Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Was this mechanic's fee reasonable?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

mackula
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:12 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Was this mechanic's fee reasonable? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I got myself an old Yamaha SR125 for around £430 six months ago. It didn't have a long service history but it had a fresh MOT so I thought I'd take the risk.

It ran ok-ish for a few months but it definitely had some problems: the engine would sometimes shut off at idle (my temp fix was adjusting the idle speed screw) and the front brake felt really weak. I went a couple of weeks without riding it and when I tried to start it up again it wouldn't start, so I took it to a mechanic.

The mechanic said that he could basically find things wrong with it wherever he looked, and implied that the MOT it came with was probably dodgy. Here's the invoice:

Front tyre 300-17” L301 £55.00
Inner tube £10.00
Fuel tap seals £6.00
Oils £8.00
Oil filter £6.00
Air filter £5.00
Sparking plug £4.50
Tensioner cap and seal £8.00
O ring £2.50
Wheel bearings £16.00
Carburettor flush £5.50
Brake seals £48.00
Brake pads £17.00
Brake fluids £ 8.00
Oils, odds etc £ 6.00
Labour 4 Hours £ 200.00
Total £405.50

He also mentioned he sorted problems with the following: engine, front tyre, rear wheel, chain adjusters, swingarm, fuel tank, steering bearings, front fork, front wheel bearings, front brake caliper, rear brake, clutch, left handlebar switch, carburetto, airbox, gear lever.

The front brake is definitely better (feels much more like the modern 125s I rented in the past) and the engine sounds quieter and has less of that "clickety clack" sound from poorly adjusted valves.

I don't really know much about bike maintenance so I'm wondering if this was an okay price to pay.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks OK to me. I always feel like labour rates are high, but they have to include garage rental, insurance, tools etc etc etc as well as paying the guy a wage. If he was trying to rip you off, there'd have been more stuff on there again, eg back tyre/tube.
The brake seals look expensive to me, but as everything else looks reasonable, that's probably just what they cost.

If you found it expensive, might be worth learning how to twirl a spanner yourself, the £200 labour would have bought a lot of tools - although probably not enough for tyre changes on top of the rest! Also, dodgy brakes are possibly not the best point on the learning curve to start at Wink

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks about right, but you really should now learn some basic maintenance, i mean an oil and filter change is a piece of cake, as is changing the spark plug

That alone would have saved you at least an hours labour charge

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks reasonable; some of that stuff can be a pain to deal with, even if the parts cost is cheap.

As said previously, worth learning some basic maintenance skills though - bikes are so easy to work on and basic stuff like oil changes can be done with the absolute bare minimum of tools and skills.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap bike ended up being not so cheap, put it down to experience, and get yourself a Haynes manual and socket set.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:41 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this fee reasonable? No. They charge an extortionate amount for stuff you could do yourself.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks about right, £40-60 is a typical hourly rate for the average none dealer mechanic.

If you don't know how to do something yourself there's really no point in people saying it's too expensive.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how you want to look at it. If the OP bought a bit of a lemon which might have been Vince Candelin dangerous, then they've paid out £830 odd for a (hopefully) now sorted bike. Looking at current used prices it doesn't seem that far off: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/9809/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=yamaha+sr125&_sop=2 Granted SR's are now at the (fairly) rare so must be valuable stage.

Check the MOT history if you want to know whether it had a potentially dodgy MOT: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history Although my lemon 125 fell apart within 6 months of me 'sorting it'... then I sold it on Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:00 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing all that lot in four hours seems quite good.

The list he also mentioned of problems he sorted has duplicates of things in the £405 list of stuff.

A fresh MOT doesn't mean anything.

If everything in the £405 list needed doing and has been done then it's reasonable enough.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:41 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good deal. Prices of the parts seem good too.

It would take me more than 4 hours to do that lot.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It would take me more than 4 hours to do that lot.

It would take me two weeks, with multiple posts in the workshop section, and many orders for parts or tools I didn't realise I needed.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:46 - 14 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems cheap to me, with tyre changes I always take the wheel off and take to my local garage saves a bit on labour Thumbs Up
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fook me, he must have been humming along at a fair old whack to get that lot done in four hours! Shocked

200 quid for the labour was a bargain even if he did slap the best part of an hour's labour in with the cost of the brake seals.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 93 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1