Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
What always amazes me is the awful stuff you
crap out when you're fasting, foul smelling, watery, lumpy shite.

I remember seeing a youtube video recommended on my feed a couple of years ago.

It was a gamer/vlogger guy who had decided to lose weight for his fans. He went from whale to normal, via the 'water diet', which is basically a fancy term for fasting.

He noted that he had way worse BO and squirty poos.

Another thing he noticed was that a lot of his scar tissue healed back to being perfect skin. Apparently it's a fairly common theme when fasting.

I've been interested in the fasting/"water" diet for a while but can't bring myself to overcome that first day of hunger.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 31 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
What's with the 4 day fasting though? Ramadan?

Nah, beach wedding in Thailand in about a months time. The acrid BO can also be a problem thing too although
in winter its not so bad. The worst part is being cold all the time, it's easier to fast in summer. But the BO is way
worse. Not my wedding though, so I don't get to choose when it's happening.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 01 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runner rescues stray during a marathon. Laughing

https://www.thedodo.com/close-to-home/marathon-race-runner-rescues-stray-puppy?fbclid=IwAR3PHqJVWR3hFovsTyjTKrPZLXetxrU1SZUwEkQbhxkWVLngt2BhEYJc7Ls
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

**Update** Crying or Very sad
Weight: 217lbs (up from 210)
Fat: 39.9%
Consecutive Pull Ups: 5
Press Ups: 40

I completely fell off the wagon all of last week. I seem to have an addiction to food. I cheated once at the start of last week and then the fucking willpower dissapeared. I was still trying to count calories but fear maybe my guestimating is off somewhat. I did have a few cheat days where I went to fast food joints but I was completely shocked when I got on the scale. I'm suprised how efficient my body is at chucking the fat straight back onto my body once I have a few days off.

I wasn't going to write anything here as I am feeling pretty embarrassed but fuck it, it's part of the journey. I am walking 3 to 4miles every lunchtime, and i'm doing press ups and pull ups which are improving so they must be doing something. But to see an increase in bodyfat and weight was a huge surprise. (I did weigh myself after a 3 course meal but it wouldn't have been 7lbs of food)

Food is clearly my downfall. I'm doing an intermittent fasting programme starting today and keeping away from fast food. How the fuck do you build your will power up to tackle this shit. I used to smoke and have managed to quit, i've quit alcohol, i've quit weed.. why the fuck is food so hard.

When I smoked, I remember the voice in my head leading me to the newsagents to get fags when I was quitting. I'd convince myself I was going to get food but the little monster was really in control. When I got there I would always end up buying Golden Virgina and papers. That voice has been silenced with smoking, but it's moved onto fast food. I'm at the bottom of this huge hill again and it's really difficult to silence it. I pass so many fast food places on the way home it's ridiculous. A cheeky double cheeseburger doesn't even register as a meal in my head, i think of it as a light snack. That fucker is nearly 500cals and I have 2, standard!!!

So intermittent fasting it is. I'm skipping breakfast and trying my damndest to avoid fast food. I find making my food the night before is useful and stops me bingeing. As soon as I forget to do that it all falls down. Bad habbits have been ingrained for many years.. they are a right cunt to break.

Got to keep going....

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can do 5 proper pull ups with that %age of body fat, you must be pretty strong, when you get to the weight you want you'll be able to do loads Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation Bubbs, I'm now trying to get serious about improving my cardio-vascular performance, but I still smoke Rolling Eyes I don't know if it's even possible to improve this as a smoker. It's the one thing I can't seem to quit. Diet is pretty good, rarely touch alcohol, never eat fast food, I now work out loads, no other vices - just this bloody smoking! Mad

I still think you shouldn't try to take on everything at once. Perhaps start by smaller improvements in each area - less fast food, a little more exercise, until you become more accustomed to it - in other words, why not cut back on things rather than try to quit them all cold from the outset?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If it's any consolation Bubbs, I'm now trying to get serious about improving my cardio-vascular performance, but I still smoke Rolling Eyes I don't know if it's even possible to improve this as a smoker. It's the one thing I can't seem to quit. Diet is pretty good, rarely touch alcohol, never eat fast food, I now work out loads, no other vices - just this bloody smoking! Mad

I still think you shouldn't try to take on everything at once. Perhaps start by smaller improvements in each area - less fast food, a little more exercise, until you become more accustomed to it - in other words, why not cut back on things rather than try to quit them all cold from the outset?

