View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Quote:
Lack of funds also means I can't afford the technological method

You don't have a smartphone?
The way I see it - if I can make what I'm doing work better by using some free apps that take a little bit of extra time, I might as well.
There's never any absolutes with the human body, but I'd prefer to start with being hopefully somewhere near the middle of the 'average' right way - which gives a good chance that my body will be within a standard deviation or two of what works best for it.

To all intents and purposes, no Laughing
I'm ok with how I'm doing it though, thus far. It's working out well, and I enjoy it. I know a few little things about nutrition and such, so I'm not completely blind - enough to achieve half decent results anyway. I've never been hugely fat anyhow - easy to say you find it better to start from such-and-such a position, but most folk who are coming to the fitness thing for the first time don't have that option. Or I guess I've misinterpreted you on that one? Likely Laughing

I think you're very right on people's perceptions of fat these days though. Fat has become normal, and fit has become...abnormal? Or maybe more people just don't care?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get fit at the touch of a button, that's the main problem. You can however, order a pizza at the touch of a button.
Also it seems like only VERY calorific food is delivered Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
You can't get fit at the touch of a button, that's the main problem. You can however, order a pizza at the touch of a button.

Hmmm, gap in the market for fast, healthy food? Or is it just a marketing failure?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:44 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a local place here that will do you calorie/macro nutrient controlled freshly prepared food delivered.
(I've had the idea for something like that for years myself.)

Problem is of course that generally, yes, you do need some effort and delivered food tends to appeal to those who don't want to put effort in.
And steamed chicken and broccoli doesn't exactly entice instant gratification in the same way 4 different types of sliced continental cured sausage with meatballs and extra cheese does!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:16 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
And steamed chicken and broccoli doesn't exactly entice instant gratification in the same way 4 different types of sliced continental cured sausage with meatballs and extra cheese does!

Imagination failure? Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:18 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, there's at least 4 types of Chorizo that are worthy on their own, before we got to the salami, pepperoni etc! Very Happy

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that masculine ability to contort my body in such a way as to look ok in the mirror and continue my life in ignorance of the truth. However I have had some very forward remarks lately… e.g.

“I thought that quitting alcohol would have seen the weight drop off you...”
“You look like a younger Welsh Brian Blessed”
“Bloody hell Daf you’re eating that much <insert food>, ha ha ha...”

Fat shaming FTW!! Wish people were more honest. I knew I was a bit overweight but it’s good to have a reality check. If I was constantly told I was a disgusting fat fuck then I think i'd have done something a lot sooner.

The biggest reality check I had was a holiday snap. I was lying on a sun lounger reading a book and was thinking I looked buff… fuck me it looked like I was storing up fat for particularly bad winter hibernation. I was spilling out all over the shop. That photo made me realise how I’ve let things go.

The cool thing so far, cutting out sugar has completely cleared my head and I feel like I’m more alert with a lot more energy. No longer feel bloated. McDonalds addiction is still strong though, having to pass 4 McDonalds drivethroughs, 1 burger king and 1 KFC on my route home is a right fucker.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 22 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

I got a Strava KOM today hauling KFC uphill. When I got there, I got another order for the same house for Frankie and Bennies. Laughing

p.s out of all the big chains, I'd say that Pizza Express have the nicest healthy option menus.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 28 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this calculator useful

https://www.fetcheveryone.com/wava

put in your age, and your target age grading (WAVA) and it gives you time time to aim for over the respective running distance

Quote:
How Age Grading Works
Age Grading (aka WAVA) uses male and female world record information set by people of all ages. When rating your race time, it takes your age and gender into account. Olympians and world class athletes tend to score close to (or even above) 100. The rest of us won't be so high, but it's a good way to compare performances by different people.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:31 - 29 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Fat shaming FTW!! Wish people were more honest. I knew I was a bit overweight but it’s good to have a reality check. If I was constantly told I was a disgusting fat fuck then I think i'd have done something a lot sooner.

Ask a bunch of kids, they don't hold back. What made me realise was my own kids asking me what the round lumps were on my sides when i had my top off Laughing pointing at my love handles.

I made a bet with them there and then £100 vs Cheese cake I will be 14st by next xmas, I was 17.4 on the 7th of Jan (6.2 hight), now down to 16.7 as of Saturday.

daily diet consist of
Breakfast 40g of cereal with 100ml of milk (bran flakes/spec K)

Lunch £3 meal deal from Tesco - chicken wrap (approx 360cal),fizzy water and chocolate bar, I dont eat the chocolate bar, save them for my kids at home.

Dinner - what ever my wife cooks, normally curry/spagbol/chill/chicken&rice.

Losing weight without any exercise (bad sciatica) and have a desk job most days.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
chicken&rice

Com in, com in, me woman got som chicken an rice an de back burner Cool

I live on chicken and rice. And granola.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first slip up on Sunday. During the day I was mountain biking for about 3 and a half hours and burned around 2,500cals (5,500cals for the day). I was starving and my wife only had to mention stopping at McDonalds for me to jump at the opportunity. I was still in calorie defecit by at least 1,500cals for the day so that wasn't an issue, however Monday and Tuesday I went off the rails and stuffed my face.

I was only in excess for 1 meal as I didn't eat an evening meal last night so still in defecit, but it's surprising how quick I can fall into old routines.

What's really interesting is seeing my stats, as it shows me a typical day of letting myself go. So for anyone interested. My calorie burn on a lazy fat day is...

