Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a non-standard construction house

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually looking at a flat in Halifax the other day, right next to a chop shop Laughing What's the town like?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always get on the the bus to Hebden Bridge - if you're that way inclined.

PS What's a 'chop shop'?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
PS What's a 'chop shop'?

Resisting the urge to make a tranny joke Shifty

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chop_shop

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I was actually looking at a flat in Halifax the other day, right next to a chop shop Laughing What's the town like?

I'm guessing Fat Bobs?

Halifax is a typical northern town - a bit down on its luck, beautiful buildings if you look above street level, loads of pubs, beggars and pound-shops. Can't be that bad though as I moved 20 years ago and I'm still here... Once out of Halifax the countryside is wonderful, particularly if you head out along the Calder, Ryburn or Shibden valleys.

To clarify A100man's point about Hebden Bridge, many ladies living in the town catch the 'other bus' if you know what I mean... I like Hebden for a night out as the pubs are decent and it has the Trades Club, a small venue that gets all sorts.

All in all, not a bad part of the country!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
M.C wrote:

I'm guessing Fat Bobs?

Halifax is a typical northern town - a bit down on its luck, beautiful buildings if you look above street level, loads of pubs, beggars and pound-shops. Can't be that bad though as I moved 20 years ago and I'm still here... Once out of Halifax the countryside is wonderful, particularly if you head out along the Calder, Ryburn or Shibden valleys.

To clarify A100man's point about Hebden Bridge, many ladies living in the town catch the 'other bus' if you know what I mean... I like Hebden for a night out as the pubs are decent and it has the Trades Club, a small venue that gets all sorts.

All in all, not a bad part of the country!

I'm putting that in the 'pro' column right? Smile

Err whatever this place is: https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Abode,+Sunderland+St,+Halifax+HX1+5AF/@53.7220235,-1.8653837,3a,75y,204h,92.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfiwFV5vITuIEe-h-FuGU1Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bc2aa87f7e077:0xc895311b93128586!8m2!3d53.7218577!4d-1.8653617

You see a lot of that kinda stuff for sale, which seems to struggle to sell, I imagine cos the tenants are trouble/probably don't pay their rent. The other development I talked about has about 20 for sale signs up, again another good sign =)

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I got one of those (Baxi that is). My bills aren't that high (18 degs is considered tropical in this house) but I'm interested in the %ge decrease in the bills you observed. Pip pip.

I like a warm house 22 or 23C ideally. I'm positively Caribbean in that regard. But they are around 600 per quarter
now which I can accept given the massive soon to be demolished heatsink on the side of my kitchen which is the
main cause of the big bills. I installed a large double radiator in my living room after the gas fire went, as once that
had gone the only source of heat in there was the stove that replaced the fire and its too much of a faff to fire that up and
keep it going every night through the cold months. My wifes pole studio is heated electrically and built to modern standards
and super insulated as she needs it to be warm out there to prevent injuries, I have a high efficiency convection heater out
there keeping that toasty so at least that doesn't add to the gas bill, or that much to the electric bill given the amount of
insulation. I'm probably spending more on the dogs night time fan heater facing her bed in the kitchen. She likes it warm too.
I make her a little blanket den every night and she gets the heater too if its gonna be a frosty morning as my kitchen
gets quite chilly overnight with the main heating off. I have come down next morning to a shivering dog after an
unexpected cold snap. Crying or Very sad This is my fix. I have the thermostat setting juuuuuuuust right. So it only comes on if it gets cold.

https://i.imgur.com/RpNSIl4.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:16 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I spent £4.5k having my heating upgraded and fitting a state of the art, top of the range oil fired combi boiler last month.

So far it has proved to be unbelievably efficient. Hardly uses any oil at all.

That's because the fucking thing has been broken down since new years day.

So. It's a good job really that I planned ahead and scheduled the replacement of my old, fucked boiler before it broke down so I didn't get left for 2 weeks in the middle of winter with no hot water or heating.

My house is 10 degrees.

So take your grant vortex blue-eco combi boiler and fuck off. Bastard fucking things combi boilers. Even for the week it was working it couldn't keep up with the shower at full blast/full heat, and that's supposed to be a 36kW boiler.

On demand hot water is a fucking lie unless there is a tank to store it in.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
A100man wrote:
I got one of those (Baxi that is). My bills aren't that high (18 degs is considered tropical in this house) but I'm interested in the %ge decrease in the bills you observed. Pip pip.

I like a warm house 22 or 23C ideally. I'm positively Caribbean in that regard. But they are around 600 per quarter
now which I can accept given the massive soon to be demolished heatsink on the side of my kitchen which is the
main cause of the big bills. I installed a large double radiator in my living room after the gas fire went, as once that
had gone the only source of heat in there was the stove that replaced the fire and its too much of a faff to fire that up and
keep it going every night through the cold months. My wifes pole studio is heated electrically and built to modern standards
and super insulated as she needs it to be warm out there to prevent injuries, I have a high efficiency convection heater out
there keeping that toasty so at least that doesn't add to the gas bill, or that much to the electric bill given the amount of
insulation. I'm probably spending more on the dogs night time fan heater facing her bed in the kitchen. She likes it warm too.
I make her a little blanket den every night and she gets the heater too if its gonna be a frosty morning as my kitchen
gets quite chilly overnight with the main heating off. I have come down next morning to a shivering dog after an
unexpected cold snap. Crying or Very sad This is my fix. I have the thermostat setting juuuuuuuust right. So it only comes on if it gets cold.

https://i.imgur.com/RpNSIl4.jpg

You're a big softy at heart. Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

You can have that, you know.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

So take your grant vortex blue-eco combi boiler and fuck off. Bastard fucking things combi boilers. Even for the week it was working it couldn't keep up with the shower at full blast/full heat, and that's supposed to be a 36kW boiler.

