Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Problems with Stepson

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 15:38 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Pete. wrote:
Empty the bin and find a more subtle way of letting him know who is boss.

When I was a teenager my dad asked me to do the dishes - I didn't.

He asked again the next day - I didn't.

He asked again the next day, I went out and got pissed with my mates.

I came home drunk, pulled back my sheets, found a bed full of 3 day old dishes.

I did the dishes the next day.

Put the contents of the bin in his bed Thumbs Up

Done that before, and all the bin bags.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:43 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got bored with this one... I say just leave them all, screw that shit. Go enjoy yourself. I couldn't take all that shit at home. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know he only gets paid once a building job is complete? I wouldn't trust what he says.

I'd say he knows well that his Mum won't kick him out, he's got the power as neither you or his Mum can make him do stuff.

Don't bother with the bins and stuff, that's the thing you make a child do and as I think Pete says, the longer he leaves it he knows it will wind you up and he'll fell more control.

If you really want to stay then I'd say to to try and help him get an extra job, something to keep him busy rather than stealing and blowing money on drugs. From the sounds of it he's a real lazy shit and it wont work.

Leave but obviously try and stay on good terms, at least with the ones who behaved.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADHD?
bone idle more like

If he does have ADHD
"symptoms such as inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness"
should he be allowed to ride a bike?

so he got issues, we all got issues man

https://i.gifer.com/NlnQ.gif

not all of us are spoilt theivin cunts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a van - they're more comfortable than a tent.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:36 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been with the Mrs 11 and a half years, and my lad is actually my stepson. He has Aspergers (properly diagnosed, etc etc).

We have the occasional flare up in the house, but the difference is that my mrs backs me up. She may not necessarily agree with everything, but if it gets to the point where I am stepping up, she knows that I've had enough. And, the same works the other way. Fortunately, my lad is well behaved, and more times than not when something is going on, just sitting down and talking to him on the same level works wonders.

Having said that, if he stole from us, I'd sell his stuff to reimburse the cost. Without hesitation or a shadow of doubt. I've always taught him that his actions, positive OR negative, will always have repercussions. He has grown up to be a good lad (16 in a couple of months). Again, IF he was 22 and doing that, he'd be out. He can go and stay at his dads if that is the behaviour that he wants to carry on with.

I think that there are two issues here. The main one being that you and your partner aren't on the same page. You have to be when it comes to kids. The second one is that the kid can see that you aren't on the same page and is exploiting that situation to meet his own ends. ADHD or not, he still knows what is right and wrong.

Good luck fella.

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 18:27 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Buy a van - they're more comfortable than a tent.

Got one for work! Thumbs Up Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 18:30 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:
I've been with the Mrs 11 and a half years, and my lad is actually my stepson. He has Aspergers (properly diagnosed, etc etc).

We have the occasional flare up in the house, but the difference is that my mrs backs me up. She may not necessarily agree with everything, but if it gets to the point where I am stepping up, she knows that I've had enough. And, the same works the other way. Fortunately, my lad is well behaved, and more times than not when something is going on, just sitting down and talking to him on the same level works wonders.

Having said that, if he stole from us, I'd sell his stuff to reimburse the cost. Without hesitation or a shadow of doubt. I've always taught him that his actions, positive OR negative, will always have repercussions. He has grown up to be a good lad (16 in a couple of months). Again, IF he was 22 and doing that, he'd be out. He can go and stay at his dads if that is the behaviour that he wants to carry on with.

I think that there are two issues here. The main one being that you and your partner aren't on the same page. You have to be when it comes to kids. The second one is that the kid can see that you aren't on the same page and is exploiting that situation to meet his own ends. ADHD or not, he still knows what is right and wrong.

Good luck fella.

Seems like it and thanks. I am planning on selling his PS4 games to recoup if we don't get it back. His bike has been sold pending collection for £900 so that will cover the theft, Fine, and rent.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBFcarl wrote:

This x14
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock him in the cupboard under the stairs without any dinner.

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 20:20 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bikes been sold, dropped off today £900 paid off almost everything he owes now.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 03 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:

Thumbs Up

Don't leave anything of value anywhere now.

