Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CBR or NSR for full A1 license adventurs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 05:18 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Honda CBR or NSR for full A1 license adventurs? Reply with quote

Heya so im going for my mod 2 test on tuesday. When I pass ill be getting a better 125cc.

I will be taking passengers and using motorways from time to time. Ive heard there really boring on a bike though and will have more fun not using them.
an
Anyway should I go for the reliability and mpg of the CBR and is its top speed of about 80mph and only 13 bhp enough to be taking passengers (maybe not both at same time). Or should I get an NSR125 with its 28 bhp and less reliability but enough power to get me out of sticky situations?

In regards to derestriction I dont mind doing it and I can get insurance for the bike, while I wouldnt be able to get insurance for a big bike thats say 250cc.

Was also thinking if I rode an NSR for a few years the jump up to an A2 bike wouldnt be that much.

In regards to full A license. Not got funds thats why im going for a1 as I can ride about of my SR125 which im very familiar with. The jump from 12 to 55 is too much for me.

So to sumarise would an NSR suit me better or could I get away with a 4 stroke on motorways carrying passengers?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:33 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't ride a non standard 12bhp NSR on an A1 licence anyway.

Have you seen lots of decent tidy NSR's that you'd trust the seller of not to have bodged to death and ruined?

And are you daily riding a bike that needs to be reliable and get you to work without losing pay, or get you to an office where it'd be unpopular to sit all day stinking of burnt oil?

How's your preventative maintenance two stroke engine re-build skills, and can you afford synthetic oil at £10-15/litre on top of half the mpg of a CBR?

Ask yourself if you can even find a good enough tidy NSR to buy to run as a daily, are you going to keep on top of maintenance and servicing 100% regardless of cost?

Or do you expect to thrash along for a year or so on a shoestring with lawnmower oil, and then see yourself writing a topic in the workshop section, saying "what should I do, my bike made a funny noise and vibration then then back wheel stopped suddenly and I can't get it to start now".

If I was looking for a CBR even being lazy I bet I could find 10bikes or more worth having in a 50mile radius of home. I might spot 4-5 NSR's a year not too knackered to be ridden as is and that might be a bit too hopeful even.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Honda CBR or NSR for full A1 license adventurs? Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
When I pass ill be getting a better 125cc.

I'd get that out of the way first. Passing isn't a guaranteed outcome.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, insurance costs aside, why are you only going for an A1 license, if you're already old enough for an A2 or even A license? You may even find insurance is cheaper for a 250+ than it is for a 125.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Have you seen lots of decent tidy NSR's that you'd trust the seller of not to have bodged to death and ruined?

There are loads: https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Honda-Nsr-125/9806/bn_7023535108 Razz

Yeah no way would I go for an ancient two-stroke.

P.S. with your duplicate topic...
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101975

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:41 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A derestricted NSR is no more legal with an A1 license than it is with just a CBT.

An A1 license lets you remove the L plates, use motorways and carry pillions.

Are you doing mod 2 with the school who made you do your mod 1 on a 125 rather than a big bike because they'd only given you an hour of training on the big bike?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

But look at how much a good one costs that you could use and probably trust as a daily. I bet spares aren't as easy to get beyond simple consumables as they are for a CBR. I'd personally want a daily that's write off-able so that if the worst happened I could price up the parts to fix it to the standard it was before quickly and easily.

My questions though are:

Why does OP think an A1 licence is better for now than an A2? If your old enough then A2 is logical unless you only need a simple little commuter bike and are going to stay on it indefinitely, or you want to wait it out until 24 on a 125, to say fuck you to the system.

And is OP a Hondaphile, as they're only mentioning one make of bike which when looking for a 125 is a bit limiting?

Secondly why is a 250cc easily A2 compliant bike considered a big bike? And where is the proof that they can't get insurance on one, or is it something their mind has decided for them in their own misplaced logic?

To use a Tef style word it seems OP is a bit 'Delusional'. Maybe a long hard Teffing is needed here more than most?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this person: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4603783#4603783

OP your issue won't be with 55bhp, sure you need to develop the clutch control but if (I'm assuming your gender here) you're a lass on the smaller side it'll be the weight you struggled with.

The CBF500 isn't particularly light at 206kg, someone on here went to a school recently that had KTM Duke 690s @ 150kg although I think KTM tell a few Liar

Last edited by M.C on 13:27 - 13 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, OK, I was just going off the 'insurance would be too expensive' for a 250.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:59 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

not going through a school just turning up to the test center. The school I did mod 1 with said that swindon is very easy and id have a shot at passing without training.

In regards to insurance they simply wont give you a quote for riding a 250 on a cbt. But they will insure a derestricted 125 as its still a 125.

Ill be on a small budget. Hoping to get about 500 for my sr125. Ktm duke and yam yzf seam really expensive around the 2 grand area. Cbrs and NSR are about 700-1000 depending on if they are faired or streetfighters.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:

In regards to insurance they simply wont give you a quote for riding a 250 on a cbt. But they will insure a derestricted 125 as its still a 125.

That's because its illegal to ride a 250 on a CBT.

It's just as illegal to ride a derestricted 125 on an A1 license. The A1 license DOES NOT allow you to ride more powerful bikes. You are still restricted to 15bhp. There's no point getting insurance for a derestricted two stroke because it'll likely be void anyway when the insurer realises you don't have a license to cover it.