I have to say I've never been a fan of combis.. At least with a tank/cylinder you have an immersion back up. In my last house (the one I had to sell when the wife fucked off) I had a Mega-flow, which was nice..

Anyhow seems like I/we have hijacked this thread like a bastard. Apols. Embarassed

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:45 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Anyhow seems like I/we have hijacked this thread like a bastard. Apols. Embarassed

It's interesting, I'm not sure I understand any of the boiler talk Smile but it's interesting all the same.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:58 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I have to say I've never been a fan of combis.. At least with a tank/cylinder you have an immersion back up. In my last house (the one I had to sell when the wife fucked off) I had a Mega-flow, which was nice..

I grew up with gas boilers, and small explosions and flames in the morning when I ran the hot tap in the bathroom Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:35 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Glazing might not up the value but at least it will stop the draughts, Crittal windows are fucking 'orrible!
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of easy young white girls, another plus point Thumbs Up

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Double Glazing might not up the value but at least it will stop the draughts, Crittal windows are fucking 'orrible!

Just ordered a new UPVC on line to replace the last Crittal in my house.
You can almost feel it sucking the heat from the room through its conductive metal frame - Brrr..

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
PS What's a 'chop shop'?

I think he means a hairdressers; "Male grooming" Wink and all that sort of stuff. Not a manly barber, y'know.

OTOH perhaps it's a restaurant, or a butchers?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:09 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Combi boilers:

I had one at my place in Reading, and it was excellent. Would run a shower without breaking a sweat, and could also produce a small amount of hot water from the kitchen tap at the same time. The boiler was right next to the bathroom, so the pressure from the boiler pump meant the shower was mega powerful and I've never had one as powerful since, even with a power shower.

Filling a bath was also far more convenient as you didn't have to worry about the tank emptying. I'm certain that my old combi boiler was far more efficient than my current hot water tank system. Storing hot water has to be less efficient than heating it on demand. More modern combi systems might be less reliable, but my old Worcester Bosch unit (with a Combi mate fitted) was excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I had one at my place in Reading, and it was excellent. Would run a shower without breaking a sweat, and could also produce a small amount of hot water from the kitchen tap at the same time. The boiler was right next to the bathroom, so the pressure from the boiler pump meant the shower was mega powerful and I've never had one as powerful since, even with a power shower.

Filling a bath was also far more convenient as you didn't have to worry about the tank emptying. I'm certain that my old combi boiler was far more efficient than my current hot water tank system. Storing hot water has to be less efficient than heating it on demand. More modern combi systems might be less reliable, but my old Worcester Bosch unit (with a Combi mate fitted) was excellent.

My Worcester combi is excellent. I wouldn't have anything else by choice.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Are you sure it had pumped hot water? That would be unusual I think. Mains pressure for hot, pumped for rads is the way I thought they worked.
Indeed your mains pressure will to some extent dictate the performance of your combi.

PS I find it telling that the BCF problems page has more views/contribution to a 'household engineering' thread that it does to the poor sod in divorce hell.. Perhaps he should try Mumsnet or whatever the male equivalent might be..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:43 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the water pressure in the road you used to live on in Reading was high because of the water tower at the top of Langley Hill.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a combination boiler is configured in a system with a hot water cylinder and pipework that is well lagged, I can't see that there should be an efficiency issue.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:54 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I always thought that the water pressure in the road you used to live on in Reading was high because of the water tower at the top of Langley Hill.

Could have been that, but the Combi was efficient enough to make the water far too hot on it's own, and would need mixing with a LOT of cold to work.

Yeah I know you're not supposed to pump water over mains pressure, but as Ste says our mains pressure was mega high anyway.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

PS I find it telling that the BCF problems page has more views/contribution to a 'household engineering' thread that it does to the poor sod in divorce hell.. Perhaps he should try Mumsnet or whatever the male equivalent might be..

If I was in "divorce hell" here is the very last place I'd discuss it. Besides, what good are 50 posts that all say "chin up mate"?
I've never been divorced and come from a family with next to no divorce in it. Good luck and best wishes are all I could offer.
I imagine anyone who has been divorced on here is more likely to be male than female and has therefore been
taken to the cleaners as a result of said divorce. Subsequently, I'd imagine them saying "It's no good pal, whatever
you do you're fucked!" would be less than helpful in this scenario.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 16 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise not everyone is a successful big bollocks when they get married, but why don't guys insist on a prenup'? In the very unlikely chance I ever get married I'll be insisting on it (unless she's rich Laughing), even though you hear of stories particularly over here of them being ignored in divorce settlements Neutral

P.S. my thread I can go off topic Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 101 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4