Smoking is a right fucker to quit.

Yeah you're right about not doing everything at once, I set myself up to fail a lot I think. My issue is I tell myself I'm not eating something e.g. McDonalds, and I'm strong for ages, but then one burger and the seal has gone and I'm eating everything on the menu. I'm the same with alcohol... if I had one drink tonight, within about 2 weeks i'd be on 2 bottles of wine a night... bloody addictive traits when it comes to shit that's bad for me.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried fasting Bubbs? Just one or perhaps two days a week. I'm mid fast again at the moment, I plan to eat my next
food tomorrow evening. The last I ate was a Sunday roast at 1pm Sunday. So it will be for 3 and a bit days this week.
I would go through to Thursday evening tbh, but the food tomorrow night is a social thing that kind of means I'll have to
eat since it's going for a meal out. Laughing I'm in charge of this ship, not my stomach. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to quit
the fags Chickenstrip, I never had to worry about my weight like I have to now I'm 6 years off the tobacco. I piled on the pounds
when I jacked in the fags though. +2 stone in the first 3 months. I'll get one more 4-dayer in before I go to Thailand (the reason
for stripping some fat in the first place).

The reason getting eating under control is hard is because we will HAVE to do it sooner or later, or die. You can't just
draw a line under it like you can with other addictions. Happy to answer any "Is this normal" questions as you give
it a whirl, the watery poo typically on day 2 is quite a surprise. I made a right mess of our downstairs crapper this morning. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to quit
the fags Chickenstrip, I never had to worry about my weight like I have to now I'm 6 years off the tobacco. I piled on the pounds
when I jacked in the fags though.

Thing is, I'm pretty addicted to this exercise lark now, so I don't think putting on the weight would be a problem, as I want to be doing more as it is - just physically can't, although the improvements in what I can do in just nine months have been marked, and all the flab is gone, and muscle is toning, building and defining now.
I can run (more of a shuffling jog Laughing ) about a hundred yards before I'm out of breath at the moment. Walk for a bit, then repeat. I'm hoping if I keep at it, then the running bit will improve. Even enjoy trying. But will the fags just make it impossible? Oh well, we'll see I guess.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:25 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aiming to start a diet end of the month till mid-May and expect I'll lose a stone with pretty much 500 calories a day. Some people say its bad, but my main source of food is a single meal a day thats processed, which is far worse.

My body drops weight more than it puts it on so its not all bad.

I'd suggest cutting down overall intake, even if its only a few days a week. I can get a whole day on a cucumber (water basically) carrot (water with taste) and potato. I could jazz that potato with really lean/quorn mince. Isn't all that bad. On that for the weeks and a bit more relaxed at weekends but not going over 1000 calories and no junk, I drop weight. People differ though and if people think this is dangerous, you ride bikes.. Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 calories a day does not sound much to me. When i tried that on a 5-2 diet my GP warned me my brain wouldn't function properly.
Of course many would argue it doesn't anyway...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:30 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
500 calories a day does not sound much to me. When i tried that on a 5-2 diet my GP warned me my brain wouldn't function properly.
Of course many would argue it doesn't anyway...

It doesn't sound much, my one meal of the day is over 2500 calories of shit. My body funnels that out pretty quickly.

I don't get hungry, I can spend 15+ hours gaming straight and feel fine with probably 2 pints of water/energy shit and no food. That is unhealthy, but yields results faster and cheaper than going to the gym, which is nowhere near as enjoyable as gaming. Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
**Update** Crying or Very sad
Weight: 217lbs (up from 210)
Fat: 39.9%
Consecutive Pull Ups: 5
Press Ups: 40

I think an issue with doing pull-ups etc is that it adds an extra burden to what you're really trying to do, which is weight loss.

Personally I prefer cardio stuff as it's pure calorie burning and good for the heart and lungs.

Where abouts in the UK are you? A good mega calorie burner is mountain climbing. Pick something high and make a day of going up it. Great way to pass a day off, and it's pretty much guaranteed to burn way more calories than the food you bring along with you. If there are no mountains nearby, a good long walk is just as good.

