Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER5 'laid down' while running = low oil pressure...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: ER5 'laid down' while running = low oil pressure... Reply with quote

So... the wife had to lay her bike down earlier due to a pillock going the wrong way down a one way street. (wet leaves on a greasy road etc...)
Minor cosmetic damage (smashed indicator & scratched stator cover).
My main issue is that while she was trapped under the bike, the engine was running for around 30s or so.
It took a while to start it afterwards and both the oil & coolant temp lights were lit. (she can't remember if they were on while the bike was on its side)
I shut it down after a few seconds when I realised they weren't going out.
I then tested the oil pressure switch with a multimeter to see if there was a difference in readings with the engine off and when running.
There was a slight difference so I thought it may be an air lock.
I loosened the oil filter until a bit of oil came out, tightened it back up and ran the engine again. Both lights still on.
Left it for a while and tried again and the lights went off after around 30s.
Would this be enough to damage the engine? (bearing in mind I did blip the throttle to around 4K rpm a couple of times while the lights were on)

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:24 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no noise then I'd say it's OK. If the engine ran at idle, and the oil light eventually went out, then what else can you do? Write off the bike on the offchance the engine is damaged? Nah, I'm sure it will be fine. Check the oil level, take it gingerly for a little while and you'll be grand I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 16:46 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the ER5 have a tip-over sensor? If so, then it sounds like it's been triggered.

I'd be tempted to disconnect the battery for a minute or so, and see if that resets it.
If there's oil present, and it's not making hideous noises, then it could just be that for the lack of a specific light to say it's tipped over, then going full retard on the rest of the dash would be a sufficient 'Danger, Will Robinson!' sort of response.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:55 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you inspect the pressure switch itself? If the bike went over onto its left hand side, the left exhaust header can be pushed against the pressure switch, thereby activating it. It will eventually garner enough pressure to force it out again and the light will go off.

Had this happen on my KLE500 (same engine), oil pressure light was on at low revs and gradually flickered out but went out when you removed the sump bash guard. It was pushing the header into the switch.

Another one to check is if the wire to the pressure switch has become damaged/pinched and is shorting. Especially if it passes under any bodywork.

As a quick and dirty test, the oil in the sight glass should vanish immediately when you push the starter if it's picking up oil properly.

EDIT: Just noticed the overheat light is also on. If the bike isn't physically so hot you'd burn your hands on the engine, it's a wiring fault.

andy_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 15 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
MarJay wrote:
If there is no noise then I'd say it's OK

It sounded normal at idle, got a bit noisier when blipping it to 4K (although the engine was cold by then and both our ERs sound like a bag of spanners until they're warmed up!!)
MarJay wrote:
Check the oil level, take it gingerly for a little while and you'll be grand I reckon.

It was due an oil change anyway so I did that while replacing the indicator and straightening out the gear lever. Smile

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Does the ER5 have a tip-over sensor? If so, then it sounds like it's been triggered.

Nah, it's not that advanced unfortunately.

stinkwheel wrote:
Did you inspect the pressure switch itself?

No, although if the light hadn't gone out then that was next on my list.
stinkwheel wrote:
As a quick and dirty test, the oil in the sight glass should vanish immediately when you push the starter if it's picking up oil properly.
EDIT: Just noticed the overheat light is also on. If the bike isn't physically so hot you'd burn your hands on the engine, it's a wiring fault.

Due to being used daily for short runs in the winter the sight glass is never clear at this time of year...too much condensation in the oil Neutral
Weirdly, when the pressure light went out, so did the temp light.
I need to check mine to see if it does the same.

Anyway...after an oil change, she took it for a short ride and it appeared to behave itself.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1