Bubbs Fat to Fit 2019

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I feel really sorry for all those super fit people.

At the end of their lives, lying in hospital dying of nothing...

Bus analogy aside ...a good set a muscles surrounding ageing/damaged joints certainly helps before you die of nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:28 - 13 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
**Update** Crying or Very sad
Weight: 217lbs (up from 210)
Fat: 39.9%
Consecutive Pull Ups: 5
Press Ups: 40

I completely fell off the wagon all of last week. I seem to have an addiction to food. I cheated once at the start of last week and then the fucking willpower dissapeared. I was still trying to count calories but fear maybe my guestimating is off somewhat. I did have a few cheat days where I went to fast food joints but I was completely shocked when I got on the scale. I'm suprised how efficient my body is at chucking the fat straight back onto my body once I have a few days off.

So intermittent fasting it is. I'm skipping breakfast and trying my damndest to avoid fast food. I find making my food the night before is useful and stops me bingeing. As soon as I forget to do that it all falls down. Bad habbits have been ingrained for many years.. they are a right cunt to break.

Got to keep going....

Good job on the pull/press ups Thumbs Up

My advice would be to stick at it but forget any type of diet or fasting.

I'm in a similar boat as you but with bad sciatica since xmas so I haven't been back in the gym yet.

I have 4 little ones so understand the pressure on time for workouts and also the temptation of all the lovely snacks my wife keeps in the cupboard for them but I think its time you really think what do you want out of life, if you really want to be thinner for whatever reason(mine is health) then you need to stick to within your cals without measuring or fasting. Just 3 square meals a day.

Understand this is coming from someone who has tried many diets over the years and use to have to drop weight for competitions. I've fallen of the food wagon many of times (don't smoke/drink) pulling out my back on Christmas eve really brought it home how much weight I had put on.

Now I stick to my 3 meals a day with no snack and plenty of water and only every eat differently when its an occasion, for example last week we had a work CNY party at a local Chinese so I eat what I like and as much as I like but didn't have any dinner that night, yes I didn't lose any weight that week but I didn't put on any either and the biggest thing was I didn't feel guilty as it was planned. Again tomorrow I have the day off and I will be having afternoon tea with my wife, I expect cakes and all sorts but its planned and I've stuck to my 3 daily meals everyday this year so I'm happy to make the exception.

I guess what I'm saying is, you need to stop focusing on food and the diet itself as you will drive yourself mad trying to fit things in and over guesstimating/cheating and convince yourself its OK, constantly thinking of food. Know the rules that all food is out apart from your 3 meals/cals a day. When I was training/fighting a min of 2 hours a day I was on 2100cals a day and losing on average 2lb a week so for an hour gym work out and a desks job i'm happy on 1800 cals.

Good luck.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:55 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:

For me, that'd be terrible advice! (But for some does work well.)

What can lead to 'yoyo' issues for some is trying to go too hard, as perhaps Bubbs has done - so even aim for a steady 1lb a week loss rather than 2lb - in a year it'll be much better to have lost 52lb, than ending up only losing 10lb because it's been a constant up and down.

For me, a bit of cheating works okay. Partly because I generally have my calories set a bit low.
Providing it's consistent and doesn't go too far; all works out.
For instance I never count salad or veg calores - though I stick to low calorie density in both, I do tend to eat a lot of both too.
There's also often little nibbles etc that don't get added.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

What can lead to 'yoyo' issues for some is trying to go too hard

This is what I mean. It's all very well for those who are already at a good level of fitness to say you gotta quit this or do that. But if you're coming at it from years of neglect, it'll be almost impossible to suddenly adopt a perfectly healthy lifestyle I think. But each time you get used to giving up one bad thing, or increasing one type of exercise a bit, the next step becomes a bit easier to assimilate into the program. I've found that improving my diet got easier as I got a bit fitter just from regular but not extreme exercise, as it seemed I started to crave more of the right things. Not perfect, still lapsed a bit, but in small steps like this, I have been able to make permanent diet changes, bit by bit.

(Otoh, something I used to find when on deployments in the cold winters in Germany, you get to a point when you're tired and hungry enough that you'll eat anything - that's the time to make sure you've only got healthy choices around!)