Also don't be afraid of how difficult cardio can be at first, or how out of breath you can get from heavy exercise. I had a spate where my cardio ended up utterly terrible, I went to the Yorkshire Dales with a mate and nearly blacked out climbing a proper small hill. We camped out and walked some more, the next day I was instantly fitter and managed other hills with ease. It's interesting how fast the body adapts.

Another thing I would suggest (if you aren't doing it this way already) is to do these things with a mate. That way, it's a fun activity/adventure rather than a chore.

I know this is the exact opposite to chickenstrip's advice to do make smaller improvements and work up. Personally I prefer big walloping efforts all at once, so I can forget about it and feel content that I've done enough for the next few days.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
It doesn't sound much, my one meal of the day is over 2500 calories of shit. My body funnels that out pretty quickly.

I didn't realise shit had some much calories in it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:52 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Crying or Very sad

I've been there.
Actually this morning I ate 4 of the brioche buns I got to replace the pack of a colleague's I'd eaten. Two packs of crisps. Three eggs. (After my morning caramel flavoured apple porridge.)
However, ham salad for lunch and it leaves me 490 calories of my 1800. So, not logging my salad/stir fry veg calories, does leave me with enough for a chicken and pork stir fry tonight.

In the past, when times are worse, what has helped me....
Going for the 8 hour eating window - meal at 1, 5 and 9 say, with planned snacks inbetween.
Logging EVERYTHING, including all the messups. Prelogging the day after if I've gone over the day before.
Finding food I like that's filling and low calorie density - for instance, with a meat grinder, make home made burgers from trimmed cheap steak. Low calorie and way nicer than McDonalds for me. (Ideally replace the bread with lettuce and have more burgers.)
I can easily get into bad habits, but I also find that with a bit of effort, good habits can stick too.

Remember when you initially reduce or increase calories, typically your weight will go up or down quite significantly due water retention or lack of.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Personally I prefer cardio stuff as it's pure calorie burning and good for the heart and lungs.

Where abouts in the UK are you? A good mega calorie burner is mountain climbing. Pick something high and make a day of going up it. Great way to pass a day off, and it's pretty much guaranteed to burn way more calories than the food you bring along with you. If there are no mountains nearby, a good long walk is just as good.

Also don't be afraid of how difficult cardio can be at first, or how out of breath you can get from heavy exercise. I had a spate where my cardio ended up utterly terrible, I went to the Yorkshire Dales with a mate and nearly blacked out climbing a proper small hill. We camped out and walked some more, the next day I was instantly fitter and managed other hills with ease. It's interesting how fast the body adapts.

Another thing I would suggest (if you aren't doing it this way already) is to do these things with a mate. That way, it's a fun activity/adventure rather than a chore.

I know this is the exact opposite to chickenstrip's advice to do make smaller improvements and work up. Personally I prefer big walloping efforts all at once, so I can forget about it and feel content that I've done enough for the next few days.

I think Bubbs did say he was doing a lot of walking? But absolutely walking the hills is excellent for losing the pounds and getting fitter. Wish I could afford to go the thirty or so miles into the Lake District to get back to it myself.

And don't be fooled into thinking I always follow my own advice! Laughing
Although I tend to go nuts at it till I drop, then do it again as soon as I feel I've recovered - which sometimes, it turns out I haven't Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went running tonight, first time for ages. Will sign up for the local 10ks and half marathons tonight, and start training for them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 12 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Went running tonight, first time for ages. Will sign up for the local 10ks and half marathons tonight, and start training for them.

People like you make me sick Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:40 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had real difficulty dieting, so I’m trying a new approach.
I’ve told my missus not to buy any biscuits I like when she does the shopping.
That’s the first step, cutting out so many biscuits.
Step two will be reducing the number of packets of crisps we have in the house.

My missus thinks I like dinners the size of Mont-Blanc , so step three will be getting her not to serve up such huge dinners.
This is proving harder than you think.
She is convinced that as I am a big man, I need a good sized dinner.
Bless her heart but she just can’t get her head round smaller dinners.

I’m NEVER going to starve myself, but I will try and be a bit more moderate.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:12 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that actually - one of the massive things for me is removing temptation.
I never keep any biscuits etc around.

