Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hate that bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with grr666, never been that bothered, tried one and hated it. Reminded me of when I cornered on a vespa and ground it out. As for cylinders, 1 for fun, 2 whilst having soul, isn't quite as pokey as 3 and 4 just makes long miles easy. Didn't guzzi do 180mph on a v8 60 years ago?

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:58 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I've only ridden one once. I was beweildered by the fact that opening the throttle just made it make more noise and increased the vibration.

Fortunately nobody saw me riding it.

Fat birds and Harleys. Mr. Green

But still better than any other factory custom.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
It's a shame really that all Harley riders are lumped into a 'they'...all several million of them.

You protest a lot. Midlife crisis, Harley, leather chaps?

If you want people to stop ripping the piss, then stop the *vast majority* of wannabee badasses doing the whole "'aint Harley, 'aint shit" thing. Most of them do it. I can count on one hand how many Harley riders nod. I could be a dual arm amputee and count how many nod if I'm on the VFR.

So in short - unless proved otherwise, Fuck em. Sideways. With a set of fishtails.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:19 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
biker7 wrote:
It's a shame really that all Harley riders are lumped into a 'they'...all several million of them.

You protest a lot. Midlife crisis, Harley, leather chaps?

If you want people to stop ripping the piss, then stop the *vast majority* of wannabee badasses doing the whole "'aint Harley, 'aint shit" thing. Most of them do it. I can count on one hand how many Harley riders nod. I could be a dual arm amputee and count how many nod if I'm on the VFR.

So in short - unless proved otherwise, Fuck em. Sideways. With a set of fishtails.

When I rode a Gixxer, Harley's did not nod. When I rode a Harley, Gixxers did not nod (except me on both counts). Some bikers are arseholes...brand/genre notoriety is largely a myth. I wave to all except mopeds and not all of them are arseholes, either Confused . I'd wave to you on your VFR even on a Harley. Would you wave back? To some, VFR riders are boring tossers and to others, sluggish, blingy cruiser riders, stuck up....yawn!!! But to say either group of riders are inferior...........! As for proof, neither would be interested anyway! For me, I think a VFR and a Fat Bob are equally great bikes in different ways but.....a Z1000 blows them both away!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this thread has derailed way OT. But fuck all the Harley snobs, I actually know more people like you that own or have owned them who also ride 90's Jap sports bikes.

Two things though:

1, I have and never will get why Japanese cruisers are so ridiculed and looked down on compared to generally inferior built and less advanced HD's though. 4 cams, 8valves, balancer shafts and EFI all sound superior to the original iron horse IMO. And some of the Japanese bikes go and stop alot better too. But they are seen as pure horse shit compared to an HD generally?

2, Generalisations and pigeon holing, well this is the norm and something I believe in to a large extent. You could have 200 BCF'ers that don't claim to be bikers but they are all individuals instead. What a load of Bullshit that is. You won't get 200 different opinions on any subject or about any bike. Therefore alot of these so called self proclaimed individuals are the same or close enough to box up into little groups. It does no harm to have lots of little groups of the same thinkers and opinion people anyway as more people are defined by having a common interest, or feeling than not.

There's not enough bikes or opinions out there for us to all have something so totally different or to have such conflicting different thoughts, we like animals like to associate ourselves with other like minded folk and stick to a group we have a common view/feeling/connection with, so by and large the whole individual thing in all areas of life is total horse shit.

Takes more balls to admit we are a load of clones and fanbois than it does to pretend we are all free thinking highly opinionated independent individuals though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:16 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo just did a baby tef..... bless.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
NC700X - Boring as fuck, although I'll give it credit for being probably the best at what it's designed to do.

honestly the worst bike I've ever used. It's like driving a car without any of the benefits that you'd get from a normal car.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Harleys and cruisers. Hate is too strong a word, as they never inflicted trauma on me as the 400 Superdream did - I never rode one. But if I did ride one, I suspect they would, so I won't ever do that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
honestly the worst bike I've ever used. It's like driving a car without any of the benefits that you'd get from a normal car.

Interesting thing about the bikes that tend to get disliked... They all seem a bit car-like. Too bland, refined and understated when they're ridden... Nobody wants a 2-wheeled Prius.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
NC700X / NC750X was on my list of bikes to consider buying next. Think I'm set on a V-Strom though but these bikes did appeal to me... Until I realised the power and torque is less than the ER6 I done my test on. They're probably fantastic commuters.

They are, especially if you have a mix of roads, NSL, 30, 40 etc.

Frugal as fcuk.

Exiting as fcuk.

Would certainly have to be a second bike, not my only ride.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm honest I like basically all bikes, even the Shadow has a small place in my heart.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:45 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harleys. Everyone has an opinion on them.

If you're never ridden one, you definately won't get it. They are shit on paper. They can also be shit to ride, depending on what you're trying to get out of it. A stock sportster 883 is shit. Once you've done the exhaust, intake and remap, it's quite good.