Also fuck riding a 125 on the motorway with a pillion. I'd do it on my own but never with a passenger.

Buy a CBR or get a higher license.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:24 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
But they will insure a derestricted 125 as its still a 125.

No they won't insure you on a derestricted 125 when you've only got a CBT or an A1 license.

If you don't tell them that it's derestricted then they'll insure you and it's up to you whether or not you're happy to take that risk.

For getting quotes for a 250 or any other big bike then you have to tick the box which says you've got the appropriate type of license. Wink

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

tara1234 wrote:
Cbrs and NSR are about 700-1000 depending on if they are faired or streetfighters.

Confused so crashed in other words.

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:43 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
tara1234 wrote:

That's because its illegal to ride a 250 on a CBT.

It's just as illegal to ride a derestricted 125 on an A1 license. The A1 license DOES NOT allow you to ride more powerful bikes. You are still restricted to 15bhp. There's no point getting insurance for a derestricted two stroke because it'll likely be void anyway when the insurer realises you don't have a license to cover it.

Also fuck riding a 125 on the motorway with a pillion. I'd do it on my own but never with a passenger.

Buy a CBR or get a higher license.

Would the cbr be powerful enough for motorways. They are bringing in more draconian speed limits these days with the m1 and m25 using cameras set at 72mph

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:52 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A four stroke 125 on the motorway will be painful and soul crushing.

In theory you could be done for being 2mph over the limit but speed cameras are not set at 72mph.

"All cameras on M1 and M25 go live at midnight tonight, set at 72mph.

Auto ticket generating system with 6 point penalty."

"Watch your speed and tell everyone else tonight, any speed over 90mph is instant ban & possible court & custodial sentence order!! Drive safely guys & girls."

It's all a load crap intended to wind people up. Thumbs Up

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:59 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A four stroke 125 on the motorway will be painful and soul crushing.

In theory you could be done for being 2mph over the limit but speed cameras are not set at 72mph.

"All cameras on M1 and M25 go live at midnight tonight, set at 72mph.

Auto ticket generating system with 6 point penalty."

"Watch your speed and tell everyone else tonight, any speed over 90mph is instant ban & possible court & custodial sentence order!! Drive safely guys & girls."

It's all a load crap intended to wind people up. Thumbs Up

oh you think the speed cameras are at the usual +10% not manually set at 72?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CBR125 is only marginally better than a CG. The CBR will do 70 but that'll be terrifying dealing with all the lorries and getting overtaken by every coach. Getting a speeding ticket is the least of your worries Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OP should just get passing out of the way first. Discussing speed cameras, limits and what 125 will or
won't be utterly shite on the motorway all just hot air until you ditch the L's. So I'd make that my priority personally.
You seem super confident the test is gonna be a nowt but a formality. Yet I know lots of people that took two three
and four attempts to pass. Despite them having had tuition. Don't get me wrong, I hope you pass, but lots can go wrong
in that 40 odd minutes. One ill judged roundabout is all it takes to be heading back to the test centre to hear why
it is you failed.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:13 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If speed cameras were set at 77mph then they'd be catching everyone. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only take Mod 2 if my CBT was about to expire, otherwise it's a waste of money getting an A1 licence IMO.

Inb4 Tef' Shifty

tara1234
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:41 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

not going through a school just turning up to the test center. The school I did mod 1 with said that swindon is very easy and id have a shot at passing without training.

Ill be on a small budget. Hoping to get about 500 for my sr125. Ktm duke and yam yzf seam really expensive around the 2 grand area. Cbrs and NSR are about 700-1000 depending on if they are faired or streetfighters.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:55 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is going to give you a quote for insuring a 250 when you've got a CBT. If you want a quote for a 250 then you have to tell the website that you've got a full license.

Nobody is going to insure you on a 125 that you're not licensed to ride. Obviously they'll insure you if you don't tell them that it's derestricted but that doesn't mean the insurance is valid.

With a CBT or an A1 license you're allowed a 125cc with a maximum of 11Kw (14.6bhp).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting deja vu Confused

Is this the matrix?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Grrr has said (sounded very TM like) Very Happy

Firstly OP seems to know better than everyone else, or has a reason why they want to go an unconventional route to passing the test (diy option).

Did the training school shout at you too much or say your not up to it, or discriminate or behave inappropriately towards you inany way?

Your actions are like someone that's burnt their hand on the oven and not wanting to go back into the kitchen out of fear or irrational behaviour and mentally blocking out reality, and trying to find a way to skirt around the issues they are facing instead of tackling them head on?

What makes you think in your head that you are incapable of passing an A2 test unlike everyone else?

The only other reason to avoid A2 is if your totally skint, and just need a simple cheap commuter bike on an A1 licence to get to work and back on. But if that were the case you'd not be worrying about motorways, 72mph speed cameras and carrying pillions.

Something doesn't stack up here, and it's not the bikes or the insurers or the licencing system. Its just the delusional person that won't admit they are avoiding putting the cart in front of the horse, or something like that? Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:01 - 13 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The training school fucked her around by giving her an hours training on a big bike before her mod 1 and then telling her that they can't get up her to test standard so told her to do it on her 125.

I think they'd booked her mod 1 on a 125 and so were never going to give her the necessary amount of time on a big bike.

For the A1 test, assuming she's (mostly) able to ride to test standard then there's no reason not give the DIY route a go. And if that doesn't work then hopefully it'll be back to big bikes but with a different training school.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4