Calories Burned: 2,400cal
Calories Consumed: 4,000cal

From now on I'm going to focus on keeping a 2,000cals intake. My typical daily burn is about 3,000 when i'm walking everyday so a 1,000cal defecit will take 3 1/2 days to loose 1lb of fat. So hopefully every 7 days i'll lose 2lbs.

In other news...

- Pull Ups: Max is now up to 4, but i'll keep going back to the bar until I complete 20. Once my Max reaches 10 I'll up the total to 40.

- Press ups: Knocking out 5 sets of 16 press ups at the moment. Not done a max rep for a while.

Need to buy a weighing scale as I have no idea if any of this is actually making a dent. My trousers fit slightly better, which is a good indicator but still can't do up the top button of my jeans without it squeezing my fat so i'll use that as a scale.

Once I get on a scale i'll update this post.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

Ask a bunch of kids, they don't hold back. What made me realise was my own kids asking me what the round lumps were on my sides when i had my top off Laughing pointing at my love handles.

I made a bet with them there and then £100 vs Cheese cake I will be 14st by next xmas, I was 17.4 on the 7th of Jan (6.2 hight), now down to 16.7 as of Saturday.

daily diet consist of
Breakfast 40g of cereal with 100ml of milk (bran flakes/spec K)

Lunch £3 meal deal from Tesco - chicken wrap (approx 360cal),fizzy water and chocolate bar, I dont eat the chocolate bar, save them for my kids at home.

Dinner - what ever my wife cooks, normally curry/spagbol/chill/chicken&rice.

Losing weight without any exercise (bad sciatica) and have a desk job most days.
]

Good going there mate fair play. A monetary incentive sounds like a great idea.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat between 4 to 6000kcal a day

I find it hard to eat little on days when I'm not busy though.

Last edited by thx1138 on 11:39 - 30 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on day three of a fast, I won't eat until tomorrow at about 4pm. Last food to pass my lips was Sunday lunch.
Then it will have been a full 96 hours or four full days.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked the only time I went a whole day without eating I was in hosptial having an op

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Shocked the only time I went a whole day without eating I was in hosptial having an op

I think my last fasting occasion was the last bout of the squits.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm on day three of a fast, I won't eat until tomorrow at about 4pm. Last food to pass my lips was Sunday lunch.
Then it will have been a full 96 hours or four full days.

Somehow, that just doesn't sound like a good idea. Don't know why.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got some good goals set Bubbs.

Working in opposite to you I'm always shocked how much I have to eat to put on weight, looking at proper fatties the only way I can see them getting so big is through all the crap food they eat. Sugar and saturated fats seem to be the worst. People who don't look at stats for their food are often surprised to find what they thought was healthy actually isn't. So much of the food and drinks you buy are loaded with extra sugars to make them taste better.

What do you usually drink?

Guy at my last job would always have some massive Maccies ice-cream sugar coffee thing in the morning and drink a few fizzy drinks throughout the day. Just the calories in a few of the drinks would take him up to his daily recommended intake.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 30 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Somehow, that just doesn't sound like a good idea. Don't know why.

Not my first rodeo pardner.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:

What do you usually drink?

Water mostly. Pepsi Max for a treat

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

Fat shaming FTW!! Wish people were more honest.

I've started to fat-shame myself recently.

Anyone who meets me would say I'm not fat at all, but any before/after photo showing how I've changed over the past 3 years would say otherwise. Same as you, I can easily stand a certain way in front of a mirror and convince myself I look okay. Truth is, I'm just lying to myself really and am in fact a slight chunker.

Worse is that my twin brother is into body-building now, so he's an absolute machine while I'm an average 30 year old bloke with a desk job.

I'm not sad about my weight, but I know very well that I'm not the strapping toned young lad I was before. There was a staff team photo taken at work the other day, I was shocked to see the weird middle-aged-looking desk blob I've become. Well, I say 'shocked', I actually found the state of myself in the image quite hilarious, I truly never thought I'd end up looking so mis-shapen.

'Luckily' I caught flu last week (proper flu, not just a bad cold) and got a nice kick start with 3kg or so falling off as I fought the illness.

Also started cycling to work recently. 8 miles each way. My aim is to be in proper shape again before spring is up. All in I've got about 10kg to lose. A quick google tells me that can be done in 2 or 3 months, so if I stay on track I'll be able to achieve the goal.

Good luck with your own fat-loss quest, seems you're really going for it so it shouldn't be too much trouble for you. Thumbs Up Karma

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:36 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
All in I've got about 10kg to lose. A quick google tells me that can be done in 2 or 3 months, so if I stay on track I'll be able to achieve the goal.

1kg/week is the normal suggested maximum. However, the closer you get to your goal weight, generally the better it is to have a lower deficit - as your body is more likely to start losing muscle, when your fat levels are lower.
It's always worth keeping protein high and doing some resistance work to try and promote muscle retention when losing weight.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've done my 4 days. Didn't weigh before so not much point weighing now. I'm going out for dinner with
a mate tonight. I'm quite looking forward to some food, it has to be said. What always amazes me is the awful stuff you
crap out when you're fasting, foul smelling, watery, lumpy shite. I've crapped 8 times since my last meal when I'm
a once a day dumper normally. Just goes to show how much waste is retained, I'm noticeably less bloated. Booked
up for my Sunday lunch at the pub this afternoon. Will probably do the same again next week and have 4 days off
after my Sunday meal. I should add, I've been supplementing my vitamin intake with tablets. It takes more will
(or in this case won't) power than most people can muster to do this kind of thing. But after the shock I got last Sunday
when I was measured round my waist, I found all the motivation I needed to be properly strict with myself.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the 4 day fasting though? Ramadan?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4