I've been trying doing pretty well replacing the temptation for a chocolate bar with the aforementioned caramel flavoured apple porridge (with added sugarly sweetener which is calorie free.) About the same calories as one chocolate bar, but a good lot more weight/volume and hopefully should be better sating too. (150ml skimmed milk, 1/2 gala apple, 5ml of salted caramel flavour, 30g oats; 3 mins in microwave, then sprinkle sweetener on top.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Have you tried fasting Bubbs? Just one or perhaps two days a week. I'm mid fast again at the moment

I've been doing the 16/8 fast. Where I only have an 8 hour eating window. I don't think I could do more than that as lack of food puts me in a foul mood. Are you not eating anything on your fast days? Or is it calorie restricted to a certain calorie limit.

I find my breakfast hunger pisses off around 10:30am and i'm good until around 12:30, then have a light lunch and a huge dinner. I've read that the hunger pangs naturally drop as the weeks progress and leptin signals kick in sooner so you are satiated after less food.

Lord Percy wrote:

I think an issue with doing pull-ups etc is that it adds an extra burden to what you're really trying to do, which is weight loss.

I know this is the exact opposite to chickenstrip's advice to do make smaller improvements and work up. Personally I prefer big walloping efforts all at once, so I can forget about it and feel content that I've done enough for the next few days

I get what you're saying about weight loss. My aim is to keep as much muscle as possible while losing fat, so I guess fat loss is the main goal rather than weight loss.

I live in the mountains so my daily walks are up in the mountains with a decent amount of uphill.

As for doing things with a mate, have 2 very young children so all my time is monopolised. Finding time to do anything is very difficult. I'm trying to get up early mornings for workouts but the 6am alarm goes off and i just can't bring myself to get out of bed.

Quote:
My missus thinks I like dinners the size of Mont-Blanc , so step three will be getting her not to serve up such huge dinners.
This is proving harder than you think.
She is convinced that as I am a big man, I need a good sized dinner.
Bless her heart but she just can’t get her head round smaller dinners.

This is another of my problems. My wife likes a guy that's beefy.... my meals are also huge. I am so used to wolfing down my food that a smaller plate gives me anxiety. Trying to change this is difficult for us both.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:

I've been doing the 16/8 fast. Where I only have an 8 hour eating window. I don't think I could do more than that as lack of food puts me in a foul mood. Are you not eating anything on your fast days? Or is it calorie restricted to a certain calorie limit.

I find my breakfast hunger pisses off around 10:30am and i'm good until around 12:30, then have a light lunch and a huge dinner. I've read that the hunger pangs naturally drop as the weeks progress and leptin signals kick in sooner so you are satiated after less food.

No, not a morsel. I'm very much looking forward to my dinner tonight. Laughing It will have been about 75 hours since my last food.
I find all I can think about is food on day 1. A cup of tea or coffee quells any pangs I get from day two onwards each with a single
level spoon of sugar just to keep that from dropping too low. I also take a multivitamin tablet first thing.

I like to start a fast after a proper good feed so when I did eat last it was a sunday roast beef dinner with plenty of
veg, a sturdy helping too. Although that's probably why day 1 is so much of a frigger for me. The rest of this week I'll
eat once a day but with no limit on portion or what I actually have. That said, stomach shrinkage limits this naturally.
After a fast, it doesn't take nearly as much to make me feel very full.

Portion size is an issue for my missus funnily enough, she works hard with her dancing but eats like a horse to compensate.
We've got a set of Salter digital scales and she's actually been weighing stuff into portions of late. Portions are smaller than
you'd imagine, Laughing turns out she was eating about double her recommended calories but burning most of them off, she's
very busy all the time. But its fair to say her weight has increased a bit over the last two years although a lot of that is muscle.

After a week of weighing her food to proper portion sizes. -2KG She was GOBSMACKED.
And we went out for a massive italian meal one night during that week. She was eating the right stuff, just too much of it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:08 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just eat, and eat, and eat, and eat.

and cycle, and cycle, and cylce

and repeat

I really need to work out some sort of diet plan to get into good shape for the summer, but after a day in the saddle I just can't focus, I hoover up the quickest easiest food in the house.

whole box of cheerios the other night

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel really sorry for all those super fit people.

At the end of their lives, lying in hospital dying of nothing...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:50 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I feel really sorry for all those super fit people.

At the end of their lives, lying in hospital dying of nothing...

Quote:
I just eat, and eat, and eat, and eat.

I'm pretty envious, to be honest!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 72 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4