Same with the exercise. At first, I kept it to a point where I wasn't working till I dropped, but had a little set of exercises to do that didn't tax me too much. Then, when that got too easy, I added a bit more, and a bit more, and so on. Now, I find that I can enjoy working till I'm ready to drop now and again BUT...I don't make a point of feeling I have to do that every time if, for instance, I'm not feeling tip-top and facing a hard session might put me off altogether. I find it's better to do something, than nothing at all if I'm supposed to be working out. Usually, I'll achieve more than I expect to once I've actually got going.

I have a number of physical problems that hold me back, and for years used this as an excuse not to bother at all. But now I just think, well, it'll be harder and progress will be slower for me. Once I had accepted that, it was easier to accept that I'm not going to be super fit anytime soon. As long as I see improvements happening, it doesn't really matter if it's in small increments. I'm thinking of just general healthier living rather than any kind of sport/competition of course.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:38 - 14 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
sensi5446 wrote:

For me, that'd be terrible advice! (But for some does work well.)

What can lead to 'yoyo' issues for some is trying to go too hard, as perhaps Bubbs has done - so even aim for a steady 1lb a week loss rather than 2lb - in a year it'll be much better to have lost 52lb, than ending up only losing 10lb because it's been a constant up and down.

For me, a bit of cheating works okay. Partly because I generally have my calories set a bit low.
Providing it's consistent and doesn't go too far; all works out.
For instance I never count salad or veg calores - though I stick to low calorie density in both, I do tend to eat a lot of both too.
There's also often little nibbles etc that don't get added.

Fair point Thumbs Up its just my advice, I'm the type of person that doesn't eat a lot of fast food, snacks, sweets etc. My issue is I eat to big a portion of home cooked food and I very rarely get full so I guess its easier for me to portion control as I'm not tempted by Mac Ds etc.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. Helpful having opinions from others struggling with this shit.

So here are the before and current pictures. One was taken right at the beginning of January and the other was the start of this week. I don't understand why the scales are reading that i'm in a worse position than when I began, but these two pictures look quite different to me. Maybe it's the lighting or something? Not sure.

This was me at the begining.
https://i.imgur.com/mI0q0vC.jpg?1

During the week..
https://i.imgur.com/jcaqvGP.jpg?1

I'm just going to keep on trucking I think and not pay much attention to what the scales are telling me. I am consistently coming in 2k cals or under and i'm walking and doing some kid of bodyweight exercise everyday.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be building muscle which weighs more than fat.

That's my excuse for quitting the gym anyway Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:49 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back to normal eating for a few days, with a further 4 day fast planned for next week.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
My guess would be building muscle which weighs more than fat.

That's my excuse for quitting the gym anyway Embarassed

I don't have scales, but reckon my weight probably hasn't changed that much despite getting rid of all the flab, for the above reason. There are other measures than weight to check progress.

Got my 6mile walk/jog time down to 1hr 40min (from 1hr 54 first timed one) today. No fucking around with detours to avoid floods this time though. Yesterday I didn't time it cos it felt like I nearly had a heart attack so had a longish break Laughing I've got certain sections I make sure I jog, hoping to speed up and lengthen these in time. Christ, I thought I was getting fit till I started doing this Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 15 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also why I have absolutely NO confidence at all in the BMI
(Bollocks Mass Index)

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:

I'm in a similar boat as you but with bad sciatica since xmas so I haven't been back in the gym yet.

My Dad has Sciatica. So bad he actualy had to have a morphine injection once and had to take Ibuprofen daily. Id had a lot of success using a TENS machine for some joint pain so last year I bought him one. It worked realy well and hes off the Ibuprofen completely and hes not bothered with the sciatica hardly ever now. The one i got him was from LLoyds chemist and was less than £25

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:37 - 27 Feb 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
sensi5446 wrote:

My Dad has Sciatica. So bad he actualy had to have a morphine injection once and had to take Ibuprofen daily. Id had a lot of success using a TENS machine for some joint pain so last year I bought him one. It worked realy well and hes off the Ibuprofen completely and hes not bothered with the sciatica hardly ever now. The one i got him was from LLoyds chemist and was less than £25

Thanks Thumbs Up I've never heard of it before but will look it up, cheers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4