Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone run Lithium Ion batteries over Lead Acid?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 03:31 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Anyone run Lithium Ion batteries over Lead Acid? Reply with quote

Anyone run a Lithium Ion battery all year round? If so, encounter any issues in the cold?

I'm looking at making the switch from my stock battery to Lithium Ion but I've heard they can have issues in cold temps and can become irreparably damaged if they drop below 11v.

Looked at a lot of reviews and explanations but want to know if anyone here runs one and what their experience with them is.

I ride throughout winter, snow, -5, etc so I wouldn't be leaving it for more than a few days in cold temps at a time through winter.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine question: Why would you want to?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:16 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:

Lightness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 12:14 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What MarJay said, and my current battery is gunked up to high heaven.

The lean angle sensor display on the dash disappears intermittently too when I start the bike and this has been attributed to a dodgy battery or battery connection by a lot of s1k owners before, so going to replace the battery and see if that sorts it out (a lot of s1k owners say this fixes the issue).

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:02 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A light smearing of Vaseline used to stop that, any petroleum jelly should work,
But you could use https://www.rapidonline.com/Liqui-Moly-3139-Battery-Terminal-Grease-10g-55-1893?IncVat=1&pdg=pla-338298165771:kwd-338298165771:cmp-757438067:adg-44804851896:crv-207912323492:pid-55-1893:dev-c&gclid=CjwKCAiAgrfhBRA3EiwAnfF4tlGF8EApYLyR3bZBOmc0Yvy9Pt3822w1RrJ2Pn7GFJJnppYoBJv2QRoCVtIQAvD_BwE

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted one to my enduro bike the last time that the standard puny lead/acid battery packed up.The price was almost the same but weight for weight the difference is substantial.But in use I could not tell one from the other,being as how the bike is quite light already.

KTM has issued a video on youtoob advising people that lithium-ion batteries do not work correctly in temperatures under 20c.Luckily I have a kickstarter on my KTM,so I can start the bike okay in colder temperatures and once the engine has been running for a while,use the button from there onwards.

But I would not bother to buy one for my R1 or any other bike.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Last edited by Fizzer Thou on 22:29 - 03 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:

I have them on the TL1000R and the Hayabusa.

They were £20 more than the same lead acid, they start both bikes much easier, require no maintenance and weigh less than a dirty thought.

The TL has been sat in the shed since august and started last week on the first prod of the starter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:11 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With lead acid, your day is ruined by the battery being flat.

With lithium, your day is ruined by a ball of flame (lithium ion) or an explosion (lithium polymer). Typically on a bike, this will be happening right where your balls and cock/vagina are (other genders are available.)

Choose your poison. Personally I can't see an AA man being much use where ruined testes are concerned.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:54 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

With lithium, your day is ruined by a ball of flame (lithium ion) or an explosion (lithium polymer). Typically on a bike, this will be happening right where your balls and cock/vagina are (other genders are available.)

Typically what is described as li-ion are 18650 cells, which are more likely to explode.
Li-po tends to a pouch cell which is more likely to burn.
The ones used in motorcycles are normally LifePo4, which are much less pyrotechnic.

However, issues generally over come with overcharging - which can also make lead acid batteries explode, sending strong acid everywhere.

Any decent bike battery with a BMS that'll prevent over-charging and other situations likely to cause problems.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:21 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
With lead acid, your day is ruined by the battery being flat.

With lithium, your day is ruined by a ball of flame (lithium ion) or an explosion (lithium polymer). .

Genuine question, is this a common thing with lithium ion batteries?

I ask because I did consider these batteries for my 250.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bike but entertaining none the less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:49 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any modifications required to the charging circuit of the bike for Lithium batteries? How do you trickle charge them? I don't ride in freezing temperatures. Google is providing my a lot of sales bollocks and not much in the way of balanced facts.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
Are any modifications required to the charging circuit of the bike for Lithium batteries? How do you trickle charge them?
From 50 feet away whilst hiding inside a concrete bunker with your hands between your legs by the sound of the posts above.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:23 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the little research I did a while back, the cells themselves are fairly fragile, and require some circuitry (battery management system) in order to prevent deep discharge or overcharging, keeping them in their stable range (it effectively isolates the cells below 11v ish and behaves like a full lead acid battery when fully charged.

The battery is a series of these cells and the BMS in a case, however, for much cheapness, some of the less expensive ones either have no BMS at all (just a box full of cells) or they have one which prevents discharge and simply use the cell voltage and quantity to ensure your (normally functioning) charging system cant overcharge them, which is wonderful until your regulator fails.

I concluded that you either bought a brand name battery (£££), a couple of cheap ones to open up and confirm what's in them (££) or just stick with lead acid.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:05 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can a LiFePO4 battery set itself on fire?

In some very rare cases any battery can set itself on fire. There are examples of situations when a battery (in a mobile phone) set itself on fire. This may happen perhaps once in 10 000 units, once in a period of 5 years. Will you stop using mobile phones because of this danger?

