Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can you use an engine from a Category B bike???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

7uckyDog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:16 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Can you use an engine from a Category B bike??? Reply with quote

Hello fellow riders!

I had a very 'nice' Christmas present by an idiot driver who knocked me off my bike so I ended up in the back of a stationary van. Long story short the bike was written off as category B because of damage to the frame.

After a lot of reading online it seems like you can re-frame the bike with another frame in a better state.

My biggest concern is, can I use the engine? The engine number is registered in the V5 alongside the current frame number. Is it going to be a hassle when registering the new frame with the old engine?

Don't want a Q plate!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 02:50 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not even notify them personally.

But no, should be fine to switch out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:15 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't do Cat B now do they, isn't it N and S?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
They don't do Cat B now do they, isn't it N and S?

A, B, N, S.

N and S replaced C and D. A and B are, AFAIK, unchanged.
B can be broken for parts, no frame use.
A is a total write off, not to be used for anything, usually when something gets torched.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you can't get his insurance to repair/replace your bike for some reason?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I take it you can't get his insurance to repair/replace your bike for some reason?

I'm guessing he's done a Paddy and bought the salvage for 50p.

7uckyDog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!

The company that assessed the damages on the bike mainly put it in category B because it had category C already on it from a previous crash. I think they were trying to scare me by saying I couldn't use any parts of the bike, they also added that could scrap it for free (so generous of them) or I would have to pay £50 if I do it myself later on.

The bike has loads of good parts, like brand new tires, chain, levers, and other bits and they probably felt like they were gonna make easy money out of my bike. They also valued it £500 under market value which I obviously disputed. I know it's in my right to get the bike back so I'm definitely re-framing it!

My only worry is that after all that work some MOT nerd with too much attention to detail will notice that the VIN and Engine Number don't match and I will have a bloody headache.

What's ya think? Do I have to pay a scrappy to pretend to sell the engine back to me after I give him my old frame?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:23 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

7uckyDog wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

The company that assessed the damages on the bike mainly put it in category B because it had category C already on it from a previous crash.

That's bullshit. Previous category comes from previous damage, they should assess the bike on it's merits, not it's history. I would formally complain about their behaviour to your insurer.

Quote:

I know it's in my right to get the bike back so I'm definitely re-framing it!

It's not, but it might be the insurer's policy to allow it.

Quote:
My only worry is that after all that work some MOT nerd with too much attention to detail will notice that the VIN and Engine Number don't match and I will have a bloody headache.

None of their business so that won't happen.

What's ya think? Do I have to pay a scrappy to pretend to sell the engine back to me after I give him my old frame?[/quote]

Nope, buy a frame and log book, fit your engine, send a covering letter to dvla explaining that you were already the owner.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my FZ as 're-framed' job. MOT station is only interested in frame number - engine number is irrelevant*.

* except to concours nerds.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

7uckyDog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:10 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting my bike back tomorrow, so happy to know there’s a way to putting it back on the road, thanks for diminishing my paranoia!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1