If he can't get it, he can't s̶t̶e̶a̶l̶ borrow it.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or break it, to just annoy you.
Resolving your problem the way you have, you may have made a rod for your own back. Not sure what the answer might have been, but selling his bike is only going to have made him mad, and I expect to hear of his retaliatory behaviour in the near future.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:

Set up a collection mechanism for his new bike immediately.

I suggest some sort of tin with a lock, if such a thing exists (or you can get a second-hand one), in a "public" place, that anyone can put money into.

Make a modest contribution yourself (£20-50?), straight away.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
R1stu wrote:

I suggest some sort of tin with a lock, if such a thing exists (or you can get a second-hand one), in a "public" place, that anyone can put money into.

Why? This is a fully grown adult male. Let him buy his own damn bike with his own damn money.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete speaks sense here! If the kid let his bike payments become outstanding then IMO it shows he wasn't even that serious about keeping hold of his bike or wanting to continue to work hard for the things he wants.

Sounds like he'd long given up on bikes when they started hurting his wallet and he wasn't able to get you to bail him out. He doesn't seem to have any sense of wanting to work hard in a job for anything else either in terms of material possessions or future goals etc.

All he wants is to eek out a sponging existence on hand outs and what he can steal from family.

If I'd had a bike or any other possession that meant everything to me then I'd go to whatever lengths in terms of going without stuff to keep it, short of having a roof over my head.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:00 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

I actually think this is the worst thing you could do for him. He clearly hasn't learnt financial responsibility or that you have to get on with it and make things happen in life.
He still owes money and you should give him £50 to save for another bike that he can't afford and has demonstrated that he doesn't want to pay for?
Now if he got himself a job, paid off his debt, paid some rent and housekeeping, helped out around the house and was a real joy to be around then fck yeah give the guy a leg up.
As it is, he won't appreciate anything you do for him because he doesn't value it. If he did, he'd be doing it for himself.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I actually think this is the worst thing you could do for him. He clearly hasn't learnt financial responsibility or that you have to get on with it and make things happen in life.

"He can use the tin". Psychology at work. I did not say fifty quid, either. £20 would get the idea started. However, it's up to the OP what he does ofc.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beside that hes already demonstrated he is not beyond stealing money out of tins left around for saving money.

How long do you think it would be before this money started walking off on its own.

And I bet he'd caveat it with "whats the problem it was for my bike anyway, i just decided to spend it something else"

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 11:35 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Or break it, to just annoy you.
Resolving your problem the way you have, you may have made a rod for your own back. Not sure what the answer might have been, but selling his bike is only going to have made him mad, and I expect to hear of his retaliatory behaviour in the near future.

He agreed to the sale. His CBT ran out in August last year, and he hasn't ridden it since, hence why he also stopped paying for the bike.

We bagged up the money last night from the holiday fund. turns out over £200 has been taken. he gave us £90 back the other day, and with that, there was £150 in total.

The other half put £150 in space of 2 weeks in there from extra work she took for spending money. No £2 coins at all in there (I put some in myself!)

He said he is still going to pay the fine for SORN next week, so hopefully, all done and dusted, The GF is upset how he could do this and has realized now we can't have a money tin in the house.

I'm banking the cash today, and applying for a post office money card.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Beside that hes already demonstrated he is not beyond stealing money out of tins left around for saving money.

How long do you think it would be before this money started walking off on its own.

And I bet he'd caveat it with "whats the problem it was for my bike anyway, i just decided to spend it something else"

Whoosh.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:
8<

Sounds like progress. Hope it works out well.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1stu wrote:

He said he is still going to pay the fine for SORN next week, so hopefully, all done and dusted, The GF is upset how he could do this and has realized now we can't have a money tin in the house.

Get a Monzo card. It's free to use abroad, no exchange rate charges.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
R1stu wrote:

Revolut do a good'un too

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Never heard of them, have you got one? Not sure if I could trust an unknown with my hard cash if no one else can give feedback.

What I liked about the post office, is I can load it with the currency of the country im going too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5