, but to be honest I don't really see denim type motorcycle clothing to be designed for that sort of thing anyway and would rather don my "proper" kit for that.

But yes, let's hope I don't fall off at all Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2