They're different to ride, which is why I like them. They make every Japanese bike feel the same. Too revvy, too polished.

I found them to be incredibly reliable, never had any trouble. Good finish too, which is to be expected. Harley are not scrimping on the paint, powder coat or chrome to save weight or cost. They are heavy, expensive bikes.

Harley group riders can be dicks, just like any other group of riders (sportsbike riders, baaklaaf). Riding in groups turns people into arseholes.

I like Harleys. I've had two, I'll have more in the future. I'll also have more Japanese and European bikes.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:29 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Harleys. Everyone has an opinion on them.

If you're never ridden one, you definately won't get it. They are shit on paper. They can also be shit to ride, depending on what you're trying to get out of it. A stock sportster 883 is shit. Once you've done the exhaust, intake and remap, it's quite good.

They're different to ride, which is why I like them. They make every Japanese bike feel the same. Too revvy, too polished.

I found them to be incredibly reliable, never had any trouble. Good finish too, which is to be expected. Harley are not scrimping on the paint, powder coat or chrome to save weight or cost. They are heavy, expensive bikes.

I like Harleys. I've had two, I'll have more in the future. I'll also have more Japanese and European bikes.

This was my 883 Iron. Loved the colour. Put forward controls on cos I'm 6'. Gutted the exhaust and did a decat. Sounded nice - really throaty. Used to enjoy every ride. As said above, a bit tricky to ride, not for beginners but brill for cutting through the traffic in town, slim and nippy and always got thumbs up from taxi drivers leaning out of windows etc, more so than any Jap bike I've had, except maybe the 2 Hayabusas . I have owned and ridden many bikes of all types . This Iron is up there with the best. It was just so much fun to ride. Two bikes I've owned previously that I would have back in a trice are my Daytona 675 and the green Harley. Sometimes we don't know why we hate or love a bike but no one can take that away from you, either way. Had a Yam 250 custom 25 years ago that was soooo slow - hated that a bit!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
My YBR is painfully slow but I still love it. I'll probably hate it after I get my next bike...

I didn't mind them. Bland, rather than hateful.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
always got thumbs up from taxi drivers leaning out of windows etc

I was on board until this bit.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, thumbs-up from taxi drivers and a Harley Sportster being 'not for beginners' Laughing kind of gives the game away as to why it was bought in the first place.

People have asked me whether my bike is a 125 (probably because of the narrow 90s-style rear wheel). That's fine with me. I have just a few roads that I use to seriously challenge myself, and which I've set up my shocks and brakes and ride for.

These are the things I value:
1) Function over form (monoshock better than traditional twin shock, cradle frame better than 80s UJM, trellis and engine-as-stressed-member overhead frames as the best, OHC better than pushrods, etc.)
2) Solo riding over group riding
3) Whether I took that familiar hilly country road bend (where I test myself) to the best of my ability
4) Cost-effectiveness (never having to think twice about putting in fuel, replacing tyres, oil, etc. because I haven't blown thousands on a bike)

I appreciate that not everyone shares the same set of values. But the opinion of taxi drivers and random people in the street, and wanting to be thought of as a highly experienced and skilled rider (whether as reason to buy a Hayabusa or a Harley), etc. is something I would strenuously walk backwards from. Probably a generational thing at work there, and a lot in common with rider attitudes in the USA, where the licensing/testing process is easier, but in any case, there you go. IIRC, when Hunter S Thompson took a Ducati 900SS out for a ride, he had the class to admit he never went faster than 95mph on it, and that the bike scared him when he pushed it, and he never pulled out the 'this machine is not for beginners, son' card. Well, realistically, this is the optimum country right here for 95mph blasts on winding country roads, and neither a Busa nor a Harley is the right machine for that sort of riding. In the USA a Honda Rebel 250 is the beginner's beginner bike, and is derided after a mere couple of hours riding around a car park. It's as if they spend a couple of hours on a 250 to get their ticket, and then rush to the showroom to get their tricked-out Harley or stretch(?) Hayabusa. But I've yet to see any video footage of someone pushing a Rebel 250 to its limit. You can stretch your credit limit far easier than a bike's limit.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
I think there's a lot of needless flaming/trolling going on in this thread... Can't we all just respect one another and sit around sucking each others cocks telling each other how good we all are rather than having a dig at each other?

And I would hope so as well. Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
People have asked me whether my bike is a 125

Someone once asked me if a CBF1000 was a 125 Folded arms I often get asked that about the big bike I'm riding or someone refers to it as a moped Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 27 Jan 2019    Post subject: ) Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Bhud wrote:
People have asked me whether my bike is a 125

Someone once asked me if a CBF1000 was a 125 Folded arms I often get asked that about the big bike I'm riding or someone refers to it as a moped Mad

Is that because you a a rather large person.

(please note the non hate crime of not calling you a fat bastard)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11