In fact: the LiFePO4 technology is much more stable and much safer than the Li-poly cells used in mobile phones, tablets and notebooks. While the Li-poly cells may actually explode and burn completely very fast (nearly instantly), the LiFePO4 cells usually remain complete and only the plastic case or internal material may burn slowly (for many minutes).

During the last 6 years of our battery business at GWL, we have sold over 15 000 000 Ah of cell capacity: this corresponds to some 300 000 pieces of individual cells. From this quanity we have recored only less than 10 cases of battery related fire. In fact from these less than 10 cases, most were related to electric short curcuit (user failure), not to a battery (cell) failure. Others were caused by over charging. This proves the LiFePO4 technology is extremely safe and reliable.

Will you stop using mobile phones because of lithium cells? Will you stop using LiFePO4?

Which makes a very good point - if you're worried, definitely don't carry a phone on your person Smile.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries are fairly stable in everyday use. It's when they're pushed hard that problems can happen - winter for example.
Winter brings extra strain on a battery due to extra cranking to start an engine, extra lighting etc. It's at those times I'd be nervous.

I do understand the lightness and moving with the times but for me I think sometimes I'd rather stick with proven technology. Sure a lead acid battery can get hot and pop but they take some serious punishment to get there. I wouldn't want to punish a LiFeP04 battery..

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 04 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two or more years running a JMT LiFePO4 on a cbr6, all weather, no probs whatsoever. I ordered one with a slightly higher capacity than was recommended for an extra fiver.

Shaved 3kg minimum off the weight, as the bike is already fairly light I did notice a very slight improvement, but it's an easy way to save some high up and centralized weight.

If it's cold, you can turn the headlights on for 30 secs or so to warm the battery.
It's sat for weeks of late without cranking over and fires right up even at 2 degrees.

These things pack a mighty punch for cranking, but if you have any parasitic drain like alarms, I would not recommend as the true capacity is not as high as lead acid.

Recovering them from the dead is nigh on impossible, this can also be said for lead acid if they're far enough discharged, but that can be harder to get a lead acid that low unless it's died from old age.

You also need to be careful with which type of charger you use, but mine only ever charges on the bike through use.

If it died tomorrow I'd order another without even thinking about it.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 05 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any jap production bikes use them as standard yet, and if so:
- have they adapted the regulator or is it a bog standard one? proper balance charging?
- Are these aftermarket cells suitable replacements for a bike that has lifepo4 as standard?

If I were buying a new bike, I would want it having lifepo4 and other new tech. When my 2012 motobatt needs replacing I might swap one.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Do any jap production bikes use them as standard yet, and if so:
- have they adapted the regulator or is it a bog standard one? proper balance charging?
- Are these aftermarket cells suitable replacements for a bike that has lifepo4 as standard?

If I were buying a new bike, I would want it having lifepo4 and other new tech. When my 2012 motobatt needs replacing I might swap one.

Why would they?

Proven lead acid technology and probably a bloody good deal with Yuasa to supply them.

People are trying them in boats for leisure batteries now but the charging technology is critical. I can't remember which way round it is but the float charge has to be lower/higher than lead acid or you end up knackering them very quickly.

Personally, unless it's critical for weight reduction, I'd buy a brand name lead acid.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would get a good weight reduction for far less $ than other type of changes, frame, engine... I expect Yuasa have there fingers in some Li pie if they are not stupid. I'd even say it'd be more profitable as much less battery capacity is required, cheaper to make. LA requires quite a bit of expensive lead, where as you can start a bike from 4 cells from poundland, if you needed to. Massive economy of scale makes Li technology very cheap.

The difficult part is the regulator/battery charging system, which is the part I intend to buy used if I decide to retro fit Li to the cbr6. I do not trust aftermarket Li batterys to be designed safely.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:17 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

The difficult part is the regulator/battery charging system, which is the part I intend to buy used if I decide to retro fit Li to the cbr6. I do not trust aftermarket Li batterys to be designed safely.

You may well want more than 100A, but ...
https://uk.banggood.com/4S-100A-12V-LiFePo4-18650-Battery-Cell-BMS-Protection-Board-Balance-With-Cable-p-1217848.html
Shouldn't be difficult to get a decent BMS for not much.
And on that - you can save even more weight going for a pouch with separate BMS - but I'd presume the battery case does offer some protection - if not from fire, from the cells being damaged in the first place.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used JMT Li-Ion batteries in several bikes now. Usually drops 2-3kg vs the Lead-Acid equivalent No issues, and barely more expensive than a good Lead-Acid battery.

The other benefit is that Li-Ion batteries have significantly higher CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) ratings than Lead-Acid batteries of the same physical size. That's really noticeable with a big, high compression V-twin (Ducati Streetfighter S in my case), where smaller Lead-Acid batteries can struggle to fire it up cold.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 12 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one in my 450 and I left it for six months, it still fired up and that's when it's about 2 degrees outside.

They're pricey but great.

Don't use a trickle charger though...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1